6. True Danger

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

It was Monday morning and Lena was sitting in a car with her brother going to school. Lena had the spent the night with Gabriela and had not seen Gianluca at all for the whole night. In the morning he had not seen him either when she had set off to her home. Mrs Bellagio had said that Gianluca was staying with his father due to business at a different location. Sometimes their business took over the whole day and night or the next few days.

Lena had thought about the date over night. She felt strange now. She was relieved she had avoided more contact with him after their date but at the same time she felt unease. She had been able to have a good conversation with him. She had seen how much he cared for her. His words were still on her mind. The experience of the date had made her re-think the strategy of making him hate her and reject her. Maybe it was worth getting to know him abit. He was nice to her.

Lena was confused. On one hand she had decided she wanted to give him a chance and on the other hand she asked herself why should she give him a chance? It was easier to hang out with boys in his school if his brother backed off. Maybe she could convince Luigi to let her hang out with boys and choose someone who she liked amongst families of non criminals. That was it. She wanted to date someone who was not in life of crime. The boys in her world were just too dominant. She preferred normal boys but Luigi scared them all off. No one wanted to upset Luigi. So they kept away. But Nick Edwards was the new guy who had not seen what Luigi could do yet.

Luigi asked her "What is on your mind? Are you okay?"

Lena turned to him "I am fine."

Luigi said "Did anything interesting happen at your sleep over?"

Lena shrugged "Not really? What did you do last night? Did you do anything interesting?"

Luigi said "It was interesting. But it could be better."

Lena raised an eyebrow "What happened? Were you hanging out with your friends?"

Luigi said "No. Actually did not go to see my friends. I went to see someone I have met recently... a girl...A very special girl."

Lena gasped "A special girl? What do you mean?... Who is she? How did you meet?"

Luigi said "On Saturday when I left home, I bumped into her brother... Well... I saved her brother from a group of kids who wanted to beat him up. He took me to his father's shop who is a chemist and I was introduced to his family. She was there."

Lena said "And last night you went to meet her again?"

Luigi said "Yes. I like her."

Lena said "Oh my god. Is she your girlfriend?"

Luigi said "I wish."

Lena said "What do you mean? You asked her out and she said no?"

Luigi said "Well. I did ask her out. She said no to begin with. I tried to convince her to go out with me... The answer was negative and she did not want to change her mind. Apparently she found my company very annoying at her shop and wanted me to leave. So I made her an offer. I said I would leave the shop for the night if she goes out with me..."

Lena said "And she said no? No one ever says no to you..."

Luigi said "She said yes to the deal... But when I told her to be ready for our date next weekend, she told me she will be the one to tell me when we are meeting. She said that she agreed to go out with me but did not specify when. So I left her alone for the night. But I am going back there and talk to her again the first chance I get. I won't stop until she goes out with me."

Lena said "Can I meet her? I really want to see who this girl is..."

Luigi said "Well. You seem so excited to meet her... She is not even my girlfriend yet..."

Lena said "Well. I am so curious to meet her. I want to see who your kind of girl is. You have never called any girl special before. This is the first time..."

Luigi said "Well. She is special. If she agrees to go out with me I will introduce you to her."

Lena said "I can't wait."

Luigi said "We are so different Lena. I am not so keen to see your boyfriend but you can't wait to meet my girlfriend."

Lena said "Why is it you are so protective Luigi?"

Luigi shrugged "You are my baby sister. I want to protect you. But a girl will grow up to belong to her future husband. You are Gianluca's. Father will give you away to Gianluca at your wedding. I want to keep you close and protect you from the bad guys... It is not that I do not trust Gianluca... I trust Gianluca. I know he has honour. That is why I do not object to him dating you. But it is hard for me to see him as your boyfriend. I am not used to it. But I will try... One day Eden's father will give her away to me at our wedding. I can picture it. I want to marry this girl. I like her alot."

Lena said "Is her name Eden? Nice name. I like her already. Tell me more about her..."

Luigi told Lena as much as he remembered about Eden.

Lena said "She sounds so smart. Please take me next time to this chemist shop. I really want to meet her."

Luigi chuckled "Patience Lena."

At school, Lena saw Nick in the science class. They managed to be partners in class. As they were reading the book and answering the questions, Nick said "Lena... A few friends and I are going into the city to have some fun. Do you want to join us?"

Lena sighed "I am not allowed to go anywhere unless my father knows every detail and approves. Even then I have to take bodyguards with me depending on where we are going. Right now my father is out of town. He is away. So no. Even if he was around he would not approve. You are a boy and not one of our family friends either."

Nick said "Maybe you can sneak out. You did it last time when you went to see a movie with your friends."

Lena shook her head "I can't do that. After he caught us in that pastry shop, I made a promise to my brother. He made me promise that if I ever want to sneak out again I should tell him. He wants me to be safe."

Nick said "Perfect. Then tell him. Maybe he can cover for you."

Lena said "Are you serious? The last time he saw you with me he wanted to beat you up. He only tolerates you around me in School. If we talk for study purposes I guess its fine. He wouldn't get mad. But there is no way he would cover for me to meet up with you alone."

Nick said "Tell him to tag along with us. Maybe he can become friends with me and my buddies..."

Lena said "He would say no. You are not the type of boy he likes to hang out with."

Nick said "How do you know that?"

Lena said "Trust me. If he wanted to be your friend he would have made it clear. And since you were found alone with me in that pastry shop, I think it is best if you don't push your luck with him. Keep away from my brother. He does not like you... He is protective of me when it comes to boys..."

Nick thought for a second "Lena. What if you pretend you are staying at a friend's house. Maybe Mary can cover for you. She is coming with us too. You can tell your brother you are studying with them at her house. Then sneak out. Mary's parents are quite liberal. Do you still need your father's permission for that. You know to go there for studying?"

Lena said "Well. My mother can let me go to study at Mary's house. She lives very close to us and my mother knows her mother. She may say yes. But I am not sure about this. I dont want to lie to my brother. He made me promise him to tell him if I ever want to sneak out so he makes sure I am safe."

Nick said "You said it yourself. He doesn't like me very much. Your brother won't let you go though if he hears you are hanging out with me. You can't tell him. Your only option that is most likely to work is if you pretend you are going to Mary's house to study and have dinner. Then come hang out with us around 5. We will go out, have fun, eat somewhere nice. Then you will be back at Mary's house by 9 to be picked up by let's say 9.30. Easy."

Lena felt so much pressure. "I don't know. I need to think about it."

Nick said "Come on Lena. You will be safe. I guarantee it. Nothing bad will happen to you. You can be free for the night."

That word caught her attention. The word "free" appealed to her. She did not feel free at all. She wanted to be like other kids. She wanted to have the freedom that girls like Mary had. Why did her parents have to be so strict and have her under close watch all the time? What was the worst that could happen? Nick could keep her safe. He said he would. She said "Ok. I will come I guess... You are right. I should be free for once."

Nick smiled "I am so glad to hear that."

The plan worked for Lena. Her mother did not suspect anything at all when Lena asked to go to Mary's house at 5'Oclock in the afternoon. She did go to Mary's house all the time. The guards dropped her off at Mary's house and were going to pick her up at 9.30 at night just like how Nick had planned.

Nick with his friend bobby and Bobby's girlfriend Bella came and picked up Mary and Lena. They went into town. Bobby was older than them and was the one driving. They went bowling first.

Lena was introduced to Nick's friends properly. Neither one of them went to the same school as them. They knew Nick because their parents did business with Nick's father.

After bowling, Bobby announced that he wanted to drive away them somewhere nice to eat. The drive was long. Lena did not recognise the surroundings. They were out of her father's territory. She had no idea where they were. She was starting to regret sneaking out now.

After a while the car stopped in front of a hotel. Lena asked "Aren't we going to a burger place or somewhere that is a restaurant. Why are we here?"

Bobby said "There is a party here at this hotel. We will have fun. They serve nice dinner tonight at this party."

Lena said "I am not sure about this. Can we go to some restaurant?"

Nick said "Why? This party is fun. I promise you."

Mary and Bella also agreed with Nick and sounded excited.

Lena tried to reason with them "But we are school kids. Would they let us in?"

Bobby said "Do not worry. Nick and I will do the talking. Our parents are in show business. We can go anywhere. Besides if we ran into trouble, we let the money do the talking. Isn't that right Nick?"

Nick laughed "Of course. There is nothing that money can not buy. Let's go."

Lena felt guilty. She thought they would have fun and they would return. What if something bad happened? But then she reminded herself that Nick said he would keep her safe. She trusted him. It was a chance to get to know Nick better. Was she a better option than Gianluca? She had to see for herself. So far nothing bad had happened. She had enjoyed herself so far.

At the party Lena forgot all about her doubts. It was so fun to be there.

After having a nice meal and dancing at the dance floor, Lena decided to go to the ladies room to freshen up. Nick like a gentleman offered to accompany her. The ladies room was down a long corridor away from the party. Nick accompanied here there and waited outside.

When Lena came out, she noticed Nick was distracted and he was staring at a door deep in thought. She said to Nick "Let's go."

Nick was startled "Oh. You are back." But his eyes did not leave the door. He said in a whisper "Lena. Guess what? I just saw a few actresses go through that door. I am curious what is beyond that door. I want to get their autograph. Do you want to come with me or do you want me to accompany you to the party?"

Lena said "I do not think it's a good idea. I want to return to the party."

Nick said "What are you scared of? This is a party. Nothing bad will happen. I will protect you."

Lena sighed " I do not know..."

Nick said "Come on. Let's go. You can meet some actresses. It takes a few minutes and we come back."

Lena sighed. Against her judgement she said "Yes." She trusted Nick. Why not?

Nick smiled and said "Great. Let's wait until no one is in this corridor"

Once it was all clear, he opened the door and Lena followed. There was a set of stairs that lead down the stairs. Nick rushed down the stairs and Lena followed. When they reached down, they saw a corridor and a bunch of rooms. They heard laughter from one room. They entered and saw the actresses and a few men were playing poker. Nick asked for the women's autograph and then left with Lena.

Lena lead the way and was about to go upstairs but Nick had other ideas. He was trying to open the other doors. They seemed to be locked though.

Lena sighed "Nick. Let's go."

Nick looked around and said "Look. There is another set of stairs leading down. Let's go check it out. We may see more actresses. I wonder what they are upto." He did not wait for her response and walked downstairs. Lena followed him reluctantly downstairs as she said "Nick. Let's go back up. We should not be here."

They reached the base. Nick said "Woah. Look at this car park. These cars look so cool. Let's check them out. I would love to drive some of these."

Lena looked around. The cars were all the latest models and looked so expensive. The place was deserted though.

Lena said "Nick. Where are you going?"

Nick said "I like adventures. Don't you? relax Lena."

Lena followed him "Look. Let's go back up. The others will worry about where we are."

Nick said "Fine. But let me see that car and we will go back up..."

Lena sighed in relief. She followed Nick to the car that he wanted to check out.

Nick looked closely at the car and then took a step back "Oh my god. We have to get out of here. We have to call the police."

Lena walked to him "Why?"

Nick said "There is a body in the back seat of this car. The clothes are all bloodied. He does not seem alive. He looks pale... Murder."

Lena gasped "Oh my god. I told you. Let's get out of here."

A voice said "Not so fast kids."

Lena and Nick turned around and saw a group of men in suits with guns. They both swallowed hard.

The man who seemed to be their leader as he was standing ahead of them in the middle and seemed scary said "Did you not see the no entry sign at the top of the stairs? So you want to go to the police. You will take that wish to the grave. No one crosses us, the Irish Americans and lives. I will enjoy killing you." He turned tone of the men "Restrain them for me. Let's decide how to kill you more painfully."

The men murmured "Yes George." and "Yes sir."

The men surrounded Lena and Nick. They grabbed Nick's and Lena's arms painfully behind their backs making them unable to move. Lena was so shocked. She knew there was no way they could escape if these men decided to kill them. They had said they were Irish. It meant she was totally dead. All the Irish American criminals hated her father in that area.

Nick said "Please guys. Let me go. I will not tell anyone. My father is rich. He will pay a good ransom. Just let me go."

Lena thought maybe she could reason with them using money. Why not try it.

The man who was holding Nick's hands laughed "We are not interested in money. Our boss pays us good money .... We only serve the Kavannaghs and money is not our only motivation kid. We live by honour and loyalty."

Lena froze. She was dead for sure. The Kavannaughs hated every Italian American criminal out there. Maybe they would have given her a painless death if they did not know who she was. You did not cross into the Kavannaugh territory as an Italian American criminal unless you wanted to die painfully and slowly.

Nick said "You do not know who I am though..."

George said" I know who you are kid. Nick Edwards is it?"

Nick nodded "You know my name?"

George said "I checked the names of everyone who arrived at this party. You were not invited. You and your friend invited yourselves in with your fathers' business cards and brought a few buddies with you. We let it go. But you over stayed your welcome kid. You die tonight. With ... whoever this is."

Nick said "Please. Let me go."Whatever your boss pays you, I pay double. Let me go."

George laughed "You cant buy your way out of trouble kid. You wanted to call the police. But amuse me. Write us a check. We take the check to our boss. If he agrees to let you go, we will let you go. But if you want the girl to live you have to pay more. Who is she to you?"

Nick said "Please let me live. I don't care what happens to her."

Lena was in total shock. How could Nick do this to her? He had lied to her. Gianluca was mean and cruel to the world but he cared for her. There was no way he would have left her at the mercy of these men. But Nick did. She felt numb. She wanted to curse him and throw the worst possible insults at him. He was a liar and a coward. He had betrayed her. But no words came out. She was in shock.

George looked surprised but nodded. He pointed to his men "Fine. You two. Take him to a hotel room and get him to write a check. I will talk to the boss and tell him what happened. I will ask if we should let him go or not?"

The men dragged Nick towards the exit.

George smirked "Now tell me girl. What is your name? Who's name should I write on your tombstone. You are minutes away from dying."

Lena did not reply. She was frozen in shock and she did not want a more painful death than what this man intended. If they knew she was Italian American she was going to suffer. She knew it.

The man holding her arms said roughly "Answer him."

George laughed "So you are being difficult. You talking or not talking won't make no difference. You will die tonight." He turned to the men who were about to drag Nick upstairs. He shouted "Oi. Kid. Tell me. What is the name of this girl. I want to know names of those who I am killing."

Lena hoped Nick was not going to reply. But she heard the dreaded words from Nick. He shouted back "She is Lena Alessandrini."

Lena closed her eyes shut. "Thanks Nick. Now I will be burned alive if I am lucky." Kavannaghs were known for their ruthlessness. She was afraid to open her eyes. The man holding her let her hands go. All she could hear was Nick's footsteps going upstairs to his freedom. She wanted to cry but she had to be brave. She waited for slaps and kicks to start. That's why they let he hands go, she was sure. She opened her eyes. George was standing unmoving in his spot not speaking and staring at her silently with an unreadable expression. The other men were slowly backing away with fearful eyes looking at her.

One of the men whispered "George... What do we do?"

The other man said "George..."

George was still silently and thoughtfully looking at her as thought he was thinking about his options.

One of the men said "George,..We did not know who she was..."

Seconds passed. She looked at the men who were not speaking.

Lena felt confused. She was afraid but she managed to voice her thoughts. "Aren't you going to .... kill me?"

George said in softer tone. Much more politer and respectful. The roughness in his voice was gone. "Kavanaghs are no foes of the Bellagios. The Bellagios are the only Italian Americans who the Kavannaghs have relations with... We are sorry about this. We did not know who you were..."

Lena took a deep breath "So... Your boss is friends with Mr Gerardo Bellagio?"

George said "No. Not with him.... His son... Gianluca Bellagio... is friends with our boss's grandson. We do not harm the Bellagios."

Lena did not understand "But... I am an Alessandrini. Not a Bellagio..."

George said "We would have killed you with no problems if you were an Alessandrini... We would have made your death painful too..."

She gulped.

George continued "But you are not an Alessandrini... Not for very long any ways. You are going to be a Bellagio. You are as good as a Bellagio to us... You belong to Gianluca Bellagio..."

Lena did not expect this. Lena did not understand. How did they even know she belonged to Gianluca. But that was not important to her.

Lena swallowed hard and asked the question that did matter to her "Are you going to let me go?"

George said "Let you go? We can't let you go back to those friends of yours who brought you here. We know you came with their car. We do not think you will be safe with them. That boy you came in with made it clear he did not care if you lived or died. We have to take you to our boss. He needs to know you are here. If we let you go and anything happens to you on this territory we will die." He gestured to the other men "and so would our families. We did not know who you were so we hope we will be forgiven for threatening you. We would like to sincerely apologise for this unfortunate misunderstanding."

Lena became so emotional. She owed her life to Gianluca. He loved and cared for her so much. Even when he was not with her, he had protected her. He had honour that Nick did not.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro