66. Dread

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

66. Dread

(POV: Rei)

It was night time. In the hour of the ox, Drew would've called it. I stayed up late, unable to sleep. Sitting down on the sofa with a mug of hot chocolate, I stared at nothing for a long while.

It was boring now, with Tsuna and gang ahead in the future.

I let out a cough. It led to a long bout of coughing-- quickly, I got up and headed towards the kitchen. Pulling open the third cabinet from the left of the sink, I took out my bottle of pills.

Downing my pills as quickly as I could, I let out another bout of coughs before I stopped.

"Rei-chan?"

I jumped.

Tucking the pills behind my back, I spun around to see Sae and Sui, one of them hugging a purple caterpillar pillow in her arms and the other rubbing her eyes tiredly.

"Goodness, what are the two of you doing up so late?" rushing over and casually leaving the bottle by the sink, I ushered my girls back to bed.

I didn't catch Sui glancing at the bottle.

-

-

"Sorry to say but your condition really isn't looking well." Amano said grimly, not once meeting my eyes in few of seeing my reactions-- "The medicine we've given you has been helping, but honestly speaking I'm not so sure if we can keep helping you."

It's been ages since I've had to come so close to the reality that I was a sickly person.

"Not saying this to be mean or insensitive--" Kunomasu spoke up, "You should really consider recuperating indefinitely in the hospital."

At that-- I could do nothing but look down, grip my knees, and bite my lip.

-

-

"Hey, Rei-chan?"

I was simply staring at the ceiling, unable to get a wink of rest-- when Sui spoke up beside me. Snuggling close to my side, her eyes were open, but droopy in a sort of sulky way.

Sae was asleep, curled over her purple caterpillar body pillow-- and it seemed nothing could wake her up now. Rolling over to face Sui, I let myself smile.

"What is it, Sui?" I asked.

"Rei-chan, are you going to leave?" her question made my heart stop, "Will you leave Sui and Sae alone again?"

I could only manage a strained chuckle. "Of course not," I denied, "Why would I?"

I wonder what was the best answer I could have said at the time?

"I love the both of you, Sui." I gave her a peck on the forehead, running my fingers through her long hair-- "More than anything else in this world."

I didn't realize Sae was awake.

-

-

"Ninomiya-kun, if you won't be serious, I would ask you to leave for the day." 

Hearing that from the Drama Club adviser was a first, and emotionally it was a very sharp blow. I took pride in being the star of the Drama Club-- and yet, here I was, getting reprimanded for the first time since I've joined.

I, of all other members.

"Take a break out back," she reprimanded sharply, "and come back out when you're into this."

Biting my bottom lip, I didn't respond. I simply turned away and stomped my way to the side of the hall where the benches were.  

I stayed there until club activities ended.

A sigh escaped my lips. My condition isn't looking well; my focus is disrupted even in club activities; and worst of all Tsuna and Takeshi weren't around. It was much less lively around the area, and it didn't serve much help for my slumps.

"Hey, what're we gonna do?" 

"Oh no, he's really depressed."

"Irritated, more like."

"Where's Yamamoto when you need him? Someone do something!"

I let out a cough, then another. Scowling at the natural reaction, I held myself back from getting needlessly irritated by myself.

Sighing, I stood up, took my bag and headed out of the hall.

-

-

"Ninomiya-kun, Amano-sensei is waiting for you out back." the ER Nurse Fujimiya called for me.

"Well, he better be," I chuckled jokingly, "He's the one that called me out."

The automatic doors opened, and as per a habitual action I went past the doors. My expressions fell sour the moment I dropped my smile-- 

I bumped into a larger figure. Staggering backwards and losing my balance, a hand reached out to take mine and hold me steady before I could fall.

"Woah-! Are you alright?" the gruff voice called worriedly.

Huh, this seems unnaturally familliar--

"I'm alright--" I spoke, "Wait, Ryohei-san?"

"Eh?" he was taken aback as well, "Ninomiya?"

-

"So you came for a sprain?" I couldn't help chuckling at that- but to my surprise I couldn't make myself sound any happier. "Ryohei-san, you really get hurt often, don't you?"

Ryohei was silent for a moment. None of his usual boisterous reactions around-- he had that rare serious face on him. "I was looking for Kyoko," he admitted, "And Sawada and the others too."

Ah, he must be worried.

His little sister and younger brother figure went missing one after another, after all. And unlike me, he doesn't know the reason.

His worries are on a different par from mine.

"That aside, what about you?" Ryohei spoke up to me, "Why are you here? You don't seem all that bad today."

His warm, brotherly instincts-- they were comforting. Much like his role in the family, he was the bright, hot sun that warms my heart from its worries. 

"I'm here for a checkup." I was telling him the truth before I knew it, "My condition's been worsening and I'm not getting better anytime soon." 

He snapped his head up in alarm-- but I kept my head down to avoid looking at him. I was afraid to see his expressions-- I was afraid I would hesitate.

"Kuma-sensei and Amano-san have told me the same." I managed a small smile, "They're asking me to say in the hospital as a resident."

"What-" he stuttered, "What about your sisters?"

At that, I chuckled and waved dismissively, "I'm not gonna stay, really!" I denied, "Ever since I was young, I've been told that my sickness can't be cured. I'll take this condition with me to my grave. I'm planning on living my life short and sweet, with no regrets."

Ryohei let out a tut, "Ninomiya," his voice was deep and stern, "Are you going to make your sisters cry again?"

"Rei-chan, are you going to leave? Will you leave Sui and Sae alone again?"  

I felt like more than my voice was stuck in my throat. I didn't know if my heart was functioning, but my stomach dropped in dread and something stung at the back of my eyes.

"I'm going to look for Yamamoto." he told me, "Come with me too, after your checkup." Ryohei left with a reassuring pat on the shoulder, but I couldn't respond.

I barely registered those words.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro