40. Dream

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

40. Dream

I opened my eyes.

A blank, empty space that resembled the Void stretched out before me. I sat in the middle of nowhere, encased in the eternal darkness that gave me a sense of peace. My knees drawn up to my chest, I thought of nothing.

I closed my eyes.

It was peaceful here. It was calm and quiet. Silent and soothing. The pain had all already dulled away, the agony I felt had long since melted off into just distant memories--

"Hey there." a girl's voice resounded across the world.

I perked up as I felt someone settle down beside me. Her body leaned against mine and her head lay on my shoulder as she slouched, her eyes closed and a small smile on her face.

If there was someone else here-- it meant that I wasn't in the Void. I was somewhere else-- somewhere-- somewhere deep, deep down in the depths of my consciousness.

I didn't need to look over to see who it was.

I rested my head on hers, and we spent a moment in silence.

------

"Hey, Rei," she spoke up again, "Why do you think we got a second chance at life?" she asked.

Ninomiya Rei could only slouch sleepily against Drew, sighing. "Who knows? Maybe Void was just bored." he suggested, his answer not supposed to be a serious one.

Drew chuckles softly.

"Why am I here?" she whispers to Rei. "Why am I here, seeing you live life that I lost?" She sounded sad, her voice was soft. her face was downcast, her eyes dropped in disappointment.

Rei takes her hand. Their fingers interlocked, the subtle warmth from Rei's body and the chilling cold of Drew's body seemed to make them both feel warm inside. It made a weight on their hearts ease, and gave them the little comfort they desperately needed at the moment.

"I need you here," Rei said. "I need you here. That's enough reason for you to stay." he tried, assuring the girl, his grasp on her tightening. "Please stay."

Drew chuckles. "How cheesy of you," she joked. She lifts their interlocked hands-- and couldn't resist one charming, beaming smile. "Thanks, Rei."

Neither wanted to let go anytime soon.

------

I wonder what's happening outside? Has the fight ended? Are they still fighting? What part of the fight are they in at the moment?

Drew suddenly jolted in surprise.

"Hm?" I hummed inquiringly at the sudden action. Drew looked up right in front of her-- nothingness-- and almost looked absorbed into the void scenery.

She grinned. "We have a visitor, Rei." she told him in a slightly excited tone.

"Visitor?" I wondered what it meant. But my question was quickly answered.

A ball of indigo flames burst into existence in front of us. It flickered and shone brightly, and like a will-o-wisp, the orb of flame lit itself, not running on fuel, burning a bright, unnatural shade.

Entranced, my hand reached out towards the orb--

But the flame quickly dissipated. It extinguished the second my fingers came into contact, as if that light brush of my fingers had rubbed away the light.

"Huh?" I had to question.

Drew leaned back on me. "Those were Mist Flames, so I guess that Mukuro tried to take over us." she determined.

Take over... us?

"Ah-" I realized, "The Possession Bullet?" I asked, remembering the name of the weapon.

Drew nodded. "But this body is battered and broken. Mukuro won't be able to use it." she explained, "He probably found out quickly, So he left as quickly as he came."

I clenched my fist.

The fight was going on out there, and here I was, chilling with Drew in a world where no harm reached me. I could tell that my body outside was running just barely, my consciousness having been absorbed into a near limbo state...

"We wouldn't be any help out there, Rei." Drew spoke up, as if reading my mind. "Our role in this arc is over." she concluded confidently, "We have no role here."

And I just sighed in agreement.

-------

------

"Are you hiding?" Drew asked, poking at the black wristband on Rei's left wrist. A cheeky smile now graced her face as she lay on her stomach, her upper body draped over my lap as she eyed the hand.

"Hiding?" I inquire, "why do you say that?"

I let her take the wristband off as she traced the birthmark with her finger.

"Ever since the day we got blasted into the future," Drew giggled at the mention of that, "You're been covering it up. Covering it up, as if you don't even want to see it anymore."

I bit my lip. Spot on. Well, she's me. Obviously, she would know.

I pulled my hand away and tucked it behind me, sighing. "Well," I started in response, "It just... hurt to see it." I admitted, turning away with a pout. "Because it was--"

Interrupting me, Drew rolled over so the back of her head lay on my lap. "Rei," she called, chuckling, "you honestly think too much!"

... "And who's fault is that??" I whined.

"Mine." Drew's answer was immediate. She smiled. "My past experiences bring to your head all those things you should never have known-- and to this day, I regret not dying peacefully instead."

"Drew, you know it wasn't your fault--"

"It was," Drew insisted. She sat up, a hand at her chest as she spoke, "That day, I didn't listen to Eve and Zen;" she said, "They kept secrets from me, but I didn't trust my brothers enough to put my faith in their decisions; I did not honour and respect them enough to understand them without words; I was blinded by stubbornness, and that was the one mistake I learned from in my previous life."

What she said was making my heart hurt. I felt like little arrows were tearing at my heart, causing a distant throe in my chest. The back of my eyes burned, and I know I was close to tears.

Drew smiled the whole time, but I knew that smile.

Drew was never good at faking her expressions. Her lips were curled only slightly upwards in a small, thin line-- but her eyes were pained and her eyebrows were scrunched up in tension--

"Eve and Zen tried to protect me that day. And I want to believe that my death doesn't change the love I have for my brothers." Drew continued, "Even after death, the regrets I hold can only be let go and forgotten. There is no longer a point in crushing myself with blame and hate. All I am able to do now is..."

Drew's voice fell short.

She bit her lip hard and clenched her fists tightly. She looked down, her eyes shut tight and her breath held. She stayed like that for three long seconds--

Then she looked up, the corners of her eyes red and teary, but tears weren't spilling just yet. She flashed me a close-eyed smile, a smile on her face.

"All I can do now is forgive and forget." she managed to finish her sentence.

I felt my heart fall in a sense of doom. Drew. No, Drew. no. Please, don't say that.

"That's why," Drew continued again, eyeing me with a soft, motherly expression, "You have to live on, Rei," her smile was a sweet, sweet one, "Live on, and become the greatest brother ever!"

Drew's smile was a beautiful one. It was flawless, perfect, bright and beaming. It was a charming smile she always flashed at the crowd-- but it didn't last long.

I could see through it. I could see her face clearly, under the thick, thick clown mask she trained her whole life to wear. I could see it break down to reveal the face beneath.

A smile so sad; so broken; so shattered-- I felt my heart clench painfully.

A single tear dripped down her cheek.

She stood up and stepped away from me, keeping her distance. I eyed that action curiously-- why did she walk away?

She raised a hand, as if in a greeting.

"Stay Alive, Rei," she joked, "until we meet again."

------

------

My hands clenched on the pure white sheets tightly. My breathing was slightly ragged from the sudden awakening, but it was easily gained back.

When my eyes regained their focus, overly familiar light blue ceilings greeted me.

I could hear the faint, irritating beep of a heart monitor somewhere.

There were about three IVs in my left hand-- and one of them was a blood transfusion. There was a breathing mask over my face as well, and I could feel a little sweat stick to the back of my head.

My whole body was numb.

I felt no physical pain, but the tears I felt falling from the corners of my eyes were real.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro