17. Following Orders

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Chapter Seventeen:

Following Orders

-------

Harriet eyed Leopold, listening to him speak about the wounded men with the medics. There were less than they had expected, but more than they had hoped. The medics were moving non-stop, and Leopold's tent had become something of a hub of activity. Every medic was reporting on different injuries, or even worse, asking what to do with their dead.

Harriet shuddered. If no one did anything, there would only be more. She had no doubt in her mind that the traitors were planning something. They wouldn't give up so easily. She would have to find a way to stop the traitors without going against Leopold's orders directly. She felt a surge of guilt as a plan began to form in her mind, but nonetheless she kept quiet. If she had to leave the tent or Frederick's tent to stop the traitors from killing everyone, she would simply have to take her guard with her.

Granted, of course, she could have to get said guard to agree with her. The medics had yet to inform her where he was, or even how he was, and so she was waiting rather impatiently. While she certainly wasn't too keen on leaving the camp, she knew Garreth had still been in contact with his fellow spies before the battle. With any luck, he would finally know what they planned to do.

Beginning to grow impatient, Harriet got up from her seat, making Leopold's eyes dart to her moving figure immediately. She shot him a look, but continued towards the divider where she had left her armor. Rounding the corner and stepping behind the divider, she scooped her armor up into her arms, but nearly dropped it at the sound of a startled squeak.

Peering down, she felt a feeling of guilt wash over her as she quickly held out a hand for the little mouse still nestled in his little holster. She held him gently, kicking herself for forgetting him, but Clark seemed more than fine. In fact, he gave a tiny yawn and just curled up into a ball in her hand.

"Sorry, buddy," Harriet whispered, holding him close. The armor could wait, she decided, and she went out into the main part of the tent to sit down while cradling Clark in her hands. She couldn't believe she had forgotten him, but in the aftermath of Leopold finding out her secret she had hardly spared anything but their conversation and the war any thought. Plus, she had known he had been safe as he had been so at the end of the battle.

Sitting in her chair, Harriet was forced to wait for another half an hour, stuck listening to Leopold's quill scratching on paper once the medics left. They didn't say a word to each other, and she was honestly grateful for it. She didn't think she could handle anymore discussions with that man for a little bit. She had quite a lot to wrap her head around already.

Like for instance his weird wording on certain parts. She wasn't wrong in over analyzing it, was she? It had been as if he'd almost said that he- that he loved her. But that didn't make any sense. She hadn't really talked to him as herself for over a year.

Harriet's lips turned down into a frown. It must've just been a slip of the tongue. Maybe the kind of love he was speaking of wasn't romantic. Maybe like a sister. Harriet ignored the twist in her stomach at that thought. She fought the urge to smack herself in the head. She needed to abandon that train of thought.

Trying to focus on anything but the strange relationship between herself and Leopold, Harriet's eyes darted everywhere but on Leopold, settling instead on Clark. Eventually, there was the sound of a clearing of a throat and Harriet jerked her head up from where it was pointing her sight at her hands and the little mouse in them to see a medic standing in the entryway. Beside him was a weary looking Garreth.

"Your highness, you asked me to bring Mr. McIntosh here whenever he felt well enough," the medic stated, sounding unsure of his orders, but Leopold just set down his quill.

"Thank you. Can you please take him and Mr. Greenfellow to the tent next door in a few minutes? I need to speak to them both." The medic nodded, giving a slight bow of his head before leaving the tent. Harriet got up and secured the tent flap behind him. Turning back around, Harriet caught Garreth's eye but proceeded to look away to meet Leopold's eyes.

"Mr. McIntosh, am I correct in assuming you know what Mr. Greenfellow really is?" Leopold asked. Garreth glanced to look at Harriet, but upon seeing her slight nod, he looked back at Leopold.

"Yes, sir, I do." Garreth paused, clearly waiting for a reprimand, but none came. Leopold seemed to be thinking carefully over what to say next and Harriet had to mentally restrain herself to stop from fidgeting. Not that her mental power did anything, she still couldn't stop herself from shifting a little from foot to foot.

"Then I commend you for not ratting her out the first chance you got," Leopold replied, making no move to admonish Garreth. "Would you mind terribly staying back from the celebrations to ensure that she not get in anymore trouble?" Leopold asked, but Garreth seemed even more hesitant.

"With all due respect, sir, but I don't think either of us would provide much of an obstacle if she wanted to get into trouble." Garreth turned to face Harriet. "Plus, doesn't she deserve to go to the celebrations? She is just as much a soldier as any of those men out there, she deserves to be recognized as one. She's covered entirely in bandages, no one would know she was a woman."

The tent fell into silence while Harriet waited with widened eyes for Leopold to reply. Of all the things she had expected Garreth to say, that had not been one of them. Granted, he was more than a little right. Her lack of obvious conventional female aspects left her with short hair and a flat chest. With her face covered, no one would notice. However, Leopold didn't seem to agree. At least not entirely.

"So you want me to proceed to honor a man who doesn't exist then?" Leopold said, raising an eyebrow. "I'm sure you know the treatment of national heroes. People would expect Harold Greenfellow to return home a hero. If I did that she would never be able to stop the game of acting as a person she is not. Unless of course she would prefer that?"

Harriet swallowed drily as both Garreth's and Leopold's eyes fell on her. She had not expected to be given a choice like this. She could go to the celebrations and be forced to play the part of Harold Greenfellow until everyone forgot the war, which could take years, or she could not go and be able to return to being herself and only herself. She bit her lip. If only there was a way for her to be both.

She was quiet for a few moments more, weighing her choices. Her life, if she chose to be Harold Greenfellow, would change forever. Eventually, being two people would take a toll on her. She would be forced to miss important things in one life or the other. Like how it was possible that she might've missed the birth of Clara's child. Could she live her whole life missing those kind of events? It didn't sound like much of a life.

"I'll stay here," she said, earning herself a surprised look from Leopold and a sympathetic look from Garreth. She should've figured Garreth would understand. After all, the double life of being a spy and a soldier was one he had been living daily for over a month.

"Very well. Then you will stay here. Mr. McIntosh-"

"I'll stay with her," Garreth said, cutting across Leopold. Leopold frowned, but nodded.

"Please call for the medic, Miss Corden," Leopold said, but as he spoke, Garreth's facial expression changed to one of shock and then realization. Harriet grimaced. It looked like Garreth had finally grasped just who Harriet really was.

Harriet hurried to the tent flap, using a hoarse voice to call for the medic, trying to disguise her voice. One of them automatically walked over, thankfully not noticing her strange voice, following her into the tent where Garreth had schooled his expression and Leopold had taken up his quill again.

"Please take Mr. McIntosh and Mr. Greenfellow to the tent next to this one. They will be staying there for the celebrations due to their injuries, just like the other wounded," Leopold commanded, and the medic nodded before leading the way out of the tent. Harriet looked longingly at her armor as she left, but knew she couldn't grab it. She was supposed to be recuperating from terrible burns. She wasn't supposed to need armor.

The medic deposited them at the tent and Garreth and Harriet went in, securing the tent flap behind him. They were both silent, and the Garreth spoke.

"You're kidding, right? You're the sister of Queen Clara?" Harriet blushed and let out a sigh.

"No, I'm not kidding. I'm surprised it took you so long to figure it out." Garreth just shook his head.

"No wonder King Leopold didn't just kick you out once he found out you were a woman."

"What?" Harriet responded, sitting down in one of the chairs.

"You're his best friend's sister-in-law." Harriet nodded absently, but then Garreth spoke again. "You don't plan to stay in here, do you?"

"That actually depends on you. Have you heard anything from the other side?" Garreth nodded, taking a chair across from her.

"They intend to attack tonight at the celebrations. Apparently, the spymaster made it through and will be waiting for us at the castle of Marenta where the celebrations are being held."

"The celebrations? We have to do something!" Harriet said, tapping her fingers on her chin thoughtfully. Everyone in the capitol would be there. All of those women and children, rejoicing in the end of a war that wasn't actually over.

"Yes, but what? We both already agreed to stay in here."

"Well, technically, before you came in Leopold said I only had to stay in the presence of whoever was guarding me," Harriet replied, but Garreth just shook his head. "We could just wait to leave to go to the celebrations until after Leopold and everyone else leaves."

"Yes, but we'd be hours behind."

"Maybe not," Harriet said, pondering her plan carefully before speaking about it aloud. "You remember the dragon?" Garreth gave her a pointed look and Harriet continued. Of course he remember the dragon. "He said that if I ever needed help, he would come to my aid."

"How?"

"Don't worry about that. I got it covered." Garreth was quiet for a moment before slowly nodding. Harriet couldn't blame him for being hesitant. They were talking about summoning a dragon, after all."We'll just have to wait for them all to leave and then head out to the forest. We don't want him to be seen by the people at the camp. Do you know anything else about the plan?"

"Save for the fact they tend to attack during the victory parade; no. Other than that, I don't know anything else. They figured I would be staying behind as I appeared injured at the time of our conversation. They only promised to come get me once it was over and they had won."

They both fell silent at the implication of his words. They may have won the battle, but despite what everyone else in the camp thought, they had not yet won the war. No more was said on the subject as they listened to the sounds of the other men leaving for the celebrations.

Everyone sounded more joyful than she had heard them in months, but Harriet dreaded the outcome of the enemy's attack. No one would be expecting it. She would be surprised if any of the men even had time to react before the enemy spies were upon them. Most of them would be expecting a celebration, not a battle.

They might not even bring their swords. She thanked her lucky stars that Leopold was paranoid. He'd certainly be bringing his sword.

Harriet put Clark on her shoulder as he stirred awake, paying attention only to the sounds outside the tent. At last, it seemed that the camp had fallen into a stony silence; a silence only broken by the occasional muttering of voices.

"Are you ready?" Harriet asked Garreth, her voice quiet even to her own ears. He nodded and they both moved towards the entrance of the tent. As they pulled back the tent flap, Harriet was surprised to see no one in sight, not even a single soldier standing guard by Leopold's tent.

Harriet jerked her head towards Leopold's tent, motioning for them to go that way. Garreth frowned at her but followed anyway, looking incredibly nervous as she snuck into the king's tent and came back out carrying her sword which she strapped to her waist.

She could see Garreth getting impatient, but soon enough they were sneaking away from the camp, creeping towards the forest and praying that none of the leftover guards would notice two people moving away from the camp.

By the time they reached the trees, Harriet had already begun to unwind the bandages from her face. She caught Garreth's eye in the dim light provided by the moon, him throwing her a questioning look.

"I need to make sure the dragon actually recognizes me," she said by way of explanation. She certainly didn't want to end up getting fried because Xenon didn't recognize her.

Together they trudged through the forest, both cautious and skittish at the smallest sounds. Harriet's tired mind was playing tricks on her, even in the quiet forest. Every whisper of wind around the trees was a whisper of spies, every snap of branches from animals was snapped under the feet of imaginary enemy soldiers.

They had been walking for what seemed like ages, when finally, they reached a small clearing and Harriet allowed herself to breath a sigh of relief. They had made it all the way from the camp. Now for the next part of her plan.

She slowly moved to the center of the clearing, pondering what to say. The dragon had said just to call his name. Should she shout it? Harriet shook her head. She didn't want to press her luck. She didn't want to alert anyone who might be in the forest to the fact a dragon was going to be in the clearing.

Out of the corner of her eye she glimpsed Garreth eyeing her strangely, but she ignored him. Instead she looked up at the inky black sky dotted with stars, and mustered the courage to speak.

"Xenon, I need your help!" She called, her voice loud but below a shout. For a moment she heard nothing but the night noises of the forest, but then as both she and Garreth stayed quiet, barely daring to breathe, from far away Harriet heard the sound of flapping wings.

A shape moved across the light of the moon, and Harriet moved backwards almost tripping on a fallen tree branch when the dragon swooped down and landed, his wings causing a gust of air to rattle the autumn leaves that still remained on the trees.

In the few hours since the battle, the memory of the dragon had already begun to fade slightly, but standing staring up at Xenon as he peered down at her with luminescent yellow eyes that glittered in the moonlight, Harriet remembered exactly why she had been so afraid of him at first.

"You called?" The dragon drawled, his words echoing around her head as she gaped up at him.

"I need your help," Harriet replied after a beat, and Xenon did what must've been the equivalent of a raised eyebrow for a dragon.

"It's been less than eight hours since the battle, surely you did not get into trouble so quickly?" Harriet didn't warrant that with an answer, and Xenon let out a snort of hot steam through his nostrils. "I'll take your reluctance to answer as a yes."

Xenon lowered his head to peer closer at her before flicking his eyes over to Garreth who hadn't dared to move since the dragon had landed. Harriet watched as Xenon opened his mouth slightly, exposing razor sharp teeth, and she heard Garreth intake a startled breath. It wouldn't surprise Harriet if Garreth's knees were knocking together. She couldn't help but wonder why. After all, he had been there when they freed Xenon.

"Only you have been able to hear me so far," Xenon supplied, catching her curious look at her companion.

"Why? And why do you sound so different?" The dragon gave another snort, but this time Harriet had the distinct feeling it was from trying to contain laughter. She didn't understand why. When she had met him on the battlefield he had sounded wise, now he sounded a lot different... more... the only description she could think of was a mix of sardonic and playful.

"What? I was trying to be the mysterious dragon that you humans think we dragons are. Gotta live up to your expectations. I already had the fire-breathing down pat, I just needed the ancient persona. As for the only you hearing me part- I have been chained to that witch for seven long years. Old habits of terrifying the soldiers die hard."

"You don't sound too disappointed about it," Harriet quipped, crossing her arms over her chest at the sound of the smug voice of Xenon.

"That's because I'm not. Now, what do you want?"

"We need help getting into the castle of Marenta, warning the King, and decapitating the enemy."

"You want to face the enemy army inured and alone," Xenon's voice was incredulous inside her head, as he eyed her shoulder which she was holding carefully. Harriet could feel her doubt growing. Was she right to ask him for help?

"I won't be alone. I'll have Garreth, whoever else brought their swords, and-" Harriet paused. "And Clark." She motioned to the mouse on her shoulder.

"Either that is supposed to be one lucky mouse or you're asking for a miracle," Xenon stated blatantly, causing Harriet to scowl up at him.

"Well, it's either that or let the enemy attack the capital without warning everyone first."

"So let me get this straight. You want me to what? Swoop into a crowded town full of thousands of people and drop you off like some sort of coachman?" Harriet nodded hesitantly and Xenon thumped his tail on the ground, causing Garreth to jump. "I'm a dragon, I don't let anybody use me as a mule."

"But you said you'd help me if I called you!" Harriet countered. Xenon was silent, looking up to the starry sky as if asking for a miracle himself, before looking back down at her.

"Fine. But I'm not waiting to pick you up after. I drop you off and that's it."

"Thank you, Xenon," Harriet said, turning around to motion Garreth forwards.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Garreth muttered once he got close enough to stand next to her.

"Of course it's not. You're going to bring a giant dragon to the main capital of a country just out of a war and-"

"Oh hush, Xenon," Harriet pleaded, earning herself a strange look from Garreth. She had forgotten he couldn't hear any of the conversation. She tried not to think about how strange that must've all looked. If he didn't think she was crazy before, he certainly did now.

"So I just get on it?"

"It! It! I am not an it! I am a dragon of the great and powerful northern province! I have seen countries fall and millennia pass by! I am intimidating-"

"Stop it!" Harriet cried, bring her hand up to her head as she tried to talk over Xenon. "We get it. You're our worst nightmare. Yes, you get on him," she said, urging Garreth to get on first.

Garreth shuffled forwards uncertainly, gasping as Xenon's tail whacked him across his behind when he hadn't moved for several seconds. Harriet felt like pulling her hair out as Xenon grabbed hold of Garreth's ankle with his tail, dangling the man upside down in front of his mouth.

"It's going to eat me!"

"That's it! He's barbecue!"

"Harriet, do something!" Garreth shouted as steam began to come out of Xenon's mouth. Harriet rushed forwards, but was stopped when Xenon put up a large claw, stopping her in her tracks.

"Hold still, I don't like my meat well done and you'll just get in the way."

"No! Both of you, stop it. Just stop it right there!"

Both man and dragon swiveled their heads to look at her. Harriet brought a hand up, pushing on the claw still in front of her.

"We are trying to save the country for goodness sakes! We need to get going now. Xenon put him down!" Harriet commanded, pointing a finger at the dragon before turning to the man still hanging from Xenon's grasp on him. "Garreth, stop calling Xenon it. He doesn't like it."

Xenon put Garreth back on his feet, albeit a little roughly, and the man scrambled onto the dragon's back before they could have a repeat performance. Harriet clambered on as well, all the while wondering if this was how Clara had felt for all those years when trying to get her and Amelia to not prank their step-family. She didn't know how Clara had done it. Clara had clearly made it look easier than it really was. Granted, neither she nor her step-family were soldiers or dragons, but personality wise, it wasn't too different.

Harriet held tightly to the scales in front of her, not bothering to look behind her at Garreth who was situated several feet back when Xenon's wings began to move. From her seat at the base of Xenon's neck, she could feel his muscles begin to surge with power, and with one last glance at the ground, Harriet's eyes widened as Xenon flew into the air and the ground fell away as they took to the sky.

Her knuckles whitened as she tried to secure a better grip on the dragon as he flew across the evening sky. For a moment Harrit allowed herself to look around, to take in everything. The stars were shining brightly, the wind was blowing in her face, and the mountains and terrain below looked miniature from where she sat in the sky. It all felt and looked amazing; like nothing she had ever experienced before!

"I'm going to throw up," Harriet heard behind her, and moments later her amazement was somewhat ruined by the sound of Garreth retching.

"Oh hellfire, I'm going to need to deep clean back there," Harriet heard Xenon mutter in her mind. Harriet ignored him to glance behind her at her slightly green companion.

"Are you alright?"

"I don't think I like flying," Garreth replied, keeping his head down and not looking anywhere but at the dragon's scales.

"Don't worry it will be over soon," Harriet reassured him, hoping that her words were right. Moments later, she searched the ground below before her eyes finally found what she was looking for.

There, situated in the middle of a vast lake almost the size of a small sea, was the castle of Marenta, its towers lit and the long stone bridge leading to it alight and noticeable even from thousands of feet in the air. Harriet clutched tighter to Xenon's scales reflexively. They had found the castle. Now the only issue was warning everyone without getting killed first.

------

So they're off to the castle, dragon and mouse included. What do you think of Xenon? What do you think will happen when they reach the castle? Let me know in the comments.

Sorry for the late update guys! I've been pretty busy lately! I hope I made up for it by writing a 4,000 word chapter. That's a lot for me, guys! Especially with Nanowrimo going on and needing to write for that as well. The next update should be within a week (maybe?).

Anyway, this chapter is dedicated to britainkalai in congratulations for publishing her book, Glass Roses: A Victorian Fairytale! You can get it on amazon by clicking on the external link and I'll post the link in the comments as well. You guys should read it, it's amazing! If you like fairytales and Jane Austen, you will love her story.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro