48: Sweet Melody

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"To say I am disappointed in you would be an understatement. How could you? How dare you! I didn't give my child to you to be mistreated."

Jameel's body language spoke volumes, as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat, facing his raging mother-in-law. His gaze, when it finally met Mrs. Amina's after avoiding it for as long as he could, was filled with a desperate plea for understanding, for forgiveness. It longed to undo the past—to ease the pain he had caused and to correct his mistake, but deep within him, he knew it was impossible.

"Nothing can justify your action!" Mrs. Amina continued, her anger intensifying with each word.

Jameel concurred by nodding his head. Jameel wished there was something he could say to redeem himself, but at that moment, all he could do was sit, lost in his own remorseful thoughts.

Mrs. Amina leaned forward in her seat. "I came here to take my daughter back home with me."

"Mum," the word trembled out of Jameel's mouth, as if afraid to be spoken aloud. "Please don't do this."

"You've left me with no other choice."

"Mum," Jameel gulped down a ball of nerves that got stuck in his throat. He had experienced love slip through his fingers once and he didn't like how it tasted. He would never want to go through such an ordeal again. "There's probably nothing I can say or do to calm you down at this moment, but I want you to know that the love I have for Afrah is genuine. I'm deeply sorry for what I did. It's one of the biggest mistakes I have made in my life and I'd understand if you don't forgive me because I have actually not forgiven myself as well. If only I could turn back the hands of the clock, I would do that in a heartbeat. I love your daughter so much."

"Yet you raised your hand against her?" Mrs. Amina seethed. "Afrah grew up with so much love. She was entrusted to you by us!! I'm highly disappointed in you. If her father's hears of this, do you think he will leave you alone?"

Jameel lowered his head. His eyes flickered from hopelessness, a deep longing for redemption that seemed just out of reach. He yearned to undo the damages his action had caused, but deep down, he knew that some wounds could never fully heal. Afrah had also not completely forgiven him, he was aware because she couldn't hide the pain—a reminder of what he had inflicted.

"Afrah is coming with me and that is final."

"Mum," Jameel continued. "please, do not punish me by taking Afrah away from me again. I..." His voice trailed. "She's my backbone...how will I be able to go on without her?"

"You should have thought of all these before raising your hand to her!" Mrs. Amina yelled. "Enough. I have had enough. Afrah," she called, averting her gaze to Afrah.

Jameel had not realized that Afrah had been standing by the door and listening to their conversation until her mother called her name.

"Na'am," Afrah responded as she walked into the living room and took a seat on the armrest of the couch Jameel was seated on.

"I hope you've had your stuff packed. We are leaving immediately." Mrs. Amina informed, preparing to rise to her feet.

Jameel's heart grew heavy with a fear that gnawed his very core. His mind was a battlefield of insecurities as he waited for Afrah's response.

"Mum, I know you wouldn't want me to have a broken marriage, right?"

Jameel's body seemed to regain its vitality as the words emerged from his wife's mouth. The fear that had consumed him dissipated in the air, replaced by a sense of calmness.

"I know you always pray for me to be happy." Tears glistened in Afrah's eyes. "I know you want the best for me. Always."

Mrs. Amina squinted her eyes at her daughter but that didn't make her attempt to interrupt her.

"Jameel made a mistake. Not a day goes without him apologizing to me since it happened...and mum, it happened a long time ago. Recall the last time I went home? It was because of this issue. I was so angry. In my state of anger, I decided to never return to him, but I later realized that I overreacted...to be honest, I am—"

"Hold on!" Mrs. Amina abruptly cut her off. "What are you trying to say? I would appreciate it if you don't beat about the bush."

"I don't want to go with you, mum. I want to make this marriage work...for the sake of this baby...and myself as well. Despite everything, I am always happy whenever I am with him. He has promised me that he will never do it again and I believe him. Believe me, Mum, he is genuinely sorry. Can you please forgive him?"

A smile tugged at the corners of Jameel's mouth, reaching his eyes.

"What nonsense!" Mrs. Amina boomed. "Weren't you the one that called me crying and begging me to come and take you? What was that for?"

"I was really mad at him then, but we talked and we were able to resolve the issue. I'm sorry for the trouble I caused. I—" Afrah's voice shook as she spoke. "I am really grateful for the love you've shown me today. You came all the way here because I was troubled. You are always there for me whenever I need you. Thank you so much for everything, Mom, and sorry for making you worry. It wasn't my intention. I acted without thinking."

Defeated, Mrs. Amina heaved a sigh. "If that is what you want. I can't force you to come with me."

Jameel tried to contain his happiness but that persistent smile on his face was giving him away.

"Are you angry?" Afrah pouted. "please don't be. You're going to make me sad."

"I'm angry but not at you."

Jameel opened his mouth to speak but Afrah beat him to it.

"He is truly sorry..."

"Sorry doesn't fix anything. I will be on my way."

"Mom, are you sure you don't want to pass the night here and leave early tomorrow?"

"I have things to attend to tomorrow. I can't. Besides, I don't have your father's permission to sleep over."

"But you can easily call him and I am one hundred percent sure he wouldn't deny you that. You just don't want to stay with us."

"Maybe next time."

Afrah nodded.

Jameel could see she wasn't pleased but it was not in his place at that moment to try to persuade Mrs. Amina.

"Assalamualaikum," Najah's voice filled the room as she walked into the room and went over to Mrs. Amina to greet her.

"How are you doing?" Mrs. Amina asked.

"I am alright."

"That's good to know."

"Would you like me to prepare something for you?"

"No, my dear, thank you, I'm already leaving."

"So soon?" Najah averted her gaze to Jameel for an answer, then took it back to Mrs. Amina when she got no response. "I thought you were going to stay with us for a while."

Afrah rolled her eyes. That gesture didn't go unnoticed by Jameel.

"Unfortunately, I have a lot of work to attend  to back home."

"Next time then." Najah gave a closed-lip smile.

"I just called Mom," Afrah informed as she walked into the room and sat down on the edge of the bed. "She has arrived home safely."

"Masha Allah."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah..."

"You're clearly not. Tell me what's wrong. Is it Mom?"

Jameel sat up; his heart heavy with regret. Now that Afrah's family was aware, he knew the road to redemption would be long and arduous. He saw the disappointment in Mrs. Amina's eyes as she looked at him. It wasn't the normal stare of admiration she always gave him. It was a glare filled with disappointment and anger. The shame that engulfed him as the image flashed in his mind was palpable, radiating from his very being. "I have no idea what I am supposed to do to make her look at me the way she used to. I don't know if that will ever be possible again."

Afrah hummed.

"I hoped and prayed you wouldn't tell them..."

"I was angry. Very angry. I was ready to leave everything behind but when we spoke, I realized I was taking things a bit far, but it was already too late as I had already spoken to Mom."

Jameel knew he had no right to tell her not to inform her parents but it would have made things easier for him. For them.

"Is that why you are so quiet?" She asked. "Don't worry, mom will come around. She's angry right now but give her a few days, and the anger will dissolve. Thankfully, she didn't tell dad."

Wordlessly, Jameel got off the bed and planted a kiss on Afrah's forehead. "Goodnight." He mumbled. He was going to sleep in Najah's room as agreed.

Afrah didn't respond. Jameel did not expect her to anyway. He knew her jealousy had kicked in, and he totally understood her.  He hoped she understood him too. He needed to be fair. He had been unfair to Najah for a long time.

He leaned in and kissed her forehead one more time, this time, he made sure to allow his lips to linger. "I love you so much." He reminded. "see you in the morning."

With that said, he turned around and walked out of the room.

Najah had already changed into red lingerie and was preparing to get into bed when Jameel walked in.

"I thought you weren't going to come...I was waiting."

Jameel walked to the other side of the bed where she was standing and hugged her from behind, burying his head in the crook of her neck, taking in her perfumed scent. "I gave you my words and here I am."

"You took so long though. I slept off at some point."

"I'm sorry," he kissed her cheek, disentangled himself from her, and went to lie down on his side of the bed. "Afrah and I were having a conversation. I lost track of time."

"Oh," Najah remarked.

"She told her mother about the—" Jameel cut himself off. He couldn't even bring himself to utter the word. Everything still seemed like a nightmare to him. "incident...and she got so angry and came to take her back."

"I thought this issue had been resolved. Why would she go and tell her mother that now?"

Jameel shrugged.

Najah shook her head. "I honestly don't get Afrah sometimes."

"I understand her though, she was hurt."

"Of course," Najah mumbled with a little eye roll. "It's Afrah we're talking about."

Jameel heard her but pretended he didn't because he didn't want to prolong the discussion as it might end up taking another dimension.

"I have never seen you in this nightdress. Is it new?"

"I have had it for long but I just haven't worn it. Many similar others too, but I will definitely be wearing them now. Do you like it?"

Jameel watched her speak, a tender smile graced his lips; his heart swelling with an overwhelming adoration. His worries had momentarily dissipated.

Najah's hair cascaded in loose waves, falling effortlessly on her shoulders. He marveled at the way her eyes shone with love, reflecting the depths of her soul. He didn't need a soothsayer to tell him just how much Najah loved him and wanted to do everything to please him and to make him feel at ease. Her little gestures sent warmth to his heart.

"Do you?" She asked again, turning around for him to check her out.

Jameel continued to admire her, his heart filled with profound gratitude for the privilege of getting to know and sharing his life with such a remarkable woman. Najah had been so supportive of him even when he treated her like an ordinary friend. She had been so understanding of his feelings for Afrah. While he was busy dwelling in self-pity for losing the love of his life, Najah became his sanctuary without him even realizing it.

She became his solace.

"I love it," he replied and in that moment, he realized just how beautiful she was, but it wasn't what enthralled him. What captivated him was the kindness of her heart and the love that she bestowed upon him unconditionally. "You're beautiful."

"I wore it for you," Najah blushed. "I'm glad you love it."

Jameel patted the space next to him. "Come here."

Najah got in bed next to him and he instantly engulfed her in a cuddle. "You look irresistible tonight." He whispered in her ear.

"Then don't resist me."

🙈🙈

Don't forget to vote and comment ❥♡❥

deey_jah
(☞ ಠ_ಠ)☞

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro