Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Days later

French Quarter

Caroline took the dress out and went up to the mirror.

"Knock, knock" Enzo said standing at the door of Caroline's bedroom."What were you saying about fairy tales not existing?"

Caroline rolled her eyes, shooting a look at her bestie. "You won't stop, will you?"

"You deserve this - a fairy tale. Remember, the first case we worked on together -  when you told me you were a good vampire."

Flashback

"Oh, God, I remember. So?"

"When this case is over and he is the one - maybe you should quit and just do the happy. Away from the death and darkness." Enzo said.

"Quit my job because of a guy? Seriously?"

"I remember also, you once telling me that you'd love to teach criminology."

"Yeah - well - maybe - one day. Now, I need to get ready - so - later." Caroline said.

"Ok - later." Enzo closed the door, leaving Caroline pondering about the idea to leave her job.

No matter how much she loved her job, solving crimes, it was a lonely place.

Mikaelson family house,
Algiers

Elena was ushered by the housekeeper to the Salon. "Mr Mikaelson will be with you in a minute. Can I get you anything?"

"No, I'm good. Thanks." Elena replied.

"Hello. I'm Rebekah." the blonde Original walked in, sizing up the doppelganger. "I think a blue gown or maybe a red dress would fit you nicely.."

"Yeah - uhm - ok."

"Elijah is in the Council. He's running late, which is unusal for him. It doesn't matter. I will take care of you. Come on. " Rebekah waved at Elena to follow her.

"I could have worn any dress."

"You can't wear just any dress. It's black tie - meaning floor-long dress or gown. And s8nce ypu are my brother's guest - you have to look exceptionally exquisite." Rebekah said pulling three gown out of her wardrobe.

"Right." 

"My brother always faIls for arty-grungy rock types. Hayley was all grunge, but without the rock'n'roll sophistication, if you know what I mean. I really don't know what he saw in her. She was always so self-centered. Whoever killed her did him a favour."

Elena looked at Rebekah wide-eyed, not expectimg
this kind of comment about Elijah's late fiance.

"What? You're shocked that I am happy that she is gone. You obviously don't know the latest. She cheated - with Damon Salvatore."

"Oh? Really?"

"Yes, really." Rebekah passed on the blue gown to Elena. "Try this one first."

"I like the red dress." Elena said.

"Ok. Whichever" Rebekah  handed her the other dress.

"May I come in?" Elijah said as he knocked at the door.

"Yes, you may." Rebekah replied. "Your Cinderella is nearly ready."

"Rebekah, please! Elena is my guest."

"She is so much more. You've fallen for her. And it's ok." Rebekah used her ability to communicate  telepathically.

"I am going to get dressed myself." Rebekah gave her brother a kiss on the cheek. "I will send the hairdresser up."

"Hey" Elena got out from the screen.

"Hey" Elijah gasped a little.

Elena was a vision of beauty in the gown."You look - stunning."

"Well, thank you. Crazy as it sounds - this feels  like  a weird Cindarella moment. A Ball and everything."

"The Ball will look very fairy tale- like - but it's far from it." Elijah's face was serious.

"You know how to kill a moment - sorry - uhm - wanted to talk to me about tonight? Something about the artefacts?"

"Yes." Elijah swallowed hard, his expression turning a bit grim, "Tristan De Martel was once part of a secret organization called the Strix. I have personally made sure they get disbanded. Now, we  - namely, the Council think that he may have continued under the radar."

"Did they kill my dad?"

"So far we have no evidence. I - " Elijah paused a little.

"What's going on, Elijah?"

"You are linked to the dark objects." Elijah said.

"I know that. There is more, right? Tell me - no matter how bad it is." Elena insisted.

"We have intel that you are one of the dark objects yourself." Elijah said.

"You're kidding me, right?" Elena was shocked.

"No. Though it is not confirmed. Sabine is looking into it. The Strix know of the doppelganger existance." Elijah explained further.

"So, what do you want me to do?"

"Nothing. We're going to test Tristan. And the witch - Aya Al-Rashid, who appeared in town." Elijah replied.

"So, you're using me as some kind of bait." Elena concluded, a streak of disappointment gleaming at the Original.

Elijah wished to deny it, but it was so. "I'm sorry - this was a bad idea. You should not go."

"Oh, I'm going. If this is going to get us closer to find my dad's killer - I'm in."

"Elena" Elijah started, but was interupted  by Rebekah and the hairdresser.

"You can continue chatting at the Ball." Rebekah said. "We'll be late. No glass shoes, Ella - I mean, Elena. These red boots should fit you.

"Boots?" Elena was puzzled seeing the victorian granny boots.

"You obviously haven't worn a gown ever." Rebekah said. "You'll be dancing. Trust me, you'll be grateful you got boots on."

"Fine by me. I can wear my army boots then."

"Whatever you wish." Rebekah said now urging her to sit and have her hair done.

Elijah excused himself, telling them that he'd be waiting for them in the Salon.

An hour later

De Martel House

Elena and Elijah's entrance exuded whispers among the Strix members. They knew of Elena being a doppelganger and have mystical powers.

"Let's get a drink." Elijah suggested.

"Great idea. I need a drink." Elena tried hard to keep her nerves in check.

"We stay together. I will not let anything happen to you." Elijah said.

Elena nodded a little, taking the glass of champagne that Elijah handed her.

She looked around taking in the grand theatrical display of the Ball. If some had told her six months before that she would be standing next to  one of the Old ones, at a Ball of the NOLA aristocracy, she would laugh, dismissing it as a crazy fantasy.

And now, she was living this fantasy,  a fantasy that was brutally real.

"Here, he comes" Elijah muttered sensing Tristan De Martel approaching.

"Good evening" Tristan, the host, greeted Elijah and Elena. "You grace me with your presence."

Elena withdrew her hand as if she was stung.

"I have admired your artwork for years." Tristan said.

"I've only exhibited once and that was with my friends from the Academy."

"But you've done remarkable murals in Mexico, and Grafitti all over Europe. Especially in Barcelona. Also, the illustrations of famous children books, like Pinocchio, my nephews favourite."  Tristan said.

"Right - " Elena utterrd not phased by all the flattery.

"The cotillion is about to be played. May I have this dance?" Tristan offered his hand.

"You may not." Elijah stepped in. "Elena has already reserved this dance for me."

"Well, the second dance then." Tristan was not letting up.

Elena sighed, nodding.

Tristan stretched a satisfing smile, throwing a smug glance at Elijah before he excused himself.

Elena turned to Elijah, taking a sip of the champagne, "Thank you."

"Do not worry - you don't have to dance with him if you do not want to."

"I am not really good at these formal dances. Though I learned one for a school play." Elena said.

"You needn't worry. I will lead." Elijah said, offering his hand.

"Ok  - here we go." Elena took his hand and the walked to the dance area.

On the other side of the ballroom, Klaus' heart skipped a beat seeing Caroline stroll  in the room.

"I thought that you wouldn't make it."

"I told you that my job was unpredictable." Caroline said.

"I hope nothing grevious happened."

"No. You know I can't talk to you about it."

"And we won't. How about a dance now?" Klaus offered his hand to her.

"Oh, yeah." Caroline smiled a little, taking the Hybrids hand.

Give me love like her
Lately I've been waking up alone

Give me love like never before
'Cause lately I've been craving more
And it's been a while but I still feel the same

The second they started moving, most of her jitters smoothed away as the music took over. She felt right in his arms, both swaying n'sync, steps flowing between them like sighs slipping against a silk pillow. His eyes locked with hers, exchanging small smiles as they glided over the dance floor, lost in the magic of the moment. It was like they stepped on the glimmers of light spinning inside a kaleidoscope.

Give a little time to me or burn this out
We'll play hide and seek to turn this around
All I want is the taste that your lips allow
My, my, my, my, oh give me love

Elena's heart fluttered wildly, like a tremulous bird trapped in her chest. Her body squirmed just a little as her muscles relaxed as he pulled her closer to him. She breathed in softly. She was lost in those warm brown eyes. Eyes that  were the colour of earth kissed by spring rains. Behind the glittering amber, she could see his soul. Compassionate, kind- hearted, gentle.

"Elijah" she muttered dreamily.

"Yes?" he held her gaze, blantabtly dazed.

"Uhm - nothing." Elena gulped, feeling a slight shiver crawl up her heart.

Twirling her away and then back to her, both suddenly stopped still.

"What the Hell?" Elena looked astonished in the direction of the bar.

Elijah, same as the doppelganger silently voiced the same, his expression turning grim.

to be continued_
a/n:
Is Hayley back? Resurrected?
Twists and turns...😁🙄😝

Thank you so much for reading😀💕

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro