82: Goodbye

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Waking up with Afrah in his arms felt surreal. Jameel had Indisputably missed the feeling of just basking in her warmth and heavenly scent. A satisfied smile stretched his lips as she snuggled even deeper into his arms. Jameel planted a lingering kiss on her forehead.

"So it wasn't a dream?" Afrah's voice was low-pitched, almost incoherent.

Jameel pulled back a little, picking her cheek lightly. "What do you think?"

Afrah bridged the little gap Jameel had created between them and rested her head on his chest. "I'm  glad we've been able to settle our differences. Do you know how miserable I was when you kept ignoring me? Fawaaz was the only person that kept me going. I wanted to give up, but I couldn't."

Jameel planted another kiss on her forehead. He didn't say anything in response to Afrah's confession. Why? Because he didn't want to go back to the phase they'd already passed. He didn't want to remember the horrible nights, the emotional trauma, the heartache. The past should be left in the past. The most important thing was that they had finally been able to push aside their egos and settle their differences. Not only for their son, but for each other as well. The deep-rooted love Jameel had for his wife was still alive and strong. He had doubts about Afrah's feelings for him, and just needed her to do something to make him confident that she still felt the same way she fet about him years ago.

"Did you miss me, Jameel?" Afrah hummed. "Your silence is making me think otherwise."

Jameel nodded. Couldn't she see the magnitude in his eyes? Of course he did. Perhaps even more than she did.

Afrah's brows twitched. "I want to hear you say it."

"I love you," Jameel tightened his arms around her. So tight that began to pull away, uncomfortable. "I love you, Afrah."

"I can't breathe!" Afrah chuckled, slapping his arm lightly.

Jameel cupped her face, his breath fanning her forehead. "I missed you so much. I still do.  I want us to relive those moments that we were close, yet far. let's not allow anything or anyone wedge a bridge between us again."

Afrah nodded in agreement. "I love you."

"You will have to keep saying it for me to believe you," Jameel joked, but there was an atom of seriousness in his tone. Afrah wasn't the type to show so much affection, and most times, it made him feel unloved by her. Especially given the circumstances of their marriage.

Afrah huffed. "What does that even mean?"

Jameel chuckled, pulling her to his body again. "Nothing. Let's get ready, you know we have to go to Hajiya today."

Realization surged into Afrah She lowered her head.

Jameel placed a hand beneath her chin, raising her face. He could tell she was nervous. He couldn't blame her though because he was equally feeling the same. "Don't worry," Jameel said, caressing her face. "Everything is going to be fine."

Afrah gulped. "What if she doesn't forgive me? What then?"

"I believe she will," Jameel reassured. He knew his mother well. Like a coconut, she may appear stone-hearted, but deep inside, she was as soft as a slime. He also appreciated the fact that Afrah genuinely regretted everything she did to You just have to show her how sorry you are. We'll do it together."

Afrah nodded, and got off the bed. "I'll get Fawaaz ready. You should get ready too. We're returning today, right?"

"Let's see how it goes," Jameel replied, getting off the bed too. He strolled towards Fawaaz's cradle and picked him up, waking him up in the process. "Assalamualaikum, champ," he muttered, then planted a kiss on his cheeks. "Good morning."

"Do you think he just woke up?" Afrah asked, looking intently at the baby. "I wonder why he isn't crying."

"Why do you want him to cry?" Jameel asked, narrowing his eyes at Afrah.

"I'm just surprised. Maybe he isn't hungry yet," Afrah said, taking him from Jameel. "I'll go and bathe him. We should be done in forty minutes."

"Alright," Jameel said. "I'll inform you when I'm ready."

The drive to Hajiya's house was filled with tension. No one said anything. Afrah had been eerily quiet. Jameel did not bother to ask her the reason or to even start a conversation with her. He understood that she was in deep thoughts. Going to meet Hajiya and apologize was a big and difficult move for Afrah. Without her having to say anything to him, he knew it took a lot of courage for her finally agreed to do that. She had to push aside her massive ego for peace to finally reign.

"We're here!" Jameel announced, pulling her out of her trance. He reached for her hand and caressed it softly. "I'm with you."

Afrah's lips stretched into a nervous smile.

Alighting from the car, Jameel took Fawaaz's car seat from the car. He was sleeping soundly inside. Then, he began to walk towards the front door of the house.

Afrah trailed behind.

Jameel waited at the door, stretching his hand for Afrah to hold.

Afrah heaved a deep sigh before holding his hand.

Jameel nodded, a silent gesture to reassure her that everything would turn out perfect, even though deep down, nervousness was gnawing at him. Not just because of Hajiya.

Najah.

She was in the house. He hoped to at least see her, to know if she was doing fine. He just needed to know.

"Jameel?" Afrah called, nudging him with her shoulder. "What are you thinking about? Let's go in?"

He shook his head. "It's nothing. Let's go."

Opening the door, a figure appeared in front of him. It was Najah. But not the sad Najah he remembered. This Najah had a bright glow on her face. She looked happy. Extremely. And beautiful. She seemed to be going out because she was dressed up nicely, and had her handbag hanging on her shoulder.

Jameel thought she'd give him an attitude, or even ignore him, but he was wrong. Instead, a smile brighter than any he'd ever seen on her during their marriage lit up her face. "Fawaaz! Is he sleeping?"

Too stunned to speak, Jameel didn't realize Afrah had stepped forward until she began to speak. "Yes, he is. Hello, Najah."

"Afrah," Najah's smile widened. It held a vibrancy that had been absent before. It was as if she was glad to have finally left Jameel for Afrah. "It's been a while. How have you been?"

Jameel felt a pang in his heart. Not that he wasn't happy about her 'newfound' happiness. Verily, he was, but it hurt him that he wasn't the reason. He was supposed to be the reason, but to her, he was nonexistent.

Afrah didn't smile back, skepticism written all over her face. "I've been well. Thank you."

"And Fawaaz?" Najah asked, the smile still plastered on her face.

"He's well too, Alhamdulillah."

"That's good to know," she said, finally letting her gaze to meet Jameel's for a fleeting second. "Hajiya is inside."

Jameel forced a smile at Najah, but it felt brittle and unconvincing. He felt a hollowness settle in his gut, the taste of regret turning bitter on his tongue. Najah seemed to have moved on totally from him. She had made it clear to him, but because he knew how fiercely she loved him, a part of him believed she'd opt for a reconciliation after taking a few days to think things through. But apparently, it was all his delusion. "How are you?" The words rolled off his tongue before he could stop them. His gaze instantly darted to Afrah. For a fact, he knew she was going to make a mountain out of a mole hill. He instantly wished he could take back his words. At least not ask the question in front of Afrah. They had just made up, he didn't want to do anything to destroy the peace. Losing Najah was difficult enough."

"Never been better," she smiled. "Hajiya is inside," she repeated. "It was lovely seeing you again, Afrah, but I really should get going."

Afrah nodded. "Nice to see you too, Najah."

"Goodbye," Najah said and walked past him. 

The goodbye was brief, laced with a formality that twisted Jameel's heart. It was a reminder that she was gone from his life for good. He had her. He'd lost her now.

"Are we going in or not?" Afrah asked. She did not wait for his response before walking into the house.

Jameel puffed out his cheeks. "Not again, please," he mumbled before following her inside. "Afrah?" He called after her.

She stopped but didn't turn around.

"Are we okay?" He already knew what the answer would be, but he hoped it wasn't the case.

"Why wouldn't we be?" She asked, her gaze fixated on him. "We came here for a reason. Let's get to it."

Assalamualaikum/hello!

It's me again *hides face*

I know I've kept y'all waiting for so long, and I'm so sorry about that. I truly am. It wasn't intentional at all.

And thank you for understanding and waiting even after (has it been a month already?) Not updating for a long time. I'll try my best to make the updates more regular. For now, I hope you enjoyed this.

Special thanks to everyone who took time to check up on me. It warmed my heart that a lot of people care about me 🥺❤️

Don't forget to vote, comment and share 😊

Jameel should stay one place. The awkwardness 🤣

Do you think there's still hope for reconciliation for Najah and Jameel?

We'll get to see more of Najah in the coming chapters.

deey_jah
💞

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro