{6} Mourn

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

-three months ago-

So many people...burning...

Help! They screamed. She couldn't do anything, though. Moon! Help!

I can't do anything! She screamed back. I don't know what this is!

She watched as they slowly turned into ash, a scream forming in her mouth, but never making their way out.

She woke up, gasping for air.

The next day, Carnelian was announced dead.

~

Mourn, my soul, for the end has come.

And you, my dear, is the cause.

"Welcome to your tape, Sora Mud"

~

Moon had always loved to go outside at night and watch the stars. And if a comet or two flew by, that was a bonus.

One day, she decided to go outside. She hasn't since Winter had died, and she never planned to. She didn't want to go out there alone. She wanted to share he beauty of the night with somebody. But now, she had something else in her hand: a tape.

She had always loved the small space by her apartment room. It seemed like a little paradise. No worries, no money problems, no mother crying to her sleep at night.

But, on a particular November day, someone else had come.

Winter.

It was a sunny day, and she was rambling on about how she wanted to I outside. Instead, they were stuck with a boring math assignment. They had been friends for a couple of months now, and she had started feeling okay around him, not as scared or afraid as she had before. Now, it was something more like admiration, or fascination.

He had shrugged. "What can we do about it? Everyone says you're powerful enough to do your own thing, but to say the truth, you're not. Everyone and everything controls your life, whether you want it or not."

Moon had always loved those philosophical questions they had when they were together. It puzzled her so much that she always thought about it over the night, struggling to get a good answer for him. That was what Winter Absher was: a handsome, bright boy that sometimes thought about things nobody ever could get close to answering. 

I'm those few months, she has thought him as, well, inhuman. She didn't anymore, though. Everyone had weaknesses, and his was doubt. He couldn't see how good, how perfect, he truly was. He doubted himself. He doubted himself until he broke.

At that time, her answer had been quick. She had already thought about the question so many times. "We can always run. Run away from everything. From family, from school, and especially from horrible math teachers that assign partner work in a sunny day just to annoy us."

He flashed her one of his rare grins, only to disappear once again. It made her proud, though.

"We could. But the question is, would we?" He narrowed his eyes. "It means a ruined life. A ruined family, ruined records, ruined everything. Would you risk that just for your own pleasure?"

"Yes." She shrugged. She remembered admiring his ability to think ahead. That was one of her greatest flaws. She never thought about the consequences. "Well, maybe not alone. Maybe I had someone else with me. Maybe my mom. I don't know. I don't care if it ruins my life, but I don't want to ruin hers. I want to affect people positively with my actions, not negatively. But if I have to suffer because of my choices, so be it."

"Fairness doesn't mean that everyone gets what the want; it means they get the equal amount of things." He turned to her, his eyes shining with wonder. "Do you think life's fair?"

She looked at him directly in the eyes, and she remembered moving her hand so it rested on his. "Yes, I do."

He stared at their hands for a moment, not saying anything. He then turned to her, and they were so close, and for a moment his eyes melted, the coldness gone, to be replaced with beauty and warmth. She even thought they were going to kiss.

Then he turned away, his eyes firmly on the desk, and moved his hand away, his coldness covering his entire body like frost. Barely visible, but still existing.

"I don't," he said, and that was the end of their conversation.

~

You and your brother made my life terrifying. Who could have guessed? The small, quiet Sora that never left the library?

Who knew you could be so bitter?

Secrets. Everyone has a secret. Sometimes they're obvious. Sometimes they are not.

Umber and I were becoming friends. Actually, he was becoming friends with Qibli, and Moon was being friends with me. I know it sounds stupid, lie a kindergarten play thing, but it was.

Your brother stuck to Qibli like a magnet. And you were left alone.

You, it turns out, should never be left alone.

You hated my sister. Why? Who knows? I'm sure you had personal reasons, dear. Icicle's not exactly the nicest girl in the school. I get it. She bullies. She mocks. I won't be surprised if she stole your dream crush, or bullied you, or did something bad.

But, to kill her for that?

The first time I noticed your plan was when I was in the Art room. I always liked to draw. Just swirls and waves of colors, a smashed together into a breathtaking piece. It gave me relief. Peace. It freed me of my worries.

I was alone. Everyone has gone outside, but I was stuck inside because I was finishing my piece up for a contest I was going to enter it to. That was when you came in.

You don't know this, Sora. Because I hid from you. And I heard every word you breathed in that room. your master plan...

...to murder my sister.

Why did I hide, you ask? I don't know. There was this rumor going around the school that a student was stealing money from teachers. I didn't want to be spotted alone in a room. What if you reported it to the office? I couldn't risk that. So I hid below the desk, bringing because there was dust everywhere.

"It's going to work!" You snarled. I was kind of startled to hear your voice like that. You were usually the quiet-as-a-mouse kid. Black hair and brown eyes, usually in the ground because you hated eye contact. Unnoticeable? Not much. "No, make sure it's all precisely good before you do it. We don't want to mess up, like last time."

Last time?

"We don't want to k-kill anyone else, like Carnelian..."

I had to clamp a hand over my mouth to stifle a gasp. I was afraid. Carnelian? Didn't her house set on fire because of a oven accident?

"Make sure the dagger is ready. Tomorrow? Yeah, sure. Are you sure it's going to go the way it's supposed to? Good. Make sure she's the only one."

I felt my breaths getting faster and more nervous. Who were they talking about?

"Make sure you stay out of Icicle. Be careful, Umber. If she catches you..."

Umber.

So, Sora. I heard everything you said. And when you were gone, I stayed under the desk, thinking until my brain exploded. I couldn't believe that someone was planning murder.

I thought, maybe it's not true. Maybe you're joking. Maybe, just maybe, this was a sick joke you made up. Maybe you were insane. At least, that was what the school believed.

But, no.

Surely, two days later, when Icicle opened the door to our house, a dagger fell on her. No fingerprints, no signs.

But I guess Icicle knew. She knew somebody was trying to kill her. Except she couldn't imagine a small, weak girl from our school would do this kind of thing.

Believe me, Sora, I told her. I told my parents.

Of course they didn't believe me.

They looked at me suspiciously. Icicle said I was the one trying to kill her. I wouldn't do that, but after the Hailstorm incident, who cares about the evidence?

My own parents tried to put me in jail. But there was no evidence. No proof. Because, guess what? I didn't do it.

It was rumored against the entire school. And when I saw you that morning, I saw that guilt was in your eyes. And, I might add, a small triumph.

Guess what? If you are human, or ever were human, I hope you will never be able to live with the guilt. To live with the guilt of someone's death. Knowing it was your fault.

Well, We can't escape the truth.

You killed me.

You destroyed me.

Mourn, Sora Mud. Your end is near, and you can't escape it.

~

PM me ideas of who you think is next! You'll get credit, and here you are people who wanted this. Especially 0DragonLover0 lol

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro