|5| Monsters Before Dawn |5|

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

By day, the savanna burned. By night, it stormed.

Arya had never before realized just how fiercely the night could rage.

The idea of her bed and warm pelts was almost too tantalizing to bear. She curled in on herself, trying to conserve what warmth she had. For once, she wished she could shift— into the form that could handle the frozen, rainy night.

Every raindrop began to feel like a blow. Usually the sound of the rain helped her to sleep, but now it kept her from it. Even as exhaustion tugged at her mind, the cold snuck into her bones, sucking away every memory of warmth and every hope of rest.

So instead, she watched the storms. Churning, boiling, dark. Unforgiving and merciless. The storms wouldn't stop for anyone. Let alone for her.

Then I'll just take it. Prove to them all that I can take it.

Staring at the storms, she could almost be free of her bonds. Yet it wasn't how she hoped. She was free— and falling. Falling through the dark clouds, lightning clashing around her, time slowing down...

The five shivering lumps of fur around her drew her eye.

I just hope they can.

The littlest one— hardly five, he appeared— stared off towards what had once been his home with round, dark eyes. His fur had become so damp he looked half his normal size.

It's too cold... too cold...

The fallen prince laid his head down in the mud, still watching the great, comfortable tree. Refuge and warmth, so close yet so out of reach.

He mewed. The desperate, crying mew of a lost kitten. He called out, louder and louder, voice quivering.

The sound shattered her heart, a tear falling from her eye and being lost in the rain.

"Hey— it's okay. It'll be okay," she called out to the cub. "It's almost dawn. Just a little bit longer."

The cub shuddered, and turned to look at her with those small, frightened eyes. "I'm cold," he squeaked.

"I know— I know. But in just a few hours it will be warm again. Just a few more hours."

The prince might have nodded, or perhaps he was just shivering, she couldn't tell.

Minutes passed. She couldn't tear her eyes away from the child, specifically his flanks. The seconds passed in waves— relief each time he took a breath, terror in the time between each one.

"Hey— what's your name?" she asked. "I'm Arya."

A small part of her spoke out of curiosity. But the real reason was that she wanted to reassure herself that the cub still breathed.

"Kirin."

The voice was far too weak for her liking.

"Kirin, what a strong name." She stretched out on her stomach in the mud, trying to get as close to him as her ankle chain would let her. "Now Kirin, I want you to think. Think about home. Find a memory that you love— playing with your siblings, your first antelope, anything that makes you happy. Focus on that thought. Forget about the cold and the rain and focus on those warm, happy memories."

He closed his eyes. "I'm trying... but it's so cold... I'm so cold..." He sniffled. "I want to go home. I want my mum. I want my da." The cub shook. "But they're gone. They're both gone... I want them... And they're gone forever..."

Arya wasn't sure how much of the water on her face were tears. She dragged herself through the mud towards him, straining her chains as much as she could. When the length of chain between her ankle and the hook in the ground went taut, she growled in frustration that she couldn't go any further. Just a few feet out of reach. "I know, I know. Don't think about that. Right now, you just need to focus on the dawn. It's so soon. You're such a strong little boy with a strong name. A little cold isn't going to stop you, is it?"

His sides heaved, and he shook his head. "Can you... can you tell me a story?" The question took her by surprise. Kirin's dark eyes looked at her pleadingly. "Please?" Her mind blanked. She didn't know any stories, but she couldn't bring herself to deny him.

Make something up.

"Ahh... Once upon a time. Once upon a time, there was a prince. He was Prince of the glorious Lion Court, and he was given a very special mission. He had to venture into the mountains, the dangerous territory of the Snow Leopards..."

She invented her story as quickly as she told it. A beautiful story of valiant warriors and honorable battles. Always keeping her eye on the cub, and the distant horizon where dawn would arrive.

"And... Does he ever return home? The Prince?"

Arya nodded. "Yes. After years of traveling and adventuring, the Prince returns home, where he wins the challenge for king."

The cub had stopped shivering. She wasn't sure whether to be worried or relieved. The movements of his jaw were slow. "Is that the end of his story?"

A soft crimson glow began to creep out from behind the horizon. "No," she answered. "Only the beginning. The young king uses the wisdom and strength that he gained from his years abroad to lead his Court with justice and kindness. He goes on to become to greatest king in all of our history."

She smiled, the first sun rising. Despite the cold, a warmth flooded through her.

They had survived the night. "Kirin look, it's dawn—

She looked to the cub.

He had buried his face in his paws.

His flanks didn't move.

Arya's heart skipped a beat.

"No—" She dragged herself forward, straining herself, but the chains wouldn't let her. A few feet too far. So close— so close— "Kirin— you made it— it's dawn— look! Kirin!" Her breath caught in her throat. "Kirin! KIRIN! SOMEBODY HELP!"

Something inside of her crumbled. "NO!" she howled out to the storms. She raged, willing her voice to strike fear into the very heart of the storm itself. "NO!!"

She hid her face in her hands. It couldn't be real— it couldn't be real— the small innocent little child— soon enough she was ripping out her own hair. "KIRIN!"

The sound of pawsteps made her halt. A tall, golden figure approached through the waning storm. Everything stopped as she watched him.

Malik. The bulky lion looked down at the small, lifeless form. He snorted, and reached down to pick up the child. The body hung limp in his jaws.

"Monster," Arya growled.

Malik paused. He sets down the child and turns down to Arya. "What did you say, outsider?"

"Monster," she said again, not holding back. She pushed herself to her feet, mud thoroughly caking her form.

The lion braced his fangs, and stalks towards her. "You'll regret saying that."

With a growl, his arm came swinging towards her. Pain seared through her chest as his claws tear through her flesh. Her back slams into the ground, knocking the breath from her lungs and cutting off her scream.

A heavy paw settled right on top of her, pinning her. Harsh hazel eyes glared down at her, his nose inches from her own. "You do not disrespect me."

Wild rage had completely replaced thought at that point. She saw her opportunity, and she took it.

She struck out with her arm.

And dug her fingers right into his eye.

His roar nearly shattered her hearing.

He leapt away from her, and through her panting breaths, her work became visible.

Where his right eye should have been, there was only darkness and blood. Too much blood. The same blood covered her hand, dripped down her arm. She didn't want to look.

Pure hatred shone bright through his one remaining eye. "Amaru will make you pay for this. You will pay! Enjoy your sight. I'll make sure you don't have it by dark.".

With that, Malik turned and sprinted away to the Great Accacia.

Leaving her alone with the rain, the monster she'd made of herself, and Kirin's impossibly small, limp body.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Arya woke to the sensation of something wet and rough rasping across her cheek in quick, swift motions.

"Arya, your cheek is all salty. I thought rain wasn't salty?"

A small, brown, furry face peered down at her with inquisitive eyes.

"Kirin...?" Her voice hurt, dry and raw.

He furrowed his brows. "Kirin? Wasn't that the youngest Prince before Amaru came?"

Slowly, pieces of the night returned to her. "Nandu... Nandu..." Without giving him any warning, she threw her arms around him. "Nandu... I'm so glad you're okay."

The cub wriggled from her grasp, confusion written across his face. "Why wouldn't I be? Arya, have you gone storm crazy? Mum says people that spend the night in the storms go crazy."

Arya shook her head. "No... no Nandu I'm not crazy. I'm just so happy to see you."

Nandu sat down and cocked his head. "I tried to sneak out last night and bring you a blanket. But that's when mum told me about the storm craziness so I couldn't go out. I asked what about you, and she said that if you were going to catch it, you already would have from the night you ran away." He looked her over. "I don't know whether or not you're crazy. But I do think you look terrible."

He wasn't wrong. Mud coated nearly every inch of her. Her chest burned, and it took her a moment to remember why.

The thin fabric of her shirt had been torn in five long streaks. Dirt had mixed with the blood, and she feared to think how infected the wound might be. Though perhaps the injury was the least of her worries.

Enjoy your sight. I'll make sure you don't have it by dark.

Malik's warning echoed in her ears.

That brought something else to mind. She sat up as quickly as her stuff body let her and scanned the area.

Kirin's body was gone.

They must have taken him while I slept.

May he join his father.

A small part of her hated Tauren with a fierce passion. If he hadn't died, if he had been a stronger king, then that poor, innocent child wouldn't have perished.

Yet it was a pointless fear. Tauren was long gone. He had already paid the ultimate price.

Amaru's the real reason. And he isn't dead.

He can still pay for Kirin's death.

Ice flooded her veins.

What happened to me?

"Nandu," she squeaked, her voice hardly a whisper. "Come here."

She reached out for Nandu, and he leapt into her arms. She held him tight, burying her face into his kitten-soft fur.

"Arya, I really didn't mean to offend you when I said you looked terrible. Just... dirty." He pulled back just enough to look her in the eye. "Are you okay?"

She stroked his velvet fur with a free hand.

I didn't know Kirin. Not really. He's not Nandu. So why has his loss made me forget myself? Consider awful things like revenge? Go so far as to hurt someone?

Nandu's thoughtful jade eyes watched her, worried. Arya realized she already had the answer to her question.

Because Kirin all too easily could have been Nandu.

"No," she answered. "I don't think I am."

He licked her forehead with a warm tongue. "That's alright. You don't have to be okay."

Something about his words made her heart burst. She stared into his eyes, so hopeful and young yet so much wiser than he seemed. Perhaps more than he realized.

Just like that, she and him had switched roles. She was the younger sibling. She wanted to collapse in his arms and tell him everything. Admit to him how terrified she was. How horrified she was with herself. How she had crossed a line she might never forgive herself for crossing.

But instead, she pulled him into another hug.

It was all that kept her from breaking down.

Poor Nandu... he's seen too much already. He doesn't need my burdens.

Now I have to face up to what I've done.

Slowly, she pulled away from the embrace, a part herself breaking as she did so. "I love you, Nandu." Without giving him a chance to speak, she set him on the ground and stood. She turned to Bast, standing guard outside the Grand Accacia. "Bast!"

Nandu stretched his paws up her leg. "Arya, what are you doing? Arya?"

The old lion grunted, slowly rose off his rump and ambled towards her. "What do you want?"

She looked the lion in the eye.

"I demand a trial before the Court of Elders."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro