1. Ceremonies

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Let all cats old enough to swim the barrier gather beneath the Highledge." I pricked my ears at the leaders voice and let out a yawn that echoed around inside me before ending. I got to my gingery brown paws and turned to Hailkit, who was snoring beside me. His chest rose and fell in harmony with his breathing as he rested. The kit lay on his side with his black tail sprayed out in his wake.

"Wake up!" I called into one of his black ears. He let out a sigh but didn't budge. I unsheathed my paw and poked him with it.

"Fine, fine, fine." He growled, lifting his head and pulling his legs underneath him so he sat up straight. I licked back a tuft of fur on his cheek, grinning both at this weird side of him and with excitement. Hailkit gave me a lopsided, tired smile in return; we finally got to lave the cramped, thorny den that was our prison. We headed out of the Nursery, our home for the last six moons. I gazed at the crowd gathered below the Highledge.

Ten cats, a mixture of browns and blacks and gingers and flashing blue eyes. They chatted to one another eagerly while they waited for the meeting to begin. As Hailkit and I stepped through the crowd I spotted my fathers eyes on me. No, on Hailkit. Pride shone in his gaze; he had always liked Hailkit more than me. Shadowpelt jumped over to us, smiling at her kits.

"You haven't even washed!" She cried when she noticed the state of our fur. I gave a nervous and annoyed mew, rolling my eyes. I hoped no one else would notice the mess, but mother was still being a bit too cautious. Mother, a cat with the enough of a heart to house the whole clan. Mother, my patient care-taker. Mother, the cat that would no longer be watching over Hailkit and I and keeping us safe.

"It'll be fine." Hailkit reassured her, licking down a tuft of fur on his chest. Mother seemed to rid of her panic and gave Hailkit a quick lick on the head. Mum had liked me, but she too liked my older brother more. Everyone did.

"May I have your attention?" Greystar spoke, turning all heads to the High Ledge. Hailkit stood tall and proud, but I could feel his pelt shaking. I took a deep breath, letting calm roll over my nervousness. I felt Speckledsnout emerge out of the Nursery behind us and could hear her mew a 'good luck' in Hailkit's ear before padding below the Highledge and sitting beside her mate, Gianttail. I gave a small, quiet snort.

"We have gathered here for the welcoming of two new apprentices." Greystar announced, glancing down at us. I wasn't sure, but I think that I saw him wink. It was probably just a trick of the light, I told myself. Leaders don't wink to kits. Especially not to unpopular ones. The leader opened his muzzle to speak again, I guess I would never know.

"Hailkit, step forward." My brother shook his shaggy fur, stepping proudly forward towards Greystar with his tail high. All heads instantly turned to the grey kit. He was the favorite after all, I thought to myself. Proud, determined, loyal; Hailkit would NEVER loose his popularity. Me? I was annoying, clumsy and quiet. How could you ever choose your favorite between those two? I thought sarcastically.

"Hailkit has reached the age of six moons." I heard Greystar start as my trail of jealous thoughts thinned out. I felt guilt replace it at the thought of being envious of my older brother at our apprentice ceremony. I forced happiness for my brother into my heart instead, watching his ceremony unravel.

"I have thought about your mentor, and decided that who better to teach you..." Greystar paused, letting the suspense build. I wondered who he would choose. Most likely it would be a high ranked, nice warrior.

"-than your own father." Dappledmuzzle's eyes lit up and he grinned at his son. Hailkit gave me a delighted look before padding over and touching his nose to our fathers. I tried to return the smile but it did not reach my eyes. Knew it.

"Jaguarkit, step forward." Greystar said before my jealousy could take over once more. He had curled his tail around his back legs and was gazing down at me with a proud look I didn't get often. I felt my thoughts brighten; I shouldn't let my unpopularity ruin this moment. I got to my paws and walked nervously over to the space under the leader on his ledge. His shadow loomed over the crowd as I walked forward and I noticed the sun had lowered enough to hardly be seen over the camp walls. The sky was spotless however, and I guessed that was another thing to be glad about. No rain for another moon; Newleaf was not yet here. After that, the rainy season, sunny weather would dominate the territory once more.

Every cat's gaze was now on me. I puffed my light hazel furred chest and held my head high. I saw my mother watching me out of the corner of my left eye, Hailkit on the other. Otterrun watched from behind Greystar, his gaze showing emotions I couldn't interpret. Then the moment was over and I was shadowed by the ledge, which stood one tail-length above me. I squinted at the leader through the final flares of sunlight.

"Jaguarkit has reached the age of six moons," Greystar spoke to the silent crowd. Well, at least I had their attention, I didn't look to see their expressions, however. I looked Greystar straight in the eyes as he spoke, waiting in suspense for the name of my mentor. I couldn't help a little worry seep it's way in. What if my mentor hated me? What if they never took me out training? What if Hailpaw became a warrior moons before I ever did?

"And I have wondered about who her trainer will be." I heard whispers around me; 'Is he talking about me?' and 'I hope I don't get her.' I flinched at that but kept my gaze still. The whispers slowly died away, to my relief.

"Jaguarkit, I have decided who your mentor will be. I have confidence that he will teach you well, and you will train hard." Greystar mewed. It was a Tom? Who? Brokentail? Bigears? But it turned out to be neither.

"Otterrun has skill he will most certainly pass on to you." Otterrun? The deputy? I blinked in bewilderment, feeling my jaw drop but shutting it closed. But Greystar was perfectly serious. I padded over to the path up to the leader and deputies seating. Time seemed to freeze, the warrior's expressions below scarring my memory as I turned my head toward them. Disbelief. Anger. Disappointment. I caught Hailkit's gaze and saw him smile. But behind it I saw envy, a reflection of my emotions only a few second before. I forced myself to look away from the faces, staring up ahead at Otterrun and Greystar. The two Siamese brothers watched me with certainty, they had no doubt of me. They believed in me. I felt my back straighten, and I puffed out my chest. I didn't care what anyone else thought. I would make them see I was better than what they ever thought!

Otterrun stepped majestically forward, his tail unraveling and soft paws touching the rock near my feet. I looked up into his eyes and felt his stare flow down into me, seeing past everything I put in place. All my defenses against the cold stares. All my defenses against sadness. I touched my nose to his.

Then the moment was over and Otterrun was sitting back down, looking out into the crowd as if nothing had happened. I sat beside my mentor, glaring at the gaping faces with defiance. Only Doublepelt, Shadowpelt and the elders showed faces of approval. They believed in me too, I realized. I smiled at them. They grinned toothily back. I looked back over at Greystar, who was flicking his tail in either silent anger or annoyance. He didn't like warrior's that underestimated younger cats either.

"There is one more announcement for this evening." He spoke, his voice suddenly quivering. I saw him exchange a glance with Willowtree. He seemed to grow at her approving nod and sat straighter, looking down over his clan with a look of longing and sorrow I didn't understand. Waterclan stared back with confusion, but also with confident loyalty that could never be taken away. Hailpaw caught my gaze and I saw my own curiosity flaring back from his eyes. What other announcement? There was nothing else that was so important to be announced at a clan meeting. Maybe there was a new badger den in the territory. Yes, it was probably something like that, I reassured myself. Badgers were easily chased away, no problem for a clan like ours. So that was why I was unprepared when, instead, I heard this:

"I am resigning from leader of Waterclan."  

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro