03. Pay back

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

———Y/N stared at the jacket, she touched her temple.

The headache was almost gone, right now it was the stomach cramps that were killing her.

Her nightmarish engagement dinner had been two nights ago, Noaya had probably been fuming with rage, so much so they hadn't heard a single word back from the family.

She could put in a bad word for the food, but the restaurant that had been catering the night would undoubtedly go mysteriously bankrupt overnight.

That's how powerful the Zenins were.

She shuddered.

"Are you catching a cold? Put on a jacket"

A soft voice called from the door, it was her sister.

Y/N shook her head wrapping her cardigan tighter around her body.

"I'm good, I'm just gonna head out for a walk"

She attempted to step in front of the coat but Mio already had her eyes locked on the too-big jacket

"Where'd you get that from"

"Borrowed, I'm going to return it"

She mumbled, but Mio was unconvinced. Y/N took it down, shoving it into a plastic bag.

"Got it last week from a friend"

She lied

"You don't have friends"

Y/N glared. It was true though, not a lot of people came calling around.

"Well, I made one, I'm going to go pay them a visit"

——

Toji was smelling like soot again, He took off his goggles and his partner snorted.

He was a tall black-haired man.

"Nice tan line"

"Shut it, stitches"

Stitches' Actual name was Suguru Getou, he was one of the youngest in his division. A high school dropout, still hovering at the age of 19, a good five years difference.

His defining feature was the scar that ran along the length of his forehead, a story he had never really gotten around to telling Toji.

They had recently gotten off a job, a restaurant had gone up in flames a couple of blocks down.

Toji hopped out of the truck, smearing a hand over his forehead.

"Hey, Toji! Someone wants to see you!"

A voice popped up, Satoru Gojo, another dropout just like Getou. He leaned against the hood of the now parked vehicle.

"And She's a cutie"

"What"

Toji frowned, he was too exhausted for this.

Grumbling he waved in acknowledgment before marching over to the side door to the front of the fire station.

Pushing the door open he glowered out at the figure sitting in the reception chair, she immediately stood up.

In her arms, she was clutching a bag.

He towered over her, his shoes giving him a couple of inches. She looked different from last night, more tired without her makeup, but less constrained in casual clothes.

"Mr.Fushigrou? I uh, I brought back your jacket"

——

At first, the words had stuck in her throat as she stared at him.

His face was dirty, except for the outline of goggles around his eyes. His lips were pulled into a scowl, a single scar running through them and it jumped as it deepened.

He smelled like smoke, black hair pulled back with a headband exposing his forehead, the faintest hint of stubble on his chin.

Fushiguro was built like a tank, even relaxed she could see his muscles, his black shirt taut across his chest teasing that idea that the slightest flex would tear the garment into bits.

She cleared her throat forcing her eyes away.

"Mr.Fushiguro, my Name is L/N, I wanted to return the jacket you gave me a couple of nights ago"

He glanced at the package in her hands, his eyes turning back up to her face.

"Couldn't ya have just mailed it"

"Well, yes but I just wanted to say thank you in person"

He didn't reply, she stretched her arms towards him, letting the dry cleaning bag draped over her arms.

"I got it cleaned and pressed, good as new. There should be a receipt inside if anything is wrong. Of course, it's only the best, so I don't think you should have any problems with it"

Y/N realized she was rambling so she shut her mouth inhaling the rest of the sentence. He took it out of her hands. They were huge, she stared as he tucked it between his left arm and torso, one eyebrow raised.

"Thanks"

Her arms fell awkwardly to her sides and she swallowed.

"I should get going"

"Hey! Aren't you going to introduce us"

She glanced over his shoulder, a white-haired boy leaned against Toji. He was cleaner, wearing a crisp pair of trousers. He hooked both thumbs into the straps leaning forward.

"No, she's leaving"

"I am?"

She blinked before shaking her head.

"I'm here to thank you personally, I've made reservations for lunch and-"

"He'd love to"

Toji glared as Gojo cut him off, he was grinning elbowing the older man on his side.

Y/N decided to take the answer. She did feel bad about taking such an expensive jacket.

____

Y/N stared at him. Toji stared right back.

Her fingers hovered over the laminated menu as she watched him cast a wary glance all around.

He stuck out like a sore thumb in the small restaurant, it wasn't too high class, but certainly swanky enough for his work boots to stand out.

"You can buy anything, Mr.Toji, it's on my tab"

"Listen, miss, I don't take charity, I'm only here to spare ya the embarrassment of rejection"

He leaned forward, and she frowned.

"Now thank me so I can leave"

"Well that's just the problem"

Y/N folded her hands over the menu. He seemed irked by her shift in character as he leaned back a little, unsure what to make of it.

"I don't accept handouts either, you have to allow me to return the favor"

He glared.

"Listen, miss, I know you're one of those rich types, you don't have any businesses meddling with lower caste folks, so you can do me a favor and buzz off"

He pushed back his chair as she watched, stone-faced.

"You have a son?"

At this he turned around sharply, his eyes searching hers. Something in his face had changed at that.

"I heard your friends talking about him while I was waiting for you, he needs-"

It happened in a millisecond, a clatter as the chair was pushed out from behind the broad man, his face inches away from her.

She didn't flinch, only staring up at his dark blue eyes, her reflection frowning back defiantly at her.

Everyone in the restaurant was staring, they were making a scene, no Toji was, she was sitting politely, an unmovable statue.

"Keep your expensive little nose out of my business, alright"

She could hear the repressed temper in his voice and she watched as he swiped the small bag of food off of the table walking off.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro