4 - Curiosity

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

[Aiko]

Akhet was reading that big book she always read again. What's so interesting about it? I thought it was boring.

I looked up at her. She was fixated on the pages, a serious look on her face. I knew while she was reading she wouldn't be able to play with me. I sighed in an exaggerated manner, looking around until my eyes met the doorway out of the library.

Someone stood at the end of the hall. Gradient. His back was turned, seeming to be looking around before entering the door he stood in front of - presumably his room.

I perked up a little bit. I wonder what Gradient's doing? Maybe he'll play with me!

I gave the book-invested Akhet a small glance before standing up and walking out the door without her noticing, deciding to go and see what Gradient was up to.

I peeked around the corner of the doorway, seeing Gradient sitting on his bed. His tail oscillated contently off the bedside like a pendulum as he seemed to be staring into some sort of glowing orb. It was a teal-green, glowing softly with slow-motion flames emitting from the top. Random images flickered across the surface facing Gradient, which Gradient was observing closely.

"Gwai-dent?" I said curiously, starting to walk in. He blinked, looking at me. His right eye was different - black with a white pupil that glowed brightly. The other was still normal.

"Oh, hi Aiko," He smiled sweetly. Were his teeth sharper than usual? Eh, I never paid attention to that. Gradient patted the bed next to him. "Come here, I wanna show you this."

Curious now, I walked swiftly over to the bed, managing to scramble up onto it to look at what Gradient had. When I was sitting and comfortable he lowered his hand so the orb was in front of me. I gazed in wonder as images flew across the surface, images I didn't recognize but looked really cool. One moment it was a sandy beach at the ocean, the next on the bench at a playground, watching children play. The playground image was what caught my eye, though it was only there for a second. Gradient, tilting his head at my interest, said,

"Pretty cool, huh?"

I smiled happily. "It's vewy cwool!"

He gave me a smile, then brought the orb back to him, using his free finger to "scroll" through the images until he found the one I had liked - the playground one. This time it stayed there as he handed it back to me. I giggled ecstatically as I watched, finding wonder in watching the living kids play.

I wonder if I went to any of those, I thought. Maybe, maybe not. No one knew my parents or what they were like, so who knows.

The thought brought my spirits down enough for Gradient to notice. "What's wrong, Aiko? You seem troubled."

I frowned. "I don't know if I've ever bween to one of those. And they look reawy fwun."

"Hm," Gradient flicked his tail in thought before he seemed to have an idea. "How about we change that?"

I tilted my head. "What do you mwean?"

"I could take you to one of those," Gradient said simply with a shrug. "I've been all around this town, I think there's one in the park."

"We can do that??" I was excited again, suddenly very thrilled at the thought of playing at a playground.

"If you want to," Gradient confirmed.

Immediately I started bouncing up and down, tail lashing ecstatically as I started towards the door.

"Aiko, wait."

Suddenly the door in front of me closed - in a hard, slamming motion, however not making a sound. I squeaked in surprise, scrambling backwards and crawling onto the bed, hugging Gradient as I looked at the now closed door. A cold energy seemed to pulse from him into me, but all I did was shiver as I looked towards the door. What seemed to be a pale white string had come from the ceiling and pushed the door closed, disappearing quickly into the ceiling before I could get a good look.

Gradient chuckled, turning enough to stroke my hair. "We can't go now, okay? The others won't let me take you places."

I looked up at him. "Why?"

"Well... they don't exactly trust me," He said in explanation. He held up the orb in his hand. "Because I can do this?"

"Because you have a glowy orb thingy?" I tilted my head.

He laughed. "No, silly, because I was able to get it. See, this is a soul. You and the others can't take souls like I can, and they don't like me doing it. They think I'm gonna do it to them or you - but I'd never do that!"

The added the last statement quickly, realizing the rest of what he said might freak me out.

"Ohhhh," I said. "Well, I think that's really cool! I'm not afraid of you because of it!"

He patted my shoulder, smiling warmly. "Thanks, Aiko."

"Youw're welcome!"

I beamed, happy he appreciated my presence.

He took a quick look towards the door, opening back up with the string that came from the ceiling. It disappeared as quickly as last time. "You should go before Akhet realizes you're gone. I don't want you to get in trouble."

I tilted my head. "How'd you know she doesn't know I came?"

Gradient shrugged.

"I know things."

"Okay!" I said, hopping down from the bed and starting to walk towards the doorway. Suddenly I stopped, a thought coming to mind as I turned back around. My expression was less bright than before.

"H-how do I know you won't take my swoul like you said?"

Gradient looked at me and sighed, walking forwards and kneeling down in front of me, hand on my shoulder.

"Aiko, listen to me," He said calmly. "There's nothing to worry about. I've got it all under control, you get that?"

I stared at him for a minute or so before deciding and nodding, my good mood back.

"Okay, then! You promise you'll take me to the playground soon?"

Gradient smiled and nodded. "I promise."

I held out my hand, my pinky finger pointed out. "Pinky-promise?"

He curled his own pinky finger around mine and smiled.

"Pinky promise."

I gave him one last hug before starting towards the door again, but this time Gradient stopped me.

"One more thing."

I turned around.

"Yeah?"

"You won't tell anyone about what happened in here, okay?" His tone was stern - he was serious about this.

I gave an exaggerated salute. "Okay!"

He nodded as his smile returned, and I ran back out the door and towards the library.

-=+=-

[Gradient]

I watched the child run back into the hall, closing the door and sighing. That could have been bad.

But at least I got something out of it.

I looked at my right hand, curled into a small fist. I opened it, the warm-hued glow of the object washing over my hand as a smile crept across my face.

Perfect.

-=+=-

AND WE ALL KNOW WHAT CURIOSITY DOES

AHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA

shorter chapter :(

1200 words

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro