7 ❥ THE DETECTIVE PRINCE

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Are you absolutely sure you're okay, nii-chan?" Shiina asked worryingly into the phone.

"I'm fine, Shiina. It was just the press." He told her, for the twelfth time.

"But it's UA!" She continued to protest, biting her lip. "How could the press break through UA's barrier?!"

"I'm not sure," he answered her calmly. "I'm curious about that as well."

"What if it wasn't the press?" She paled. "Oh god, nii-chan, what if it a villain?!" She hissed, her voice getting louder the more she fretted.

"Don't worry, Shiina," he assured her once more. "I'm fine, aren't I?"

She huffed, frowning deeply. "I'm glad you are... I'm just worried! I can't believe UA was broken into by a bunch of reporters..."

"Everything's fine now." He said. "You should stop worrying and enjoy your festival. I'm sorry I couldn't come."

"No, it's fine," she said, but she was still pouting. Despite how bad of an idea it was to invite Shouto to Shujin's festival, she wanted to spend time with her brother. Unfortunately, their father was still pissed with their 'disobedience' and forced Shouto to undergo more training then usual. Shouto told her that he'd be fine, but she didn't care. She wanted her brother out of the house.

They bid each other goodbye and hung up.

"How is he?" Makoto asked when Shiina returned to the group.

She heaved a sigh, "He says it was just the press, but... I don't know. How could the press manage to break through UA's barrier? I mean, it's UA!"

"You have a point," Yusuke said. "But if your brother says it's okay, then it must be nothing dangerous."

"I know, I just can't help but worry." Shiina sighed again before trying to brighten herself up. "So, what'll we be doing?"

"Since it's likely that there are police officers dressed in plain clothes, we should all be careful about what we discuss," Makoto instructed.

"What do people even do in high school festivals?" Futaba asked, looking a little panicked since she wasn't good at this whole 'socializing' thing quite yet.

"We'll just be acting normal. Like, eating and looking around the stands." Ann said.

"Yeah," Akira agreed. "Just act like you're having fun."

"Um, the school festival in name isn't supposed to be for fun..." Makoto trailed off. "More importantly, all of our names have been brought out during the investigation." She said.

Ann frowned. "A number of the teachers had been questioned before, and even we were interviewed the other day too."

"Don't let your guard down too much." Makoto said firmly.

"It's true that the initial members have been at this for a long time, making it easier to get tracked..." Morgana said.

"Alriiiiiiight..." Ryuji said in a whiny tone.

"Now, now. Let's leave it at that. We just need to be mindful about what we're saying, correct?" Haru smiled.

"You seem to be having quite a lot of fun, Haru. You did mention that you were looking forward to this." Yusuke pointed out.

"I wanted to go around with everyone and eat at the refreshments stands." She said sweetly.

It was obvious to Shiina that Haru was the cinnamon roll of the group. Even if she did enjoy cutting off the heads of Shadows with an ax.

"Well, it'll be a nice change of pace! A lot of nasty stuff's continued lately!" Futaba exclaimed.

"Shall we head off to the stands then?" Makoto asked pleasantly.

"Let's do it." Akira said.

They were all led by Ann, who claimed to know a great stand that they could visit. When they reached there, Shiina rose a brow at the girl wearing a maid costume standing behind the counter.

"This is the place!" The blonde said happily.

"'Maid Takoyaki'?" Haru read the sign.

"This is like a mini maid cafe!" Shiina exclaimed.

"New customers! I'll show you all to your seats." Ann said, beaming.

Realization dawned on Ryuji. "...So it's your class' stand."

"It's still a refreshment stand, isn't it?" Ann snapped.

"It's like a deserted island in here..." Futaba commented, looking at the empty hallway.

Shiina shrugged. "Beats what my class did."

"What did your class do?" Akira asked.

She shrugged again. "I don't know. I wasn't paying attention. You guys text too much during class."

He sweat dropped. "Well... you don't exactly have to reply..."

She scoffed. "Now that would just be plain rude! I'm not the type to leave the other's on read."

"That's because you don't turn your read receipts on." He pointed out.

"I only do it when I'm feeling particularly petty and want the person to know that I'm ignoring them," she smirked deviously, giving Ryuji some side eye which he rolled his eyes at.

Ann lead them to a table and since there were only six seats, Shiina and Ryuji had to steal a couple of chairs for Morgana and themselves. Because the whole place was isolated, it was easier for them to talk about their... Phantom Thieves business.

"We heard a lot of rumors even on our way here." Haru said despondently.

"And it was all bullshit." Ryuji glared.

"Here she comes," Morgana warned, spying the maid heading towards them. "Act normal."

"Welcome home!" The students said cheerfully. "May I take your order?"

Ryuji gawked at her. "'Take my order'?! What happened to the maid atmosphere?!"

Shiina swatted his arm. "Keep your dirty thoughts to your dirty self."

He grumbled something to her in return and pettily nudged her foot but she ignored him and continued to check out the menu.

"There are a lot of odd flavors..." Yusuke commented.

"Stick to the normal one," Ryuji advised. "I bet they—"

She cut him off. "—I'm so sorry. We sold our last normal one to the previous customer."

"What the fuck..."

"Well then... I'll have the mentai cheese takoyaki." Yusuke said.

Shiina wondered if she was hearing correctly. Did he just say 'hentai'?

"I'm sorry. We're out of cod roe."

It was Haru's turn to try. "Then, how about the squid—"

"—Um... We're currently out catching squid. It'll probably take another five or six hours..."

So basically, the entirety of the festival. Shiina deadpanned.

Ryuji shared the same sentiment. "That doesn't even sound remotely possible! Ain't this whole menu just a sham?!"

"Actually, we spent most of our budget on making the maid costumes look nice." Ann said, not even bothered by her stand's lack of food. "We didn't put too much effort into the octopus."

"I can see that!" Ryuji glared.

Shiina swatted him again.

"What?!"

"Stop yelling at girls, Ryuji." She rolled her eyes. "You'll never get a girlfriend at this rate."

His face turned red. "Well maybe I don't wanna girlfriend then!"

"Real men don't like guys who yell at girls, so you'll never get a boyfriend either."

Akira and Yusuke even nodded their heads in agreement.

Ryuji was glaring at her while all she did was send him a cheeky look.

"Come on, Ryu, you know you love me~" She teased, even winking at him.

"You're the spawn of Satan, you know that?"

She couldn't help but snicker. "You're not entirely wrong."

"Um," Haru spoke up, cutting them off from their friendly banter. She turned to the maid. "Then, what would you recommend with what you have now?"

"That would be the Russian takoyaki." She replied.

"We'll have that, please." Haru said kindly.

The girl nodded. "This'll take a little time."

Once she was gone, their previous conversation resumed. Everyone leaned closer to the table, their voices lowering in case someone was nearby and could overhear.

"On that note, hearing Kamoshida being almost treated like a victim makes me wanna eat my stress away!" Ann said angrily.

Shiina shuddered at the mention of Kamoshida. The news blew up last year when he admitted to sexually harassing the female athletes while abusing the male ones. Despite that, Shiina still wanted to attend Shujin to be with Ryuji and, now that she was thinking about it, it sickened her how easily her father agreed to it. Fuyumi and Natsuo were visibly against the idea of sending her there, while Shouto even tried talking to their father in private about his own disagreements with it.

But Endeavor still sent her there.

Before, she thought it was his way of being nice, by giving her what she wanted. But now she knew the truth. He sent her there and didn't care once about the dangers of Shujin Academy.

He just wanted her out of his hair.

"I've heard conjecture that the principal was targeted for reasons like 'he knew too much'." Morgana added.

"I kept hearing about Akechi Goro's popularity." Yusuke said.

"All thanks to the Phantom Thieves!" Futaba frowned.

"You know, did that Akechi guy agree to show up here 'cause he believes we didn't kill anybody...?" Ryuji wondered aloud.

"Or, he may simply love large gatherings." Yusuke pondered.

"Oh, true." Ann agreed. "He didn't seem like he minded being pampered by the media at all."

"We plan on stealing intel, but we might fall into another trap. I'm gonna be bummed if that happens..." Morgana said glumly.

"Is the takoyaki done yet?" Akira said randomly.

"You're so carefree. ...Does it mean you have nerves of steel in any situation?" Makoto asked in amazement.

Shiina snorted. "Nah, he nearly pissed his pants when he ran into Shouto and I one night."

Akira winced at the mention of him, remembering his terrifying glare.

Makoto couldn't help but chuckle. "Anyways, it doesn't change the fact that we don't know what Akechi-kun is planning." As she finished saying that, the maid returned.

"Thank you for the wait," she said, setting down their meals.

"Ooh, it's freshly made!" Ann cheered.

"Lies! I heard a microwave go off!" Futaba accused.

Ryuji's head fell in disappointment. "Well, it's not like I was expectin' crispy takoyaki at a school festival or anything. So, what makes this a 'Russian' takoyaki...?"

"Could there be a jam in it as a secret ingredient?" Haru wondered.

"Or Vodka?" Shiina asked hopefully. She could use a bottle or two right about now. A few seats away, Akira face palmed.

"Well... one of these is 'special'." Was all the maid said before leaving.

Morgana stared at it warily. "Uh, one of them's obviously red. That's gotta be the one."

Ryuji's eyes widened. "Dude, don't tell me the 'Russian' part means..." He trailed off.

"It's like, going for the obvious one is manly?" Ann said unsurely.

"I-is that so?" Morgana said nervously.

Yusuke leaned forward to inspect them some more. "I'd prefer the most beautiful shaped one... but all of them are misshapen."

"Oh, aren't you all going to eat? I think I'll go for the special one." Haru stated, and started to reach out for it.

"Wait... is she honestly going for it?" Makoto wondered.

Ryuji grinned eagerly at Akira. "Do YOU wanna go for the red one?"

Akira steeled his nervous and cracked his neck like the show off he was. "I'll take it."

"It was nice knowing you, senpai." Shiina shook her head.

Before anything could actually happen though, a new voice spoke up. "Oh, everyone's here."

Akechi Goro, in all his detective glory, strolled right up to them as if he owned the place. Shiina eyed him suspiciously, still not entirely trusting him (neither of them did).

"Th-the panel isn't until tomorrow though..." Makoto trailed off, shocked.

"I came to check out the venue. I can't make any mistakes since a lot of people will be present." He explained.

"Someone's eager." Futaba muttered under her breath.

"But, people ended up recognizing me. Everyone bombarded me with questions." He said.

"That's 'cause you were sloppy..." Ryuji glared.

Akechi just smiled in reply. "I grew tired of the baseless rumors they kept bringing up, so I escaped to where there weren't any people." Then, he walked up to the front of there table and reached out for the red takoyaki. "I think I'll have one of these."

Um, wow, rude much??? She and Ryuji shared a glance. They were thinking the exact same thing.

Haru gasped. "The 'special' one!"

"Let's just call this my performance fee." Akechi said. Then, he popped it into his mouth

Ann frowned. "But—"

"—It's fine." Ryuji interrupted her, grinning deviously.

Akechi made a sound of delight. "Mmm, it's quite deli—HNNNNGH?!" He looked like he was going to blow up.

Ann's face fell. "Eating it in one bite is a bad idea..." She trailed off, but it was far too late.

He shook his head weakly. "Ngh... My throat...! Urgh! This is...! Ohhhh... Oh, my stomach... It burns...!"

Ann straightened up in alarm, "Are you okay? Do you need water?"

"I-I-I'm fine... I'm fine!" He was clearly lying. "I just love... uh... spicy—spicy stuff... Haha... hah..." He coughed, looking like he wanted to die.

"Hey, does he sound broken to you?" Futaba whispered.

Shiina discreetly nodded.

He even looked broken. His arms were shaking noticeably. "W-well then... I'll... I'll see you... uh.. t-t-t-tomorrow." He turned around and walking away, his back straight and stiff.

"Damn, he's like the poster child of 'fake it till you make it'," Shiina said, impressed.

"He's waddling around like some comedian." Ann added.

Ryuji just crossed his arms. "It's like he wants to get picked up for some commercial or something..."

Yusuke's eyes narrowed in suspicion. "But... did he truly come to simply check the venue?" He questioned. His face then fell. "...This isn't good. I keep suspecting every little thing..."

"...I know what you mean. I'm doing the same too." Makoto sighed. "I need to do my best tomorrow. We need to somehow get him to be our source of intel... I'm gonna pull this off no matter what!" She said firmly.

Futaba frowned, looking thoughtful about something. "That Akechi guy... When he got here, didn't he say that everyone's all here? 'Everyone'...?"

Shiina stiffened. She was right. She definitely heard Akechi say that, as if he was familiar with them.

"You're... you're just imaginin' things..." Ryuji tried to say.

His best friend shook his head. "N-no way, I heard him say that too." She and Futaba shared concerned looks.

Akira pursed his lips, looking uncomfortable. "I wasn't paying attention..."

"Me neither..." Ann said.

The topic was dismissed, but Shiina and Futaba wouldn't stop glancing at each other. They were sure that they heard him right.

Hours passed and nighttime was falling. The festival was soon about to be over and the Phantom Thieves were eager to leave.

"So, I guess we got through all of it okay?" Ryuji asked, looking a little relieved.

"Yes, but the associated mental fatigue was extraordinary." Yusuke said, looking pretty damn tired. "Being cautious takes a lot out of you..."

"Tell me about it," Shiina agreed, rolling her shoulders and hearing the satisfying crack sounds. "I'm so tense I feel like my bones are about to break!"

"I just loved seeing that detective gulp down the special takoyaki..." Futaba snickered.

"I had fun as well," Haru smiled. "Since I got to spend time with you all."

"What would you like to do now, Haru? Walk around a little more?" Makoto offered.

"I appreciate the gesture, but I'm satisfied with stopping here." She replied. "Why don't we go home and rest up? We'll have to deal with Akechi-kun again tomorrow, after all..."

At the mention of the detective, Shiina felt her muscles stiffen yet again.

"I have to agree." Morgana said seriously. "What will his next move be...?"

"How was the festival?" Fuyumi said as Shiina got back home and practically collapsed on the couch beside her sister.

"It was okay," she replied, voice dull.

"Are you alright?" The older woman asked in concern. "You've been so stressed lately and, well, school just started..."

"Festival preparation's getting the best out of me," she lied.

"Is it true that Akechi Goro is going to visit your school tomorrow?" Fuyumi asked curiously.

She scowled and nodded. "Yeah."

"You don't seem happy?" She pointed out.

Shiina's scowl deepened even more. "I met the guy today. He seems fishy."

Fuyumi's grey eyes widened. "You met Akechi Goro?!"

Shiina pouted. "Oh no, nee-chan, don't tell me your a fan of his!" She whined.

"I'm not," Fuyumi chuckled. "But I thought you would be."

"Because he's Quirkless like me?" It was odd. Usually a statement like that would've been said with a bitter tone, but Shiina was a lot more different now. She was Quirkless, but not powerless.

"N-no!" Fuyumi exclaimed, shaking her head. She was obviously lying and she deflated at the pointed look the younger girl sent her. "Okay... I did think that maybe he was someone you would admire since you're both Quirkless..." She admitted.

Shiina huffed. "Just because he's one of the very few successful Quirkless people in the world, doesn't mean I like the guy. There's just something off with him."

"You said you got to meet him tonight. Did he say something weird...?" Fuyumi asked.

Shiina stayed silent for awhile. Akechi definitely did say something weird, but she couldn't exactly tell Fuyumi what it was or why she thought it was so suspicious. So she just shrugged and said, "Not really. He just seems like a fishy guy."

Fuyumi sighed and shook her head in amusement. "You can't judge someone like that, Shiina."

Her scowl turned into a pout. "You would've been creeped out too if you were there!"

"I don't think I would," Fuyumi chuckled.

Shiina just sighed in defeat. "Where's Sho-nii?"

"...Training with dad again." Fuyumi said. "Don't bother them okay? Dad's angry."

Shiina lips thinned into a frown.

"Shouto can handle himself now, so don't worry." Fuyumi said softly.

But it only made Shiina feel worse because who was there for him when he couldn't handle himself?

Why couldn't I have a change of heart sooner? She found herself wondering.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro