Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

( LEGALLY BLONDE )

Sam and Elena watch as Dean and Jo leave. Elena looks at Sam. "So...what are we supposed to do?" She asks.

"I guess we wait." Sam says.

Jo and Dean are walking down a dim hallway with EMF readers. "So. You gonna buy me dinner?" Jo asks.

"What are you talking about?" Dean asks.

"It's just if you're gonna ride me this close it's only decent you buy me dinner." Jo jokes.

"Oh, that's hilarious." Dean says. "You know, it's bad enough I lied to your mom, but if you think I'm letting you out of my sight...I don't know if you've noticed, but you're kind of the spirit's type."

"Exactly." Jo says.

"You wanna be bait?"

"Quickest way to draw it out and you know it." Jo says.

"Oh."

Jo looks at Dean. "What?" Jo asks.

"I'm so regretting this." Dean says.

"You know, I've had it up to here with your crap." Jo says.

"Excuse me?"

"Your chauvinist crap. You think women can't do the job." Jo says.

"Sweetheart, this ain't gender studies. Women can do the job fine. Amateurs can't. You have no experience." Dean says.

"Last time I checked, that little princess of yours isn't a professional." Jo says angrily.

"Now that's a long story." Dean says. "But what you do have is a bunch of half-baked romantic that some barflies put in your head."

Jo scoffs. "Now you sound like my mother." She says.

"Oh, and that's a bad thing? Because let me tell you..." Dean starts.

"What?"

"Forget it." Dean says.

"No, you started this." Says Jo.

Dean sighs. "Jo, you've got options. No one in their right mind chooses this life. My dad started me in this when I was so young...I wish I could do something else." He confesses.

"You love the job." Jo says.

"Yeah, but I'm a little twisted."

"You don't think I'm a little twisted too?" Jo asks.

"Jo, you've got a mother that worries about you. Who wants something more for you. Those are good things. You don't throw things like that away. Might be hard to find later." Dean says. They approach a grating near the floor. As Jo stands in front of it, a dark hand slides through the holes towards her legs. She turns around, gasping. "What?" Dean asks.

"I'm not sure." Jo says.

"You smell that?" Dean asks, looking around.

Jo sniffs the air. "What is that, a gas leak?" She asks.

"No. Something else. I know it. I just can't put my finger on it." Dean says.

Jo crouches by the grating; EMF reader purrs. "Mazel Tov. You just found your first spirit." Says Dean.

"It's inside the vent." Jo says.

Dean crouches beside her, shining his flashlight. He hands it to her. "Here." He says. He pulls out a screwdriver and unscrews the grating, pulling it off the wall. "There's something in there. Here."

He reaches his arm inside, feeling around. He pulls his hand out, holding a clump of blond hair. "Somebody's keeping souvenirs."

APARTMENT BUILDING
[ ☼ ]

Another young blonde woman, Teresa Ellis, enters her apartment, carrying mail. She drops her bag on the counter and starts opening a letter, muttering to herself. Goo drips from the ceiling onto the paper, which she tosses in the garbage. The lights flicker; looking up, she sees a large crack appear in the ceiling.

"This building, I swear to God..." She says.

A loud scraping sound pulls her eyes back up; a long crack is moving across the ceiling. Panicked, she picks up the phone, but gets only static.

"Screw it, I'm out of here." She goes to the door and tries to open it, but can't.

She looks down by a grating near the floor; the creepy slimy hands from earlier reach out and grab her legs. She screams as they pull her to the floor.

The next morning, Sam and Elena had woken up early. They were currently at a coffee shop, obviously getting coffee. Elena sat down at a table while Sam ordered. He came back with a greasy bag. "Hey, I got you something." Sam says.

"A present. For me?" Elena asks.

Elena smiles as they walk out of the coffee place. "It's in the bag." Sam says. Elena reaches into the bag and pulls out a pastry.

"A cronumuffin?" She asks, smiling.

"I just thought since last time we were at a coffee shop, that you'd like one." Sam says.

Elena moves her hair behind her ear. "Yeah. Thank you." She says and they stare at each other for a while.

"We should probably–" Sam starts.

"Head back." Elena says. "Yeah."

At the apartment, Dean is twisted up in a very awkward sleep-position on a leather sofa. Sirens sound nearby and he wakes, groaning. Jo is sitting at the table, twirling her knife and studying notes and blueprints. "Morning, princess." She says.

"Where's Sam and Elena?" Dean asks.

"Went to get coffee." Jo answers.

Dean gets up slowly, grimacing. "Ugh. My back. How'd you sleep on that big soft bed?" He asks.

"I didn't. Just been going over everything." She says. Dean looks down at her, considering. He places a bag onto the table and pulls out a Bowie knife, unsnapping it from the sheath and handing it to her, hilt-first.

"Here." Dean says.

"What's this for?" Jo asks.

"Work a hell of a lot better than that little pig-sticker you're twirling around." Dean says.

Jo takes the knife, then hands him hers. He studies it, and sees engraved on the blade: W.A.H. He looks up at Jo, getting it. "William Anthony Harvelle." She says.

"I'm sorry. My mistake." He takes his knife back, sheathing it.

"What do you...what do you remember about your dad? I mean, what's the first thing that pops into your head?" Jo asks and Dean shakes his head. "Come on, tell me."

Dean takes a seat. "I was six or seven, and uh, he took me shooting for the first time. You know, balls on a fence, that kind of thing. I bulls-eyed every one of 'em. He gave me this smile, like...I don't know." He says.

"He must have been proud." Jo says.

"What about your dad?"

"I was still in pigtails when my dad died, but I remember him coming home from a hunt." Says Jo. "He'd burst through that door like, like Steve McQueen or something. And he'd sweep me up in his arms, and I'd breathe in that old leather jacket of his. And my mom, who was sour and pissed from the minute he left, she started smiling again. And we were...we were a family. You wanna know why I want to do the job? For him. It's my way of being close to him. Now tell me what's wrong with that."

"Nothing."

Sam bursts through the door like Steve McQueen or something. Elena trails behind. "Where's the coffee?" Dean asks.

"There are cops outside. Another girl disappeared." Sam says.

Sam and Jo are studying the notes, a little more urgently than before. Dean, after leaving with Elena, returns, shutting the door. "Teresa Ellis, Apartment 2F. Boyfriend reported her missing around dawn." Dean says.

"And her apartment?" Jo asks.

"Cracks all over the plaster, walls, ceiling. There was ectoplasm, too." Elena says.

"Well, between that and that tuft of hair I'd say this sucker's coming from the walls." Says Sam.

"But who is it? Building's history is totally clean." Dean says.

Jo picks up a photograph. "Well, maybe we're looking in the wrong place." She says.

"What do you mean?" Elena asks.

"Check this out." Jo offers Sam a photo.

Sam looks at it. "An empty field?" He asks.

"It's where this building was built. Take a look at the one next door. The windows." Jo says.

Elena walks over to Sam and leans over his shoulder to get a good look. "Bars." She says.

"We're next door to a prison?" Dean asks. Jo moves to the other side of the room and pulls out a cellphone. She seems to be calling someone.

After a while, she finishes talking. "Thanks, Ash. And if you breathe a word of this to my mom...That's right. I will. With pliers." Jo says and turns to the rest of them. "Okay. Moyamensing prison. Built in 1835, torn down in 1963. And get this. They used to execute people by hanging them in the empty field next door."

"Well, then, we need a list. All the people executed there." Sam says.

"Ash is already on it."

Sam is scrolling down a very long list of names on his laptop. "A hundred fifty seven names?" Sam asks.

"We've gotta narrow that down." Dean says.

"Yeah." Elena agrees.

"Or else we're gonna be digging up a hell of a lot of stiffs." Says Dean.

Sam scrolls down to the name HERMAN WEBSTER MUDGETT and clicks on it, frowning. "Herman Webster Mudgett?" He asks.

"Yeah?" Jo says.

"Wasn't that H. H. Holmes' real name?" Elena asks.

"You've gotta be kiddin' me." Says
Dean.

Sam looks at the laptop. "Yep. Holmes was executed at Moyamensing, May 7, 1896." He says.

"H. H. Holmes himself. Come on, I mean, what are the odds?" Dean asks.

"Who is this guy?" Jo asks.

"'The term "multi-murderer.' They coined it to describe Holmes. He was America's first serial killer, before anybody knew what a serial killer was." Says Dean.

"Yeah, he confessed to twenty seven murders, but some put the death toll at over a hundred." Sam says.

"And his victim flavor of choice? Pretty petite blondes." Dean says and Elena sighs. "He, uh, he used chloroform to kill 'em. Which is what I smelled in the hallway last night. At his place, cops found human remains, bone fragments, and long locks of bloody blonde hair."

Elena turns to Jo. "Boy, you sure know how to pick 'em." She says.

"Well, we just find the bones, salt 'em and burn 'em, right?" She asks.

"Well, it's not that easy. His body is buried in town, but it's encased in a couple tons of concrete." Sam says.

"What? Why?" Elena asks.

"The story goes that he didn't want anybody mutilating his corpse. 'Cause, you know, that's what he used to do." Dean points out.

Sam sits straight. "You know somethin'. We might have an even bigger problem than that." He says.

"How does this get bigger?" Jo asks.

"Holmes built an apartment building in Chicago. He called it the Murder Castle. The whole place was a death factory, they had, uh, trap doors, acid vats, quick line pits... he built these secret chambers inside the walls. He'd lock his victims in, keep them alive for days. Some he'd suffocate, others he'd let starve to death." Sam says.

"So Teresa could still be alive. She could be inside these walls." Jo says.

"We need sledgehammers, crowbars. We've got to smash these walls, anywhere thick enough to hide a girl." Dean says.

BUILDING WALLS
[ ☼ ]

Dean and Jo are squeezing through crawl-spaces inside the building walls. Jo is on the phone. "Okay. Call us after you check the southeast wall." Jo hangs up. Sam and Elena are almost done with the first floor. Hasn't found jack squat either." Dean stops. "What is it?"

"It's too narrow. Can't go any further." Dean says.

"Let me see." Says Jo.

"What are you-" Dean starts, but she squeezes past him. "Ugh. Shoulda cleaned the pipes."

"What?" Jo asks.

"I, uh, I wish the pipes were cleaner." Dean says.

"Shut up. I can fit in there." Jo says and begins moving.

"You're not going in there by yourself." Dean says.

"You got a better idea?"

"You-" Dean starts.

"Uh-huh."

Jo continues down the tight space past Dean. After she goes out of sight, he calls her on the phone. "Where are you?" He asks.

"On the north wall." She finds an air duct and starts climbing down it. "I'm heading down some kind of air duct."

"No, no, no, no, stay up here." Dean says.

"Look, we've gotta find this girl, don't we? I'm okay." Jo says.

Dean studies the blueprints. "All right. I'm heading to you." He says.

She comes out into a similar space on a lower level and presses on. Goo starts pouring out from the wall cracks. "Oh god." She says.

"What is it? Jo? Jo!" Dean yells. Jo screams.

Dean runs down to the lower level, trying to hear where she is. "Jo!" He takes the sledgehammer he's carrying and smashes a large hole in the wall. He pokes his head in and finds where Jo was, her cell phone lying on the floor. She is gone.

Dean rushes back up the hallway, running headlong into Sam and Elena. "Whoa." Sam says.

"He's got Jo." Dean says.

"What? How'd that happen?" Elena asks.

"I wasn't with her, I left her alone. Damnit!" Dean yells.

"Hey, hey, look, we'll find her, all right?" Sam says.

"Where?"

"Inside the walls." Sam says.

"We've been inside the walls all night. None of the other girls were there, she won't be either."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro