27. Get a Second Opinion

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Marsh, we have a lot to talk about."

"...I guess we do."

Out of all the rooms in Purgatory Mansion, there was just one that gave off a bad vibe: Bow's Room.

It had an insanely high ceiling with furniture that was mismatched even for Purgatory Mansion standards. There were toys all over the place, none of which had been used for a very long time. And, being well past ten thirty, it was pitch-dark except for the bit of ambient pink light Bow emitted. It felt like everything echoed in there, just a bit.

If it was Marsh's choice, they'd have just gone to the library.

Marsh sat at one of the wooden chairs at a table, a child's unfinished drawing of a pitchfork and a metal jack-in-the-box in front of her.

Bow floated around as if pacing. "You know what's up, and frankly, I don't believe you. We talked about this two months ago. You could have anyone. You could go for some billionaire, or your favorite actor, or the Starfruit. ...Who in their right mind would pick her?"

Marsh was uncomfy, but forced herself to look calm. Marsh chuckled.

Bow's eyes narrowed at her sarcasm. "Do I even need to explain why you could do so much better than Apple?"

"No, but you could explain why you call her all those other names but never by her actual name. You clearly know it."

Bow groaned. "Marsh, that's not important right now-"

"No, I'd say it's important. It seems like a really rude thing to do on purpose."

"Well, I can't let her think she's important or anything," Bow mumbled, then exclaimed, "I've been making nice with her all this time, and all she's done is try to throw me out. You're my best friend! Why aren't you making her stop or whatever?"

Marsh put her hands up. "I-I'm sure she'll come around eventually. I'll talk with her about it at breakfast in the morning."

Bow's eyes narrowed. "And the fact she isn't trying to be my friend on your word isn't a red flag?"

"Um... It's her choice, Bow. She's not picking fights with you at least." Marsh rubbed her cheek thoughtfully. "As much as I want you two to be friends-"

Bow suddenly flew way too close to her face. "Marsh, how could you date her in the first place? What does she even have that I don't? We're both small, warm-colored objects with weird voices and attention span issues."

"It's hard to explain. She has a soft spot for me, and we've always treated each other a bit differently. At first it was weird to have her cling to me, but now it's like breathing. I guess I've grown fond of it."

"So you like her because she's clingy. Well, so am I. Nothing matters to me more than you!"

"She's the only living thing for miles. There are things that the living relate on, like touch, and eating, and getting sick."

Bow whimpered. "...Wow. Is it literally just the fact I have a tail? Is there literally nothing else she has?" Bow's voice cracked, her entire form drooping.

"No, no! You always make me laugh, and you have pretty good advice most the time. There's stuff you have that she doesn't. I'm just not sure that we have that kind of chemistry, is all-"

"And in case you're wondering, no, I don't want us to have that kind of chemistry," Bow barked, her aura changing a few shades. "We're best friends, and that's it! I'm just worried about you. Can we seriously trust her after all the garbage she put you through? Remember season one?

"All's forgiven. She has no reason to plan anything, and even if she was, she isn't exactly sharp."

"Uh-huh." She spoke slowly, unconvinced. "Can you trust her with your life?"

"...We just started dating. If I trusted her with my life, wouldn't that just be a big red flag?"

"Life is the most precious thing ever. You remember the show! You didn't feel very alive then."

A cold feeling settled over Marsh at the memory. All the aimlessness, pointlessness of those low few years. Just a little taste at not feeling alive.

It made her sick to think of it.

She shook herself. "I'm doing this so I can keep feeling alive. Nothing else happens around here, I can't just read my books all day. You remember how Baseball handled Idiotic Island back in season one, when he had nothing to do but read."

"I don't remember anything about Idiotic Island except the cold metal box you put me in. That was fun."

Marsh flinched as if struck, guilt piercing her heart like a harpoon.

Almost instantly, Bow played it off: "But that's all in the past! I get it, it's fine. I don't agree with your taste, I don't approve, I still think apples are inferior to oranges and lemons and - and kiwis especially. And I still think this is gonna go up in flames, because if the one living thing leaves you, it's bad. But it's whatever."

"...T-that's all I was really asking for, Bow. But thanks."

"Meh, whatever. I'm keeping a close eye on her."

"Don't do that!"

"Fine. But when this goes up in flames, I'll be there for you."

"If this goes up in flames," Marsh corrected her.

Bow fixed her with a stern stare. "...Yeah. If."

Tense silence stretched between them. Finally, despite being quite aware, Marsh faked a convincing yawn. "I'm gonna go get some sleep."

"Another curse of the living you two could relate on? Sweet." Her tone was thick. "Sweet dreams, Marshy."

"...Yeah. Thanks. I'll see you tomorrow."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro