1.5. Awkward Dinners

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Part 1 ; Chapter 5
Awkward Dinners

01x04 Magic Bullet

"Dad ?" Anthony called quietly as he saw the man hurriedly walk past the kitchen, dressed to go out.

Christopher paused, turning his head and noticing his son there. Anthony was wearing dark sweatpants and a white t-shirt with his grey hoodie, his sleepwear.

"Hey," Christopher greeted gently. "What are you doing up ?"

Anthony almost scowled. He knew his dad loved him but he hated it when he did this. He hated how every time Christopher Argent walked in on one of Victoria's episodes (that's what they called them) he walked on eggshells around his son for weeks.

Anthony hated it. He was with the mindset that if you aren't going to stop your wife, don't acknowledge it in a different way either. It makes it worse because acting like his son was a delicate flower meant he knew the truth, he knew Anthony wasn't okay but still did nothing to stop the source of all the boy's biggest issues.

Though, Anthony couldn't fault it all on his father. Christopher actually believed Victoria every time she said it wasn't going on to happen again. And Chris never walked in on one of his wife's episodes again for at least six to nine months because she was careful.

But if they were going to pretend, pretending it was. So instead Anthony smiled a small smile, holding up the glass. "Just got thirty." He nodded to the duffle in his father's hand. "What's with the bag ?"

Christopher went to answer but was cut off as a voice echoed in the foyer. "Ant ? Dad ?" Both men shared a look and approached the front door which stood tall and majestic in front of the landing of the stairs. Allison stood there in her purple pyjamas. Her hair was pulled into a messy bun and her arms were wrapped around herself as she sleepily asked, "What's going on ?"

Chris looked at both his children and explained,
"Your aunt Kate just texted. I'm heading out to pick her out."

"At 2:00 in the morning ?" Anthony furrowed his eyebrows. Christopher sent him a meaningful look that told the young man everything he needed to know.

Allison didn't catch it though. "Is everything okay ?" She asked.

"Yeah, yeah. She's just having a little car trouble," the man assured with a smile.

"Not serious, is it ?"

"No, just a flat tire," Christopher lied. He nodded towards the hall. "Go. Go back to bed, sweetheart."

Allison sighed before smiling and nodding. Anthony and Christopher waited til they heard her door click shut before turning to each other.

"Do you need help ?" Anthony questioned quietly. "I can just pull on some shoes and grab my rapier."

"It's okay, Anthony," Christopher shook his head. He lightly clapped his hand on his son's shoulder and led him to the stairs. "You should sleep. You have school tomorrow."

You never particularly cared about that before, the boy thought, slightly bitterly. But he said nothing, only nodding. He wasn't about to pass up the opportunity to sleep more. The dark circles under his eyes demanded it.

"Just...be careful, dad," he requested quietly.

Christopher smiled at him, patting his shoulder. "Good night, Anthony."

"Good night."

For some reason, Anthony had a strange feeling.

[•]

Anthony had just gotten home from his morning run when he heard loud screaming from the guest room. The boy's eyes widened as he rushed over and went to the source, catching himself on the doorway of the room, demanding, "What's going on ? Who's dead ?"

Allison furrowed her eyebrows as she turned to him. "Why would you assume someone was dead ?"

"I heard screaming," he answered as though it were obvious. And it was to him. Screaming equals danger. Seemed simple enough.

"We're okay," Allison told him. "I was just saying hi to Kate."

Anthony's shoulders slumped as he rolled his eyes. "Freaking girls. Can't you greet each other normally, without people assuming someone is being murdered ?"

"Well, someone's turned into a grumpy Gus."

Kate Argent smirked at her nephew. She looked the same as she always did, tall, lean, dirty blonde. His father's sister.

She then shook her head. "Also, what is this ? You both turn into runway model in a year ?"

Anthony furrowed his eyebrows as he looked down at himself. He was wearing basketball shorts and a long sleeve white t-shirt with black sneakers. "I'm sweaty and unkempt," he remarked, swiping a hand through his already mussed up hair.

"You and your sister are both too modest," Kate rolled her eyes. "Honestly honey, if we weren't related and I was younger, I would definitely try to get with you."

Anthony furrowed his eyebrows. "Thank you ?"

He leaned onto the doorway with his arms crossed over his chest. Allison was on the bed, her legs pulled up to her chest. They shared an amused look.

"Seriously, you're a knockout," Kate insisted before looking at her niece. "You both are. In fact, I hope you," she pointed at Anthony, "have girls lining up. And that you," she turned to Allison, "have the boys knocking each other's teeth out for your attention."

Allison shyly put her head onto her knees. "I kind of have one," she confessed.

"You kind of have one ? Well, you should kind of have a million."

"Oh please no," Anthony begged. "One's already hell to manage."

Allison rolled her eyes as she leaned towards Kate and in a not so hushed whisper, reported, "Ant doesn't like him."

"That's normal," Kate shrugged. "All brothers are like that. Your father was the same with me."

Anthony sent his sister a tight smile to which she scrunched up her nose. That made him chuckle slightly as he shook his head looking away. He was trying to hid his smile. Allison giggled though, aware of her success. She then turned to her aunt. "Need some help unpacking ?"

She went to open a bag but was quickly stopped by Kate who harshly grabbed her wrist, almost snapping, "No, not that one."

Anthony pushed off the doorframe as he stared. "Some grip you've gotten," he commented.

Kate blinked. "Oh." She quickly let go and looking at her hand with a small, apologetic chuckle. "See ? You both turn out beautiful, and I end up with this kung fu death grip. Sorry, sweetie. I didn't mean to be so rough."

Anthony understood the action. But he didn't like that Kate did it. He of course couldn't say anything though, only indiscernibly clenching his jaw.

Allison sent her a small smile though. "No worries," she assured. The girl then remembered something and wondered, "Hey, is everything okay with your car ?"

"Uh, yeah," Kate called from the other room. "I just needed a jumpstart, that's all."

Shit, Anthony thought. He had to stop himself from banging his head onto the doorframe in frustration with his sister present. Couldn't his family have done the smart thing and discussed their lies ? Now, Allison was going to get suspicious.

"A jumpstart ?" The girl repeated, slightly confused as she glanced her brother's way.

"Yeah," Kate replied.

Anthony cleared his throat. "Hey, Allie, we should really start getting ready."

The girl nodded, slipping off the bed. They bid their aunt goodbye and started heading to their rooms. Allison leaned towards her brother, her voice lowered. "Her and dad—"

"Allie," Anthony warned. "Don't go down that road."

"But.....why would they both lie ?"

The boy shrugged. "They probably have a reason."

Allison looked at him, nodding. She seemed unconvinced though. Anthony didn't like this.

[•]

Sophie did not know how the conversation started but she was glad that Anthony wasn't there for it. She really liked spending time with him, but this was a girls-only conversation. But hearing this information made her dread the fact that she was going to be over at the Argent house later that day.

"Scott's coming over ?" Lydia repeated after Allison told them, the three of them walking up the stairs together. "Tonight ?"

"We're just studying together," Allison shrugged.

Lydia scoffed. " 'Just studying' never ends with just studying. It's like getting into a hot tub : somebody eventually cops a feel."

Allison looked confused. "Well, so what are you saying ?"

"I'm just saying, you know, make sure he covers up."
The confusion was still written plain as day on the young girl's face making her friend softly laugh and tease her by saying, "Hello, snow white ! Do it with him with a condom."

"Lydia..." Sophie warned.

Allison seemed to share the sentiment as she looked around, lowering her voice and hissing, "Are you kidding ? After one date ?"

"Don't be a total prude," the strawberry blonde shrugged nonchalantly. "Give him a little taste."

"Well," Allison paused on a step below, shyly looking at her friends, "I— I mean, how much is 'a little taste' ?"

Sophie smiled softly. "You like him a lot, don't you ?"

Allison smiled shyly before explaining. "Well, he's just different." They stopped on the top stair as she firmly said, "When I first moved here, I had a plan : no boyfriends till college. I just move too much. But...then I met him, and..."

"He was different," Sophie completed.

"I-I don't know," the Argent girl stuttered. "Can't explain it."

"I can," Lydia shrugged. "It's your brain flooding with phenylethylamine."

Sophie chuckled slightly. Allison pinched her eyebrows. "What ?"

Lydia only rolled her eyes. "I'll tell you what to do. When's he coming over ?"

"Right after school."

Lydia hummed, skipping ahead as she strategised.

Sophie fondly smiled at her friend before turning to Allison, her voice lowered. "You don't have to, you know ?" She told her. "Don't let Lydia pressure you into something you don't want to."

"But, what if Scott thinks—"

"Scott McCall is easily the most clueless twat to walk this Earth," the British girl cut in. "He probably genuinely thinks you two will be studying."

"So....?"

"So," Sophie took over, "the choice is yours. If you feel ready and want to do this, go for it. But it isn't an obligation."

Allison smiled, hugging her friend's arm with a smile on her face. "Thanks, Sophie."

Sophie chuckled as the other girl leaned her head onto Sophie's shoulder. It was nice to have girl friends.

[•]

"You just happen to have a training room in your basement ?" Sophie chuckled incredulously as she crossed her arms over her chest.

Anthony turned to face her, an eyebrow playfully cocked upward. "You're telling me you don't ?"

"We don't all have your money, Mr. Argent."

"Oh, well that won't do," Anthony shook his head. "A pretty girl such as yourself should be able to train in the best possible circumstances."

Sophie smiled, biting her lower lip as she approached him slowly. Her arms were behind her back as she glanced up at his face with her big grey eyes. "You think I'm pretty ?"

He furrowed his eyebrows with a confident smile, leaning forward ever so slightly. "Of course I think you're pretty. I have functional eyes, you know."

Sophie gaped. "Are you flirting with me to throw me off my game, Anthony Argent ?" she demanded, exaggerating her offense by crossing her arms over her chest.

Anthony smirked. He had the gall to smirk as he leaned down even closer, his breath tickling her ear as he whispered, "Is it working ?"

Sophie tried to ignore the shiver that walked up her spine like feathers and soft fingertips. She turned her head to face him, chin haughtily tilted up. She tried not to show how much their proximity was affecting her as she whispered a firm "No," merely centimetres away from his lips.

Sophie and Anthony's promise to spar together had grown into a bet. 100$ were on the line now. Neither wanted to lose that kind of money. So, they had spent the day either avoiding each other or throwing taunts and flirtations the other's way in hopes of distracting them. The car ride from the school to the Argent house in Sophie's car after their teacher let them out early had definitely been an interesting one where they kept taunting each other.

They had both gotten changed and here they were. Anthony in his basketball shorts and white shirt with his trusty black sport shoes and Sophie in black sport leggings and a royal blue tank top over her black sport's bra with matching sneakers. They were ready to finally spar it out.

Anthony's basement was well equipped. Mats were laid onto the floor in such a manner that it looked like a ring. Sophie couldn't help but notice that.

"Are they always like this ? Or did you set them up specially ?" She wondered.

"They're always like this," he waved off before clapping his hands together and walking backwards into the center of them. "We doing this ?"

Sophie smirked. "Wouldn't miss it for the world."

She followed him onto the mats, the material squeaking slightly under the soles of her sneakers. Both teenagers took their places in front of each other in a defensive position.

Anthony held his palms out towards Sophie. "Ladies first," he smirked.

Sophie smiled sardonically. "What a gentleman."

"You know me," Anthony shrugged as they circled each other. "I am—"

He was cut off by Sophie throwing a jab his way. And they were off. Throwing punches and kicks. Sophie actually found herself laughing a few times as they sparred, happy and exhilarated to have found a sparring partner who was actually good.

Normally, she used to spar with her mother or Derek. But Lilith had less time with her job and Derek......well, he wasn't there much. That usually left her alone with a punching at the gym not too far from her house.

But here, she found Anthony Argent. Anthony Argent who could put money where his mouth was because he was good. He saw her moves, anticipating them, blocking them. He counterattacked, he defended, he threw punches and jabs her way, some so well executed that Sophie almost lost.

He was a worthy opponent.

It felt nice. She finally seemed to have a friend who got her.

Lydia was great but.....she was Lydia. She cared more about clothes and makeup (not that there was anything wrong with that) than she did about martial arts or Sophie's obsession with ghost stories. Allison was sweet and kind, but she was far too caught up in the claws of young love for her and Sophie to properly bond at the moment. They did get along though. And Sophie was sure that the Argent girl truly would become one of her best friends. But that wasn't going to happen overnight.
Jackson was selectively nice. She liked him well enough but those moments of goodness weren't enough to stop her from wanting to shove her fist in his face sometimes. Not to mention, he cared little about things that had nothing to do with him.
And Stiles.....Stiles was probably the person who understood her best but their bond was different. They got along wonderfully yet always bickered. They were ready to die for each other but would also gladly kill the other person. But they always seemed to have moments of kindness and understanding. They didn't have to say much, they were just there for each other.

But none of these people seemed to get her quite like Anthony did. He understood her on a level that surpassed knowing facts about her or knowing how she ticked. A smile from him made her feel lighter. And touch on the shoulder made her relax.

Anthony got her. He just did.

Just like while they sparred. It felt less like a sparring match and more like a dance. Something choreographed where they knew each and every one of their opposition's moves.

Well almost.

Sophie yelped slightly as Anthony faked a jab at her face and gracefully twisted so that he was behind her and pinned her arms to her sides, restraining her with his chest rising and falling against her back.

"Gotcha," he panted into her ear.

Sophie panted too, leaning back against him. She could feel sweat trickling down the side of her face as she turned her head up against his shoulder to look at him.

"You sure ?"

She reached her leg behind and kicked him off balance, both of them tumbling to the mat-covered ground. But unlike Anthony, Sophie had been expecting it. She easily shifted, straddling the young man and pinning his arms above his head with one hand and placing her forearm on his throat with the other.

Anthony stared up at her, awed and amazed. "You win," he chuckled.

Sophie beamed letting go of him but not moving to get up. Anthony sat up, his arms falling around her waist as they smiled at each other.

"This was fun," Sophie noted, her fingers moving his hair that was matted to his forehead.

"It was," the young man agreed. "Want to do it again some time ?"

"Definitely." Sophie smiled at him. He smiled back. Her face then melted though, noticing something on the side of his head. "Holy shit. You're bleeding."

"What ?" Anthony's eyes widened slightly as his hand went to touch the exact spot. As though he knew where.

"Did I do that ?"

"No," he denied quickly. Almost too quickly. Anthony cleared his throat before looking Sophie directly in the eyes, his voice calm and assured. "No. I got this last week. Something fell under the table, I miscalculated the distance and hit my head hard against the edge. I thought it was going better today but....evidently not."

"Do— do you have a first aid kit ?"

Anthony nodded, tapping at her thigh. Sophie immediately understood that it was her sign to get up. Somehow, there had been nothing awkward about their earlier position. Both teenagers had just felt comfortable.

She quickly rose to her sneaker clad feet though, holding a hand out to him. Anthony let her pull him up as he informed her that "It's in the kitchen."

"Come on then."

Sophie grabbed her black zip-up hoodie and phone from where she had put them on the sidelines and let Anthony lead her upstairs and into the kitchen. She waited for him to get the kit by the kitchen island. It didn't take long though and as soon as it was in his hands, the girl snatched it and started rifling through for disinfectant, cotton and bandaids.

Anthony let her, only hoisting her up onto the counter and stepping between her legs. He knew her well enough by then to know that there was no way Sophie was letting him do it himself. While it might have been from a previous injury, she still felt like she had to help her friend in any way she could.

She was in the process of putting the small bandaid over the small cut on the side of his forehead, along his hairline after having disinfected it when a voice called, "Hello ?"

Sophie glanced over Anthony's shoulder and smiled politely. "Hi Mr. Argent."

Christopher Argent was in the doorway, slowly approaching the pair with a bag of groceries in his arms. His eyebrows were furrowed. "Might I ask what exactly you're both doing here ?"

"I'm just bandaging your son up."

"What ?" The man immediately put the bag on the counter and approached.

Anthony turned around, waving his father off and trying to reassure him. "I'm fine, dad. Just the injury from last week bleeding again. It's nothing too bad."

Christopher seemed both relieved and distraught. He was about to say something but a phone ring cut him off. Sophie furrowed her eyebrows and pushed her hand into the pocket of her hoodie, fishing her phone out.

"Hello ?"

"Hey my love."

"Hi Mum. Everything okay ?"

"Yes, yes." There was a slight pause. "You said you were at your friend Anthony's, right ?"

"Yes...?"

"Anthony Argent ?"

Sophie pinched her eyebrows suspiciously. "I only know one Anthony, Mum."

The boy looked confused upon hearing his name. Sophie only shook her head with a shrug to tell him she knew just as much as him : nothing.

"Is his father there by any chance ?" Lilith asked. She was doing that thing with her voice where she was trying to sound casual but actually wasn't.

Sophie glanced up at Christopher, confused as she slowly revealed. "Yeah. He's right here. One sec." She pulled the phone from her ear and told the man. "She wants to talk to you."

Christopher blinked. "To me ?"

Sophie nodded, pressing the speaker icon and holding the device out. "Okay, Mum. You're on speaker with me, Anthony and Mr. Argent."

"Chris ?"

"Lily ?" Mr. Argent spoke into the phone.

Sophie and Anthony both raised their eyebrows as they looked at each other, mouthing the name their respective parent uttered. Their parents were addressing each other by nicknames ? What ?

"I need to ask a favour."

"Anything," Christopher immediately told her. He then added. "Within reason of course."

"Is there any chance you can keep my daughter for dinner ?" Lilith requested.

Christopher blinked before replying. "Yes, of course." He paused. "Is everything okay, Lily ?"

"Yeah," Lilith assured. "Don't worry about it. Just making sure. Sophie, honey ?"

"Yeah, Mama ?" Sophie said, leaned forward slightly, closer to her hand.

"Be good okay ? I'm really sorry to do this but something came up."

"Are you alright ?" Sophie worried.

Lilith chuckled. "I'm fine, sweetheart. I'll tell you everything later."

"Okay. Bye, Mum."

"Bye, honey. And thank Christopher for me please."

And with that hung up. Sophie blinked at the device in her hand for a moment before inquiring, "What the hell just happened ?"

"Yeah," Anthony agreed as he turned around and leaned against the island next to Sophie. His midriff was pressed against Sophie's thigh as he crossed his arms over his chest and looked at his father. "What the hell just happened, Chris ?"

Christopher looked away from them. "How about you kids come and help unload the car with my sister ?" He changed the subject. "I'm going to get something from the garage."

He left then. Sophie and Anthony shared a look. Something was was up. And they were going to find out what.

[•]

The 'something' Christopher Argent got from his garage was his daughter and her boyfriend. Turns out, they had snuck down there and were making out next to the guns. Anthony found that extremely strange but refrained from saying much. This meant that Christopher had the pair of them doing the brunt of the work while Sophie and Anthony basically only carried one bag.

He and Sophie stood by the front door, sipping at water from refrigerated bottles. Christopher stood next to them and accepted a last bag from Scott's hands.

"Thank you."

Anthony held out a hand. "I'll put it in the kitchen."

Christopher seemed hesitant but at the look his son shot him, he conceded. Anthony loved that his father cared, he genuinely did, but there were times where it was excessive. There was no middle ground with Christopher Argent. It was all or nothing.

They were floating in an all stage at the moment. They had been since—

"So do you still wanna study ?" Anthony blinked upon hearing Scott's voice. He didn't even realise that he had already completed his task and come to stand besides Sophie again as he was lost in his thoughts.

Scott seemed sheepish and shy as he looked at Allison. Allison went to answer but was cut off by her father. "I think she'll concentrate better on her own."

Scott nodded. "Guess I'll see you later then ?"

"At school," Christopher interjected.

Scott nodded again, stepping back slightly. "Right."

Sophie leaned closer, whispering, "This is painful to watch but I can't look away."

Anthony chuckled, nodding as he dropped his arm over her shoulders. He brought the bottle in his other hand to his mouth and took a swig of water. Sophie let herself sink into his side, her arms hugging herself. Her bottle was pressed against her bicep.

"Scott," Allison called, going to approach him.

Christopher Argent had other ideas though. He stopped her from advancing, "Eh, eh, you," he pointed to Scott, "on your bike, you," he looked at his daughter, "inside."

"Oh, come on, Chris," Kate Argent drawled out as she approached the group after closing the boot of the car. "Really ? They were making out in the garage, not shooting amateur porn."

Anthony cringed. "Please stop talking," he begged.

Kate rolled her eyes at him before turning to her brother. "And you are being a huge hypocrite."

"Am I ?" The man raised his eyebrows.

"You are," the woman nodded. "You are acting like your daughter needs to be locked away in an ivory tower for kissing a boy but are completely fine with this ?" She gestured in Sophie and Anthony's general direction.

Christopher glanced over before turning to his sister with mild confusion. "With my son casually having his arm around his friend's shoulders ?"

"Friend ? You two are just friends ?" Kate demanded dubiously. Anthony and Sophie nodded. The dirty blonde woman furrowed her eyebrows at her nephew. "Oh. I just thought you were together because you only ever sparred with—"

"I never had anyone else to spar with," Anthony cut in firmly, not wanting to hear the end of that sentence. "Besides," he shrugged. "We had a bet."

"We did," Sophie smirked in satisfaction as she looked up.

He scoffed at her fondly, rolling his eyes as he nudged her. "Shut up."

Sophie scrunched her nose up at him. He shook his head, trying to fight his smile. It was hard though. He liked smiling at her.

Kate seemed to be contemplating something. And that something turned into a forced invitation when she brusquely turned to Scott, drawing everyone's attention. "You, with the adorable brown eyes, drop your bike," she ordered. "You're staying for dinner."

And marched away. Allison blinked, glancing at her twin for help. Anthony only shook his head with a helpless shrug. Dinner with Sophie who was just a friend was going to be awkward enough given the family he was a part of. But dinner with Sophie and Scott ? Oh, this was going to be a long and awkward dinner.

And an even longer night.

[•]

"Would you like something to drink besides water, Scott ?"

The boy quickly looked up at Victoria Argent, shaking his head and stuttering out, "Oh - No, I'm good. Thanks."

"What about you, Sophie ?"

Sophie glanced up from her plate, politely shaking her head. "No, thank you."

Anthony poked his tongue into his cheek as he watched the entire interaction. In the time it had taken for both him and Sophie to shower and change, dinner had been prepared. And until his mother's questions, it had been an awkward event of clattering cutlery.

He didn't think he could have gotten worse as his leg started bopping up and down anxiously under the table. Allison wasn't much better, sitting in front of him, next to Scott.

They both thought wrong.

"We can get you some beer ?" Christopher offered.

Scott slightly choked on his food while Sophie only paused mid-chew, turning to look at the man. She seemed more amused than anything about the situation.

"N- no, thanks," Scott stuttered out.

Sophie only raised her eyebrows and shook her head. "Kind offer, but no thank you."

Christopher nodded, going back to his food. A beat passed. "Shot of Tequila ?" He suddenly asked.

That resulted in Allison turning to the man in annoyance, "Dad. Really ?"

Christopher bowed his head in surrender. "You two don't drink ?" He inquired.

Sophie shrugged, "Sometimes," at the same time as Scott retorted, "I'm not old enough to."

Everyone turned to the young woman who was nonchalantly stabbing at the peas in her plate.
Victoria observed her closely, much to Anthony's dismay. He didn't like his mother's attention on Sophie.

"Well, Scott, your reasoning doesn't seem to stop many teenagers."

"No, but it should," Scott explained.

Sophie looked up at him with raised eyebrows. She said nothing though. Kate however, chuckled gently, "Good answer. Total lie," she added, "but well played, Scott. You may yet survive the night. And Sophie, gotta to appreciate your honesty. Not many people would admit that."

"What good would lying do for me ?" Sophie wondered with a shrug. "I'm not ashamed of myself or the fact that I'll sometimes have a glass of wine with my mum if she's ever had a hard day at work and wants to take the edge off."

"And what does your mother do ?" Victoria questioned.

"She's a prosecutor."

Silence followed. Well, silence broken by the sound of forks and knives on porcelain plates. Anthony was still feeling extremely awkward and nervous. He didn't even know why. He didn't like Scott so if this crashed and burned, it would probably do him a favour. Kate was obviously on Allison's side (like always) and would therefore try to keep the conversation light and stop Christopher when he started going too far.

Like when the man asked, "You ever smoke pot ?"

And as he expected, Aunt Kate flew to the rescue, turning to her brother with a look. "Okay, changing the channel to something a little less conservative. So, Scott," she turned to the teenager, "Allison tells us you're on the lacrosse team. I'm sorry. I don't know anything about that. How do you play ?"

Scott chewed his food before replying, "Um, well, you know hockey ? It's a lot like that, only, um, played on grass instead of ice."

"Hockey on grass," Christopher said thoughtfully. "Is called field hockey."

Scott gulped slightly. "Oh. Yeah."

"So it's like field hockey, except the sticks have nets," Allison summed up, her voice impatient and barely hiding her nervous annoyance.

Scott nodded. "Exactly."

"And can you slap check like in hockey ?" Kate wondered.

"Um - Yeah. But it's only the, uh, the gloves and the sticks."

"Sounds violent," the woman noted before smiling. "I like it. How come you didn't try out ?" She asked her nephew.

"Because I didn't want to," Anthony lifted his shoulders. And that was the end of it.

Allison then beamed, seeing an opportunity. "Scott's amazing though," she mentioned. "Dad, Anthony and Sophie came with me to the first game. Wasn't he good ?"

Sophie looked up at the mention of her name. She shared a look with Anthony, lifting her shoulders. But before she could say anything, Christopher let out a bland, "He was fine."

Allison didn't let that deter her as she continued, "He scored the last shot, the winning shot."

"True," her father allowed before adding, "but he didn't score at all until the last few minutes."

"Mmm," Anthony shook his head, raising a his index to indicate everyone let him finish his bite before he stated. "That wasn't his fault. That was because the team captain is a jealous piece of crap who forbade all their teammates from passing McCall the ball. No offence," he looked at Sophie.

Sophie shook her head. "Why would I be offended ? Jackson is an arsehole with an A."

Allison shot them a grateful look. Anthony sent her a brotherly wink. I got you. That was the message he wanted to give her, no. And always.

Even he had to admit their father was being a dick. And Anthony hated Scott's guts most of the time. Something Christopher wasted no time reminding him off, "I thought you didn't like Scott."

"I don't," he nodded. "But I hate Jackson more."

"Is there anyone you don't hate ?" Kate wondered with furrowed eyebrows.

"Sophie." The girl blinked up at Anthony when he said her name. He cleared his throat, looking away. "But we weren't talking about me. We were discussing Scott's lacrosse skills."

Allison was happy to take the attention off her brother. Anthony exhaled quietly, his leg still shaking up and down under the table though more vigorously than before. Attention, he hated it. That was why he always made himself as small as he could. Why he generally only spoke when spoken to at the table.

But here, it was for his sister.

He gulped slightly, sipping at his water when a gentle hand came and sat on his thigh. Anthony glanced over to find Sophie gently applying pressure as to steady his leg. "Breathe," she whispered quietly.

Anthony nodded indiscernibly, following her breaths. He inhaled with her and exhaled with her. "You're okay," she assured as quietly as she could without attracting his family's attention.

Anthony nodded again. He could feel himself calming down, his breaths regulating. He smiled a small, sad and sheepish smile at her. "Thanks, Soph."

"I'm here for you," she reminded, their fingers tangling together on his thigh. Her grey eyes looked straight into his dark brown ones. They looked grey for a change, steely and stormy. But there was something comforting about the storm of her eyes.

Thank you, he mouthed.

Both teenagers looked away from each other sharply upon hearing the loud sound of cutlery banging onto the table. They saw Allison slump back into her seat after loudly setting down her fork and knife.

Anthony blinked, guilt rushing into him. He had missed the last part of the conversation, too caught up in his own anxiety. His sister needed him but he hadn't done anything.

Stop.

Anthony closed his eyes, trying his best not to scrunch up his face or say anything. The voice had been absent the past week, ever since the night of.....the incident. And it decided to show up now ?

Don't do this to yourself. It's not your fault. You're human, Anthony.

You can't always be perfect.

"You know, on second thought," Scott spoke up, drawing everyone's eyes and curiosity. "I think I'll take that shot of Tequila."

Silence hung around them. Then Sophie laughed gently. Sophie's laugh made Anthony laugh too, much to his dismay. His family all followed shortly after until they were all giggling away around the table. Scott had managed to ease the tension, that much was for sure.

"You were kidding, right ?" Christopher checked, between his laughter.

Scott nodded, frantically assuring that, "Yeah."

That was probably the first time Anthony ever felt grateful to Scott McCall.

[•]

Sophie wasn't sure what Scott was doing at the Argent residence but she could tell it was more than just having dinner. He was much too awkward and jittery for it to just be dinner with Allison's family. Something else was going on.

She also might have kind of eavesdropped into the phone call he was having in the hall with Derek and Stiles. She didn't catch much with the Argent adults turning their attention to her with Scott gone, only that Scott had to hurry and get whatever they needed.

Eventually, Kate left to help him find the bathroom. Sophie strongly suspected that wasn't where he was planning on going but fate's a bitch.

"So, Sophie," Mrs. Argent smiled at her. It wasn't a nice smile in the teenager's opinion. "Do you have any plans for after high school ? Dreams ? Aspirations ?"

Sophie laid her chin in her hands as she started, "Well, Mum thinks I would make a good shrink. But....I'm not sure."

"I can see that."

Sophie smiled at Allison. "Yeah ?"

"Yeah," her friend nodded. "You've got a really calming and nice presence. And you give awesome advice." Both girls chuckled slightly. Sophie definitely knew how to give advice.

Sophie felt an arm on the back of her chair as she leaned back. The girl blinked, looking next to her. Anthony wasn't looking at her but his arm was casually draped onto the back of her chair like it was the most natural thing in the world. In a way, it was. It felt natural.

But more than anything, it seemed to bring him comfort. It definitely hadn't escaped Sophie's notice that Anthony had been a bit of a nervous wreck. He hid it. But she noticed with the way his leg wouldn't stop bopping up and down next to hers under the table. She also noticed how he completely seemed to change in the presence of family. He clammed up and tried to hide even more than when it was just him or him and his sister. This Anthony wasn't the same one she sparred with, the confident and flirty young man who could have gotten any girl (or boy) he wanted falling to his feet if he so wanted. This one was anxious and small and scared. She didn't know why he was scared or what he was scared off, but it was palpable for her.

She hated it.

"Hey, um, I should get going," Scott's voice called their attention as he reentered the dining room. "Um, thanks for dinner."

"Oh, no, no, no, no, no," Kate refused. "You have to stay for dessert. I wanna know more about you. Sit down."

Scott looked lost and trapped. He glanced at Sophie who discreetly shrugged. She wasn't sure what he expected her to say or do. "Okay," he nodded with a small voice, sliding back into his chair.

Victoria smiled at him. "Allison was just telling us that you work for a veterinarian."

Allison had told them that. Sophie exhaled through her nose, happy she was no longer being the one interrogated. She had nothing against small talk and trying to get to know someone, but with the Argent family, it felt deeper. Like they were searching for proof of something in your words. Like a test.

"I told them how you put the cast on the dog I hit," Allison told him shyly.

Scott smiled fondly. "Yeah."

Christopher carefully watched him. "What does your boss think of the animal attacks ?" He questioned. "Any theories ?"

Smooth, Sophie nodded lightly to herself. She was impressed by that segue. Especially since she saw the look the three adults exchanged. They were hoping he had information on the Alpha and the two betas. Sophie almost laughed, thinking about how one of the wolves they were hunting was the person they were asking about it.

Scott looked uncomfortable though as he deflected by saying, "Everyone was just saying it's a mountain lion."

"It'd have to be a pretty large mountain lion," Kate took a sip of wine.

Victoria smiled at him this time. "What do you think, Scott ?"

Scott shrugged with a sheepish smile. "I don't know. We usually get cats and dogs at the vet. Nothing that vicious."

"Never had to deal with a rabid dog ?" Mr. Argent questioned, drawing everyone's eyes his way. Sophie wasn't sure if she imagined it, but she could have sworn that Anthony tensed up next to her. Upon seeing Scott and Sophie's face, the man explained, "Oh. I grew up with a lot of dogs. I saw one get rabies from a bat. It was transferred through the bite. You know, people think that a rabid dog just suddenly goes mad. It's a lot more gradual.

"First stage is subtle changes in behavior ; they're restless, morose. It's the second stage that people know : the furious phase. That's when they attack. And we're talking any moving object.

"Did you know that a caged rabid dog will break its own teeth, trying to chew through the bars ? It'll even rear back and snap its own spine. Can you imagine the amount of force it would take to do that ?

"It's a complete character reversal. This harmless animal...turned into a perfectly vicious killer. And it all started with that one bite."

Sophie raised her eyebrows. Subtle.

He seemed to only be getting one word long reactions from her and none could be spoke out loud.

Allison looked annoyed more than anything. She was the only person at the table unaware of the rather serious subtext hidden under her father's words. "But it died, didn't it ?"

"Yes, because your grandfather shot it," Victoria explained.

Sophie repressed the urge to roll her eyes. She was pretty sure that dog wasn't the only thing Grandpa Argent must have shot. Anthony had mentioned that his grandfather had been in on the decision of him joining the family business (that Sophie wasn't supposed to know about ) at age seven. That didn't exactly inspire nice feelings and opinions about the man.

Allison still wasn't getting it though (which was probably for the better). "Because he wanted to put it out of its misery," she reasoned with her mother, as though the slaughter of the dog must have had a justifiable reason.

And it did. Christopher Argent explained it as much, his voice firm and powerful, leaving no room for arguments. "Because it was too dangerous," he stated strongly. "Something that out of control is better off dead."

A chair loudly scraped the floor. Everyone snapped their heads to the person next to Sophie. Anthony looked at the floor, stood up with his fists clenched. "Please excuse me." He didn't even wait to be excused before stalking out of the room. That story seemed to have gotten to him. A lot.

[•]

"I am so sorry," Anthony mumbled to Sophie later as he passed her her coat. He still held her backpack as she put the garment on.

"About what ?"

"Running off like that."

Sophie lifted her shoulders with a kind smile. "It's okay."

Anthony nodded, rocking on his heels slightly. "You aren't going to ask me why ?"

"Would you tell me ?" She countered.

He chuckled slightly, tilting his head. "Probably not," he admitted.

"There's your answer." Sophie put a hand on his arm, squeezing comfortingly as she took as step closer. "Though, if one day you decide you want to..... I'm here."

Anthony smiled. But it was a lovely, beautiful smile. A real smile. Those seemed pretty rare for him. Already the small smiles and smirks he let the world see seemed to be an effort. This smile....it cut Sophie's breath short. It was shy and grateful and very boyish.

"Thank you," he breathed.

"Yeah."

"By the way," Anthony inhaled, taking a step back. That blinked Sophie out of her daze too, stepping back when she realised how close they were standing. The boy pulled out a wallet and took out a 100$ bill. "You won."

Sophie happily grabbed the money with a proud smile. "Why thank you, kind sir."

He chuckled slightly, rolling his eyes at her theatrics. His hands were in his pockets as they walked to the door where Allison and Scott had just pulled away from their kiss.

"Don't you dare go in for another one," Anthony warned.

The couple jumped slightly but stepped away from each other. Sophie smiled at Allison and went for a hug. The older brunette happily accommodated it, squeezing her friend.

"I'm so sorry," she apologised. "That had to be the worst, most horribly awkward dinner ever in the history of horribly awkward dinners."

"It's alright," Sophie assured. "You're fine. Believe it or not, I've actually been to worse."

"How ?" Anthony questioned with a disbelieving chuckle.

"Well," Sophie pulled away, pushing a lock of hair behind her ear. "There was the one time I was fourteen, a business associate of my mother's came home for dinner and spent the entire meal hitting on her."

"No !" The twins widened their eyes in disbelief.

Scott also looked weirded out. "Seriously ?"

"Mhmm," Sophie nodded. "The names she called him after were splendid."

The small group let out gentle laughs. That seemed to draw Christopher Argent's attention. He glanced over from the open kitchen door. "I'm just going to go say bye to your father," Sophie mentioned.

The twins nodded, staying with Scott. Sophie peeked into the kitchen where Mr. Argent stood, drinking a glass of water. "Hey, Mr. Argent."

Christopher looked over and smiled kindly. "Sophie. Everything alright ?"

"Yeah, don't—don't worry," Sophie chuckled slightly awkwardly as her fingers played with the strap of her backpack that was perched onto her shoulder. "I just wanted to say thank you. For dinner."

"Of course," he smiled.

Sophie nodded, smiling awkwardly. She went to turn away but paused, pursing her lips. "Sir ?"

Christopher looked at her again, his eyebrows raised in question. Sophie licked her lips, unsure if she should ask. She decided to risk it.

"How do you know my mother ?" She wondered quietly.

Christopher blinked and then chuckled. "It's rather long story."

He looked her straight into the eyes, almost like he was looking into her soul. Sophie sighed to herself quietly.

"You know ?" She resigned herself.

"I do," the man nodded.

Sophie nodded, her tongue poking into her cheek. She nodded her head towards the door, arms crossed over her chest. "Does he ?"

"No."

"Will you tell him ?"

Christopher exhaled slightly, circling the kitchen island until he was in front of the girl. His hands were kind and gentle as they sat onto her shoulders. "We have nothing against Guardians, Sophia," he whispered. "I won't tell him. But you should."

"I'm scared," she admitted with a half shrug.

Christopher smiled a fatherly smile. "That's okay. But know this : my son cares about you. A lot."

"My bag." The two turned when they heard Kate's voice near the door. She stood in front of Scott and Allison, staring at the former. Anthony stood on the side, his arms crossed as he furrowed his eyebrows. "What'd you take from it ?" Scott blinked in bafflement which made her sigh deeply. "Do you need me to repeat the question, maybe enunciate more clearly ?"

Christopher gently lead Sophie over, the confusion shining through in his words. "What are you talking about ?"

"My bag was open in the guest room, and when I left it was shut," his sister explained. "And Scott comes in to use the bathroom, he leaves, my bag's open."

Allison shook her head, trying to defend her boyfriend. "He didn't take—"

Kate cut her off by stating, "Something was taken from my bag." She sighed, almost disappointed. "Now, look, I hate to be the accuser here, Scott, because I really do love those adorable brown eyes, but I don't know if you're a klepto, if you're curious, or—or if you're just stupid. But answer the question. What did you take ?"

"Nothing," Scott denied. "I swear."

Kate nodded, though clearly unconvinced. "You don't mind proving it, do you ?" She wondered.

Allison widened her eyes. "Are you serious ?"

"How about you show us what's in your pockets ?" Kate requested.

"Dad ?" Anthony sighed, speaking up for the first time. If even he was speaking up, things were going too far.

But Christopher couldn't do much. Kate was his sister. He would obviously take her word over his daughter's new boyfriend's. He gestured that his children let it go, shaking his head.

"Come on, Scott," Kate taunted. "Prove me wrong."

Allison didn't like that though. She cut in, declaring, "Uh, I'll prove you wrong. Uh, it wasn't Scott going through your bags. It was me."

"You ?" Kate repeated, dubious.

"Mm - hmm," the teenager nodded, "me."

She reached into her pocket and pulled out a small item, covered in foil. Everyone recognised it however, faces morphing to shock and disbelief at the sight of a condom. Anthony looked ready to go dig a hole and stay in it. Christopher seemed to be contemplating whether or not to be angry or embarrassed. Kate actually was embarrassed, but probably more because of the false accusations she was throwing at Scott. Scott just stared in surprise, completely unaware while his girlfriend was proud and unashamed. And Sophie ? Sophie gaped trying not to laugh. The evening might have been awkward and tense, but it ended beautifully in her opinion.

[•]

"I'm home !" Sophie called as soon as she pushed the front door to her house open, extracting the key from the lock. She knew her mother was home because the lights were on.

The girl dropped her backpack onto the bench that sat near the entrance, right by the coat tree. She held the wall with one hand, the other untying the laces of her white sneakers. She heard shuffling about in the living room, making her furrow her brows in slight confusion. Why was there shuffling about ? What was her mother doing ?

"Hi, honey," Lilith greeted as she arrived, holding her arms open for a hug.

Sophie happily accepted the embrace, though very confused. "Why do you sound like that ?"

"Like what ?" Her mother's voice pitched up.

"Like a teenager doing something she shouldn't."

"I do not !" Lilith gaped, indignant as she pulled back.

"You do," Sophie countered before scrunching up her face upon seeing her mother's attire. "And why do you look so nice ?"

The plum coloured dress hugged Lilith Ward's curves and accentuated her assets. She looked even more like the bombshell she already was. That with the makeup—

"Hey Sophie."

Sophie glanced to the entry of the living room. "Noah ?" She questioned upon seeing the Sheriff sheepishly exit. "What are you doing here ?"

"Oh, just came by wondering if Stiles was here," he stated. "He didn't come home by the time I did and I worried."

Sophie raised her eyebrows. "You always go looking for your son dressed like that ?"

She noticed the Sheriff's suit and tie and combed hair. She wasn't an idiot as the teasing smirk slowly climbing her face told the adults. They both shyly looked away like teenagers around a parent.

"Well, he isn't here," Noah cleared his throat. "Maybe he's home now so, I should—"

"Yeah," Lilith nodded. "Yeah, no, of course."

She lead him towards the door, opening it and leading the man out. Sophie didn't listen but she did wait, leaning onto the wall next to the coat tree with her arms crossed over her chest and an amused smirk. Soon enough, her mother was back inside, closing the front door and leaning her back against it. She had a slightly goofy smile on her face, staring ahead and slightly biting her lip. She was oblivious to the world, in her open happy bubble.

Sophie cleared her throat. Lilith jumped, her head snapping to look at her daughter. She resembled a deer caught in headlights. Sophie only raised her eyebrows.

"Something you need to tell me, Mum ?"

[•]

Anthony sat next to his father on a couch in their living room later that evening. Both Christopher and Kate had insisted he be there. He hadn't really been able to refuse, no matter how much he wanted to.

"The one that attacked me was big. It had width and power," Kate explained, stood next to the fireplace. She was finally being able to retell the events of the previous evening when she had been attacked on route. "But the one I shot was lean and fast."

"Well, that would be Derek Hale," Christopher let out.

Anthony blinked, unaware that they knew the identity of one of the betas. "Really ?" He wondered.

Kate seemed to agree with the sentiment. "Are we sure ?"

"Mostly," Christopher tilted his head.

"Well, how do we know it's just two of 'em ?"

"We don't yet," Christopher answered his sister. "But if Derek's still alive, he will lead us to the Alpha."

Kate smirked. "Take the pack leader, and take the pack."

Anthony didn't like that way she said that. He was already having reservations about this lifestyle, the last thing he needed was for his aunt to make it worse. That's why he found himself asking, "According to the code, right ?"

"Yes," Christopher confirmed, a pointed look aimed his sister's way.

Kate scoffed. "You and the code."

"It's there for a reason, Kate," the man reminded firmly, leaving no room for discussion.

"Of course," Kate Argent rolled her eyes, lighting the long and fine match she had been playing with. "I always play by the rules."

She tossed the flaming match into the fireplace. The logs roared with flames upon contact. Anthony couldn't help the uneasy feeling in his stomach as he watched the fire do its seductive and dangerous dance.

Damn.
That took awhile. Probably because I wasn't too sure where I was going with this chapter. There were certain scenes I cut out and certain trains of thought that I didn't go through with.
Like Sophie helping Scott find the bullet at the Argent House. But eventually, I decided that Derek would rather annoy and threaten Scott and Stiles than tell Sophie (who would then tell Lilith) that he was dying and have them worry.
Also, this is Sophie and Anthony's story, not Scott's. His story comes and intercuts theirs but he is in no way the main character here.
I don't like him much in season one, if you couldn't already tell. All in all, I'm not too disappointed about this chapter.

I hope you guys all like it ! I'll see you guys for the next one ! Bye my lovelies !!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro