5 - chocolate chip cookies

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

that next morning she was determined to find out who had left that daisy on her car' wipers yesterday. it was crazy to think it had been meant to be a sick joke. 

nobody really knew that kihyun, her husband, used to gift her white daisies. and there was a special reason why he would do it. 

she knocked on the door and she heard a soft, male voice, from the other side of it. "come in." 

inha pushed the door opened, to reveal a pair of guys, half-sleep, munching fried squid and the other, green apples. 

"good morning, i am professor lee inha, i came here to see if it's possible to watch the tape from the security camera in the parking lot, around the professor's area." 

the two guys looked at each other, one blond and the other had hazel brown head. "mm sure, but is there any specific reason miss lee?" 

she glanced at their name tags. "uh- well, you see... hwiyoung-ssi and dawon-ssi... it's just... someone left a flower in my car and it didn't have a card on it so i'd like to see who it was." 

the two looked at each other and smiled cheekily. "sure professor lee... let me check for ya." the one with the black long hair and the hwiyoung name tag, said as he quickly typed something onto the keyboard. a few seconds later a video popped in one of the screens. 

"you said it was around...? 4 or 5 pm, right?" the blonde named dawon said. she just nodded as her eyes fixed on the scream. 

"ha! - the blonde started - it seems you have a small admirer professor lee." he said turning around in the chair and smiling sweetly. 

"ahh it's a kid! probably a student." hwiyoung said. she felt frozen in her spot, as kihyun's image appeared on th screen. it was easy to identify. he was the only kid who wore turtlenecks, vests and plaid jackets to school, the only who dressed like an adult. 

also, those puffy red cheeks and pointy nose, she could recognize miles away. 

inha felt a bit embarrassed at the guy's looks, so she tried to play it cool, after all they were probably the same age, they looked in their mid 20's. "ha... yeah, you know how kids are... sometimes they have crushes on their teachers, i'll just have to talk with him. thank you." she bowed slightly as she made her way out of the office. 

thinking of ways to talk to him, to address the situation took her probably most of her morning. she had to help a teacher who couldn't attend since he was feeling bad. so usually, if counselors were free or didn't have anything too important, they would act as substitute teachers. that morning it was second period, professor park's biology class. 

she assigned the usual homework sent by the professor and just waited until everyone delivered. she picked up everything and then the bell rang and most kids made their way to their lunch time. 

inha knew this was her opportunity to look for kihyun and talk to him. so she grabbed her lunch and made her way towards the cafeteria. she looked around, her eyes posing on different small heads that looked similar to his, but he was nowhere to be found. 

sometimes, some kids, would eat the park since there were also tables and resting areas. she stepped outside and the fresh air hit her face. some kids were running and playing around and she looked at the tables direction. 

immediately she recognice him, sitting all alone, eyes lost somewhere. "how weird." she thought. he was definitely different from other kids, she was aware of that. 

inha approached the table where he was sitting. he kept his eyes lost in some point of the playfield, probably watching his friends playing with the ball. "good afternoon." he simply said, without looking at her. 

somehow the way he talked and carried himself wasn't proper of a kid his age, he sounded more old. "good afternoon... do you mind if i eat my sandwhich here? inside is kinda messy and loud." she said softly. 

she noticed how he tensed a bit but finally delivered a single nod and a sigh. somehow he looked tired. still no sign of eye contact from him. 

she noticed he had a notebook on his hands. "may i ask what is that?" she said pointing at it. it had a green hard cover. 

"my therapist suggested i should keep a journal." 

"ah i see... is it working?" she asked.

he shrugged. "right... maybe you'll have to give it a bit more of time, i am sure keeping a journal is a good thing, especially when our head is a bit confused." 

with this, he turned around and his dark intense eyes, met hers for the first time that day. she felt cold shivers running down her spine. "i am not confused." he simply said, with a confidence not usual from a kid his age. softly he returned his intense stare to the playground.

she swallowed hard. "actually... i wanted to ask you something."

he glanced at her, from the corner of his eye but remained silent, inha saw this as a green light for her to ask. "yesterday... someone left a white daisy in my car... and i just wanted to know-

"it was me." he said, making her stop in the second she started talking. her eyes widened in surprise. usually when kids got caught like this, they would refuse at all costs. it was extremely rare when kids admitted they did something that they thought would get punished for. 

"really?" she prefered avoid the whole "i had to go to the security cameras to see who it was" it was in a way, going to cut the embarrassment, that apparently, kihyun didn't feel. 

a simple nod confirmed her that he was aware of what he had done but also, that he wasn't ashamed. "may i ask why did you do it?"

"of course." there was a long silence when he finally turned to her, his almost black eyes stared back at her with an intensity she couldn't quite understand at the moment. "i wanted to apologize for my behavior at your office, that's why."

she felt somehow intimidated by a 10 year old. the way he spoke made her nervous somehow, she looked down at her half eaten sandwhich and pulled it back into its bag and closed it, cleaning her fingers with the napkin. 

inha glanced at her lunch bag and realized she had packed a couple of chocolate chip cookies and soon remembered how these were kihyun's favorites. her heart twitched at the thought of his beautiful smile and puppy begging eyes, every sunday, when he would practically beg for her to bake a batch of these cookies. she could never refuse, the expression of total bliss on his face, was reward enough for a thounsand years. her heart would race whenever he tasted one of them and closed his eyes, as if he was enjoying the most amazing dessert in the whole world, made by none other than his lovely wife. 

she glanced at kihyun next to her and then at the cookies. she grabbed one and offered to him. 

the sweet smell of the chocolate and vainilla essence hit him and he quickly turned around and found the cookie she was offering to him. 

it was easy. a kid would never refuse a treat like this. "thanks. these are my favorites." he said grabbing the cookie from her hand. in that moment she stayed quiet at the scene, that quickly send shivers down her spine. 

he took the cookie from her hand and took it to his nose, he inhaled the sweet aroma, a smile forming on his lips, tiny smile, as he took a bite of the cookie, closing his eyes. his reaction was exactly the same as his. 

the eerie weird feeling building up at the back of her head told her it was time to shake up those feelings and focus on the present. it was highly probable that chocolate chip cookies were most of the people's favorites and probably most kids would react this way when given one, after all, her kihyun acted like a kid sometimes, only when it came down to food. 

"they're delicious." he said now looking at her, he opened his mouth to say something else, but deception filled his eyes. she realized that whatever he was planning to say, he changed his mind and was now keeping it to himself. 

"i am glad you like them..."

"these were my favorites." he said looking at her with begging eyes, as if he was somehow trying to ask her for something.

something she couldn't quite decipher. 

she ate her cookie as she tried to focus on what she was going to ask since the beginning. "so... i am curious about something... why a white daisy?" 

he sighed, eating the last bit of the cookie. "isn't it obvious? those are you favorites." her eyes widened as she tried to understand how this kid could ever know something like that.

she turned to look at him but his intense eyes were on her already, as if he was asking her for something, again. 

inha opened her mouth to say something but quickly the bell rang and he got off the table. "i'll go now. see you." he said, zipping up his jacket and walking back into the building. 

that left her confused. noboby knew this piece of information, she was sure of it. not even changkyun, who was her brother in law. 

she glanced at the spot where he was sitting seconds ago and felt her heart racing as absurd thoughts built in her mind. 

what was going on with this kid? 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro