11/3/22

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I've had quite a few different jobs over the years.  For some reason I was remembering being a pharmacy tech while I was trying to fall asleep last night, which wasn't the best idea.  I did that for over five years, but it was not my most favorite job.  I could tell a million stories from that time, but the gist of what made it unpleasant is you got yelled at by people a lot.  Like multiple times every day.  It was usually because their medications weren't ready to pick up, which could happen for a wide variety of reasons including their doctor didn't call it in, their insurance didn't cover it, it was too early to refill, we were out of stock on the medication, or we were so backed up we just didn't have it filled yet.  Virtually none of those things were ever my fault personally, but being the bearer of bad news means you suffer the ire of the recipient.   On top of that people often had to wait in long lines so they were in a bad mood by the time they got to the counter, or even worse, the front of the drive-thru.  I hated that stupid drive-thru, but that's a whole other rant for another time.

You'd think after over five years of getting yelled at every day you'd grow a thick skin, or at least grow numb to it, but I never really did.  Getting yelled at sucks and it would rile me up to a certain extent every time.  Sometimes I'd be worked up by a particularly nasty customer and it was hard to just immediately calm down and be pleasant and friendly to the next person in line.  The worst was when you just finished dealing with one of those and then the next one also wasn't ready.  It got to the point where any time I had to tell someone their stuff wasn't ready I just braced myself for the inevitable outrage.

I mean, on the one hand, I do get it.  It sucks to stand in a long line and then find out you can't get your stuff.  But don't take it out on the poor person behind the counter.  It's almost never their fault.  

The other thing that made it a largely miserable experience is we were constantly understaffed.  As a result it was just like an overwhelming madhouse of things to attend to.  The phones were constantly ringing, the lines at the counter and the drive-thru would be growing long, the people in the drive-thru would keep pushing the call buttons which made all the phones ring, we'd get backed up on filling prescriptions so there would be huge piles waiting to be done, the "ready bins" would be overflowing so it took a while to find the customer's bag and sometimes they'd get put in the wrong spot which made it almost impossible to find.  So you felt constantly frazzled and then on top of that you had to tell grouchy impatient customers they couldn't get their medications.  Oh yeah, and sometimes some mid-level exec from the corporate office would drop by to tell us we needed to do things differently and that we basically needed to work harder and do a better job.  

I don't know why I stayed there so long, but it was good that I finally got out of it.  It was making me kind of constantly angry and also down on humanity and that's never a good thing.  

As I said, it's not a good thing to be dwelling on when trying to go to sleep.  

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro