2000 từ 4

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

A Visit To A Temple.

Recently I had the opportunity to visit the snake temple in Penang, Peninsular Malaysia. I was in a group of tourists and we traveled all the way by bus. My first sight of the temple impressed me tremendously. The temple is built on a hill surrounded by clusters of trees.

We climbed up a flight of winding steps to reach the entrance of the temple. It was a tiring exercise to go up the steps. There were a number of stalls along the stairway. The stall holders were selling fruits, jaw sticks, sweet meat and drinks. These things were for the visits to buy and offer to the temple. To my surprise I saw a number of small snakes on the flower pots all over the temple. Strangely they were found harmless to the visitors and we were told that the snakes belonged to the temple.

Two ten-foot idols "welcomed" us at the main entrance of the temple and we gazed in admiration at the beauty of the images. A narrow passage brought us to an open yard where we saw hundreds of tiny tortoises. We later went round the temple and enjoyed the sights. I thought to myself it was a temple worth seeing.

After an hour's rest and refreshment we returned to the bus for our journey to Singapore.

A Visit To A Livestock Farm.

I have always wanted to settle down in the country side, and perhaps have a farm of my own. I have a pleasant memory of my visit to a farm as a child. I remember the large thatched houses surrounded by low leafy fruit trees. The pigsty was situated at the end of the orchard and the noisy chicken coop close to it. I remember the daily vigilance kept on the fence enclosing the pigsty.

Perhaps the proudest of the livestock in the farm were the fowls. In the early hours of the morning when I wanted to sleep a little longer, some of them would perch under my window and crow their loudest. Early morning was the time when farm workers went around the chicken coops to gather eggs. I still remember the stinking smell from the coops.

I wish I could re-live that part of my life. There, lost in a little world of my own, in which these animals of the farm played an important part as good companions.

Deepavali.

Deepavali is a Sanskrit (an ancient Indian language) word meaning the "festival of lights". It is celebrated by all Hindus among the Indians. This festival is to commemorate the destruction of a demon called "Naragasura" by Lord Krishna, the Hindu God. It is a celebration to symbolise peace and prosperity of the people after the death of the demon.

Deepavali is celebrated only for a day. The Hindus offer prayers to Lord Krishna. Houses are decorated and many kinds of sweet meats are prepared in the households. Every member of a Hindu household gets up early in the morning and takes an oil bath before prayer. An elaborate breakfast is served after prayers. The youngsters enjoy the day by firing crackers and visiting cinemas. The elders offer prayers at temple.

In Singapore Deepavali day is declared a public holiday. Since the government has banned fire crackers, it is mot part of the celebration in our country. Nevertheless the celebrations are held in a spectacular way. The shops along the Serangoon Road will be gaily decorated and illuminated with coloured lights. It is indeed a spectacular show for very Singaporean to watch and to participate in the celebration.

The Fruits Of My Country.

In Malaysia and Singapore many of the fruits are seasonal while others are available any time of the year. Durian, rambutan, mangosteen, duku and chikku are seasonal fruits and they are available at different seasons of the year. The fruits that are available all the year round are banana, papaya, watermelon and pomelo.

Of the local fruits durian is the most favourite among the people. It has a hard skin with thorns all over. The fruit is therefore handled carefully to protect fingers. The peculiar nature of the fruit is its smell. It is an offensive odour to foreigners but a lovely smell to the locals. Rambutan has a soft hairy skin and is a juicy fruit. Mangosteen which is also sweet and tasty has a hard skin.

Many tourists who visit Singapore and Malaysia show a keen interest in tasting our fruits. They envy our countries for being so rich in tasty fruits of many variety. All these fruits grown here are tropical fruits because of the hot wet climate.

We should be proud of being able to enjoy all these sweet local fruits.

Our Sports Day.

The annual sports day in my school is full of excitements and fun for us, the children of the school. In the sports events both boys and girls take part with pride.

A group of boys and girls including me were asked to decorate the playground, the school building and the gate. We started work a few days earlier so that the field would be ready for the events in time.

The sports meet started at 10.00 a.m and was opened by our principal Mr Lee. There were many events such as 100 metres run, high jump, long jump and relay race. I took part in 50 metres hurdles and I came out second. Three of my classmates had first and second places in the track events. Another classmate, a girl won a medal for long jump.

At the close of the events there was prize giving ceremony. The prize were given away by a school Inspector. I felt very proud when my name was called out. At first I felt nervous to go up to receive but I managed somehow and received a silver medal. The meet ended with the singing of our national anthem "Majullah Singapura".

Our National Language.

When Malaysia became independent Malay language was chosen as the National Language. The reason for this choice is that it is the language of the Malays who are the natives of Malaysia. In Singapore too it is the national language.

The government of Malaysia takes pride in promoting this language among all the races in Malaysia. The Chinese, the Indians and other non-Malay communities have accepted the decision of the government. It is the official language of the country too.

The object of having a national language is to have a national identity. As free people we must have a common language of our own. A common language creates national consciousness among its citizens and unite all the races, the Malays, the Chinese, the Indians and others into citizens of one nation.

In Malaysia the national language is called the Bahasa Malaysia. It is the medium of instruction in school. Since the introduction of Malay in schools, it has become the most widely used language in Malaysia.

Bahasa Malaysia has, no doubt, brought unity, harmony and peace among all the races in the country.

Helping My Mother.

I really fell obliged in helping my mother, whenever she asks me to do so. We are a middle-class family with parents and only two children. In school when I think of my mother toiling by herself at home, I feel sad.

My father is drawing a small salary and so we cannot afford to have a servant to help in the kitchen and outside.

In the afternoons after returning from school, I help my mother in her washing. Sometimes my mother asks me to go to the shop to buy things; but most of the time I act as a baby-sitter. My brother is a baby of nine months old and when he begins to cry my mother can hardly do her work. So most of the time I look after my younger brother and let her do her work.

I really feel proud that I am helping my mother.

Rubber And Its Uses.

Rubber is said to be the native plant of Brazil, a country in South America. In 1736 a Frenchman had discovered that the tree could produce a spongy substance good for making ball.

Rubber trees were first planted in Singapore about one hundred years ago. It was subsequently planted in Peninsular Malaysia. It became a plantation crop there and today Malaysia earns millions of dollars annually through its export.

Rubber planted by individuals are mostly small holdings, about a few hectares in area. Whereas those owned by big companies are thousands of hectares in area. In a rubber estate the trees are grown in rows. It takes six to seven years for a tree to mature for tapping. The workers extract a while milk like substance called latex from the tree. This is taken to a factory in the estate where it is hardened into rubber sheet. The people who extract the latex from the tree are called tappers. They work and live in the estate itself.

The uses of rubber are countless. It is used, as you know, for making tyres of motor vehicles, aeroplanes and heavy machines like tractors. The other things used in our daily life like sandals, erasers, water hoses and toys are also made of rubber.

Hari Raya Puasa.

The Hari Yara Puasa is a festival celebrated by the Muslims all over the world. It is celebrated after the fasting month of Ramadhan or Ramdzan. Before the festival, the Muslim law says that every Muslim of certain age should fast for 30 days. But this is not compulsory to people such as the sick, and the manual workers.

The fasting of the Muslims is regarded as the greatest penance that a man can do. It really purifies the soul of the one who practises it. The fasting also teaches the virtue, "self-denial".

Early in the morning, the Muslims bathe and dress themselves in new clothes and cap and attend the prayers in mosque. They don't touch any food before they have completed their prayers in which they thank God for His blessings.

In Singapore, and Malaysia, the Hair Rya Pause day is a public holiday and all the races join their Muslim brethren in celebrating the gracious day.

They hold feasts in their homes and invite non-Muslims to join the feast.

Camping.

Do you know how thrilling it is when camping for the first time? When the lorry stops, everyone jumps down and helps to unload the tents, poles ropes and personal belongings. A whistle blows and the eager campers hurry to the camp warden. Almost everyone is allotted to do something.

The kitchen is just behind the sleeping tents. Lunch time arrives and we experience our first camp meal. All of us eat the food, for we are hungry. As we rest after the lunch in the tent, we feel the cool air of the sea blowing over us. The country side around the camp is beautiful. But we are often awaken from the pensive mood by whistles and shouts.

Throughout the duration of the camp, we do not feel homesick, for there is so much to learn and do. When the time of breaking the CAMP comes we indeed feed very sorry to leave the beautiful country side.

I hope I can have my next camping during the June holidays.

A Visit To A Fishing Village.

Along the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia there are many fishing villages. During the last Christmas holidays I had a chance to visit one of the villages. I was with a group of friends and we traveled by bus to Kota Bahru in Kelantan.

The next day we went to a fishing village about thirty kilometres south of Kota Bahru. At the village I saw many men dressed in their traditional clothes and puffing away their home-made cigars. The woman folk with their young ones strapped on their backs moved about casually. I went towards them with the desire to meet and talk to them. The fisherfolk, on seeing us, came forward and greeted us, smiling innocently. I responded to their greeting by wishing them and giving some presents. Later they took my friends and me to the beach.

On the beach we saw a few native boats (sampans) returning with the day's catch. There was cheer on everyone's face as it was the time to rejoice. There were dozens of children either picking shells or building sand castles. We saw the fishermen unloading their catch onto big baskets. It was a noisy affair as they carried the fish away from the beach.

Most of the fisherfolk there were living in "atap" houses with a common courtyard. Though they were not living in modern comfort they were a happy lot as cheerful and contented with the life they had.

How I Spent My Holidays.

Let me tell you how I spent my final school term holidays. Soon after our final examination my uncle who is in Ipoh took me there by train. Ipoh was entirely a new place to me. I spent at least one whole month there with him. During my stay there I met a few boys with whom I visited almost all parts of Ipoh town and the surrounding areas.

My friends took me to a tin-mining dredge in Batu Gajah. We went round the factory-like dredge and observed how tin was mined. The workers explained to us every thing about the dredge. They were indeed very helpful and kind towards us. Everything there seemed to me strange and simply wonderful.

I also visited the famous Cave temples of Ipoh. I was surprised to see how the limestone rocks were carved out to make caves. In one of the caves I saw a lotus pond full of pink and white coloured lotus flowers. They looked really beautiful.

On one occasion my friends took me to a place called, Chemor not very far from Ipoh. There I saw big rubber estates and coconut plantations. I was also shown toddy-tapping. After a month's stay, full of new experiences, I returned home.

The Rail Way Station.

The railway station in Kuala Lumpur gives us an exciting scene of life, activity and bustle. There are many taxis and trishaws outside the entrance of the station waiting to pick passengers. The passengers crowd the platform long before the train arrives. At the window of the booking office, a large number of men form a queue to buy tickets. The luggage clerks are busy arranging the luggage. Long lines of people proceed to different platform where the trains arrive. As soon as the trains arrive the passengers rush forward to board their train and settle down on the seats.

Then comes the departing time. Some parting scenes are very touching. The driver of the engine looks towards the guard for the green signal. The signal shows the time, the guard whistles and waves a green flag. The driver in turn makes the whistle sound and the train starts moving slowly and it gradually gains speed.

The railway station is an interesting place to visit and it is worth watching the scene especially at the time when the train arrive at the station.

The Radio..

The radio is one of the wonders of modern inventions. It is a novel system of sending news like telephone or telegraph but without wires.

Marconi, an Italian scientist invented the radio. In 1896, the first wireless message was sent across Penrith and Weston through an apparatus he invented.

The receiving sets catch the sounds which are then, broadcast. The most powerful a receiving set is, the greater it can catch broadcast sounds from a long distance.

The invention of wireless or the radio is a marvel in this world. One can know everything instantly through a radio set. Programmes from distant countries can be heard promptly. The radio is also a source of cheap amusement and entertainment.

Besides news and messages there ate entertainment programmes like music, dialogues, and educational items for children. Today, practically every home has a radio.

Honesty Is The Best Policy.

The proverb just means it is better to be honest than anything else. We must be honest in our words and deeds. Here is a short story to explain what it means.

One day while cutting wood, a wood cutter's axe slipped from his hand and fell into a nearby river. The wood cutter was full of grief at his loss. He sat down beside the river and lamented bitterly. Mercury, the God of water, heard his lament and took pity on him. He came out of the water and asked the wood cutter the cause of his grief. When the poor wood cutter told the God the story of his bad luck, Mercury at once dived into the bottom of the river. Within a moment the god came up and held before him an axe of gold asking the man if that was his. But the wood cutter refused to take it saying that it was not his axe and that his was an old blunt one made of steel. Mercury dived the second time and held before him an axe of silver. Then again the poor wood cutter refused.

The God was very pleased with the honesty of the poor wood cutter and gave him not only his lost axe but also the gold and silver ones.

A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss.

The proverb just means that we should be steady in our choice and should not be fickle-minded. Some people for example, do not stick to one job but change jobs quite often. As a result they are not employed by any one permanently. Here is a story that illustrates the proverb.

My neighbour, Mr Henry was employed as a shipping clerk in a commercial firm. He resigned from the job saying that it was not a suitable job for him. Then he joined as a clerk in another company. There too, he worked for a few months and gave up the job complaining that the manager was very rude to him.

After leaving these two jobs, he applied for many jobs. He was called for interviews but when the employers came to know that he had resigned his previous jobs without proper reasons, they refused to employ him.

The poor man is still unemployed because nobody wants to employ him.

The Postman.

The postman is an important public servant. He delivers us letters, parcels and money orders at our door-step. He is a familiar figure in light green uniform with a ready smile and a bundle of well-arranged letters for distribution. He does an important job to serve the public. There are both man and woman doing the delivery of letters.

Whether it rains or shines a postman has to carry his bundle of letters and parcels and move from place to place. He starts his work in the morning and fishes it in the late afternoon. Once he is out he has to be on the move and sometimes experiences delay due to wrong address on the letter. The postman rides a bicycle or a scooter and often passes through busy streets while discharging his duty. If the happens to be in a rural area he travels long distances to deliver letters to remote households. He may encounter with barking dogs in villages while doing his work. We should appreciate what he does to serve the people.

A postman is always a good and dedicated public servant because he does his duty diligently and conscientiously.

A Circus Show.

During the Chinese New Year celebration, my cousin and I went to see a circus show. It was held in the Kallang Amusement Park. The show was performed in a huge tent and since it was night, the place was well illuminated by colourful lights. This gave the place the appearance of a wonderland.

The show started at 7.30 p.m and the circus band started playing music. At first the clowns did some funny tricks and made the audience laugh. This was followed by the performances of elephants, tigers, lions and monkeys.

What attracted me most was the dangerous acrobatic act performed by a small girl. She was riding a bicycle on a thin rope above a burning fire. A small error could cause instant death in fire. She put up great confidence and courage and performed the feet.

I was much impressed by the show and returned home quite satisfied.

An Accident I Have Seen.

It was a rainy day when only a few people ventured to walk out in the rain. I was standing at the balcony of my house gazing at the passing traffic.

All of a sudden I heard a loud noise. An on-coming car crashed into the nearby lamp post. It was a taxi carrying a passenger. A big crowd of people gathered within minutes. The driver and the only passenger in the taxi were instantly killed. Within five minutes two radio-patrol cars came and the policemen started clearing the crowd. I heard them shouting at the crowd to move out.

The taxi was badly smashed by the impact of the crash. I watched with horror the policemen extricating the bodies from the car. The dead bodies were laid on the roadside and were covered by cloth. Soon an ambulance arrived and carried away the dead. It took sometime for the policemen to investigate the case and take a report. They sought the help of some onlookers who witnessed the accident.

I could not believe my eyes as it all happened in moments.

My Interesting Subject In School.

The subject I like best in school is geography and the subject I hate is arithmetic. Even from my younger days, I have been longing to know more about other countries and the people who live there.

Geography teachers me not only about my own country but also the neighbouring countries and the world in general. From what I have studied, I have a longing to see London, Paris, New York and Tokyo. I have heard much about Mount Fujiyama, the snow-capped mountain of Japan. I also want to see Japan during the cherry blossom season. I want to see New York and its sky-scrapers.

Geography interests me because without visiting these places I learn about them in books. For pupils like me who are poor and who cannot afford to visit these places, the knowledge of geography is all the more useful. It is perhaps the second best means of knowing more about other countries.

The Story Book I Like Best.

During one of the recent holidays my sister gave me the simplified version of the "Tale of Two Cities" written by Charles Dicken to read. After reading a few pages, I began to feel interested in the story because the whole story was thrilling throughout.

I must admit, that when I read it first, I could not understand some parts of the story and so I read for a second time.

Dr Manette, his daughter and the French peasants still capture my imagination. Of all the characters in the novel, I am full of praise for Sidney Carton. He should be called the hero of the story, because this selfless man volunteered to sacrifice his life for the sake of Lucky Manstte whom he loved once.

I like this story so much that when I get a second chance I will read it again. I also would like to recommend this book to my fellow students. Indeed it is a story which teachers us something about human values.

The Movie I Enjoyed Most.

Many of my friends do not agree with me when I say that the movie I like best is "Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp". They may tell me that this is an old fashioned story, but I am not worried about their judgment.

I like this movie for good reasons. Firstly it is full of magical thrills and secondly it makes us laugh to our breaking point. From the very beginning to the end I enjoyed the magic acts and in between I laughed heartily. In the show there are many scenes of colourful setting and the sudden transformation of Aladdin into an animal or a reptile. It also shows Aladdin and his men flying on a magic carpet. Aladdin often changes forms to dupe his enemies and uses his magic lamp to achieve what he wants. The effect produced by the magic lamp is great and I wish I could possess one like that.

It is better for us to see such movies strictly for entertainment rather than the vulgar musical movies. Parents should be careful in the choice of movies their children watch.

My Friends.

I have many friends both at school and in my neighbourhood. Of more than a dozen friends I have, two of them are my close friends. They are my classmates, William and Ahmad. We are genuine friends.

Both of them are very helpful in my studies. William always happens to be a first-boy in the class and he really takes pains to help me in understanding problems I do not know in class lesson. He also helps me in doing my homework. Besides, he sometimes spends for me in the school canteen. He likes me and I too like him.

Ahmad, is my second best friend. He helps in my study of Bahasa Malaysia. Although he is a Malay boy, we forget about our racial difference when it comes to the study of our class lessons. Sometimes, Ahmad comes to my house and spends a few hours in talking about our school or games. He is an honest boy and I like him very much. He is good at playing football and encourages one to play the game.

Remember the proverb, "A man known by his friends," means we can judge whether a man is good or bad from the friends with whom he mixes.

Beggars.

Beggars are the people who live in poverty. They go about the streets begging for money or food from people. Not all beggars are really in need of help. Some of them are lazy to work and find begging more profitable than working. We should be careful of these people and avoid them totally.

There are a few old and desperate people without a proper home or relatives to support. Such people take to begging on the sidewalks of the road. We often see handicapped or disabled persons begging at bus stops or at markets. These needy people deserve our help. We should also help the blind if we come across them begging.

In Singapore we seldom see beggars roaming along the streets. This is because the government has opened "homes" for the orphans, the disabled, the aged and all such helpless members of the society. There they are well taken care of and are given facilities to do some kind of work.

It is our hope that in future beggars would be no more a nuisance to the society and every human being would have some means to live a good life.

Necessity Is The Mother Of Invention.

This proverb just means that there is nothing like a pressing and urgent need for setting people to work to find a way of meeting it. If we could get all we want from nature we should not bother to invent anything. As we can't, we are forced to find out ways and means to satisfy our needs.

In the early days of mankind, the necessity of communicating with one another led men to the invention of languages. Later, the necessity of keeping some record of what they did or said led to the invention of writing. Later still, the necessity of spreading news and knowledge led to the invention of printing.

These are only a few illustrations to prove that from the very beginning of the human life that man been making inventions and discoveries out of sheer necessity. Hence we recognise "necessity" for the progress of the human race.

Examination Day.

The most exciting day in the life of a student in the day during the final examination for class promotion. He prepares himself well for about a month before the examination and still he has his fears and hopes on the day of the examination. Even a student who neglects his lessons sits up to make his eleventh hour preparation.

A boy who studies hard may feel confident once inside the examination hall for the first paper. Every student is anxious to know whether the question papers would be difficult or not. Except a few who do not take their lessons seriously, most of the children look forward eagerly to the examination day.

Unlike the other days, examination days are usually quiet. Every one seems to browse his notes for the last time before going into the hall. Every minute seems precious before the bell goes as it provides the last chance to check the facts properly. Sometimes the last minute reading may help you to score marks.

It is indeed a day of excitement to every child who takes his or her lessons seriously.

An Autobiography Of A Tiger.

You need not be frightened of me now, when I am behind these bars. But, when I am in my native forest, it is a different matter. Do you think I shall then rest content with the few kilos of meat that are thrown to me morning and evening by the keeper here? I shall have my daily slaughter of stags, though many of them may not be needed for my dinner. But, I must first satisfy my natural thirst for blood, and then I must have my choice of beef or venison as my taste tells me.

The lion is called the King of beasts. Though he may not have the better of me, I am the Royal Bengal Tiger. Men do not know my strength and condemn me for my fierceness.

How I came here, is a short story. One day I found a fine stag hiding in a framework, and unsuspectingly I entered it to carry away my prey. I heard a click and immediately I found myself shut up in an iron cage. I tried to smash the door, but in the attempt, I injured myself. Then I found myself dragged to various places and finally sent out here.

An Autobiography Of A Steamship.

Mythology says that it was Jason that created my first ancestor as a substantial boat to carry at least fifty men across the seas. Then we were made bigger, and big enough to sail in the big oceans. But, all this while, we were at the mercy of the wind, and when Watt invented the steam-engine, and one was put into each of us, we were able to move (sail) on our own accord, without the aid of wind. We were then raised to the rank of steamer and we became proof against wind and could glide in any direction.

I am thus a steamship. My body was in the docks at Liverpool in England. My forefathers were made of wood from oak or teak, but I am made of steel. It was a long and laborious process, from the time my keel was laid in the docks, till I was finished and launched into sea.

I have all the conveniences for long travel bedroom, dining halls, parlours, kitchens and even dancing halls. I accommodate a thousand people at a time. In fact, I am like a small city floating in the open sea.

An Autobiography Of A Crocodile.

I am an amphibian because I can live both on land and in water, just like a frog. I belong to the class called reptiles. The lizard, the tortoise and the snake are my cousins. I love water more than land, for I am stronger in water and I get my food there. My prey consists not only of big fish but also any other creature that my come into the water. I often catch young animal like goat, or birds that come to the edge of water to drink. In water I am stronger than an elephant. If you catch a fish in water with your hand you cannot keep your hold on it, for its body is too slimy and it will slip away. With my teeth curved inwards, my grip is sure, and if they try to wriggle out and slip off, they will only slip into my mouth.

I came out of an egg which was laid by my mother in the sand and hatched by the sun. With my brothers and sisters I used to crawl on the back of my mother and feel on what she gave me or on the little fish I could catch. Over the years I grew enormously big with a thick hard skin. But I am quite ugly.

An Autobiography Of A Parrot.

You consider us, the parrots as beautiful birds; though only second to the peacock. I am indeed a beauty. You admire my red or green curved beak and my green body especially the golden band round my neck. You like to provoke me to talk. I have indeed been taught by my master to speak and sing. But, I can speak only the words which my master teaches me and nothing more. For every question, I will repeat the same words I learnt. So repeat "like a Parrot" has become a household phrase applied to one who repeats without meaning. I am now talking to you, and you will one day sing a song.

I was born in a hole on the side of a tree. Like other birds, I came out of an egg and was fed by my mother till I was able to fly and find my own food for myself. When I left my mother, I was flying about to get my food mainly fruits, nuts and grains. I was caught one day and put in a net and sold to a gentleman. He keeps me in a cosy nest.

An Autobiography Of A Coconut Tree.

I am a tree with a number of useful parts. My fruit of course is man's food, if ripe. If it is tender it is a delicious drink for him. My leaves when plaited form the thatch for his house. Even the outer fiber of my nut is used for making rope. Man makes it into brushes too. He uses the leaves and stems as fire-wood. Because of these valuable uses man rears me in his garden. I am nursed with special care so that man can make the best use of all my parts. The yield from me lasts for years.

There is one thing that debases me. Some cursed men make toddy out of my juice and get themselves intoxicated. The government derives a revenue from tappers. If my juice is made into sugar I shall have no quarrel with man. I feel proud being a sugar producer, although my sugar is inferior to cane sugar.

I grew out of a fully ripe and dry coconut planted in wet alluvial sand. When I grew sufficiently high I was put in a pit that was already prepared for me. I grew up so tall but man was too eager to start using my parts for his comfort.

I grow luxuriantly in sandy places near the sea. I am a native of tropical countries because I need enough heat and rain for my healthy growth.

The English Dictionary.

The first known English dictionary was published in the middle of the eighteenth century, that is roughly three hundred years ago. It was Dr Samuel Johnson who compiled the first English dictionary. He was thoroughly qualified for it, and when we remember that he produced it all alone, we must say it was a wonderful achievement. Since then many great scholars have worked to produce dictionary. Among them were Walker, Webster, Chambers and Ogilvie. The standard English dictionary of today is the Oxford Dictionary.

A dictionary is of so much value that everyone has a copy at home. Every student should have a dictionary suited to his standard and must make use of it regularly. In our reading, we may come across scores of words whose meanings, we might not know. It is then the student uses his dictionary to know the precise meaning of a word. So dictionary solves our problems of difficult words.

Milk.

Milk is one of the most important foodstuffs in our daily diet. It is a nourishing food for children as well as for adults. We drink directly as fresh milk or it is added to tea, coffee or any beverages.

For infants milk is a wholesome food. It contains all the vitamins and minerals necessary for a healthy growth of our body. Since children take milk as a valuable food item in their daily life, a cow is considered as a foster mother to them.

Milk should be kept in clean containers and properly boiled before use. It should never be over-boiled so as to form cream. This is because cream cannot be digested by children. Milk is also obtained from other animals such as goat, buffalo and camel. However, cow's milk is most widely used all over the world. In a country like Singapore milk is consumed mainly in pasteurized form in plastic and paper containers.

Since milk contains all the necessary food materials for human body one can live entirely on milk and fruit for any number of years. It is better and cheaper substitute for costly dishes we prepare everyday. Of course this is not practical in our daily life as we are accustomed to our traditional food for living.

My Pet.

Pets are domesticated animals or birds we keep for pleasure. Of all the pets, I like dog. In my house we have two dogs. One is an Alsatian dog and the other and the bulldog. The Alsatian was bought locally by mother and the bulldog was presented to us by a European family. We call the Alsatian "Jimmie" and the bulldog "Johnnie". The dogs respond well whenever I call them by their names.

The Alsatian is kept mainly for watching our house especially at night. It will start barking even at the slightest noise heard anywhere around our house.

My favourite is the bulldog "Johnnie". It is a funny looking English breed and very race in this part of the world. I feed him with bones, meat and dog-biscuits. I bathe him everyday to keep its body clean. It follows me whenever I go even to a place where I do not want him to come. It knows the time when I usually return from school and will wait at the gate to welcome me home. Johnnie is a loving pet, more faithful than Jimmie.

An Interesting Football Match.

Last month our class-teacher Mr Chiang took us to see the football match played at the National Stadium. All the boys and girls of our class went to watch the game. We paid the concessional rate of one dollar at the gate and I must say the match was worth the money we paid.

The match was between Singapore and a visiting Brazilian team. From the beginning to the end the match was thrilling and I had an opportunity to see a first class football match.

Though the Singapore players tried their best, they could not score a single goal. The match was a one-sided game, for the Brazilians were far superior to the local team in passing the ball and scoring goals. The Brazilians are reputed to be one of the best footballers in the world.

What captivated me most was their "team-work" and shooting the ball. I was also much impressed by the brave fight put up by the local players.

A River Bath I Had.

Sometime ago, when I was in Thailand, a friend took me to have a bath in the river Chao Phraya. Chao Phrayais the longest river in Thailand and I had been longing to have a bath in it for sometime and that happened during my stay in the country.

From Bangkok we traveled about eight kilometres up the river near the suburban town of Songgol. This was an ideal place for bath. Hundreds of boats were always to be seen in the river along with a number of floating logs. So we had to be careful. The very sight of the river was a wonder to me, for I had never seen such a big river before.

The river water was rather warm because it was about mid-day. I was afraid to go beyond the shallow basin as I could not swim. My friend who could swim well, swam for some distance into the river. What interested me most was the innumerable shoals of fish, both big and small surrounding me all the time. We bathed for an hour and returned home.

My First Visit To A Foreign Country.

My grandfather who owns a chain of factories in Sumatra, Indonesia, took me along with him one day to that country. We traveled by a Garuda Airways plane and after nearly an hour's interesting flight, we reached Medan in Sumatra.

Everything there looked strange to me and I could not even understand the language spoken by the people there. As soon as we came out of the customs, we were brisked away in a car driven by my uncle.

Next day my cousins, at my request, took me around the town of Medan. In Medan things were very expensive and for a trishaw ride, we had to pay about five hundred Indonesian rupiahs.

Another strange experience I had in Medan was that while my cousins and I were walking along a street leading to a mosque, we found rows of beggars. Everyone was stretching his or her hand for alms.

The town of Medan has some interesting places to visit such as the museum, the parks and the beach.

Although expensive for a visitor, I would like to go there again if I get a second chance.

My Visit To A Rubber Estate.

During my recent visit to Johor, I had the opportunity to visit a big rubber estate near Batu Pahat. It is a large estate of about three thousand hectares situated at the Ayer Hitam-Batu Pahat main road.

It was my first visit to a rubber estate and everything there pleased me much. The symmetrical rows of rubber trees looked like the pillars in a big cathedral. Here and there I could hear the rustling of drives and worst of all I saw a black snake crawling amidst the leaves.

I had also the chance to see the tappers busy collecting their latex from the cups, for was past eleven o'clock in the late morning. They carried the latex to a shed where it was measured and their wages were paid accordingly.

Then I visited the factory where the latex was poured into a big tank for treatment. In the tank I saw large sheets of rubber, light brown in colour. It is the latex which turns into rubber sheets in the tank. All these were indeed a new experience to a city dweller like me.

A Visit To A Lighthouse.

During the Christmas holidays I was in the group of over fifty children who visited the famous Raffles Lighthouse off the south coast of Singapore.

We boarded a launch at the World Trade Centre and enjoyed nearly two hours of exciting journey before we reached our destination. As our launch approached the tiny rocky island we had a glimpse of the majestic tower before us. The sight of the story of Robinson Crusoe, the famous crusader. The lighthouse tower rose into the sky for about thirty metres above us.

It was painted while and the top was shaped like a dome. Right at the top of the lighthouse was a huge lamp of brass with an immensely large bulb in it. This lamp goes round in a circle and this is the light that mariners see at night warning them of rocks below.

We stayed at the top of the lighthouse for nearly fifteen minutes before we made our way down. We looked at the magnificent scenes around; we marveled at the view of the see front of Singapore city at far distance. We were so fascinated with everything we saw from the tower.

Around four in the late afternoon we returned.

Make Hay While The Sun Shines.

This is a very wise saying. It means that we must make the best use of the opportunity that comes to us and if we lost it, we would regret later. We may seldom have a second chance.

To illustrate this saying, I shall tell you about an event from my own family. My grandfather had struck a big prize in a lottery and in spite of the repeated advice given by my relatives to invest the money wisely. He began to squander the money in useless enterprises. As a result of this in a few years, he lost all the money he had and was in trouble.

Had he taken the advice of his relatives and invested the money wisely he would not have felt sorry. Now, he is suffering, because he did not "Make hay while the sun shining". As school boys we should not miss opportunity provided by our parents to study and progress. If we do not study now, we shall regret later in life.

My School Fun Fair.

Last year when I was in primary six our school had a fun fair to raise funds for building an assembly hall. Months before the fun fair day, five to ten dollars worth of coupons were given to each student. The students had to shell these coupons. A few fortunate ones like me sold the coupons in church compounds and streets. A few others had to pay from their own pockets while some had to return a few coupons back.

The day before the fun fair we decorated the school premises and put up stalls for games and for selling foods and drinks.

The sun fair was declared open by a Member of Parliament for Kallang constituency amidst the applause of guests and cracker firing. From early morning students started coming in and the compound was crowded. It was interesting to watch the various games in progress. I was assisting a food stall and had a good collection of coupons. It was a day full of excitement and thrill. We enjoyed the fun and revelry of the day.

Fresh Air.

All living creatures need air to live in this world. If there is no air in the atmosphere we are sure to die. The air we breathe in contains oxygen. It is very important for our life. What we breathe out is carbon dioxide. If this is not get rid off it acts as a poison in our system. The air we breathe in must be pure. This is why we need to have proper ventilation in our homes, school and offices.

People who live in a countryside are healthier. This is due to the fresh air they breathe. On the other hand the people who live in towns and cities do not have fresh air. This is because of the vehicles on the roads and the factories in a city. These motor traffic and the factories can pollute the air with the smoke they emit.

The importance of fresh air to human life is much more greater than anything else. Needless to say that those who live in countryside are free from sickness or they are less affected by contagious diseases than those living in a city.

In Singapore, although the majority of our people are living in new towns, the well-ventilated flats and the greenery around the flats help them to have fresh air for a healthy living.

The Care Of Teeth.

The main function of our teeth is to crush the hard foodstuff we eat and to make it digestible. If the food is not properly digested we will suffer from stomach upset. In order to bring about a thorough digestion of our food, the teeth play an important role.

We should therefore take good care of our teeth. They should not be put to too hard work, that is, crushing hard substances. Too much pressure on teeth may injure the roots of them. Similarly eating too much sweets, ice-cream and steaming foods may spoil our teeth. It is easy for the teeth of children to get decayed if they do not care them in the early stages of growth.

We should use good tooth pastes for cleaning our teeth. The teeth have to be thoroughly cleaned every day. It is preferable to have our teeth brushed after every meal. When sleeping at night no particles of food should be left in the teeth or else they may be the cause of eventual tooth decay. Tooth ache is also the result of bad maintenance of teeth.

In school the young children are taught the value of healthy teeth. They are taught the reasons why some children lose their original teeth and fix artificial teeth in their place.

If we value our teeth we have to do our best to keep them healthy throughout our life.

An Interesting Excursion.

During the last Christmas holidays, a group of my classmates decided to have an excursion to Johore Bahru. I was elected as the leader and so the burden of making arrangement for the trip fell on my shoulders.

We left early in the morning by the first Singapore-Johore express bus and reached the customs check-point half-an-hour later. From the customs we went by a chartered van to the Johore Bahru sea-side. As it was a clear sunny day we had decided to have a dip in the water. For nearly an hour we enjoyed the bath much to our satisfaction.

By the time our sea-bath was over, it was about 9.00 a.m and we had an appetising breakfast, with sandwiches, cakes and coffee which we carried along with us. Then we relaxed under a shady tree for a while. Later we visited the zoo. We had some fun there with the monkeys in cages. Then we went round the town for sight-seeing. By the time our sight-seeing was over, it was about 1.00 p.m. We had a sumptuous lunch of chicken rice and returned home by bus.

Christmas Shopping With Mother.

Shopping with my mother had been quite a fun for me. Though days before Christmas mother had done all the shopping, a few important items had to be bought just on the Christmas eve.

My mother and I left home in the morning. First we visited the supermarket at Plaza Singapore in Orchard Road, where we bought frozen meat. Then we visited a famous Singapore confectionery. There we bought cakes, puddings and ice-creams. While shopping my mother took me to a snack bar for a light refreshment.

However, the final shopping was done in the midday at one of the leading departmental stores. Though we had already a Christmas tree at home, I was enchanted by another one I saw in the store and insisted that my mother should buy that also. She bought it and we returned home.

It was indeed a very fascinating experience. I cannot easily forget such an important occasion.

Library And Its Advantages.

Libraries are very popular in the modern world. In a sense it is a blessing to have a good library for the benefit of the general public especially the poor. Books, even in this age of cheap literature, cost money and there are many poor people who cannot afford the prices of many valuable books. They want to read and satisfy their crave for knowledge but they do not have the means to own the books. It is for such people that libraries are more useful.

There is no doubt that libraries serve the public with the books of great educational value. Since a public or national library stocks a wide range of books in all subjects, the people take the opportunity to read the books they like. Story books or novels are the most popular books they borrow from the library. By registering as a member, one takes the advantage of reading any book of one's taste. In this way libraries encourage the habit of reading among the masses.

The National Library in Singapore caters for the people of all age groups with a large stock of books. Separate facilities are provided for the children and the adults to make use of the books and other reading materials.

Reading is not only a pleasure but also it broadens one's mind and enriches one's knowledge.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro