15| The Fire

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Aunt Ellie's POV

"I just can't believe this . . ." Staci's mother sobbed. "Where could my baby girl have gone?"

"Marie, please calm down honey, we're going to find her." Her husband, Matt, kept trying to comfort her as we pulled up to the house.

Noah got out of the driver's seat and went to the trunk to grab his equipment and tools. I followed him.

"Can I help?"  I offered.

"No."

"Why not?" I folded my arms over my chest.

"Because, you really aren't even supposed to be here. The Detective Crew will be here any minute. And you will be waiting in the car."

"So? I can't help solve the case in my own house? To save my grandson, and his friends, in which their parents have put all their trust in me to take care of—and protect—for the summer?"

His expression softened and he stared at me for a moment, and then rolled his eyes. "Ugh, Ellie, stop doing that."

"Doing what?"

"Talking all sweet and manipulative, to get me to do something for you, just so things will go your way. You remember what happened last time."

A silence broke between us, and memories slowly took over my thoughts.

~~

11 years ago . . .

It was a peaceful evening, the sun shining bright and the birds singing amongst each other.

"I know, I can't wait!" I said to my friend, Donna, over the phone as I laid my dress out neatly on my bed. I glanced at the clock and realized I needed to start getting ready. "Donna, it's six-thirty, I gotta go!" She hung up, and I went into the bathroom.

I brushed my teeth and rinsed my face clean. After applying mascara and blush, I curled the ends of my long, blonde hair.

By the time my dress and heels were on, it was 6:50. I put my phone, sunglasses, and Chapstick into my purse and waited by the front door.

I heard his car pull up, and then his footsteps as he ascended the porch's stairs. A knock followed, and I opened the door.

"Hey, Sweetie!" He gave me a hug and handed me a rose. "You look beautiful."

"Aww, thank you, Noah." I placed it in the nearest vase and walked with him to his car. "You look really nice, yourself."

"Thanks." He smiled.

He drove us to our favorite restaurant, and pulled in.  As we entered, we were immediately greeted by a waiter. "Bonjour, how many will be joining you tonight?"

"Just the two of us," Noah said.  "And we actually have a reservation."

"Ah, let me see, for whom?" The man said, heading behind the register to a computer.

"Noah Reynolds, table for two."

He typed the name in and found it. "Yes sir, right this way." We followed him into a beautifully lit area with white twinkle lights hanging along the walls and ceiling, giving the place a "Christmasy" feel, as it always did.

"Could I start you two off with some drinks?" He asked after seating us at table in the center of the room, just like the rest, with a clean, beige cloth and a candle in the middle.

"Water, please." I said.

"Me too, thank you." Noah agreed.

"Sure."  And he disappeared behind a door into the kitchen.

"So, how was your day today?"  He asked me.

I wanted to tell him how excited I was for this date, but I didn't. "Great.  I woke up in a positive mood when the sun hit my face."

"Really? I would be in a bad mood if I woke up to the sun in my eyes, haha."

"Yeah, I got a good amount of sleep last night though."

"Oh, that's good. Today, I just kind of hung out with Humphry and Lou, you know, the typical Saturday laziness."  He shrugged, smiling.

"Hey, you should totally let me dog-sit them when you go out of town next week!"

"That would be great! My neighbors are really shy, so—"

Suddenly, the fire alarms began to blare, and staff started running in and out of the kitchen.

A woman's voice came over the loud speaker: "Please remain calm.  There is a fire and everyone needs to exit the restaurant in an orderly fashion. I repeat, please remain calm and exit the restaurant in an orderly fashion."

A man stood at the walkway, guiding everyone down the hall, making sure each person was accounted for.

"Let me walk on the right side, Noah." I insisted. "I'll be fine, the fire is in the kitchen."

He hesitated for a moment, then let me go.

I thought it was just a small fire, but as our group walked past the kitchen, the flames roared through the window I just happened to be next to.

"Elliot!" Noah cried, ducking and trying to pull me down.

I felt a burning sensation before everything had faded into darkness.

~~

I thought about how I ignored all of Noah's calls and texts because of a fight we'd gotten in at the hospital . . . Well, that is, after I'd recovered and left a few days later.

I remember driving past the restaurant later that day.

It was gone. Burned down to ashes.

The firemen didn't get there in time.

All the great times I shared with, not just Noah, but my family too. Some of which weren't even here anymore.

All those memories I'd made and would reoccur back to me every time I walked inside.

Gone.

I snapped out of my thoughts after the Detective Crew's car pulled up.

They grabbed their supplies and walked over to us, their boots making a crunch sound on the gravel.

"Are you a witness?" The tallest man asked me.

"Of the event, yes."

"Then you're coming with us." He said.

I glared at Noah and had the sudden urge to walk away all sassy-like and flip my hair at him, but I was far too old for that now.

Stop living in the past, I told myself.

But the thought made me smile, and Noah rolled his eyes and stifled a slight chuckle. He grabbed his equipment and slammed the trunk door shut.

He walked over to the backseat and told Staci's parents the plan. I heard them agree to stay in the car before he closed—and locked—the open door.

"Ready?" The only other female in the group said.

"Ready." We all responded, and headed inside.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro