21. Girl Talk

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The day was going ok so far for Lena. She was walking to the next workshop of the collapsed day. She wanted to attend the creative writing workshop. She entered the room. It was not busy because most people opted for the more fun workshops. Students were from different mixed age groups because it was a collapsed day. So she saw many students she hadn't seen before. She sat down and opened up her note book.

The lecturer started talking and she was taking notes. Just five minutes into the session, she watched as a girl entered the room. She was very beautiful, tall and there was an air of confidence around her that she immediately liked. Lena was curious who this girl was. She had never seen her before. But these people in class were from different age groups so it made sense to have not seen this girl before if she was in a different grade. She just had a look in her eyes that kind of gave you a feeling. A feeling like you had her full attention if you spoke to her. 

The girl walked to the lecturer who had stopped teaching and was looking at her "Can I help you young lady?"

She asked "I am sorry I am late. I went to the wrong room. Is there space in this session still for me to join?" She spoke very kindly, politely and respectfully.

The lecturer was looking shocked at her question. Couldn't she tell there was hardly anyone in his workshop? He pointed to the class "There is definitely space. Please join in. What is your name? Let me write down your name on the list so I register your presence."

She replied "Eden Carter..."

Lena gasped. So this was Eden. For some reason she still had not managed to see Eden. Lena was fifteen and Eden was sixteen. So they were never in same lessons unless they joined clubs or saw each other at break and lunch. Something had always come up so she had not managed to be introduced to her. She definitely wanted to meet her and most importantly wanted to thank her for the snow globe and the words of wisdom she had sent to her.

The lecturer said "We need to do pair work shortly. Please sit next to this young lady who has no partner."

Lena then noticed the lecturer meant her, when Eden walked to her and gave her a friendly smile and sat down next to her "Hello."

Lena said "Hi..." She was deciding how to introduce herself. She wanted to see how this girl would have reacted if she didnt know she was Luigi's sister. Would she have liked to talk to her? She felt nervous about how her brother's girl was going to react to her. If she was cold to her then Lena was going to try to not be a disturbance to her.

Eden took out her notebook and took out her pen as she whispered "What did I miss?"

Lena pushed her notebook towards her "I made notes.."

Eden said "I love you girl..."

Lena chuckled as she was watching the lecturer trying to set up a projector ready to play some kind of education movie short clip that was relevant to their workshop.

Eden said "You have very nice hand writing."

Lena said "Thank you."

Eden said "Do you like literature. Is that why you chose this workshop?"

Lena said "I just joined in for fun. I like writing. Not as in writing stuff like poems or anything like that. I just like writing things down.... I write diaries every night before bed, I write recipes of things I like making in my spare time like muffins and cookies and yes I guess you could say I love literature because I read alot too." She felt strange. Suddenly she felt at so much at ease with this girl. When Eden asked this question, it sounded like she was so interested in finding out about her. She sounded like the kind of person who wouldn't have made small talk with you just for the sake of being friendly but if she was genuinely interested.

Eden was looking at Lean with what Lena could describe as excitement "Oh my god. I love writing too... It is rare to find people who actually enjoy writing things down... I can't live without my pens and notebooks."

Lena said "Tell me about it. I must own like so many pens I swear. I have different colours and like to highlight my notes when I revise."

Eden said "Are you sure you are not my long lost twin?

Lena laughed "No. I doubt it. We are not twins."

Eden said "Then maybe we are sisters and don't know it yet."

Lena was hit by the irony. So if Luigi managed to marry Eden one day, they were going to be sisters.

The lecturer said "Sorry everyone I have some issues with this projector. It will get fixed in the next 5 minutes. Just bear with me please." He then got on with working with the projector again.

Lena decided to change the subject "I wonder why not many people have joined this session. The description sounded interesting on the leaflet. I think it maybe something to do with that famous football player giving a lecture on sportsmanship at the same time as this session. I bet you most guys are there to get his autograph and his picture that he has promised to give to every attendee and those guys I bet you have no interest in what he is even saying to them in his lecture."

Eden gasped saying "I can't believe it. You must be my long lost twin... There is no other explanation."

Lena shook her head "No."

Eden said "I have a twin who is a boy. And I can tell you, me and you have alot more common in terms of personality. We just do not look alike. Let me test you more... Jane Austen or Charlotte Bronte?"

Lena said "Both."

Eden smiled "I agree. Now... Scariest book you have ever read?"

Lena laughed "I have never read anything scary really... Sorry..."

Eden said "Me too. But I think the scariest idea in a book that I have ever heard of is in Peter Pan for me.... A boy who never grows up..."

Lena Laughed "You are so funny... I know... Guys need to grow up and be mature. It is so hard to find mature guys... But don't forget what is an even scarier about Peter Pan is a boy who never ever grows up but he can ..."

They both said at the same time "Fly..."

They both laughed then.

Eden shook her head "Yep. A boy with superpowers who doesnt grow up... Not a great combination..."

Lena said "I know.... Imagine they get up to so much mischief on the ground. Isn't that enough? Go figure if they will mess around in the sky too..."

Eden smiled "Hm... Now I think there has to be something we don't agree on... What is your favourite car?"

Lena said "I have a pretty good idea what is not my favourite car... What are they called? The ones with retractable roof.. Yeah those ones. I mean come on. Who wants to drive a car with no roof. It does not appeal to me. The rain will soak me in that car and the wind will mess up my hair that I spend ages perfecting in the morning. Some people love the idea you know. To drive a car with no roof in the high way and then the wind hits their face and messes their hair up... If I want the thrill of being blown way by wind, I will go to an amusement park and get on a ride..."

Eden was looking at Lena with her mouth open "Oh my god. How is that possible? I think exactly the same way..."

Lena asked "You do? Well I thought I was the only one. Who buys a car with its roof missing?"

Eden shook her heard "I am just speechless right now... You are my honorary sister. From today."

Lena couldn't believe how much Eden was being nice. Now she wondered if she found out who she was, would it have made a difference. Her thoughts were reversed now. First she thought Eden may only be nice to her for being Luigi's sister. And then now she wondered would she still like her if she funds out she is related to Luigi.

Eden asked her "What is your ideal man you want to marry one day?"

Lena said as she was looking away because now the struggle of the lecturer for fixing the projector was getting real "That's a hard question."

Eden said "Try it. You are so like me and I need to find some differences. It's driving me crazy."

Lena couldn't help chuckle as she saw one of the students walking to the lecturer and offering to fix the projector. She turned to Eden and said "Let me think. I think there is no such thing as an ideal man. Just like there is no such thing as an ideal world. But again men lead the world. Don't they? Do you ever wonder what would happen if more women were in politics around the world. I am not saying they should overtake every post but at least don't you think the world needs more leaders who are women?"

Eden was saying as she was smiling  "I need you in my life. I really do..."

Lena said "I mean your question is a perfect essay question. We could write pages and pages about who an ideal man is for a woman... But I am pretty certain what my mum would say if she wanted to help me with such essay. She would say "Sweetie don't waste your time writing essays. You will surely find out what an ideal man is when you fall in love..."

Eden said with a thoughtful expression "Has she actually ever said that?"

Lena nodded "Yes. The same sentence give or take..."

Eden said with an unreadable expression "That is a very concise and unique advice... It makes me think. She has said it because she is a married woman. That is how she sees romance. I need to think about the deep meaning behind what has she said. I like your mother. She doesn't want to keep your hopes up only to dash it by telling you that your man is perfect. She means that it won't matter because if you fall in love you look past that and would live with a man who is not ideal but you love him. So he becomes your ideal man whether he matched your idea of an ideal man or not. He is your man because you love him. Women who have been in love say we don't choose who we fall in love with... Your mother sounds wise... I wish I could meet her..."

Lena thought of the irony and kept silent as she noticed the student seemed to be having success with fixing the projector as it's lights just were coming on.

Eden said "Can I ask you something?"

Lena said "Yes."

Eden asked "What would your dad say if he was helping with this essay question I wonder. You don't have to answer if you don't want to."

Lena was nervous. Oh boy she had no idea. Her father had countless expectations of what a man was supposed to be like to be ideal. Where could she start. He only thought Gianluca was worthy of her. Full stop. She tried to think of a response that was true but in a way that she didn't give away anything to scare Eden off. She had to pick and choose those ideals. The list was pretty long. She said "Well. The list is long. I can tell you a few on his list.., My father... He would say that an ideal man should ... firstly only love one woman."

Eden said "Loyalty and honour. I could not agree more."

Lena said "He also thinks a man must be willing to sacrifice everything to take care of his family and not hold back."

Eden said "Responsibility and accountability as well as selfless ness. Very important."

Lena said "The list is long... These were a few of his expectations."

Eden said "Your father sounds like a very educated man. He is so forward thinking..."

Lena thought to herself "No. He is just a feared and well known mob boss who no one messes with unless they want to be wiped out of the map of this country. Literally."

Lena said "I don't know about that." She preferred to be as honest as possible.

Eden said "Well. I love the sound of your family based on their views. You have obviously been raised so well. They sound like good parents. I would love for your family to ever come to our home for a cup of tea. I think our parents will get along. Maybe one day. Intriguing idea. Isn't it?"

Lena wanted to say "Not really." She just nodded and smiled at Eden in response.

Lena had no idea how her parents were even going to react to Luigi choosing an American girl. Luigi could choose his girl. Her parents were not ever in agreement with pre-arranged marriages. Her parents had a love marriage themselves and it was a strong marriage. So they had no problem with Luigi marrying anyone he chose. However, marrying a regular American girl had never been done before in her family or any crime families that she knew in her circle till then. Her parents were from two different crime families. Her mother's family were powerful too and lived far away from them. So they didn't see them often but they worked with the Alessandrinis and were always on good terms with them even before the marriage. So Lena's grandfather had no problem with his son choosing her mother to marry. But Lena was not sure if her father was going to approve Eden. It was not possible to predict her father's reaction. But she was hopeful her father was going to allow Luigi to follow his heart.

Just then the education short movie started as they turned off the lights and everyone silently watched. The rest of the session was very intense in terms of the lecturing and note taking. The lecturer was behind his schedule so he fit in as much as he could in the time he had. Miraculously he finished everything by the time the bell rang. Lena and Eden had not had the chance to talk to each other after the screening of the education movie.

Eden stood up "Let's go take a break. Do you want to go outside for a walk?"

Lena nodded "Sure." She did want to tell Eden who she was. So it was maybe the best time to tell her.

Eden and Lena reached outside. Lena was about to speak but then Eden spoke first "You know. I never asked you what your name was. I am sorry. My thoughts were just so occupied when I came in late and was focused on catching up. Then when I talked to you I just totally forgot. What is your name?"

Lena said "My name is Lena..." She was about to say her family name but Eden again spoke first "Wow."

Lena wondered if she now knew she was Luigi's sister.

Eden smiled "You know what? There is a boy who has asked me out and I am still deciding about when is the best time to go out. He is like a friend now. His sisters name is also Lena. I hope his sister Lena doesn't hate me. If she is as half as patient and open as you I think I will be saying I am so glad I joined this school. You made my day. I didn't want to move to new school with a totally different system but now I think meeting people like you is reassuring. It's hard for me to find girls who are willing to listen to me and don't judge and have a civil discussion without stumping their foot and walking away. It always happens with my brothers friends who come home to see him. We just have a discussion. I state my opinion. They call me feminist and walk off and say please Ethan don't meet up at your house let's go elsewhere. They just can't stand views that is different to their own and do not even want to discuss things. You, Gabriela Belaggio and Ciara McKenna are just the most unique girls I have ever met. We should form a group of four at lunch times and meet. Actually let's make it 5. I would love to meet Lena Alessandrini and get to know her. If she is as descent as her brother, she can't be too hard to make friends with I hope."

Lena said "There is something you should know."

Eden said "What is it?"

Lena said "You know... I know Gabriela and have met Ciara... Gabriela had introduced me to her. I know Gabriela because our families are friends and her brother is my boyfriend... I am Luigi's sister. Lena Alessandrini." She waited for Eden to react and maybe give a less friendly reception to her now. But she did the unthinkable, took a step forwards and hugged her. Lena did not expect such friendly gesture.

Eden said "Thank god... I can't believe it." She then let go and took a step as she was smiling "You are such a perfect honorary  sister. We can talk about so much and hang out in school. Luigi has told me abit about you. You are fifteen. Right? A year younger than me and Luigi. I always wanted a younger sister."

Lena was so touched "And I always wanted a big sister."

Eden said "Stop. Seriously. I need to know how we are different. There has to be a difference between what we like and dislike and what we do. Please tell me there is something."

Lena said "Actually I am sure there is plenty. I can think of some differences... You know... Luigi gave me that snow globe you gave him to give me and I really loved it. But I loved more what you said to him to tell me. You know you said how the storm clears up one day and I should remind myself when I look at the snow globe that it won't always be raining or snowing or stormy. Our problems rain down on us like a storm and they clear away. That was the most beautiful advice and most thoughtful gift I have had. I am very grateful to you. You are so kind and wise... So I want to thank you for this. I have never given any advice or gift like this before..."

Eden said "You are welcome. How do you know Lena that the advice and gifts you have given to anyone does not match the satisfaction you got from my gift and advice. Maybe you have and you don't know it yet."

Lena said "There is no way. I don't think that's ever happened."

Eden smiled "Actually. I am certain you have. Once I was talking to your brother at our shop. I asked him what he wants to drink. He said what have you got? I told him the two options. He took out a coin. A very old coin and announced which side is heads and which is tails. He then flipped it and chose his drink. I said don't you care what you are drinking? He said no. He said to me that "Lena once gave me this coin and told me to use it whenever I am holding a conversation with someone and a choice comes up that is insignificant and is not relevant to the conversation. Lena told me that I should make decisions about making a choice where I do not care for the outcome this way by flipping a coin and instead should focus my time on interacting with the person in the room because if I don't I will miss out on what they say. Choices like drinks can repeat themselves but the same conversation never repeats itself. He told me "Lena gave me this outdated coin to keep to make sure I never spend it and always have a coin to flip whenever the circumstances demand it." She smiled "Lena I can only give you one advice. Please be confident. You are an amazing girl with an amazing personality. But I think you are a bit shy and not very confident. There is nothing wrong with that of course. But I like to see you value how amazing you are."

Lena sighed "Thank you. You are so kind. But I am not all amazing because I have made mistakes I am not proud of. Luigi must have told you about the time that I trusted the wrong people and I got into trouble. You gifted me the snow globe because Luigi told you I am upset about that incident and feeling low."

Eden said "Lena. Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone. I have made so many. You are not the only one who has ever trusted the wrong people. When you trust people, you may think they think they way you do..."

Lena said "But I shouldn't have trusted him. He broke my trust and hurt my feelings... I regret ever thinking it was a good idea..."

Eden said "That is more common than you think."

Lena asked "What do you mean?"

Eden said "We are in high school. We are teenagers. It happens. Do you think boys haven't tried to mess me around. Some boys are players Lena. Not every boy has honour."

Lena asked "You think so...."

Eden said "Yes. Trust me if you were not messed around in that situation maybe him or another boy would have tricked you or played with you in another situation. I don't know. Project work. Homework club. Cafeteria time... The important thing is you are safe and not hurt. The important thing is that you realise your mistake and won't trust anyone unless you know them well... Be careful around guys. I really do not trust any guy apart from the guys in my family... But when it comes to you brother, let's say I have talked to Luigi long enough to know that he has honour."

Lena was looking at Eden taking in her words. She whispered "Thank you for being so understanding."

Eden said "We are human. We make mistakes."   She then leaned close and hugged her tightly "We are sisters. If any boy bothers you then you must tell me, we can go and involve our group of girls we meet at lunch, you know Gabriela and Ciara.. The four of us United to succeed."

Lena hugged her back tightly too "I would love that."

Luigi was walking with his friends and he walked to a water fountain. He was about to press the water fountain button down and was about to lean down when he saw the scene in front of him in astonishment. Here she was Eden hugging his sister and smiling. What on earth? He had spent ages trying to get Eden to give him a glance when she talked to him and his sister had managed to a get a tight and long hug in one day. He knew his sister had not met Eden the last time they checked. He was meaning to introduce them and was looking forward to see how his sister was going to crack the ice around this ice queen named Eden. But it seemed like his sister was doing pretty well. Lena got a hug from the ice queen.

As though what Luigi was seeing was not enough, he saw just then Gabriela and Ciara walking to them. Ciara was from the Irish school but sometimes came over during breaks and lunches to see Gabriela. The girls talked and then he witnessed something more astonishing. A group hug between Lena, Eden, Ciara and Gabriela." They had known each other only for a very short time... He was looking at them with his mouth open. What was the secret to get the ice queen to willingly give away hugs?

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro