11. Encounter

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

It was early morning. Lena was walking in the school yard alone. She had a school map in hand and was trying to find her way and memorise the location of the different buildings and sports spaces.  Luigi and Lena had come early to school. Luigi had early morning football practice. Lena had not chosen her sports yet. But she wanted to try for the cheerleaders team. But the cheerleaders that morning had no practice scheduled.  So she decided to come to school early with Luigi and use the time to familiarise herself with the school. The place was huge. They had a range of facilities. Their old school was also big but it had different specliasims and facilities. She had been there studying for years so navigating was not a problem there but at this school it was. She did not want to just rely on the other students to show her the way.

As she was walking she came across one of the football training grounds. He stood far in the shadows of trees and watched the team train. They were training hard. She spotted Luigi but saw no sign of Gianluca.

As she was standing there she was startled when she heard a voice "Lena."

She put her hand on her heart and turned around. She saw none other than Gianluca standing there.

Gianluca said with a smile "Hi. It is good to see you here." He then thought to himself "What a sight and what a way to be greeted so early in the morning? I could get used to this."

She said shyly "It is good to see you too." The words felt true to her. Seeing Gianluca wasn't as nerve wracking as before. It felt like some barrier was lifted between them. When she had faced death, Gianluca had become an angel saving her. She was still shy around him and sometimes the thought of being close to him and what he was capable of terrified her. But she trusted him more now. She just did. She trusted him with her life. That was enough to put her at ease to have a basic conversation.

Gianluca said "What are you doing here? Are you lost?"

She shook her head "No. I have a map." She waved the map in her hands. She said "I was just walking around exploring the school to memorise the buildings so I can find the buildings more easily. Yesterday I relied on others to show me the way to help me find my way around. I had to keep asking for directions..."

Gianluca asked "Did anyone object to you asking them for directions? Is that why you are here so early walking around by yourself?"

She said "No. It is not that. I like to be independent."

Gianluca said "Alright. But there is nothing wrong with asking for help if you need it in our school. If anyone refuses to help you, let me know and I will ...have a word with them." He was of course going to do alot more than just having a word with them. But Lena did not need to know that.

Lena said "Thank you... But everyone has been so nice to me so far. I know it is only my second day here but I feel very welcomed by the kids in this new school.  I was worried about meeting new people after leaving my school because I was used to the people and everyone there was friendly with me...But now I can't believe how easy the transition has been. The kids here are nice. In my old school, they played pranks on new kids on their first days and made their first day especially quite difficult. But the kids are so nice here. I can not believe it."

Gianluca thought to himself "Oh, the kids here normally do the same. They are not nice. But when it comes to you, they just value their lives. They know that Luigi Alessandrini and Gianluca Bellagio will skin them alive if they played any pranks on you or made life difficult for you." He smiled "I guess this school has nice kids in it for sure."

Lena said "For sure. Yesterday when I was about leaving the school premises I was almost hit by a basketball. I thought here it is. The kids are going to be hitting me with basketballs on my first day. In my school they did similar stuff to new kids... . But to my surprise no more basketballs was thrown my way. I found out the ball was from the main boys' basketball court. They were training there and the ball had been thrown accidentally. They apologised so much when they came to grab the ball. Apart from that yesterday was a very smooth day... Accidents happen I guess."

Gianluca thought to himself "I am sure the boys' basketball team would have their own fair share of accidents today. I can arrange that." He then said "Accidents happen of course. I think you have nothing to worry about anyone throwing basketballs at you or pranking you. The kids are nice here as you said."

Lena smiled "I know the kids are nice but yesterday until the point I reached the car park and saw your sister I actually thought someone may jump on me and ambush me for being new and initiate me this way into your school."

Gianluca thought to himself "Well, no one would ever dare to jump on you and ambush you. They know that Luigi and I will make sure the culprits won't be jumping for a while and will make sure that getting ambushed will start to have a whole new meaning to them." Gianluca said "Oh Lena. I hope you have another smooth day and even better than yesterday."

Lena said "Thank you. Sorry if I am holding you up. You must be eager to join the football training."

Gianluca said "No. Not at all. You are not holding me up. I came to school earlier today than these guys to do my own training. I thought it was a good idea since this is your brother's first day as my vice captain. I needed to get an honest observation from our coach about how your brother handles the team and how the team respond to him. I went over to the coach just now and asked about how it went in the locker room and the beginning of training. The coach said he is good vice captain. He has respect. That is all that matters. So I was just on my way back when I bumped into you."

Lena just realised that Gianluca had no football uniform on. She asked "Where are you going now?"

Gianluca said " I am just going to go to the cafeteria to get some breakfast. Do you want to join me?"

Lena wasn't sure. She said "I have already had breakfast."

Gianluca said "Then you can come with me to get a drink. Come."

Lena took a deep breath and walked with Gianluca towards the cafeteria. On the way Gianluca referred to her map and showed her some shortcuts that made her walking distance shorter. He gave her some good tips for navigation and how to remember the different building locations in a logical and fun way.  That made her nerves melt away. Gianluca was so helpful to her.

When they entered the cafeteria, Lena wanted to just get an orange juice but Gianluca insisted on her getting a pastry too. It was useless to argue with him. Gianluca ordered a large eggs and sausage sandwich with water. Gianluca did not let her pay of course. He beat her to the counter. She had to try to beat him next time if there was a next time in getting food together at the cafeteria.

They then sat down opposite each other behind a table.

They ate for silence for a few minutes.

Then it was Gianluca who broke the silence. "Can I see your schedule for today? I want to know what classes you have?"

Lena handed him her schedule. "I am in most of Gabriela's lessons."

Gianluca nodded "Good. It is good to have someone familiar in your class." He handed her the schedule. "Do you have any questions about the school that I can help you with?"

Lena thought for a second "Well. Not exactly about the school. It is about the kids here."

Gianluca said "Go on."

Lena sighed "Yesterday I met Ciara MacKenna. She is Gabriela's friend who comes here for a couple of lessons a week and to hang out with her... I was wondering... How is she allowed to come here. Her family are one of the big Irish-American crime families. How is she allowed to hang out with Gabriela here in this school. It is not common for them to have friendships with the Italians normally. Your friendship with Christian and Gabriela's friendship with Ciara is the only examples I have heard when members of different big Italian and Irish crime families are so friendly."

Gianluca said "You are right. It is not common. But it is possible. A friendship like the one I have with Christian is very rare. I agree.  But I think times are changing and in future there will be more peaceful  friendships between Irish and Italian families. Two male heirs normally can't really trust each other when they are from two rival sides. There is risk of betrayal. People can do anything for power... But we trust each other. I have Christian's back and he has mine. Now you asked about Ciara's friendship with  Gabriela.  They are more common. I mean the rules are different for when females hang out with each other."

Lena asked "How different?"

Gianluca said "It is still rare but it is not a big deal when it happens. Females from Italian and Irish families can meet up in public places if accompanied by heavy security and have a cup of tea and cake if the heads of their families allow it. The females normally know nothing about the business side to even share any top secret information that the men in their families work on. So there is little risk of betrayal. The younger females can hang out in school I suppose as long as their safety is guaranteed. Italians are not the ones normally harming the Irish in this region. It is the other way round. The Irish can come to Italian territory if they are peaceful. But the Irish criminals around here hate the Italians criminals and depending on which Irish family we are talking about they may kill, capture or hold for ransom if they catch a member of an Italian crime family trespassing in their territory with no protection and bodyguards. It depends which family it is... Only, if the Irish family is weaker than the Italian family though they will not do anything to the trespassers from that particular Italian family. If you harm a member of an Italian crime family you got to be ready to go to war for it too when the Italian family come after you for revenge."

Lena said "I understand. It is complex."

Gianluca said "Well. These facts I told you is normally true when it comes to Irish-Italian relations in our side of the city. In other sides there are more relations. We are talking about the relations between the Italians and the hostile Irish alliance here. As you know the big Irish families which are the most concentrated in terms of activity in this region are hostile to us. Their rules and their activities over the years has created such atmosphere..."

Lena said "How much are the Italians to blame?"

Gianluca said "Well Italians are not innocent in this. But.... we Italians have made more effort to make peace around here. Well some of us have at least. The Italians on this side have some hostility to the Irish but they are mostly trying their best to keep peace and even open negotiations regarding business relations and even networking. But the Irish are extremely hostile. Our parents are tolerant if we talk to the Irish but they may not like it much I guess. We Italians want to avoid wars with the Irish. But the Irish do not mind declaring war and do not lower their hostility. The Italians at the other regions have managed better relations with the Irish or rather better than what we have here."

Lena said "Do these  Irish crime families around here ever tell off anyone from the Irish crime families who makes friends with the Italian crime families? Do they put pressure on them to cut their ties?"

Gianluca said "It depends if we are talking about males or females. The friendships between females are of insignificance. Neither side would gain or lose anything if their wives or daughters have a cup of tea together under heavy security of course. However, when it comes to males... well.... they will be under pressure and they have to pay for it I am guessing. The Irish do not forgive betrayal. They will see it as a betrayal. The males will be punished if they form alliances or friendships. The heads of the families of the Irish alliance near us do not approve of such relations for now."

Lena said "So Christian has to pay for his friendship with you?"

Lena was surprised when Gianluca laughed. He shook his head once he finished laughing "No. He is an exception Lena. It is no secret that I am friends with him. Every Irish in his circle of allies knows about it. But no one objects to it. Come on Lena. Christian's grandfather is Christopher Kavannagh. No one can tell his grandson what to do or dictate who to hang out with except him of course as his guardian. I know you do not know much about the Irish Italian relations but you must have heard of the reputation of the Kavannaghs. Christopher Kavannagh is feared and respected everywhere. So, if his grandson has chosen to have an odd friendship with an Italian it is nobody's business. Christian can have a friendship with me simply because his grandfather has allowed it."

Lena was thoughtful. She had no idea about such things.

Lena asked "What do you think can end the feud?"

Gianluca said "It has to come from the Irish side. Everyone on the Italian side hopes that the next Kavanagh heir can make the relations better. Well the Kavannaghs are quite a powerful family and have lost two male heirs and the mother of their current heir to the mob war between the Irish and Italian. Imagine if a Kavannagh signs a peace treaty, it will be a huge step. Kavannaghs have so much influence and respect amongst the Irish and given their past and how their family went through tragedy, if they forgive, the other Irish may follow. I am hoping that Christian one day makes peace but I am not very optimistic. I know he is very loyal to his grandfather's beliefs. That I know. Maybe one day he can find it within him to forgive the past and act to make peace. I avoid discussing business with him in anyway and ever asking him about this matter. Christian is quite strong minded. It is so hard to change his mind or influence his way of thinking. He will need to come to the conclusion to make peace himself." Gianluca the stood up "I am going to get another drink. Do you want anything?"

Lena smiled "No thank you."

She was intrigued. She had become curious about peaceful Italian-Irish relations because this kind of relation had saved her life. She was lucky to be alive and she knew it... As Gianluca left, it just occurred to her. She just had a conversation with Gianluca and it felt natural. Maybe when they weren't talking about their relationship or going out or anything like that, it was easier. She was still shy around him. It was not easy looking at his handsome face and look into his penetrating eyes. But she was trying.

As she was waiting, she heard her name being called. She turned. It was Gabriela. She walked to her with a smile. "Hi Lena. How are you? Do you want to join me and my friends over at another table. We are going to talk about the cheer leader practice this afternoon. It is a good opportunity to introduce you to the team. Let's go."

Lena nodded. "Ok. But we need to tell Gianluca. He just went to get a drink. He will be wondering where I went.

Just then Gianluca approached them with his drink.

Gabriela said "Gianluca. I am taking Lena to hang out with the cheerleaders at our usual table in the corner. See you later." She then pulled Lena's hand and walked away.

Gianluca narrowed his eyes. His sister had just disturbed his time with Lena. He did not like that at all. But Gabriela was his sister. If she was anyone else he would have taken revenge on them. Only his sister could get away with doing something like this.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro