Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I turn as the smell of metal filled my sense, light bounced off of the soldiers freshly polished armor. My heart skips a beat as I hoped some where deep down that one of the men is my brother but I can tell my just one glance that none of seven guards that stepped off of that cruser was my brother. I could tell by the way they held themselves above the rest of us, Aaron never held himself above anybody else. He was rather a kind person, I could remember the days when I was a youngling and he would try to keep me happy and entertained while he worked the farm.

Our family was never the richest neither was our income in the slums, but we were a rather small family. I never knew my parents but my brother did, every time I brought them up his facial expression would grow dark and his eyes would glaze over. "Go play River." He would say as he turned his back to me and began to work again in the field. All those memories swirled around my head, and I could tell that I was lost in my own world by the loud screech of a frightened beast of which the soldiers had tamed. Riding the magnificent creature through the streets of our village. I blinked my blood turned to ice as I turned my body to face the ink black monster.

Four great beasts from the plains of Yurma, a colonized planet on the west side of the galaxy. Famous for the beasts that they could raise and could sell for a pretty coin, especially to the armies. The monsters were large and coated in grey fur, warm for the colder months of the year. Immediately I couldn't move my limbs, I was frozen in place from terror. The fangs the beast had were long and sharp, able to rip through a body in mere moments. Crushing the bones with ease with the strong jaw it had. Just sinking it's teeth into your body and locking it's jaw could cause you an excruciating and painfully slow death as your blood slowly left your body.

Yeah trust me when I say you would not want to meet these beasts during feeding time, they were rumored to be fed prisoners of war if they weren't valuable. My thoughts left me when my body was suddenly jerked to the side out of the way of the great beasts which plagued the streets at the soldiers command. Falling onto the dirt road I gagged and spitting up the loose particles of dirt which had found their way into my mouth. My eyes wide as I looked around for the person who had moved my frozen body out of the way of the beasts. Only a small crowd gathered around me and helped me up, onto my feet.

"My goodness child are you alright? You gave us quite a scare." A old man said as he helped me to my feet, I knew who he was. Mr. Winchester was a kind man and the village elder, he has lived here long enough to remember when this planet wasn't plagued by the rich. He wrapped a shawl around my shoulders and said warming words to me for my heart to stop racing like it was.

"Thank you Mr. Winchester." I whispered as he led me to a stall where I could sit on a turned over bucket, once I did so people gathered around me. Making sure that I was in good condition, being less than a yard away from the face of a Great Beast. I would answer them all in a shaky breath, but when I would I ask about how I was saved all they would do was shrug. Explaining how they didn't know, I didn't understand. The crowd dispersed as a shimmer from the corner of my eye made me turn my head to face whatever was causing the bright reflection.

Nearly running face to face with a freshly polished silver breast plate made my gaze land on myself. Chestnut brown hair with tints of red in it, green eyes and pale skin as freckles dotted my face. Slowly I raised my eyes to meet the owner of the polished breast plate. A handsome blonde male smiled down at me. "Hello." He said, he had brown eyes which looked warm but not entirely. As if he was hiding something, I gave a respectful nod in acknowledgement for the attractive male. "My name is Leo, Leo Paleen." He said, his voice deep and warm as he spoke rumbling from somewhere deep inside his muscled body.

"My name is River." I said respectfully, trying to keep calm and hope the male would leave me alone. It wasn't safe to talk to a soldier in a war, at least that's what I thought, my gaze moved past his eyes and over his shoulder. Where a shadow stood watching us both, furrowing my brows I scowl and narrow my eyes trying to look closer. Must have seen me watching the shadow 'Leo' looked over his shoulder as well. Just like that it had disappeared. As if it had never been their in the first place.

"Is something wrong?" He had a accent.

"No..." I said cautiously taking a step back.

When indeed, something was very very wrong.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro