36: Things Are About To Change

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Don't underestimate a feline's instincts. If anything out of the ordinary happens to our boss, we notice right away. Perfect for protecting him from punks like you." The lions spoke to Legoshi, guns not moving a centimeter.

"I think you're aware now, Legoshi, that I can never come back. I've been corrupted a long time ago." Louis stood in the middle of the pride.

"They always let their guard down, they think just because our boss is an herbivore that the Shishigumi's gotten soft. That's made work a lot easier. A love of livestock herbivores place their hopes on us."

"The poor kids feel saved that an herbivore is in charge of the vendors who sell them. It's a vicious means, but I must do whatever it takes to enforce my beliefs. However, you can push yourself towards the path of light! Be a hero! And don't give me that 'but I'm not cut out for it' garbage! Improve yourself and become a leader outside of this!"

But before Louis could even bring your name into the conversation, Legoshi's leg kicked out and knocked Ibuki to the ground. In the commotion, he managed to avoid the gunshots of Dolph and grab his hostage: Louis.

"Don't shoot!" Legoshi demanded. "...Wow, you weren't kidding when you said they respect you, Louis."

"...I know you're not going to hurt me. If you want to say something, then say it."

"Okay, then I'll be quick." Legoshi looked backwards at his escape. A decently, but not deadly, steep slope. "I know the culprit behind the murder at the drama club. It's true. Cherryton school needs you to remedy its madness." He began falling backwards, to everyone's surprise. "Well, I'm doing whatever I can to catch the culprit. But at this rate the school's going to forget something really important. They need someone with your strength."

And with that, Legoshi was down and running.

By the time Louis had arrived back to you, it was late and you were sleeping. Unfortunately, that meant he couldn't tell you all the excitement that went down with your running commentary. But he mentally noted to tell it to you over breakfast. You would be happy to know Legoshi was perfectly fine.  More excited to know he had solved Tem's murder. And most excited to know that Louis would be returning to school sooner rather than later.

As he stroked your face and laid in bed, he thought about what the future could have been. If he had really been born with the ability to be your mate. What would your kids look like? Maned wolves with antlers? Deer with long fur?

There had been some research done on interspecies children. It  was frowned upon generally-- something about the kids having the worst instincts of both parents. But he could see how someone would risk it. Then again, he himself was adopted. Why not encourage that instead?

Louis' mind went down a darker path. What if they were to mandate sterilization of interspecies couples? Then the government wouldn't have to worry about it and--

No. That's eugenics. The government shouldn't manage the reproductive freedoms of its people. Louis shook his head. Ideas like this always sound like they'd be easy solutions. But people don't know how slippery of slopes they are. First, interspecies married couples. Then, anyone who dates interspecial. Last, anyone who has any kind of fault in the genetics.

Louis kissed your forehead. That's enough darkness tonight.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro