11/29/22

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

It seems like Snow White hung out with a lot of Dwarfs, but she had nothing on Bilbo Baggins, who went on his adventure with and astonishing thirteen dwarvish companions!  That's nearly twice as many as Snow White.  Although interestingly enough there's a spelling difference.  In Snow White, they're "dwarfs" while in the Hobbit they're "dwarves."  Are they actually different creatures or are both spellings acceptable?

Well, since I like learning stuff, I've come to find that both are acceptable, although it was actually Tolkien who popularized the usage of "dwarves."  It has since become more appropriate to use "dwarves" in fantasy settings and "dwarfs" when referring to real life little people, although that particular term seems to have largely fallen out of favor in real life, so perhaps it isn't so appropriate after all.

Another interesting thing I just confirmed... the classic Disney movie about Snow White was released the same year the Hobbit was first published.  I had an inkling they came out around the same time, but they were unleased on the world within three months of each other in 1937.  Given how long it takes to write a book and animate a movie, it doesn't seem likely either one influenced the other.  Dwarf energy must have been in the air that year.   Although I suppose the classic fairy tale of Snow White had probably been around for a while.  Tolkien could have been influenced in some form by that.  Maybe he was like, oh yeah?  She's got seven?  Well, then I'm going to make thirteen!  So there!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro