20. Angry Shane

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Beth is alive.

Hershel stitched up her wrist and he said she will be okay.
Nell is beyond relieved to hear that she is okay, maybe now she can sleep without stressing about her.

Nell walks out of the farmhouse to get some fresh air, wearing the old pair of brown boots that Maggie gave her, which are now covered in mud and dirt.

She spots Beth and Hershel talking under a tree. Nell remembers how Hershel said it would be good for her to get some fresh air.
Smiling at the sight of Beth being okay, Nell starts to walk over to them.

She looks down at her brown boots covered in dirt as she walks past Rick's group.
Nell will forever be grateful that they came to the compound to save her, but since then, it has been nothing but awkward.
They sort of ignore her. To them, she's just another person living at the Greene farm.

Nell has very mixed feelings about Rick's group.
Everyone scares her, especially Shane. And she is pretty sure that Lori hates her guts.
But besides them, the rest seem decent. So far, she likes Daryl the most because he found Snuggles.

Nell finally looks up from the ground and a small boy in a sheriff hat catches her eye.
He's walking towards the shed that Randall is being locked up in.

Shane and Rick returned to the farmhouse last night with Randall. Nell is pretty sure they weren't supposed to come back with him, but they did, and now he's locked up.
It makes absolutely no sense.
Why would they bring him back if he was gonna stay held hostage in a shed?
So many things about Rick's group confuses Nell.

Nell forgets about Beth for a moment and finds herself following Carl to the shed. She would never voluntarily go near Carl, but he is doing something he isn't supposed to do and Nell wants to see what happens.

She quickly looks behind her, making sure no one from Rick's group is watching as she runs towards the shed.
There is a door at the back of the shed, which Carl stupidly left open, so Nell simply follows in his tracks.

"I'm Randall. What's your name?" Says a voice that Nell can't see. Randall is probably speaking to Carl, but to her surprise, Carl doesn't answer him.

Nell climbs up the ladder and sits next to Carl, who has his legs dangling over an edge.
He quickly jerks his head in her direction, his face twisting into a 'what are you doing here?!' kind of look.

Randall turns his head to look at Nell. He has open wounds all over his face with two swollen eyes looking up at her in sadness. To pull it all together, he is also chained to the wall.

"Is this your friend?" Randall asks. His voice is soft, almost sounding sympathetic. "What's her name?" He asks Carl, but Nell responds before he could say anything. She hates when people speak for her.

"Nell." She says.

"Nell." Randall repeats. "I like that name."

Nell doesn't say anything either.

"The sheriff guy— that your dad?" Randall asks, turning his attention back to Carl. "I like him. Yeah, he's a good guy, I can tell." He sounds stressed, like one wrong word can cost him his life.

"Your mom out here too?" He continues after the two kids both stay silent. "You're lucky you still got your family. I lost mine."
Nell suddenly feels the slightest bit of sadness for the boy.
She knows how hard it is to lose your family.

"Hey, I don't know what people have been saying about me, but I didn't do nothing. I swear! Your dad was gonna let me go till' his friend started fightin' with him." Randall says. Something about him is off and it's making Nell uncomfortable.

"My camp, we got lots of supplies." Randall continues, changing the subject. As he says this, Carl climbs down a ladder and stands a few feet in front of Randall.
Nell follows, even though she is scared to be close to such a scary looking guy.

"You two help me, I'll take you and your folks back to my people.
We'll take good care of you. You- you just gotta help me get outta here, okay? Just help me pick these locks or find the key, okay?
Come on, please?" Randall raises his voice and Nell steps back with widened eyes.

"Please?!" He shouts once more, but this time he lunges forward towards Nell and Carl. The chains across his arms keep him from reaching them.

This time, Carl jumps back too as Shane opens the front door to the shed.

Crap.

"What the hell are you two doing in here?" Shane says, stepping in front of Carl and Nell to protect them.

"What did you say to them? What did you say to them, huh?!" Shane shouts and marches towards Randall. He grabs his neck, pressing him against the wall as he presses a gun to his forehead.

"I will shoot you right here, right now." Shane threatens and moves the gun so it rests against Randall's lips.

"Shane, not now!" Andrea shouts, but Shane continues.

"You like talking to me? You like talking?!" Shane yells in Randall's face.

Nell shuts her eyes and turns around. She doesn't want to see this.

"Back off!" Andrea shouts at Shane once again, but this time he actually listens.
Shane releases his grasp on Randall's neck and steps back, turning towards Nell and Carl.

"Get your asses out of this door, let's go." Shane spits and grabs the two of them by the wrist, dragging them out of the shed.

Once they leave the shed, Shane lets go of their arms, giving them a small shove.

"The hell were y'all doing?" Shane says in a serious tone.

Nell freezes up, not knowing what to say that wouldn't make him mad.

"Please don't tell my parents!" Carl whines.

"Carl, that ain't cool, man. You could've gotten hurt in there." Shane says, nodding towards the shed. "And don't think you're in the clear either, young lady." He says to Nell.

Her heart starts to beat faster. The last thing Nell wants is to be punished by Shane.

"We can handle ourselves!" Carl shouts.

"Let me tell you something—" Shane says, getting up close in Nell and Carl's faces.
"The both of you don't go near him again. You hear me?"

It stays silent for a short while before Carl starts speaking again.
"You won't tell my parents, will you?"

"Carl, this ain't about getting in trouble, okay? A guy like that, he'll try to make you feel sorry for him and he'll try to make you get your guard down. You let your guard down out here, people will die.
Now do me a favor, go find your mom. Go on."

Nell looks up at Carl who turns away from Shane and walks away.
She follows him, not wanting to be left alone with an angry Shane.

"And Nell." Shane calls out at her after she starts walking away with Carl. "Quit trying to get yourself killed."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro