04. Dream team.

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

FOUR. Dream team.

WHOEVER THE GOD OF NIGHTMARES WAS, they seriously had it out for Celosia. There were the rare nights that she had no dreams, the ones that weren't so bad where she was fighting a monster or where she was back at home, trying her hardest to fit in.

Then there were the frequent nights where she dreamt of Luke.

They'd start out normally, going canoeing with him and Aasha, sword training, sneaking off for lunch in the forest. Just when she was starting to enjoy herself and forget that she was dreaming, the scene would change.

They were always behind the Hermes cabin, exactly how it happened the year before. Luke would start off telling Celosia that he loved her; she was like the little sister he never had. Then he would confess his alliance with Kronos, explaining his hatred for his father and the rest of the gods for neglecting their children and never being there when they needed them most.

"We could use someone like you on our side," he'd tell her, although, in the dream, he looked more evil.

Celosia would shake her head no and tell Luke that he was being manipulated and that in the long run, this wouldn't be worth it. She'd tell him, "I'd never do that to my siblings. Not in a million years."

He'd beg her to hear him out. "Please don't make me do this, Cel," he pleaded. His desperate voice and the way he clung onto her hand would circle her memories for months. Years.

She'd have no idea what he was talking about. Repeating, "Do what? Luke, what is he making you do?" over and over and over and over again as he slid his new sword out of the sheath wrapped around his waist.

The image of the half-steel, half-celestial bronze blade would stay in her mind for the rest of her life. Seeing it in her dreams was always enough to give her chills once she woke up.

Celosia would never, ever forget the way he thrust his blade towards her. The way she barely dodged it. The feeling of the blade slicing open the side of her torso. The way she clutched her side and fell to her knees, strangled sobs ripping through her throat. The way Luke had left her there to die.

But something about this dream was different.

Instead of trying to kill her, Luke dropped his sword and surged forward, grabbing her shoulders with a grip so strong he could've shattered her bones.

"Celosia, I need your help," he said, panicked eyes searching her face.

"Wha—what?" She reached up to grab his arms. "What's going on? Why aren't you trying to stab me?"

"I need help!" Luke raised his voice. "Help me!"

Celosia woke with a start, shooting up in bed and putting a hand on her chest to catch her breath. It was still dark out, and all her siblings were asleep.

Despite being awake, Luke's cries for help didn't stop. He sounded so close, yet so far away.

Celosia jumped down from her bunk, rushing to pull on a pair of sneakers before bursting out of her cabin and sprinting towards his voice. She should've been afraid of getting caught, but all she cared about was finding Luke.

She skidded to a halt when she reached the beach, and Luke was nowhere to be seen. Instead, she found Percy Jackson, four bright yellow duffle bags, and a thermos.

"Percy?" she asked breathlessly. "Where's Luke?"

Percy furrowed his brows. "Luke?"

"I—I heard him," Celosia said, searching the beach. "I swear, I did."

Before Percy could reply and probably call her crazy, two more people came running down the beach. Annabeth and Tyson looked like they were also abruptly awoken, keeling over to catch their breath.

"What's going on?" Annabeth asked Percy. "I heard you calling for help!"

"Me, too!" Tyson said. "Heard you yell, 'Bad things are attacking!'"

"Yeah, same here," Celosia lied, crossing her arms. "Bad things. Yep."

"I didn't call you guys," Percy said after narrowing his eyes at Celosia. "I'm fine."

"But then who..." Annabeth noticed the four yellow duffel bags, then the thermos and the bottle of vitamins Percy was holding. "What—"

"Just listen," he said. "We don't have much time."

Percy went on to explain his interaction with Hermes. Basically, he wanted the four of them to go on a quest to retrieve the Golden Fleece. By the time Percy was finished, Celosia could hear screeching in the distance—patrol harpies picking up their scent.

"Percy," Annabeth said. "We have to do the quest."

"But this is Clarisse's quest," Celosia argued. "Plus, we'll get expelled if we leave without Tantalus's permission."

"There won't be a camp for any of us to come back to if we don't go," Annabeth told her.

Celosia shook her head. "I don't care. I'm sorry, but I'm not taking this away from Clarisse, nor am I risking getting expelled from camp."

"Fine. You can stay." Annabeth turned to Percy. "You ready?"

Percy faltered. "But you promised Chiron—"

"I promised I'd keep you from danger. I can only do that by coming with you! Tyson can stay behind and tell them—"

"I want to go," Tyson said.

"No!" Annabeth's voice sounded close to panic. "I mean... Percy, come on. You know that's impossible."

"We can't leave him," Percy decided. "Tantalus will punish him for us being gone."

"Percy," Annabeth said, trying to keep her cool, "we're going to Polyphemus's island! Polyphemus is an S-i-k... a C-y-k..." She stamped her foot in frustration. As smart as she was, Annabeth was dyslexic, too. Celosia thought they could've been there all night while she tried to spell Cyclops. "You know what I mean!"

"We all have to go," Percy insisted, then his eyes fell on Celosia. "Especially you."

She stared at him incredulously. "Me?"

He nodded. "Hermes mentioned you specifically. You're not gonna disobey a god, are you?"

"I don't—" Celosia spared a glance behind her, where the harpies were now getting closer. "I guess not," she answered quietly, turning back to the group.

"All right," Annabeth said. "How do we get to that ship?"

"Hermes said my father would help."

"Then what are you waiting for, Shark Boy? Christmas?" Celosia asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

Percy opened his mouth to respond but decided against it and turned to face the ocean. "Um, Dad?" he called. "How's it going?"

"Percy!" Annabeth whispered. "What the fuck are you doing?"

He shot a glare over his shoulder. "We need your help," he called a little louder. "We need to get to that ship, like, before we get eaten and stuff, so..."

"We're dead," Celosia decided, crossing her arms.

At first, nothing happened. Waves crashed against the shore like normal. The harpies sounded like they were right behind the sand dunes. Then, about one hundred yards out to sea, three white lines appeared on the surface. They moved fast toward the shore, like claws ripping through the ocean.

As they neared the beach, the surf burst apart and the heads of four white stallions reared out of the waves.

Tyson caught his breath. "Fish ponies!"

He was right. As the creatures pulled themselves onto the sand, Celosia saw that they were only horses in the front; their back halves were silvery fish bodies with glistening scales and rainbow tail fins.

"Hippocampi!" Annabeth said. "They're beautiful."

The nearest one whinnied in appreciation and nuzzled Celosia. "Can I keep it?" she asked mindlessly.

"We'll admire them later," Percy said. "Come on!"

"There!" a voice screeched behind them. "Bad children out of cabins! Snack time for lucky harpies!"

Five of them were fluttering over the top of the dunes—plump little hags with pinched faces and talons and feathery wings too small for their bodies. They reminded Celosia of miniature cafeteria ladies who'd been crossbred with dodo birds. They weren't very fast, thank the gods, but they were vicious if they caught you.

"Tyson!" Percy said. "Grab a duffel bag!"

He was still staring at the hippocampi with his mouth hanging open. "Tyson!"

"Uh?"

"Come on!"

Percy tossed Celosia a bag and helped her mount one of the hippocampi. Poseidon must've known Tyson was one of the passengers, because one hippocampus was much larger than the other two—just right for carrying a Cyclops.

"Giddyup!" Percy said, and Celosia wondered if he'd ever felt embarrassment a day in his life. His hippocampus turned and plunged into the waves. Annabeth's, Celosia's, and Tyson's followed right behind.

The harpies cursed at them, wailing for their snacks to come back, but the hippocampi raced over the water at the speed of Jet Skis. The harpies fell behind, and soon the shore of Camp Half-Blood was nothing but a dark smudge. Celosia wondered if she'd ever see it again. But right then, she had other problems.

⋆˚✿˖°

The cruise ship was now looming in front of them—their ride toward Florida and the Sea of Monsters.

Riding the hippocampus was even easier than riding a pegasus. They zipped along with the wind in their faces, speeding through the waves so smooth and steady that Celosia hardly needed to hold on at all. But since she wasn't a very strong swimmer, she held on for dear life.

As they got closer to the cruise ship, Celosia realized just how huge it was. She felt as though she were looking up at a building in Manhattan. The white hull was at least ten stories tall, topped with another dozen levels of decks with brightly lit balconies and portholes. The ship's name was painted just above the bow line in black letters, lit with a spotlight. It took her a few seconds to decipher it: PRINCESS ANDROMEDA.

Attached to the bow was a huge masthead—a three-story-tall woman wearing a white Greek chiton, sculpted to look as if she were chained to the front of the ship. She was young and beautiful, with flowing black hair, but her expression was one of absolute terror. The sight of the statue almost made Celosia turn her hippocampus around and take her chances with the harpies.

"How do we get aboard?" Annabeth shouted over the noise of the waves, but the hippocampi seemed to know what they needed. They skimmed along the starboard side of the ship, riding easily through its huge wake, and pulled up next to a service ladder riveted to the side of the hull.

"You go first," Percy told Annabeth.

She slung her duffel bag over her shoulder and grabbed the bottom rung. Once she'd hoisted herself onto the ladder, her hippocampus whinnied a farewell and dove under-water. Annabeth began to climb. Celosia let her get a few rungs up, then followed her.

Percy came after her, and soon enough, Tyson was the only one left in the water. His hippocampus was treating him to 360° aerials and backward ollies, and Tyson was laughing so hysterically, the sound echoed up the side of the ship.

"Tyson, shhh!" Percy said. "Come on, big guy."

"Can't we take Rainbow?" he asked, his smile fading.

Celosia paused climbing to look down at him, her expression judgmental. "Rainbow?"

The hippocampus whinnied as if he liked his new name.

"Um, we have to go," Percy said. "And Rainbow... can't climb ladders."

Tyson sniffled. He buried his face in the hippocampus's mane. "I will miss you, Rainbow!"

The hippocampus made a neighing sound that Celosia could've sworn was crying.

"Maybe we'll see him again sometime," Percy suggested.

"Oh, please!" Tyson said, perking up immediately. "Tomorrow!"

He didn't make any promises, but Percy finally convinced Tyson to say his farewells and grab hold of the ladder. With a final sad whinny, Rainbow the hippocampus did a backflip and dove into the sea.

The ladder led to a maintenance deck stacked with yellow lifeboats. There was a set of locked double doors, which Annabeth managed to pry open with her knife, and a fair amount of cursing in Ancient Greek.

Celosia figured they'd have to sneak around the ship, being stowaways and all. So imagine her surprise when the group discovered that the ship seemed to be completely empty. It was the middle of the night, sure, but they passed by dozens of cabins and heard nothing from all of them.

"It's a ghost ship," Percy murmured.

Celosia side-eyed him. "Then who the fuck is driving this thing?" she asked nervously.

Percy shrugged. "A ghost?"

"No," Tyson said, fiddling with the strap of his duffel bag. "Bad smell."

Annabeth frowned. "I don't smell anything."

"Cyclopes are like satyrs," Percy said. "They can smell monsters. Isn't that right, Tyson?"

He nodded nervously. Now that they were away from Camp Half-Blood, the Mist had distorted his face again. Unless Celosia concentrated very hard, it seemed that he had two eyes instead of one.

"Okay," Annabeth said. "What exactly do you smell?"

"Something bad," Tyson answered.

"Great," Annabeth grumbled. "That clears it up."

"I've never felt so safe," Celosia mumbled sarcastically.

They came outside on the swimming pool level. There were rows of empty deck chairs, and a bar closed off with a chain curtain. The water in the pool glowed eerily, sloshing back and forth from the motion of the ship. 

Above them were more levels—a climbing wall, a putt-putt golf course, a revolving restaurant, but no sign of life.

Still, Celosia wasn't put at ease. If anything, she'd prefer if the ship was full, and they had to sneak around. The emptiness was eerie and made her more nervous than she already was.

"We need a hiding place," Percy said. "Somewhere safe to sleep."

"Sleep," Annabeth agreed wearily.

Celosia managed a tired nod.

They explored a few more corridors until they found an empty suite on the ninth level. The door was open, which struck Celosia as weird. There was a basket of chocolate goodies on the table, an iced-down bottle of sparkling cider on the nightstand, and a mint on the pillow with a handwritten note that said: Enjoy your cruise!

They opened their duffel bags for the first time and found that Hermes really had thought of everything—extra clothes, toiletries, camp rations, a Ziploc bag full of cash, a leather pouch full of golden drachmas. He'd even managed to pack Tyson's oilcloth with his tools and metal bits and Annabeth's cap of invisibility, which made them both feel a lot better.

Somehow, he'd gotten a hold of Celosia's stuffed bunny and put it at the top of all her things in the bag. She quickly shoved it under a hoodie and zipped the bag up frantically.

"We'll be next door," Annabeth said, nudging Celosia. "Don't drink or eat anything."

"You think this place is enchanted?" Percy asked.

She frowned. "I don't know. Something isn't right. Just... be careful."

"I'm with Annabeth," Celosia added, shouldering her bag. "Something's off."

When the girls got to their room, they locked the door behind them. Annabeth and Celosia decided to share the bed, turning away from each other and falling asleep swiftly.

⋆˚✿˖°

Fortunately, Celosia had a dreamless sleep.

She woke up to the sound of a ship whistle and a voice over the intercom—some guy with an Australian accent that sounded way too happy.

"Good morning, passengers! We'll be at sea all day today. Excellent weather for the poolside mambo party! Don't forget million-dollar bingo in the Kraken Lounge at one o'clock, and for our special guests, disemboweling practice on the Promenade!"

Annabeth and Celosia turned to face each other.

"What did he say?" Celosia asked, reaching up to rub the sleep out of her eyes.

"Disemboweling practice?" Annabeth repeated, sitting up.

"Okay, I thought I was imagining that part," Celosia mumbled, turning onto her back.

Annabeth got out of bed, her braids pulled back into a messy bun, and she knocked loudly on the door that connected their suite to Percy and Tyson's.

Percy opened the door, and she poked her head in to ask if they heard the same thing. Percy confirmed that he had, but Tyson heard something about bowling.

Once they were all dressed, they ventured out into the ship and were surprised to see other people. A dozen senior citizens were heading to breakfast. A dad was taking his kids to the pool for a morning swim. Crew members in crisp white uniforms strolled the deck, tipping their hats to the passengers.

Nobody asked who they were. Nobody paid them much attention. But there was something wrong.

As the family of swimmers passed by, the dad told his kids: "We are on a cruise. We are having fun."

"Yes," his three kids said in unison, their expressions blank. "We are having a blast. We will swim in the pool."

They wandered off.

"They sound psyched," Celosia mumbled to Percy, watching the family with her eyebrows furrowed.

"Never heard anyone more excited to go swimming, honestly," he mumbled back.

They shared a small smile.

"Good morning," a crew member told them, his eyes glazed. "We are all enjoying ourselves aboard the Princess Andromeda. Have a nice day." He drifted away.

"Guys, this is weird," Annabeth whispered. "Everyone's in some sort of trance."

Then they passed a cafeteria and saw their first monster. It was a hellhound—a black mastiff with its front paws up on the buffet line and its muzzle buried in the scrambled eggs. It must've been young, because it was small compared to most—no bigger than a grizzly bear. Chills ran up Celosia's spine.

The weird thing was: a middle-aged couple was standing in the buffet line right behind the devil dog, patiently waiting their turn for the eggs. They didn't seem to notice anything out of the ordinary.

"Not hungry anymore," Tyson murmured.

Before anyone could reply, a reptilian voice came from down the corridor: "Ssssix more joined yesssterday."

Celosia's eyes went wide as Annabeth rushed them into the nearest hiding spot: the woman's restroom. Percy's face turned as red as a tomato.

Something—or more like two somethings—slithered past the bathroom door, making sounds like sandpaper against the carpet.

"Yesss," a second reptilian voice said. "He drawssss them. Ssssoon we will be sssstrong."

The things slithered into the cafeteria with a cold hissing that might have been snake laughter.

Annabeth looked at Percy. "We have to get out of here."

"You think I want to be in the woman's restroom?"

Celosia slapped his arm. "She means the ship, idiot!"

"Smells bad," Tyson agreed. "And dogs eat all the eggs. Annabeth is right. We must leave the restroom and ship."

Then Celosia heard another voice outside—one that chilled her worse than any monster's.

"—only a matter of time. Don't push me, Agrius!"

It was Luke, beyond a doubt. She could never forget his voice.

"Luke," she mumbled, bringing a hand up to ghost over where her scar was. Suddenly, she was fourteen again, begging him to help her. Begging him not to leave.

"I'm not pushing you!" another guy growled. His voice was deeper and even angrier than Luke's. "I'm just saying, if this gamble doesn't pay off—"

"It'll pay off," Luke snapped. "They'll take the bait. Now, come, we've got to get to the admiralty suite and check on the casket."

Their voices receded down the corridor.

Tyson whimpered. "Leave now?"

"We can't," Celosia said quickly, without thinking.

Unexpectedly, Annabeth backed her up. "We have to find out what Luke is up to," she agreed. "And if possible, we're going to beat him up, bind him in chains, and drag him to Mount Olympus."

MATTHEO.
Yeah celosia ain't beating up shit btw

Lil sneak peek into her dark past ...

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro