Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Taren loosened his tie with a tired sigh, well aware of how late the night was. Moonlight spilled into the large bedroom from the tall, arched windows, as Eduard, his old butler, bustled about, getting him ready for the night--or what was left of it.

"How was the party, young master?"

"Well enough, considering--"  Images of Kari in her black, fitted uniform flew into his mind and he felt his face heat up, thankful for the dim light.

"I'm glad to hear that, young master." Eduard walked up to his charge to relieve him of his suit jacket.

Shaking his head slightly, Taren glanced at the old manservant. "I'm not a child anymore, Eduard. How many times do I have to tell you this?"

The butler only made a tutting sound, pretended not to hear him, and continued with his ministrations.

Taren was too tired to argue, distracted by the all too-familiar, throbbing headache that seemed to worsen by the hour. Gritting his teeth, he tried to ignore the pounding in his skull and stepped into the shower, letting the hot water course down his lean frame and revive him.

A sharp, stabbing pain behind his eyes made him reel, his hand connecting with the wall to support himself.

"Aaghh!" Gasping, he felt the temperature around him plummet, the running water turning to ice instantly.

'Get ahold of yourself, you fool!'

He fought for control against the onslaught of blinding pain. But the ice crept from the shower to the damp floor, to the mirrors and the light fixtures above.

The lights shattered, plunging the room in total darkness.

After laying out his master's clothes, the old butler turned up the covers of the wide, four-poster bed, muttering to himself. Saying that the young master no longer needed his attention was out of the question. What would Lord Alexander say, or his parents, who had entrusted him into his care?

The sound of shattering glass made him turn, alarmed.

"Young master!" Eduard called out, opening the door to the bath, but stepped back as the extreme cold bit painfully at his exposed skin.

': Stay away! :'

A desperate voice echoed in the butler's mind. In the darkness, all he could see was a pair of smoldering blue flames, before a strong icy wind forced him back out.

Evan strode into the bedroom, still wearing his formal attire. He had dismissed the last of the guests and was preparing to retire for the night, when he felt the rush of uncontrolled power from Taren's room.

"Let me handle this," he told the butler with a mix of exasperation and concern, glancing at Eduard's anxious face.

Bitter cold met him as he entered the adjoining bath, stopping his breath for a second. But the deadly, frigid air gave way before him. Glass shards cracked under his shoes as his eyes quickly adjusted to the darkness.

He found the boy huddled on the shower floor, head buried in his arms. Grabbing one of the large bath towels, he knelt down, laying a hand on Taren's shoulder. The young man's skin was like ice.

"It's me," Evan said softly.

Taren raised his head, his pain-filled eyes burning like azure fire. For a moment he stared at Evan without recognition, lost in his nightmarish memories. Then he let out a shuddering breath as he saw the Guardian before him.

Taking in the damaged room, Taren's eyes still glowed with a feverish light as he rasped, 

"Damn it!--"

"You can say that again," Evan agreed dryly as he draped the towel over the boy.

Kari turned on her bed with a sigh, the light from the single window illuminating the slight frown on her sleeping face. An animal's desperate cry pierced through her clouded dreams and she stirred, rubbing her eyes.

There it is again, that wailing of a young animal in need.

Kari sat up abruptly.

"Ryu?" That sound was unmistakably his!

She hurriedly got up from bed, quickly changing to a thick woven shirt and lined jeans. It was almost spring in the Himalayas, but still bitter cold, the lands surrounding their house still packed with thick snow.

She stared at her hands.... 'What the--!'   These are the hands of a small child!

Glancing quickly at the mirror, she stood open-mouthed at her eight-year-old self.

'There's no time! He's in danger!'

She crossed the small living area to the door, grabbing her parka, gloves and boots.

The chilly wind brushed at her face as she stepped out, shutting the door behind her, the moonlight shining on the snow, giving it an eerie glow.

Running in the direction of the sounds, stumbling occasionally as her small feet negotiated the thick snow, she found herself in the moors. The sparse, leafless trees loomed above her, casting shadows on the icy ground.

Steeling herself, she heard the growl of a large animal twenty paces away, followed by several yelps of pain.

Looking down at the turned earth, she caught her breath.

'Blood....that's blood on the snow...!'

Her heart in her mouth, Kari dropped to the ground. She spotted a pile of dry brush and rock, and crawled as quietly as she could behind it.

Several black splotches littered the ground. To Kari's horror, the smears were of the same size and shape as men!

In the middle of that battleground lay an adult tiger, its coat dazzling white and its stripes glowing silver under the moonlight. Blood pooled from the tiger's flank. Standing above the downed tiger was an enormous black jaguar, its right front paw over a small white thing that was struggling so desperately--the tiger's cub.

'Ryu!' Kari gasped, her hand flying to her mouth before she could stifle the sound.

The jaguar swung in her direction, its malevolent green eyes locked on hers. Kari fell back, her legs scrambling to gain purchase on the slippery ground. Releasing its hold on the cub, the jaguar padded towards her and sprang--!

Kari jolted awake from the clamoring sound of her phone alarm, her heart pounding in her ears.

Turning off the alarm, she heaved a sigh of relief, trying to shake off the frightening visions that were starting to fade from her mind.

What in the world was that?

And why would she have a dream--or nightmare--of Ryu, after all these years?

'I even said goodbye to him...'  She recalled, her thoughts shying away from that parting and remembering the happier days with a faint smile. 'I'm sure he's safe with his family in the Himalayan mountains....'

"School--ugh!" Kari got up from the bed, dragging her feet to the bathroom.

"Absolutely not!" Evan exclaimed angrily as his bleary eyes stared at Taren. He had not had a wink of sleep from last night's events.

"I'm well enough to go to school." Sitting up on the bed, the boy stared defiantly back at his Guardian. Dark circles lined his feverish eyes. "Besides, I can't let her out of my sight!"

"No," Evan said flatly. "You'll stay in this damn room if I have to lock you up, until your powers have stabilized. You haven't even properly shifted--and how many days has it been since?"

"I've told you I tried--I tried last night, and I can't--!" Taren looked away in frustration.

"You can't--or you won't." Evan crossed his arms, his patience wearing thin. He had never met anyone as pigheaded as this kid.

Taren shut his eyes, hands clenched at his side. Evan watched as his form started to blur, only to return as if nothing happened. But the Guardian could clearly feel through their link that the kid had just tried to shift, unsuccessfully--that and the painful, debilitating headache he tried to hide.

The boy opened one bleary eye at him, "Do you see the problem now?"

With a sigh, Evan said, "Look, all this would have been avoided in the first place if you had just listened--and this isn't the first time. What you really need right now is rest. Your body demands it, and given time you'll be able to find your center again."

Taren only shook his head, avoiding his gaze. But after a while, he let out a breath and nodded, reluctantly.

"I'll ensure we have twenty-four seven surveillance on Ms. Kari," Evan reassured him. "At the height of the Golden Week's festivities in the city, I doubt they'd try anything."

"Golden Week?" Taren squinted at him.

"It's a traditional celebration in the country. After today, schools get a break for a few days."

Taren grimaced, his brows knitted in concern. "Why don't I feel relieved to hear that?"

Closing the door to Taren's chambers, Evan saw the old butler waiting anxiously outside. "Stay with him, Eduard. Don't let him out of your sight."

"Yes, Master Collins." Eduard bowed. "I'll make sure the staff is aware as well."

Kari glanced at Taren's empty seat as she entered the classroom for first period. He usually came in early, whereas she was always a hair away from being late.

'Did he have a hangover?'  She mused.

But second period had come and gone and still no sign of the transfer student.

"I heard from one of the teachers that Taren called in sick today," Mark said as the three of them walked down the busy hallway to their next class.

'But he seemed fine last night," Kari thought, frowning with concern. Aloud she said, "Is that so?"

"I'm sure he'll be fine in no time." Rima assured her, sensing her worried tone. Her brows furrowed. "Did something happen? You seem-- a little off."

'Should I tell her I just found out I'm working at his place?' Kari debated, but concern over her friend's reaction to that news made her change her mind. 'No-- now isn't the time.' Instead, she replied, "I'm fine. I just didn't sleep very well last night."

"So...are you still up for shopping with me tomorrow?" Rima asked excitedly. "It's Constitution Memorial day--lots of sale items on our favorite stores!"

"Of course, I wouldn't miss it for the world!" Kari grinned.

"Great! I'll meet you at my bus stop tomorrow at ten!" Rima grinned back. "Will your dad be home for the holidays?"

"Yes, he's coming home this afternoon. I can't wait to see him!" Kari exclaimed. She had already called the Leinier house and spoke with the head groundsman that she wouldn't be in to work today.

"I'm glad you could spend a little more time with your dad." Rima smiled at her friend as they entered the classroom.

"Young master Taren," Beth gave him a slight bow as she entered his room. "I just received news that Miss Kari won't be stopping by today."

"Thank you, Beth." Taren nodded, hiding his disappointment as the head maid bowed, retreating from the room.

Taren cursed softly. The shadow ward that kept Kari hidden from his enemies' eyes would wear off tonight, and he had hoped she would be here today as the ward resets in her presence. Which meant she would be vulnerable tomorrow--

"Would you like to go down to the gardens, young master?" Eduard suggested, interrupting his thoughts. "Some sun and fresh air can do wonders for the most frail of constitutions."

Taren eyed the butler. "Eduard, you really need to get your eighteenth-century speech straightened out--and I'm not frail. But yes--I'd like to see the gardens."

Much to his consternation, he had to hold on to Eduard as he got up, as the room spun before his eyes.

Negotiating this labyrinth of a house was a bit of a problem, Taren realized, if one were to go about it the normal way. In the best of conditions, leaping out from the third floor window of his room was his preferred mode of exit. But in consideration for the old butler, they walked the long, gloomy hallways together, down to the winding staircase to the first floor, and out the front double doors.

He immediately homed in on "Kari's garden", as he called it now, feeling like a starved butterfly. The funny thought brought a smile to his lips. On the few nights after she had left, he would stop by to admire her progress and the flowers she planted. And what a spread of colors they were!--reflecting her shy but vibrant character.

"What do you think, Eduard?" Taren turned to the butler at his side. "Should we give the plants a little boost?"

Eduard eyed him dubiously, still concerned about the boy's condition. "Only a little, young master."

The wind picked up gently over the garden at Taren's quiet command. Gathering moisture from the air, combined with a slight temperature change to encourage condensation, a fluffy cloud materialized, hovering a few feet above the plants. With a slight mental nudge, rain began to fall from the cloud to the garden.

"You know, young master," Eduard said as they watched the cloud do its job.

"Yes?"

"I just realized there is a garden hose not ten feet away." The butler pointed.

"Oh? Is that so?"

The following spring morning came bright and sunny, a perfect day for shopping. Kari gave her dad a hug before heading out the door.

"Be careful out there." Professor Miyazaki waved in his usual absent-minded way.

Kari waved back, smiling. Her dad always worried over her for nothing.

Meeting up with Rima at her bus stop, the streets were already bustling with crowds and activity when she arrived, tourists eagerly waiting for the day's parade to start.

The two girls walked arm in arm to the next street lined on either side with shops, oblivious of the eyes watching their every move.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro