008 | Bring Me Back from the Dead

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"What are you going to do now?" asks Boo Seoyeon, one of the supposed bridesmaids. Yeah, because I was supposed to get married, but this won't happen. "I mean, even though Tamhee was the love of your life, you need to move on."

Although she just means to be supportive and tries to cheer me up, Seoyeon's words are outright blunt, maybe even a little disrespectful. She's talking about the woman I was supposed to marry and who, unfortunately, is no longer with us.

Indeed, Tamhee died a few days ago for unknown reasons. Someone claims that she died in her sleep for natural causes, others say that she probably committed suicide. I don't want to know the reason why she was taken away from this world. I just want her back!

But what if Seoyeon is right? What if I have to accept that Tamhee is dead? I guess this is it, and that only time will be able to heal the bruises in my soul, even though only in part.

After days, weeks, months of tears and reminiscences, it looks like someone has finally listened to my prayers. In fact, a pale, ghost-like spirit with an aspect of a beautiful young woman has just showed up. She floats around my bed and says, "You are Yoo Hyeongsik, right?" I nod as she continues, "And you are mourning for the death of your long-term girlfriend, Lee Tamhee."

"My wife to be," I correct, trying hard to repress tears and strains in my voice.

"Oh, sorry. Someone told me that you were ready to get married and start a new life together." She pauses as she sees the excruciating pain in my eyes. Then, she clears her throat, recollects herself and explains, "Okay, since you long to see her again and marry her, I'll give you one chance to bring her back to life.

"I can take you to the underworld, but I won't be able to guide you. You'll have to follow your instinct and find Tamhee by yourself. Also, bear in mind that you only have twenty-four hours to retrieve her and bring her back to the human world. If you fail, I'm afraid that you won't be able to see her again and her soul will slowly disappear."

I cringe as I listen to the explanation. Even though I'm thankful for this chance, I don't know if I'll be able to bring Tamhee back to life in just one day. On the other hand, I won't give up yet. I need to try, at least.

In a matter of minutes, I find myself surrounded by darkness. I realize that I'm no longer in my room. This is it. I must be in the land of the dead.

"Welcome to the underworld. May your mission be successful." After pronouncing these words, the spirit disappears and I'm left alone, with no lights and no idea of where to go.

Worse still, I have only twenty-four hours to take my girlfriend back home, starting from now.

This is it.

After twenty hours, and after inspecting almost all of the tunnels in this dark maze, I'm left in front of the narrowest passage in this desolated land. As I figure out how to get in, I realize that I haven't got much time and that I need to move faster before it's too late.

Now or never.

I enter the small tunnel, struggling among the sharp rocks and being unable to stretch myself as I'd hit my head hard on the stone walls. So, I just crawl my way in until I end up falling off, hitting rock bottom.

And, then, I see her in all her beauty and elegance. Poised and graceful as usual, but looking sad. Probably it's because she has been longing for me all this time.

Not believing she's real, I slowly approach her, making little, measured steps forward, until we're really close. I casually lay my hand on hers, realising that I'm touching her body and not just sensing her soul. Unfortunately, this magic moment ends as she retracts her hand and shouts, "Go away!"

Shocked at her words, I make three steps back and ask, "Wh-why? Don't you recognize me, Tamhee?"

"I do, Hyeongsik. Please go away," she insists, much to my chagrin. We're supposed to get married, after all.

"But why? I'm here to bring you back from the dead."

Her answer makes me freeze. "Who told you I'm dead?" Silence. I can't even utter a single word out of shock, so I let her continue. "I'm alive! I came here thinking that I could hide away for a little while. And there you come. I guess I won't be at peace after seeing you, not now."

I beg. "Please, I-"

"Sorry, Hyeongsik, but I don't want to marry you. I accepted at first only because my parents told me to. Fortunately, they listened to my reasons. We're just too different." Her words sting like daggers straight in my heart. I thought she loved me, but she only felt constrained and this is all my fault.

I guess I'll have to let her go, this time for good. She doesn't disappear in the ether, as she's not dead, but she just runs away, with me watching her go in horror.

Seoyeon was right. I need to move on.

Thirty years after this mishap, I'm at peace, even though I won't forget Tamhee easily. She is the first person who made me believe in love, but also the first one who made me realize that my feelings were spiraling out of control.

Fortunately, I regained control of my life, stopped crying my eyes out for her and moved on. For a while, I focused mostly on my job, my health and my hobbies.

Until I met Gong Eunhye, my current wife and mother of our three children. She knows about Tamhee and what I went through for her. But, most importantly, she knows how to help to me to stay in track.

[1012 words]

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro