54|Parting Ways

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Dean, Ellen and I managed to convince Rufus and Jo that we weren't demons, and that War was actually in town causing all the trouble. The people from the church showed up, wanting to kill us, of course. Dean and I hurried upstairs to free Sam while Rufus, Jo and Ellen held down the fort downstairs.

"Dean, it's not demons," Sam said when we came in.

"It's War," we all spoke in unison.

"I just can't figure out how he's doing it," Dean said, cutting his brother free.

"The ring," I said, and Sam nodded.

"The ring. The ring- that's right. He turned it before he made everybody hallucinate and go hell bitch," Dean nodded in understanding.

"Right," Sam agreed.

"We got to move. Come on," I told them.

We hurried out of the house, ignoring the sound of fighting going on as we made our way back to the cherry red Mustang we'd seen when we got to the town. War was already there, planning on ditching town. We managed to stay out of sight until the last minute, Sam and Dean grabbing him from behind. While they held onto him, I pulled out Ruby's knife.

"Whoa. Okay. That's a sweet little knife," War smiled. "But come on. You can't kill war, kiddos."

"Oh, we know," Dean said.

Sam slammed War's right hand against the Mustang, and I brought down the knife, chopping off all four of his fingers, excluding the thumb. The ring he'd been wearing clinked to the pavement.  In the distance, all the sounds of fighting vanished. Dean leaned down, picking up the ring, and when he straightened back up, War and the Mustang had disappeared.

After saying goodbye to Rufus and the Harvelles, we ditched town, pausing at a rest stop.

"So, pit stop at Mount Doom?" Dean asked, holding up the ring.

I snorted, but Sam remained silent.

"Dean-" he started after a moment.

"Sam, let's not," Dean sighed.

"No, listen. This is important. I know you and Ellie don't trust me."

Dean and I avoided his gaze.

"Just, now I realize something," he continued. "I don't trust me either."

We both looked at him, but didn't speak as he went on.

"From the minute that I saw that blood, only thought in my head... and I tell myself it's for the right reasons, my intentions are good, and it, it feels true, you know? But I think, underneath... I just miss the feeling. I know how messed up that sounds, which means I know how messed up I am. Thing is, the problem's not the demon blood, not really. I mean, I, what I did, I can't blame the blood or Ruby or... anything. The problem's me. How far I'll go. There's something in me that... scares the hell out of me, Dean. In the last couple days, I caught another glimpse..."

"So what are you saying?" Dean inquired.

"I'm in no shape to be hunting," Sam admitted. "I need to step back, cause I'm dangerous. Maybe it's best we just... go our separate ways."

We were all silent, Dean's expression thoughtful.

"Well, I think you're right," he spoke finally.

My jaw dropped as I looked across the table at him.

"I was expecting a fight," Sam said, echoing my thoughts.

"The truth is I spend more time worrying about you than doing the job right," Dean elaborated. "And I just, I can't afford that, you know? Not now. And sure, I worry about Ellie, too, but it's different with her."

Sam nodded, swallowing.

"I'm sorry, Dean."

"I know you are, Sam."

Sam moved to stand, and Dean held up the keys.

"Hey, do you, uh, wanna take the Impala?"

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Not only was Dean okay with letting his baby brother out of his sight, but he was offering to part with Baby as well.

"It's okay," Sam shook his head.

He stood up, taking a few steps before turning back again.

"Take care of yourselves, guys."

"Yeah, you too, Sammy," Dean nodded.

Sam walked over to the Impala, grabbing his bag and walking over to a pickup truck nearby. He and the driver exchanged a few words, and then the pair climbed into the truck together and drove off.

"What just happened?" I asked after a moment.

"Looks like it's just you and me for a while, Ellie Bear."

I turned from looking after the truck to meet Dean's eyes. They were duller than usual, but he had a cocky smirk on his face as he winked at me and stood to head over to the Impala. I rolled my eyes, following him to the car.

It was almost scary, hunting with Dean now that Sam was gone. We barely took breaks in between hunts, though there were breaks long enough to exchange heated kisses and some other activities. I was sitting cross legged on the bed in one of the many motel rooms that had blurred together while Dean was washing his jacket in the bathroom, when a familiar flapping of wings met my ears.

"God!" Dean swore. "Don't do that!"

"Hello, Dean," Castiel's voice carried in.

"Cass, we've talked about this, personal space?"

I snickered as Cass apologized. Dean left the bathroom, heading over to the bed with Cass close behind.

"How'd you find us? I thought I was flying under the angel radar," Dean said.

"You are. I can still sense Eleanor," Castiel pointed out.

"Yeah, because you refused to hide me like them," I muttered.

"Where's Sam?" Cass asked, ignoring my comment.

"Sam and us are taking separate vacations for a while," Dean shrugged on his clean jacket. "So. You find God yet? More importantly, can I have my damn necklace back, please?"

"No, I haven't found him. That's why I'm here. I need your help."

"With what? God hunt? Not interested."

"It's not God, it's someone else."

"Who?" I asked.

"Archangel," Cass said. "The one who killed me."

"'Scuse me?" Dean quirked an eyebrow.

"His name is Raphael."

"You were wasted by a teenage mutant ninja angel?"

"I've heard whispers that he's walking the earth," Castiel continued, Dean's sarcasm going over his head per usual. "This is a rare opportunity."

I rolled my eyes, rising from the bed.

"For what? Revenge?"

"Information," the angel corrected me.

Dean slipped back into the bathroom to clean off his knife.

"So, what," I continued, "you think you can find this dude and he's just gonna spill God's address?"

"Yes, because we are gonna trap him and interrogate him."

"You're serious about this?"

"So what," Dean said, coming back in, "Ellie's Thelma, I'm J.D. and you're Louise and we're just going to hold hands and sail off this cliff together?"

He pushed past Cass, putting his knife away.

"Give us one good reason why we should do this," I demanded.

"Because, Dean's Michael's vessel and you're the Ecclesia and no angel would dare harm either of you."

"Oh, so we're you're bullet shields," Dean glared at the angel.

"I need your help because you are the only ones who'll help me. Please."

Dean and I exchanged a look, considering.

"Alright, fine," I nodded. "Where is he?"

"Maine. Let's go."

Cass reached to touch each of us on the foreheads with two fingers and we both leaned away.

"Whoa," I protested.

"What?" Cass retracted his hands.

"The last time you zapped us someplace I didn't poop for a week, and Ellie..." Dean trailed off glancing at me. "We're driving." 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro