003 / diy carrie white...

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

THOUGH THE FACE of the digital alarm clock perched atop the kitchen counter read 12: 06 AM, Rosemary Daviss found herself incapable of sleeping. She'd tried relentlessly to sleep, chasing down the slivers of exhaustion taunting her, but her busy mind refused to rest for even a second. So, she gave up and trudged out of bed, to the kitchen in search of an ice-cold glass of water.

Rosie leaned against the countertop, squinting against the darkness enveloping the scarce space of the apartment. She was supposed to work a shift at the mini-mart after school tomorrow, but her mom also worked, so Maya had no babysitter, which me—

The sound of a door opening tore her from the vortex of worried thoughts she'd fallen deep into, bringing her back to the current of reality. Ahead, the front door hung open, and her mother stood in between in the frame, tiredly smiling at her teenage daughter. She'd finally finished with her double shift, Rosie assumed.

"Hi, Mom," Rosie chirped, raising the hand she didn't hold her drink in silent greeting. She grinned at the woman, who was making her way toward her.

"Lynn," Sarah Daviss greeted warmly, pulling her daughter into a tight embrace. "What are you doing still awake?"

Being held by her mother, flush against her apron which still smelled of the food she'd been serving for the past twelve hours, brought forth a great wave of comfort. It washed over her in kind tides, murmuring silent promises of love and fortune. The security of her arms around Rosie tethered her to the final luxuries of childhood. The ends of her blonde hair tickled the apples of Rosie's flushed cheeks, leaving permanent marks atop her freckles.

Sometimes, though she tried not to, Rosemary resented her mother. It wasn't fair to the woman, for she tried her hardest, and Rosie knew that. But, she couldn't help the pang of anger and hatred that shot through her, piercing her most vital organs and infecting her bloodstream, whenever the woman picked up another late night shift and requested Rosie spend the small amount of free time she had looking after Maya.

Rosie was forced to give up her teen years due to the lack of money her family possessed. And she wasn't necessarily fond of it. That didn't seem to occur to her though when her mom held her close, the way she would when she was a small child.

"Couldn't sleep," Rosie murmured, but the sound was muffled against her mother's serving apron.

The younger Daviss woman pulled away with a shrug, and her mother draped an arm around her shoulder.

"Where's Maya?"

"Our room," Rosie informed her with a sigh, "Tucked safely into bed. Probably dreaming of sugar plums and fairies."

Sarah laughed, squinting down at her daughter. "You're good to her. I'm happy she has you."

Rosemary averted her gaze downward, to the striped socks she wore over her feet, nodding solemnly. "I know. Thanks, Mom."

"You should get to bed, Rosemary. You've got school tomorrow."

So Rosemary did. She went to bed, her thoughts still swarming, yet she was slightly relieved by her mother's presence, able to rest.

"CYBER BULLYING IS no laughing matter!" The school's guidance counselor spoke, addressing the boerd crowd of students who sat sporadically placed around lunch tables. "Sending a cruel message to someone online can be just as hurtful as saying it to their face."

The occupants of Rosie's lunch table sat solemnly, staring down at their plates. Every student knew what this presentation was about— who it was about.

"I'm not gonna name names, but the other day a mother called me up because her son was crying after some kids online made fun of his facial deformity!"

The entire cafeteria erupted into a series of hushed accusations, and terribly muffled giggles of cruelty. Rosemary frowned, placing a hand atop Eli's shoulder, hoping to provide him with some sort of comfort.

She thought it was absolutely ridiculous that anyone made fun of Eli merely because he had a scar above his lip. As if that had anything to do with his overall character whatsoever.

Eli was one of the greatest, most thought-provoking individuals Rosie had ever had the displeasure of meeting, and for some strange reason, hardly anyone seemed to notice that. It was a shame, but at least Rosie's small yet devoted friendship got Eli all to themselves.

"But today, our goal here is to make this school a safe place for all students," the woman hopefully continued.

Miguel, seemingly intrigued by the topic, turned toward the sulking trio, tuning out the counselor. "If you're sick of being bullied my karate dojo is looking for recruits."

Rosie was surprised, to say the least. Miguel really didn't seem like the type of person to voluntarily take Karate lessons, let alone advertise these lessons to his newfound friends.

Demetri scoffed, while Rosie just grinned half-heartedly, denying his kind offer with a shake of her head.

"Yeah, right," Demetri chortled, "You hear that Eli? A little karate training and you're gonna kick some major ass!"

"I'm serious Demetri," Miguel defended, "My sensei's the real deal. I'm sure I could get you both discounts."

Rosemary popped open the tab of her diet soda, switching her gaze to the Diaz boy. "Violence is never the answer, Miguel. Kill 'em with kindness!"

The aforementioned boy grinned wildly at her, nodding though he didn't necessarily agree with the message Rosemary was trying to convey. Sometimes, violence was crucial. However, Rosie had a way of saying things that almost made Miguel agree with them.

She didn't hold a single ounce of cruel intent within her being, of course, she'd be opposed to the idea of taking karate lessons.

"Besides," Demetri began, yet again, "as enticing as that sounds, I think we'd rather spend our afternoons playing Crucible Control than getting hit in the face."

Miguel seemed to have quit trying to push the topic. They were a lost cause.

"Oh, and one last thing," The counselor spoke into her microphone again, "While we're all looking forward to the Halloween dance, let's make sure our costumes are culturally sensitive. For example, instead of "sexy nurse," maybe try gender-neutral hospital employee."

All of the students laughed, minus Rosemary who nodded in understanding. Though, due to the lack of supervision for her little sister, she wouldn't be attending the dance, she still thought the message was well-mannered.

The counselor continued to drone on about wise costume choices, but she'd already lost the students' attention. Excited chatter broke loose in the hall, for the pupils were absolutely enthralled by the concept of the dance.

"What are you guys going as?" Miguel questioned, "I was thinking Deadpool."

His friends cooed in excitement, all very avid comic book fans.

"I'm going as a necromancer," Demetri informed them, smiling proudly at the mention of his costume.

"I'm being a surgeon," Eli added.

Then, Miguel turned to Rosie, eagerly awaiting her response, "And what about you, Rosie?"

Rosie sighed in disappointment, perching her chin atop her hand. She really did want to attend the dance, she just couldn't. Much like how she couldn't do anything a normal teenage girl could due to her family's financial stance.

"I unfortunately can't go. I want pictures though!"

Miguel deflated at her confession, his smile dwindling. He seemed to find the idea of the dance not even half as appealing now upon discovering this. "Oh. Why not?"

"My mom works," Rosie said, "There's nobody to watch Maya but me."

For a second, the boy seemed disheartened. Then, his face lit up immensely, the goofy smile Rosie had grown to quickly love took over his face again.

"I'm sure my mom could watch after Maya. Free of pay," Miguel told her, suddenly taking notice of the purple headband she wore. Its bright shade and minuscule floral pattern drew his gaze toward it. He wasn't sure how he didn't see it before. Perhaps he was too busy focusing on the glittery eyeshadow she sported.

"No, I couldn't ask that," Rosemary quickly shook her head. She wasn't one who willingly accepted free services from others. She knew, from the lesson that was her childhood, that hard work deserved to be rewarded.

"She loves kids! It'd be her pleasure, really!" Miguel assured her, his tone pleading. He was absolutely eager to spend more time with her. Outside of school hours.

She was something of an enigma. An amalgamation of all things positive. It was a complete mystery as to how she managed to stay incredibly kind despite all the teasing she'd endured. Her aura, a glowing array of pastels, drew him in, beckoning him to crack the case that was Rosemary Daviss.

He wanted to learn from her. Miguel Diaz hoped to someday be as eternally good as Rosie.

"I'll think about it."

THANK GOD MAYA'S best friend's mom had volunteered to watch her while Rosie picked up an extra shift at the mini-mart. If it weren't for the woman, Rosie would have had to call in, and her manager really hated when she did that. She swore she was three sick days away from getting fired.

And she couldn't afford to lose her job. Literally.

And, thank God she'd remembered her earbuds this time. The melodic tune that was Take on Me by A-ha poured from her headphones, into her ears and motivated her to finish stalking the candy aisle. She slightly swayed in place, humming to herself as if there was no one around to hear her. She didn't care who was able to hear her though, the song was too good to not hum along.

When Rosie spun in place, she didn't expect to come face-to-face with Miguel Diaz. He was standing awkwardly, leaning against a nearby shelve. Rosie nearly leaped twenty feet in the air at the sudden sight of him. For, just a moment ago the store was empty (minus Rosie and her manager).

"Hi," He greeted with a small wave.

Rosie tore the earbuds from her ear, her startled frown turning upward into a relieved smile.

"Miguel, hi," Rosie nodded, her eyes raking over his figure.

"I wanted to tell you that I talked to my mom," Miguel informed his friend, "She said she'd love to watch your sister tomorrow!"

"Really?"

He only nodded in confirmation. This was enough for Rosie though.

"You're a lifesaver, Miguel Diaz."

THAT'S HOW ROSEMARY found herself standing outside of the Diaz family's apartment the next afternoon, her fist hovering over the wooden door.

"Are you gonna knock?" Maya criticized, clinging onto her older sister's hand. "Or should I?"

"I'm gonna knock...." Rosie said, gnawing on her bottom lip. "I just—-"

However, before she could finish her sentence, the door swung open, revealing a middle-aged woman dressed in scrubs. She seemed very pleased to see the sisters standing before her, and she quickly ushered them inside.

"Come in," She demanded warmly, making way for the two to enter the apartment. "You must be Rosemary and Maya. I'm Carmen, Miguel's mother."

The atmosphere of the apartment was warm, much like that of the woman herself. The beige walls were littered with photographs of the small family, many being of Miguel as a young boy. Something was playing on the TV, emitting soft background noise. And in the kitchen, an elder woman cooked something that wafted an amazing aroma. It was exactly the type of place Rosie would feel secure in leaving her sister at.

"Yes ma'am," Rosie confirmed, following the woman further into the small home. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

Carmen clapped her hands in joy, "Miggy has spoken quite highly of you."

A maroon tint blossomed high on her cheekbones, taking hold of her usually pale face. She wasn't aware the boy spoke of her, and it made her wonder, what exactly did he say? She was absolutely flattered he deemed her important enough to discuss with his family.

"Really?" Rosie sighed, a bubble of emotion wedging itself between her ribs. She could feel Maya's teasing stare boring into her but ultimately chose to ignore it.

"Yes," Carmen confirmed, a knowing smirk unfurling across her lips. "I would call him out here to say hello, but he's at debate right now."

Rosie furrowed her blonde eyebrows. Debate?

As far as she knew, Miguel didn't take debate. Besides, didn't he mention having a karate lesson that day?

"Oh, okay," She murmured, then she shook her head, dismissing those thoughts. She'd have to drill him about that later. "Thank you again for this, Ms. Diaz."

Carmen waved her hand dismissively, "No need to thank me. It's been a while since we've had a child in the house, and I was starting to miss it. Would you like my phone number, in case of emergencies?"

Rosie quickly nodded, pulling out her cell phone. Then, she typed the woman's number down as Ms. Diaz listed it. After that, they said their goodbye and Rosie left, heading toward the school.

It wasn't a long walk, and it was one she took every day. So, within fifteen minutes, she arrived at the school and shoved her way through the sweaty mobs of students, politely murmuring apologies to everyone she accidentally shoulder-checked as she went.

The interior of the gym was even more packed than the outside. Dozens of teenagers dressed extravagantly and heavily caked in makeup swayed to the beat of whatever corny pop song was blaring from the speakers. Purple strobe lights flashed obnoxiously, illuminating her path as she made her way through the gym, to the mob of rejects where her friends stood.

Demetri and Eli were cowered together, watching their peers dance, surrounded by a cloud of artificial smoke.

"Fancy seeing you boys here," Rosie joked, approaching her best friends. "Awesome costumes, by the way!"

Demetri gave her a once over, "What are you supposed to be?"

Rosie twirled, wiggling her fingers, mocking jazz hands. She was wearing an old pink nightgown that brushed her ankles, and she carried a bouquet of fake plastic flowers. Most importantly, from head to toe, she was drenched in red kool-aid that she hoped somewhat resembled blood. Even her hair, which was falling loose from the hastily done updo she previously modeled, was soaked in the reddish liquid.

"DIY Carrie White," Rosie whistled, picking up the hem of her dress and curtsying to her unimpressed friends.

"Well, your costume looks terrible," Demetri joked dryly.

"You look great too, 'Metri!"

Just then, the final member of their newly established quartet joined them. He wasn't dressed as Deadpool as he had promised, instead, he wore a tight skeleton body suit, and his face was painted to match.

"Oh, skeleton. Classic," Demetri acknowledged with a curt nod. "Nice."

Then, they discussed their costumes like they hadn't done so at lunch the day prior. Miguel looked elated to see Rosie, practically bouncing on the tips of his toes.

"Are you... Carrie?" He questioned, his eyes roaming over her near-ancient gown and homemade sash. He thought the red of the fake blood complimented the blue in her eyes, though he'd never say it aloud. That would be weird. "The costume looks nice."

"Yeah!" Rosie confirmed. "What happened to Deadpool? I mean not that this isn't totally awesome."

"Change of plans, I guess."

With a nonchalant, oh, they moved on from the conversation topic of their costumes and were quick to discuss the others' getups. Situated behind the punch table now, they allowed their gazes to rove over the others.

"God, do you see those dragon queens?" Demetri groaned, downing his fourth cup of punch. He stared longingly out at a trio of girls. "They're hot."

Following his line of sight, Rosie's stare landed on the girls he was speaking of. And she had to admit, they were fairly gorgeous.

When she turned back towards her friends, she expected them all to be paying full mind to the girls. However, while Eli and Demetri were solely focused on them, Miguel was looking straight at Rosie.

She didn't know that he was admiring the way the colorful LEDS strung around the gym reflected off of her porcelain skin, setting her serene features alight with a soft, vibrant glow. Or that he was entranced by the way the third button of her dress hung loose and undone, revealing the fair—koolaid—covered skin of her collar bone. By her content grin and the dimples it caused to appear atop her flushed cheeks.

Taken aback, she offered him a scrunched-nose smile. He returned it gladly.

"You make a good Carrie," He told her. And she swore her heart performed a perfectly choreographed gymnastics routine in her chest.

"And you make a good skeleton—"

"Great. We missed our shot with the dragon queens," Demetri scoffed, nodding toward the girls. One was being led away by the hand, by some guy dressed as Doctor Who.

"Just lost one to Doctor Who," Miguel whined, though he didn't seem terribly upset.

"I have to go to the bathroom," Eli admitted bitterly, and Demetri was quick to agree.

"Yeah, me too. That punch is going right through me."

The two trudged off, and Rosie and Miguel followed behind, still discussing the other's costumes. While Miguel was brutally honest about them, Rosemary made sure to only point out the good parts.

When the group made it out of the gym, Rosie vowed to wait just outside the boy's bathroom for her friends, considering she, as a female, wasn't allowed in. So, that's what she did, leaning against the brick wall. She shot a quick text to Carmen, making sure Maya was alright and behaving well, and before she could do much else, Kyler and his doofus minions trampled by.

"Yo, Virgin Mary," Kyler called, tipping his pirate hat down to her. "What the fuck are you even supposed to be?"

"Hi, Kyler. Cool costume," Rosie sighed, ignoring the stupid nickname. "I'm Carrie. From... Carrie."

He didn't really seem to care despite his asking. Kyler turned back to his chortling friends, indulging himself in some vulgar conversation about a bracelet.

Rosie sighed when he and his gang entered the same boy's bathroom her friends occupied. She just knew he was most likely going to give them a hard time in regular Kyler fashion.

And, true to her suspicions, it wasn't long before Demetri and Eli shot from the bathroom, the latter gripping the frilly sleeve of her gown and trying to drag her away from the scene. They were both frantic, seemingly terrified. And Miguel wasn't with them.

"Guys, what happened?" Rosie coaxed, struggling against his hold. "Where's Miguel?"

"We had to leave him back with Kyler. Every man for themselves," Demetri retorted.

But Rosie wasn't having it. She broke away from the boys and made her way back toward the locker room, not very surprised to hear the harsh sound of grunts and thuds coming from the area.

"Oh no," She bellowed. "No. No. No."

Though it totally went against her morals, Rosie broke through the door of the locker room. She was expecting Kyler to give Miguel a hard time, as he was the school's resident bully. But she was completely taken aback when she spied his goons holding back Miguel as Kyler hit him repeatedly with a golf club.

"What are you doing?" Rosie shrieked, dropping her fake bouquet. The sight made her feel queasy— sick to her stomach. "Leave him alone!"

They listened. Not because they were afraid of Rosie, but because they were afraid of getting caught. Besides, they'd figured Miguel had enough. For now.

"You're lucky I won't hit a girl, Daviss," Kyler sneered, "Tell anyone about this and you're dead."

That was the last thing he said before leaving a groaning Miguel sprawled across the floor, and a petrified Rosie looming above him. Kyler and his friends left, giggling as if they didn't injure an innocent boy.

Immediately, Rosie dropped to her knees beside the injured boy, ignoring the way the grimy tile dug into her bare skin. He was hardly conscious, yet he still managed to look up at the girl through teary eyes. His makeup was smudged and his face was bloody.

"Rosie?" He managed weakly. He grimaced like saying her name hurt him.

"Yeah. It's me. You're okay," Rosie choked, though bile rose in her throat. She needed to find immediate help.

Just then, the door swung open and Rosie expected it to be Kyler returning for round two. Instead, Johnny Lawrance, her mean neighbor from apartment nine was standing there, staring down in horror.

She hadn't a clue what he was doing in the school, but there wasn't enough time to dwell on that.

Johnny wasn't a reliable adult. But he was an adult, so Rosemary begged, "Please help him."

lyn says / longest chap of this book so far and I have ALOT to say so buckle in. the beggining scene was very crucial because i find moments like these so NANWNNSNANAN. idk if Rosie and miguel are moving too fast but idk i love them sm so idrc! also i think i'm going to try and update every other day !

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro