030, it's casual WHEN

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

CHAPTER THIRTY

₊˚࿐࿔ 𖥧‧₊⚘ ❀༉. 𓏲。

Sylvie was so glad she slept for the ride to Olympus, because the parts where she was awake were not a blast. They flew with thunder and lightning swirling around the Empire State Building—only made worse that a son of Poseidon was in Zeus's domain.

They circled over midtown Manhattan, making one complete orbit around Mount Olympus. Sylvie had never been there before, and she was starting to get more nervous the closer they got. That anxiety was sort of overriding the underlying trauma and despair right now.

In the early-morning darkness, torches and fires made the mountainside palaces glow twenty different colors, from bloodred to indigo. Apparently no one ever slept on Olympus. The twisting streets were full of demigods and nature spirits and minor godlings bustling about, riding chariots or sedan chairs carried by Cyclopes. Winter didn't seem to exist here—aka, Sylvie was very envious of this place. She caught the scent of the gardens in full bloom, jasmine and roses and even sweeter things she couldn't name. Music drifted up from many windows, the soft sounds of lyres and reed pipes.

Towering at the peak of the mountain was the greatest palace of all, the glowing white hall of the gods.

Their pegasi set them down in the outer courtyard, in front of huge silver gates. Before Sylvie could even think to knock, the gates opened by themselves.

In the back of her mind, she faintly heard Blackjack neigh and Percy breathe "Yeah," but her attention was fully ahead of her. She didn't know why, but she had a sense of doom. Sylvie had never seen all of the gods together—or any of the gods with another. She knew any one of them could blast her to dust.

Blackjack and his friends flew off, leaving Sylvie, Percy, Annabeth, and Thalia alone. For a minute, they stood there regarding the palace, the way they'd stood together in front of Westover Hall. That seemed like a million years ago now.

And then, side by side, they walked into the throne room.

━━━ ◦ ❀ ◦ ❀◦ ━━━

Twelve enormous thrones made a U around a central hearth, just like the placement of the cabins at camp. The ceiling above glittered with constellations—even the newest one, Zoë the Huntress, making her way across the heavens with her bow drawn.

All of the seats were occupied. Each god and goddess was about fifteen feet tall, and let Sylvie tell you, if you've ever had a dozen all-powerful super-huge beings turn their eyes on you at once... Well, suddenly, facing monsters seemed like a picnic.

"Welcome, heroes," Artemis said.

"Mooo!"

That's when Sylvie noticed Bessie and Grover.

A sphere of water was hovering in the center of the room, next to the hearth fire. Bessie was swimming happily around, swishing his serpent tail and poking his head out the sides and bottom of the sphere. He seemed to be enjoying the novelty of swimming in a magic bubble. Grover was kneeling at Zeus's throne, as if he'd just been giving a report, but when he saw them, he cried, "You made it!"

Grover started to run toward them, but then remembered he was turning his back on Zeus, and looked for permission.

"Go on," Zeus said. But he wasn't really paying attention to Grover. The lord of the sky was staring intently at Thalia.

Grover trotted over. None of the gods spoke. Every clop of Grover's hooves echoed on the marble floor. Bessie splashed in his bubble of water. The hearth fire crackled.

Sylvie looked nervously at her mother, Demeter. She'd never seen her mother presently before. Demeter was dressed sort of how Sylvie always expected her too: green and gold robes with a crown of wheat woven on her head. Her long wavy hair was almost auburn like Sylvie's, but Demeter's was less brown and more red-tinted, and she had warm, sienna eyes. Sylvie couldn't help but think her mother was exceptionally beautiful—like a sepia photograph. She wasn't sure how Demeter would feel about seeing Sylvie after what just happened, but the corners of the goddess's eyes crinkled with smile lines. She nodded as if to say It's okay.

Grover gave Sylvie, Annabeth, and Thalia big hugs. Then he grasped Percy's arms. "Percy, Bessie and I made it! But you have to convince them! They can't do it!"

"Do what?" Percy asked.

"Heroes," Artemis called.

The goddess slid down from her throne and turned to human size, a young dark-haired girl, perfectly at ease in the midst of the giant Olympians. She walked toward the demigods, her silver robes shimmering. There was no emotion in her face. She seemed to walk in a column of moonlight.

"The Council has been informed of your deed," Artemis told them. "They know that Mount Othrys is rising in the West. They know of Atlas's attempt for freedom, and the gathering armies of Kronos. We have voted to act."

There was some mumbling and shuffling among the gods, as if they weren't all happy with this plan, but nobody protested.

"At my Lord Zeus's command," Artemis said, "my brother Apollo and I shall hunt the most powerful monsters, seeking to strike them down before they can join the Titans' cause. Lady Athena shall personally check on other Titans to make sure they do not escape their various prisons. Lord Poseidon has been given permission to unleash his full fury on the cruise ship Princess Andromeda and send it to the bottom of the sea. And as for you, my heroes..."

She turned to face the other immortals.

"These half-bloods have done Olympus a great service. Would any here deny that?"

She looked around at the assembled gods, meeting their faces individually. Zeus in his dark pin-striped suit, his black beard neatly trimmed, and his eyes sparking with energy. Next to him sat a beautiful woman with silver hair braided over one shoulder and a dress that shimmered colors like peacock feathers. The Lady Hera.

On Zeus's right, Percy's father Poseidon. He was, for some reason, dressed in beach shorts, a Hawaiian shirt, and sandals. He had a weathered, suntanned face with a dark beard and deep green eyes. Next to Poseidon, a huge lump of a man with a leg in a steel brace, a misshapen head, and a wild brown beard, fire flickering through his whiskers. The Lord of the Forges, Hephaestus.

Hermes was wearing a business suit, checking messages on a caduceus mobile phone. Apollo leaned back in his golden throne with his shades on. He had iPod headphones on, so Sylvie wasn't sure he was even listening, but he gave Sylvie a thumbs-up. Dionysus looked bored, twirling a grape vine between his fingers. And Ares, well, he sat on his chrome-and-leather throne, glaring at Percy while he sharpened a knife.

On the ladies' side of the throne, Sylvie's mom sat next to Hera on a throne woven of apple-tree branches. Next to Demeter sat a beautiful, gray-eyed woman in an elegant white dress. She could only be Annabeth's mother, Athena. Then there was Aphrodite, who was smiling at one of them knowingly, and it made Sylvie blush even if it wasn't directed at her.

All the Olympians in one place. So much power in this room it was a miracle the whole palace didn't blow apart.

"I gotta say"—Apollo broke the silence—"these kids did okay." He cleared his throat and began to recite: "Heroes win laurels—"

"Um, yes, first class," Hermes interrupted, like he was anxious to avoid Apollo's poetry. "All in favor of not disintegrating them?"

A few tentative hands went up—Demeter (thanks, Mom), Aphrodite.

"Wait just a minute," Ares growled. He pointed at Percy and Thalia. "These two are dangerous. It'd be much safer, while we've got them here—"

"Ares," Poseidon interrupted, "they are worthy heroes. We will not blast my son to bits."

"Nor my daughter," Zeus grumbled. "She has done well."

Thalia blushed. She studied the floor. Sylvie suddenly knew how she felt when another god spoke up:

"So has my daughter," said Demeter. "She has shown true greatness and perseverance on her journey."

Sylvie didn't think anyone's face could be redder than Thalia's, but here she was. She'd never even talked to her mother before, much less gotten a compliment.

"You were always weak when it came to the Duvalls," Athena cleared her throat, sitting forward. "While I am proud of my daughter as well, there is a security risk here with the other two."

"Mother!" Annabeth said. "How can you—"

Athena cut her off with a calm but firm look. "It is unfortunate that my father, Zeus, and my uncle, Poseidon, chose to break their oath not to have more children. Only Hades kept his word, a fact that I find ironic. As we know from the Great Prophecy, children of the three elder gods... such as Thalia and Percy... are dangerous. As thickheaded as he is, Ares has a point."

"Right!" Ares said. "Hey, wait a minute. Who you callin'—"

He started to get up, but a grape vine grew around his waist like a seat belt and pulled him back down.

"Oh, please, Ares," Dionysus sighed. "Save the fighting for later."

Ares cursed and ripped away the vine. "You're one to talk, you old drunk. You seriously want to protect these brats?"

Dionysus gazed down at them wearily. "I have no love for them. Athena, do you truly think it safest to destroy them?"

"I do not pass judgement," Athena said. "I only point out the risk. What we do, the Council must decide."

"I will not have them punished," Artemis said. "I will have them rewarded. If we destroy heroes who do us a great favor, then we are no better than the Titans. If this is Olympian justice, I will have none of it."

"Calm down, sis," Apollo said. "Jeez, you need to lighten up."

"Don't call me sis! I will reward them."

"Well," Zeus grumbled. "Perhaps. But the monster at least must be destroyed. We have agreement on that?"

A lot of nodding heads.

"Bessie?" Percy gaped. "You want to destroy Bessie?"

"Mooooooo!" Bessie protested.

Poseidon frowned. "You have named the Ophiotaurus Bessie?"

"Dad," Percy said, "he's just a sea creature. A really nice sea creature. You can't destroy him."

Poseidon shifted uncomfortably. "Percy, the monster's power is considerable. If the Titans were to steal it, or—"

"You can't," Percy insisted. He stared Zeus right in the eye. "Controlling the prophecies never works. Isn't that true? Besides, Bess—the Ophiotaurus is innocent. Killing something like that is wrong. It's just as wrong as... as Kronos eating his children, just because of something they might do. It's wrong!"

Zeus seemed to consider this. His eyes drifted to his daughter Thalia. "And what of the risk? Kronos knows full well, if one of you were to sacrifice the beast's entrails, you would have the power to destroy us. Do you think we can let that possibility remain? You, my daughter, will turn sixteen on the morrow, just as the prophecy says."

"You have to trust them," Annabeth spoke up. Sylvie thought all her friends were crazy, speaking up to the gods. "Sir, you have to trust them."

Zeus scowled. "Trust a hero?"

"Annabeth is right," Artemis said. "Which is why I must first make a reward. My faithful companion, Zoë Nightshade, has passed into the stars. I must have a new lieutenant. And I intend to choose one. But first, Father Zeus, I must speak to you privately."

Zeus beckoned Artemis forward. He leaned down and listened as she spoke in his ear.

A shaking hand latched around Sylvie's wrist. She startled, turning to see Percy with panic written all over his face.

"Sylvie," he said under his breath. "Don't."

She frowned at him. "What?"

"Look, I need to tell you something," Percy continued. It was like the words stumbled out of him. "I couldn't stand it if... I don't want you to—"

"Percy?" Sylvie worried. "You look like you're going to be sick."

She was a few seconds away from trying to pat Percy's back and help him throw up. He couldn't speak or move, by the looks of things. He was pale, which was a rare sight for him, and his terrified eyes were glued onto her.

And then Artemis turned.

"I shall have a new lieutenant," she announced. "If she will accept it."

"No," Percy murmured, devastated.

"Thalia," Artemis said. "Daughter of Zeus. Will you join the Hunt?"

Stunned silence filled the room. Sylvie stared at Thalia with a proud grin. Annabeth smiled. She squeezed Thalia's hand and let go, as if she'd been expecting this all along.

"I will," Thalia said firmly.

Zeus rose, his eyes full of concern. "My daughter, consider well—"

"Father," she said. "I will not turn sixteen tomorrow. I will never turn sixteen. I won't let this prophecy be mine. I stand with my sister Artemis. Kronos will never tempt me again."

She kneeled before the goddess and began the words Sylvie remembered from Bianca's oath, what seemed like so long ago. "I pledge myself to the goddess Artemis. I turn my back on the company of men..."

Afterward, Thalia surprised Sylvie a little by coming up to Percy. She smiled, and in front of the whole assembly, gave him a big hug.

When Thalia pulled away and gripped Percy's shoulders, his face was flaming. He stammered, "Um... aren't you supposed to not do that anymore? Hug boys, I mean?"

"I'm honoring a friend," she corrected. "I must join the Hunt, Percy. I haven't known peace since... since Half-Blood Hill. I finally feel like I have a home. But you're a hero. You will be the one of the prophecy."

"Great," Percy muttered.

"I'm proud to be your friend."

She hugged Sylvie, who was more than happy to hug Thalia back a million times harder.

"You're a really amazing person, Weed Whacker," Thalia muttered into the hug.

It was another statement that had Sylvie wholly flustered. But she didn't shy away this time, which was shocking for her. Sylvie responded, "I wouldn't be if I hadn't met you."

Thalia hugged Annabeth, who was trying not to cry. Then she even hugged Grover, who looked ready to pass out, like somebody had just given him an all-you-can-eat enchilada coupon.

Then Thalia went to stand by Artemis's side.

"Now for the Ophiotaurus," Artemis said.

"This boy is still dangerous," Dionysus warned. "The beast is a temptation to great power. Even if we spare the boy—"

"No." Percy looked around at all the gods. "Please. Keep the Ophiotaurus safe. My dad can hide him under the sea somewhere, or keep him in an aquarium here in Olympus. But you have to protect him."

"And why should we trust you?" rumbled Hephaestus.

"I'm only fourteen," Percy said. "If this prophecy is about me, that's two more years."

"Two years for Kronos to deceive you," Athena said. "Much can change in two years, my young hero."

"Mother!" Annabeth said, exasperated.

"It is only the truth, child. It is bad strategy to keep the animal alive. Or the boy."

Poseidon stood. "I will not have a sea creature destroyed, if I can help it. And I can help it."

He held out his hand, and a trident appeared in it: a twenty foot long bronze shaft with three spear tips that shimmered with blue, watery light. "I will vouch for the boy and the safety of the Ophiotaurus."

"You won't take it under the sea!" Zeus stood suddenly. "I won't have that kind of bargaining chip in your possession."

"Brother, please," Poseidon sighed.

Zeus's lightning bolt appeared in his hand, a shaft of electricity that filled the whole room with the smell of ozone.

"Fine," Poseidon said. "I will build an aquarium for the creature here. Hephaestus can help me. The creature will be safe. We shall protect it with all our powers. The boy will noy betray us. I vouch for this on my honor."

Zeus thought about this. "All in favor?"

A lot of hands went up. Dionysus abstained. So did Ares and Athena. But everybody else...

"We have a majority," Zeus decreed. "And so, since we will not be destroying these heroes... I imagine we should honor them. Let the triumph celebration begin!"

━━━ ◦ ❀ ◦ ❀◦ ━━━

There are parties, and then there are huge, major, blowout parties. And then there are Olympian parties. If you ever get a choice, go for the Olympian.

The Nine Muses cranked up the tunes, and Sylvie realized the music was whatever you wanted it to be: the gods could listen to classical and the younger demigods heard hip-hop or whatever, and it was all the same sound track. No arguments. No fights to change the radio station. Just requests to crank it up.

Dionysus went around growing refreshment stands out of the ground, and a beautiful woman walked with him arm in arm—his wife, Ariadne. Dionysus looked happy for the first time. Nectar and ambrosia overflowed from golden fountains, and platters of mortal snack food crowded the banquet tables. Golden goblets filled with whatever drink you wanted. Grover trotted around with a full plate of tin cans and enchiladas, and his goblet was full of double-espresso latte, which he kept muttering over like an incantation: "Pan! Pan!"

Thankfully, the gods had reduced themselves to human size, so they didn't accidentally trample partygoers under their feet. Apollo started chatting with Sylvie. He told Sylvie that she could drive his sun chariot any time, and if she ever wanted archery lessons—

"Thanks," Sylvie told him. "But seriously, I'm no good at archery."

"Ah, nonsense," he said. "Target practice from the chariot as we fly over the U.S.? Best fun there is!"

Sylvie made some excuses and wove through the crowds that were dancing in the palace courtyard. She was looking for Percy. Last she saw him, he'd been trying to tell Hermes what had happened to his least-favorite son.

Then a woman's voice behind her said, "You know, I did mean what I said to the council today."

Sylvie turned and found Demeter smiling at her.

"Oh... Hi."

"Hello, Silviana. You've done well."

Her praise made Sylvie uneasy. Well, it felt good, but it was also the first time Demeter had ever spoken to her daughter. For a moment, Sylvie wondered what business Demeter had being proud. But then she felt like Eurydice, or even her father.

Sylvie shook her head, forcing the thoughts away.

"Thank you, Mom." She didn't know what she was thanking Demeter for, exactly. For not hating her, maybe. But for something else as well. She wanted to say I'm sorry, too, but she didn't know what she wanted to apologize for. Everything, maybe. For not being able to help Eurydice. For being useless. For being Sylvie.

As if Demeter could read Sylvie's thoughts, she said, "What happened with Eurydice was not your fault, my dear. I hate to say that this was... a long time coming."

"Is she really," Sylvie's voice cracked, "on Kronos's side?"

"I'm afraid so," nodded Demeter with a sad look. It was so familiar to Eurydice's sad look that Sylvie had to glance away and breathe. "But don't fret, Silviana. You have so much else for yourself. You are so much more than a sister. This is not the end, though it may feel like it."

"Do you even care?" Sylvie blurted, before she could stop herself. She regretted asking the question instantly. Her heart sped up in fear.

Demeter exhaled forlornly. This wasn't anger, but it didn't make Sylvie feel much better.

"Of course I care," said her mother. There was so much passion in her voice that Sylvie couldn't help but believe it. "I love Eurydice like I love all my children. But I fear she grew to be too much like me. Sometimes it is hard to leave lost causes alone when we love hard enough."

You were always weak when it came to the Duvalls, Athena had said.

"You mean... Dad?" Sylvie rasped.

Suddenly Sylvie knew she took a step too far. Demeter sucked in a sharp, overwhelmed breath. Her eyes grew fiery for a moment, just a moment, but then she blinked and her warm demeanor reappeared.

"Your father is," Demeter struggled to speak, "someone I still hold very dear to my heart, yes."

So why did you leave him? Sylvie yearned to ask.

"He misses you," she said instead, which was probably a million times worse.

Demeter couldn't handle thinking about Conan Duvall for much longer. She couldn't thinking about him at all. She clasped her shaking hands together, hoping Sylvie didn't catch what the thought of a mere mortal did to a goddess.

"That's very kind of you to say, but—"

"You miss him too," Sylvie realized. She had caught it.

The boldness from Sylvie took them both by surprise. It seemed, that when her family was involved, Sylvie couldn't help it. Not when she was starting to think everyone Sylvie considered family was doomed to be cursed. Her dad was sick. Eurydice betrayed her. Sylvie herself was unlucky beyond belief. The least Demeter could do was grant her this assurance.

"Yes," Demeter admitted in a strained voice. "I... I do."

What a tragedy, to love so deeply it made an immaculate goddess crack.

Sylvie realized it had to be her, then. This had to be Sylvie's fault. Demeter loved Conan, and Conan loved Demeter. Why would her mother leave that behind, if not for the failure of a child they had together? It wouldn't take Sylvie by surprise if this was all her fault, but it sure would sting a million times over.

"I'm sorry that I..." but Sylvie couldn't finish what she started to whisper. I'm sorry that I existed, really. She looked down, undeserving of her mother's kind eyes.

"Silviana."

Suddenly Demeter's hand rested on Sylvie's shoulder, and her mother wasn't the god of lightning, but she still felt shocked in a more drastic way than Zeus could ever accomplish. Sylvie felt the power radiating from just this one point of contact.

"Your father is the type of person that people can't help but fall in love with," and Sylvie agreed wholeheartedly, but then Demeter followed it up with, "and that's what makes you just like him."

And then Sylvie was being pulled into a hug.

It stunned Sylvie beyond belief. Demeter was warm—like a regular human—and she had a sweet distinctive scent of a rainstorm over a field of jasmine. Sylvie teared up, but she refused to cry any more, she just screwed her eyes shut and welcomed the embrace.

When Sylvie pulled away, her mother smiled kindly.

"And what you inherent from me," Demeter said, "is a great power inside of you. It will fester now after what happened on Mount Tamalpais—Emotions can be your downfall, but they don't have to be. I know you will do well with your gifts. You are my daughter, after all."

And just like that Demeter was gone.

Sylvie stood there, still, a little dumbly for a few seconds. A part of her wanted to say she didn't understand a word of what Demeter said, but the fearful side of Sylvie did. And "fearful" was a large side of her.

She swallowed, blinking rapidly. Sylvie was about to keep searching the crowd when another voice spoke.

"Your mother is right, you know."

Sylvie found herself looking at a young, elegant girl who Sylvie had grown to be comfortable in the presence of.

"Artemis," Sylvie greeted, bowing her head slightly. "Thanks for, uh, vouching for us at the council, and all. Really."

She smiled fondly. "As I said before, heroes deserve to be rewarded. And you, Sylvie Duvall, are most certainly a hero."

Sylvie swallowed nervously and found that Artemis's proud eyes were too much to handle. Sylvie had received enough godly praise for today, so out of anxious habit, her eyes began darting around the party. Her right thumb ran along the edge of her glove.

Sylvie's eyes locked with Percy's.

She didn't know how she hadn't found his intense eyes sooner—they felt like they were boring into Sylvie's soul. Percy was focused on the talk between her and Artemis. He looked sick again, just like he had before Artemis asked Thalia to be her lieutenant.

Sylvie looked away to nod gratefully at the goddess.

"Thank you, Artemis," she said. It was weird that Sylvie was always being so grateful around her, but Artemis was always saying so many things to be grateful for.

"Admittedly, I do have other reasons for coming up to you," Artemis said, which Sylvie figured, but it still made her blood pump faster. "I wanted to ask if you've thought over my proposal at Westover Hall."

Sylvie could've laughed, because of course she thought it over. She was Sylvie Duvall for fuck's sake. All she did was think. Artemis's previous words were a constant rotation in her thoughts:

I'm extending this opportunity to you, Sylvie, because I have seen how amazing of an addition to my ranks you would be. You could be immortal, and hunt with me forever. Swear your loyalty to me. You've seen what it's like with us—you could be apart of that.

"I... yes," Sylvie admitted quietly. "I have. Thought about it."

Sylvie had to turn her head away again. She couldn't help but look at Percy as she said those words. Yes, she'd thought about the Hunt, but she'd also thought about other things a lot more. One of them was staring right back at Sylvie like he hadn't looked away the entire time. Percy seemed so panicked that it almost hurt.

"Well, Sylvie," Artemis's voice sounded. "Will you join me?"

A small smile appeared on Sylvie's face the longer she looked at Percy, without even realizing it.

Looking him right in the eyes, Sylvie told Artemis, "No."

Sylvie turned to glance at Artemis, whose entire elegance fell.

"I'm really flattered and honored and everything," Sylvie said, "and I really respect you and your Hunters... But I don't think I can join you, Artemis."

Artemis's eyes flickered to where Percy was, at the other side of the party. "I see," she said distastefully. "Well, your choice has been made."

"I hope you're not mad," Sylvie worried. Being on a goddess's bad side was up there on her list of fears.

Artemis did seem upset, but she softened a little at Sylvie's panic.

"No," confessed Artemis. "I respect you even more, Sylvie. I'd be a fool not to."

"Thank you," Sylvie exhaled a breath of relief. "For, like, the millionth time."

"No, thank you," Artemis nodded gracefully. "For everything. And have a good day."

Just like Demeter, Artemis disappeared into the crowd.

Sylvie looked at Percy one more time before she did, too.

━━━ ◦ ❀ ◦ ❀◦ ━━━

Sylvie tried enjoying the rest of the party as much as she could, even if parties were quite literally an anxious girl's worst nightmare. Sylvie mingled and she snacked and she steered clear from being swept up onto the dance floor. She got caught up in a much-too emotional conversation with Annabeth that consisted of discussing Eurydice and Luke, and Sylvie finally admitting her blatantly obvious feelings for Percy—Annabeth knew, of course, but she loved hearing when she was right. After everything the Athena girl had been put through, Sylvie felt like she owed Annabeth that win.

Then at the snack table, Grover tried putting Sylvie onto tin cans. He figured that most of their diet was already the same, so by that logic, Sylvie should enjoy the taste of flimsy metal, too.

Spoiler: Sylvie did not.

Sylvie's breaking point for social interaction came in the form of the sea god himself: Poseidon. It was a quick conversation, but definitely not a calming one. Even if Poseidon assured Sylvie he just wanted to get to know his son's friend, Sylvie couldn't help but feel there was more to it than he led on.

Needless to say, Sylvie was exhausted of talking to people after that. However, there was one person she never got tired of talking to. And Sylvie had been looking for him ever since she talked to Artemis and Sylvie lost track of him.

"Percy!" she said after, running through the crowd after finally catching sight of him. But she stopped short when she saw who he was talking to. "Oh... Mom."

"I will leave you," Demeter said to Percy. "For now."

She turned and strode through the crowds, leaving a distressed Percy behind. Sylvie's heart dropped to the bottom of her stomach in horror.

"Was she giving you a hard time?" Sylvie asked.

"No," Percy shook away his bashfulness. "It's... fine."

Sylvie studied him with concern. She couldn't help but gently touch the new streak of gray in his hair—a painful souvenir from holding Atlas's burden. But Percy seemed like he really didn't want to talk about that, or Sylvie's mother. Before she could say a word he was speaking up again.

"So—not a Hunter, then?" Percy gestured to her conversationally, trying to act casual.

Sylvie's hand retracted, gaze shifting from his hair to his eyes. She laughed softly. "Nah," Sylvie shrugged coyly, "figured I was too shit at archery."

Percy nudged her, rolling his eyes to force being unamused.

"So," she said. "What did you want to tell me earlier?"

The music was playing. People were dancing in the streets. He said, "I, uh, was thinking we got interrupted at Westover Hall. And... I think I owe you a dance."

Sylvie smiled slowly. "Alright, Fishstick."

So Percy took her hand, and Sylvie didn't know what everybody else heard, but it sounded like a slow dance: a little sad, but maybe a little hopeful, too.

━━━ ◦ ❀ ◦ ❀◦ ━━━

BAILEY YAPS...

A million dollars to whoever has the best suggestion for what Persylv danced to

Artemis always glazing Sylvie. Lowkey gay as fuck!!😭🫵

Btw this is the second to last chapter of this act and... y'all.

I'm so excited for Battle of the Labryinth

Like i just had to call it it's full legal name because that's how excited I am for it.

Anyways who else out here declining the Hunt without even looking a goddess in the eye disrespectfully because you're too busy staring at Percy Jackson...

Sylvie got a hug from her mom I think that healed me a little. Or maybe it broke me I can't decide

Underrated chapter mvps: Sylviebeth conversation and Grover force feeding Sylvie a tin can

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro