Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

• ° • ° • °

The entire jewelry store experience had been exhausting, and I could feel my patience slipping away with each passing minute. Lucas sat leisurely on a couch, acting like he had all the time in the world, while I rejected every ring that the experts presented to me. They were beautiful, yes, but none of them were unique. I wasn’t looking for just another piece of jewelry that could be found on someone else's finger. I wanted something special—something that felt like it was meant for me, even if this marriage was a farce.

After an hour of this frustrating back and forth, Lucas finally stood up. For a moment, I thought we were leaving. But instead, he walked over to me without saying a word. His face remained expressionless, just as it had been the entire day. It was almost unnerving how calm he always seemed. Then, his gaze shifted to something behind me, something that had caught his attention.

"Bring me that one," he said to the assistant, pointing to an item I hadn’t noticed before. I turned to see what it was, but before I could get a glimpse, Lucas stepped behind me, preventing me from looking. I stood frozen as I felt him close the distance between us. He gently brushed my hair to one side, his fingers grazing the back of my neck. A chill ran down my spine as his breath hovered near my ear.

I didn’t know what to expect, but soon enough, I felt the cool touch of a necklace being draped over me. His fingers lightly traced my collarbone as he adjusted the jewelry, and I caught myself holding my breath, too focused on the sensation of his touch to even notice the necklace itself. His proximity was overwhelming, yet strangely comforting.

"This one," he finally said, smiling for the first time. "Wear this as a sign of our engagement."

He led me to the mirror, our hands still linked. I watched as his tall frame stood behind me, his muscular arms wrapping around my waist. Despite everything, I felt secure. His sapphire-blue eyes locked onto mine through the reflection, while I observed how the necklace fit perfectly on my neck. The silver chain was adorned with diamonds, and in the center hung a pink diamond shaped like an oval locket. It was exquisite, and I couldn’t deny that it suited me.

As I traced the locket with my fingers, I noticed an inscription on the back: Per volar sunata. I smirked at the phrase, recognizing its meaning—born to fly. How fitting.

In that moment, I felt a sense of power. I glanced at Lucas in the mirror, watching how his sharp, commanding presence contrasted with my own. My amber-gold eyes narrowed, and a smirk played on my lips, making me appear more devilish than even my sister could ever hope to look. Lucas noticed my expression and nodded, knowing I had given him the green light to purchase the necklace.

He promised to personally select a ring for me, though I didn’t pay much attention to that. Promises didn’t hold much weight these days. I knew I could always buy something else if I wasn’t satisfied later. We left the building and got into the car, but this time, his assistant was nowhere to be seen.

"Where did Jeffrey go?" I asked as the car started moving.

"He went to buy you some clothes," Lucas replied, his expression unreadable. "You didn’t bring any with you."

I narrowed my eyes, sensing something strange in his tone. "And what if they don’t fit?"

"36, 25, 35," he whispered quietly.

I blinked, confused. "Pardon?"

"Your measurements," he said, a slight chuckle escaping him.

I gasped, my face heating up. This pervert! "You—"

"Look," he interrupted, still trying to contain his laughter. "I’m a businessman. Knowing measurements is just a basic skill in my world."

"You sound like a sick pervert," I snapped, glaring at him.

He turned his head, avoiding my gaze as a smirk lingered on his lips. "You sound like you're embarrassed."

I crossed my arms, fuming in silence, while he seemed to enjoy teasing me far too much. After a few moments of calming myself down, he broke the silence again, asking about my sister’s wedding.

"Are you going to attend?"

"Of course," I replied, shrugging. "She’s my sister, after all. Who else would crash her wedding if not me?"

He chuckled, but then his expression turned serious. "What if she returns the favor on ours? I’d rather not be a laughingstock."

I rolled my eyes, already knowing how things would play out. "You give her too much credit. My sister’s talent for copying others won’t get her far. She’s never been creative enough to pull off something like that."

We both laughed, the sound echoing in the car like the laughter of two scheming villains. Our driver, likely nervous, kept his eyes focused on the road, probably wondering what kind of deal he had gotten himself into by driving us around.

But for now, I couldn’t help but enjoy the moment. The laughter, the banter—it was all just a game. A dangerous game, but one that I was getting better at playing.

• ° • ° • °

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro