33. Attack

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

33. Attack

"Hey, when you want to cry, just cry.Until your tears are all dried up, it's okay to cry.It's okay not to pretend to be strong, because we'll just become stronger."

-The Rain's Message / Ame no Message (Yamamoto Takeshi's Character Song)

------

"Sae, Sui, no."

The two eyed me with their teary gazes, begging and pleading with what they know was my weakness. But I've learned to remain unfazed. I gave them a sharp, stern, unmoved,

"No."

Cue the tears.

"I am NOT buying you girls ice cream! You already had two!" I scolded.

-------

The girls held hands, giggling as we made our merry way towards home. Dad was out to... France, was it? and he wouldn't be back for another three days. And so, we decided to eat out at a Family Restaurant.

"Rei-kun!" the lady from the flower shop called on me as she was closing up shop.

"Yes, Hanae-san?" I asked as we made our way over there curiously.

She looked a little worried. Hanae was in her early twenties, and she had been a great help to our livelihoods when Mama Lula was still taking care of us. She was like another mother to us, I guess.

"Rei-kun, it's really dark out. I don't think it's safe to walk the rest of the way home..." she was genuinely concerned, "Did you hear? Yesterday, people from your school were attacked just nearby!"

People are getting attacked?

"That's... worrying." I managed to answer.

"That's the least of my worries!" she was frantic now, "Rei-kun, I heard that their injuries aren't just cuts and scrapes and bruises, they're promised in the hospital for a week, at least!" she reprimanded slightly, "Just for today, could I drive you guys home, please?"

They targeted the stronger people in school.

To be perfectly honest, I think I'm in the clear. I don't think I'll be attacked. Even if I was, they didn't start attacking normal students until Monday, I think. Today's Sunday, so it'll probably be alright.

Holding a firm grip on my sisters' hands, I smiled.

"It's alright, Hanae-san!" I assured her, "Sae and Sui have me, and I have Sae and Sui. We're together,so it'll be alright!" I chuckle. "Hanae-san, you look like you've had a long day, so why don't you get some rest? You deserve it."

Hanae was at a loss of words, "But- Rei-kun... I'm fine! I'm just- Rei-kun!"

I chuckled. "It'll be alright, Hanae-san!"

Seriously, I reincarnate into the anime world, and all I do is trigger flags left and right!

I rubbed the Void ring on my finger.

I'm sure you're here to be more than a decoration. So please, just, for once, save me.

-------

Just about three more turns and we get to home. That was how small a distance it was. The roads were empty and dimly lit, but the three of us were chatting and giggling. We've walked this road all the time, after all.

Then the scream was heard.

Sae and Sui grasped at me, letting out a soft shriek in surprise.

It was a guy's voice. A lot voice that was definitely in pain-- definitely in fear. It wasn't far off, and the voice seemed to be coming closer. He was running, running-- and unluckily for us, he was nearing the road we were at.

It was easy to know that this was part of the rumoured Namimori gang fights centered around Namimori Junior High.

If so, we have to escape.

I don't think they'll let witnesses go free, even if they're not targets.

"Sae, Sui," I took their hands, "We're going to run."

-------

"Heeeh," we were stopped at the next turning. "Well, look who we found!"

The girls ducked behind me quickly at the threatening presence, grasping at me tightly in fear, but they were too shocked to even scream.

Blond, spike hair-- and a scar across his nose.

Joushima Ken.

"Who are you?" Sae asked, wary.

I put a hand on my sisters' shoulders in an act of comfort, giving them a look that they knew assured them 'it was alright'.

"Oh, may I help you?" I asked, giving them a close-eyed smile. "That uniform... oh, isn't that the school from the next town over? Are you perhaps lost and need directions?" I offered, acting oblivious.

"Ken, don't just rush on ahead." A calmer voice made itself known behind us.

My grip on Sui's shoulders unintentionally tensed.

"Rei-...-chan?" she whispered, confused.

"Kaki-pii, you dealt with that guy already?" Ken sounded amused, "I thought I could get the next one myself." he chuckled.

We're fucking surrounded. Great.

I turned around, acting calmer than I felt. My smile almost felt too natural to me. "Hm?" I said, "Well, hi there. Are you lost too?"

They seem to prefer ignoring me.

"Just for clarification," Kakimoto Chikusa spoke up. "Namimori Junior High, Class 2-A, seat number 17: Ninomiya Rei." he chanted out the details as if he had memorized it all.

And that was the moment I realized just how much trouble I was in.

Kakimoto Chikusa's voice sounded sinister in this darkness, and his zestless poker face did nothing to ease that thought.

"That's you, right?" he asked.

I felt Sae clutch my arm tightly, and Sui buried her face into my back.

-----

-----

There was one way out. A narrow alley to my left and right. Thank you, anime cliche.

"You sound like a stalker!" I kept a smile on my face, chuckling slightly. "Well, I'm pretty well known, so I bet it wasn't hard to get that information. But you made it sound kinda creepy, haha!"

I put a hand on my sister's heads, rubbing it comfortingly.

"Sae, Sui." I whispered to them. Sui peeked up, and Sae inched closer. "Count to three, and both of you, run into those alleys. TakeSushi is right at the end of the next street. Go to Tsuyoshi-san's place." I whispered an order.

"Rei-chan?" Sae spoke up, her voice hushed.

Sui eyed me, a mortified look on her face.

"It'll be alright." I assured them. "Rei-chan's a Magician. Escaping from here is easy." I chuckled, "I'm almost sad I can't let you girls see it."

So please, don't give me those faces.

"What're you whispering about?" Ken spoke up, a smug, jeering grin on his face.

"Ready?" I asked.

They gave light nods in response.

One,

"Ken, if you're gonna do it, hurry up." Chikusa sounded lightly annoyed, "I don't like working overtime." he said.

Two,

"Not my fault tomorrow's target just came up early!"

Three!

The girls bolted, sprinting into alleys on opposing sides, disappearing into the darkness in seconds.

Ken and Chikusa were taken by surprise.

"Wait a- They freaking ran??" Ken yelled, "Come back here, dammit!" he wanted to run forward, but he stuck to just whining.

But Chikusa dealt with the situation calmly. "Forget it, Ken." he urged the animal, "They're not on the list, so it's a waste of time."

With a sigh from Ken, the two turned back to me.

I smiled at them.

"So, do you still need directions?" I asked.

Ken laughed at that. "Yeah, we sure do!" he said, stepping closer. "But, it's not for us."

As they came suffocatingly close to me, I felt my stomach curl up in nervousness, my heart beat a little louder, my breath strain in worry.

I gulped. I rubbed my Void Ring, running my fingers against the cold steel.

"Well, you'll be needing," Ken grinned, "Directions to the nearest hospital!"

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro