24-Ties That Bind

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Calina
༛༛ ༛ ༛༺♔༻༛ ༛ ༛༛

In a secluded corner of the library, I stumbled upon a hidden chamber filled with ancient texts on diplomacy, alliances, and the laws of the universe. A renewed sense of energy coursed through me when I discover this little room. Surely, it held the answers I needed to solve my Henry problem. The entrance to this secretive enclave was cunningly concealed by a holographic projection that mimicked the appearance of an unremarkable bookshelf. The effort put into hiding the room intrigued me. Surely the room must hold interesting secrets.

The centerpiece of the secluded corner was an ornate, antique wooden table, polished to a gleaming shine. On the surface was a collection of precious manuscripts, carefully preserved under glass cases. These texts were not ordinary books found elsewhere in the library; they were the oldest, most esoteric writings from civilizations that had long faded into history. There were even books written by Queen Ariadne herself.

It was an impressive collection of scrolls written in elegant calligraphy, ancient tablets etched with cuneiform, and delicate parchments adorned with illustrations of long-lost worlds. Some texts were written in languages that were no longer spoken, and others contained complex symbols that.

Night turned into day a few times as I lost myself in the knowledge contained within those ancient pages. I only left the library long enough to shower. Food appeared on the desk, brought in by various staff members, as I scribbled notes, formulated plans, and crafted arguments, all in an effort to present my case to the queen. It was in no way a strong case. Despite my tireless efforts, nothing had surfaced to invalidate this unwanted marriage that loomed over my future.

Over three weeks ago, Henry promised he would show me the hard copy of our marital contract. Supposedly, he was having a hard time getting it because I didn't have the clearance. I didn't know Henry very well, but I did sense that he wasn't being truthful.

The only person who could legally call off the engagement was Henry. We all knew that would never happen. He had won his prize, and for some foolish reason, he thought it was me.

I wouldn't give up that easily. Maybe a computer could further my research. Only problem, I hadn't been able to find one yet. What the hell kind of library didn't have a computer?

"It's the year 2488, for fuck's sake!" My voice echoed through the vast library.

Heart racing, I slammed my open palms against the solid oak table. The pain that stung in my palms was entirely too compact for the release I needed.

I needed a punching bag. I needed my parents. I was so mad at my father, and I had absolutely no right to be; he was tricked.

The chaos that now engulfed my life was a consequence of my own actions. They were dead because of me. A sinking feeling started in my chest, dropping straight through my stomach. I shouldn't have gotten a passport.

They shouldn't have been driving their car at three in the morning. It was my turn to visit them, but I just had to take that spontaneous trip to the Kingdom of Elysium. I was too tired to make the drive to see them. That was my mild excuse. Really, I was just being lazy. My parents would still be here if it weren't for me, and my life wouldn't be a complete mess.

The guilt slipped into my veins like a live wire, shocking me so much I felt paralyzed.
I dropped my head on the desk, the cool wood against my forehead was nice against my heated skin.

Inhale.

I usually only cried for them at night.

Exhale.

When I was alone in my bed.

Inhale.

During the day, I pretended I was okay. Always okay.

Exhale.

Lifting my head off the desk, I focused on the dust specks dancing in the sunbeams that shone through the vaulted mosaic windows. Little by little, my racing heart found its rhythm.

This room was easily my favorite in the entire castle. The entrance to this cherished space was adorned with heavy, white wooden doors featuring elegant frosted glass panel windows. The arched ceilings were covered in murals. Each mural was a masterpiece in itself, depicting historical battles that had shaped the destiny of our realm. One portrayed the heart-wrenching battle in North Macedonia, where Ariadne's father fought courageously but tragically lost his life. The other depicted the triumphant conclusion of the Greecian war in Albania, a pivotal moment in our nation's history.

Slate grey stone columns throughout the room had curlicue gold crown molding. The slate grey shelves built into the wall were stacked with ancient books, their colorful spines stood out like vibrant strokes of an artist's brush.

The spiral staircase, a marvel of craftsmanship, stood as the true showstopper in the center of the vast room. Its golden spiral railing winded gracefully upwards, drawing the eye to the mezzanine that seemed to defy gravity as it floated delicately over the lower level. More ancient books lined the shelves on the wall of the second story. There were long wooden desks, and comfortable lounge chairs too.

Still, what I hadn't found in this room was any technology. I couldn't find any panels on the wall to initiate the AI either. If I did I'd ask it to locate a computer for me. I felt stuck in my search; there was most likely an entire room dedicated to electronics.

I'd ask my bodyguard, but then he would have to inform the queen about what I was up to, and she was frequently and adamantly telling me to stop searching. She feared ending the engagement would start a war. I felt like if I could renegotiate the contract to help Romarvia without a marriage, then it would solve all of my problems.

If Ira were here, I'd ask him to help me, but he was away helping his ailing mother find a new nurse. Ira was the only person I could trust. The only one that didn't report back to the Queen. And I trusted Alice.

"Oh shit! Alice!" I could ask her to help me.

"Yes?"

I screeched, leaping across the table and away from the threat. An embarrassed smile replaced my shock. My tense muscles immediately relaxed when my brain registered it was Alice.

She held up her hands, palms up, before dipping into a deep curtsy. "I'm so sorry! I did not mean to scare you."
Alice giggled into her hand, shaking her head. "You scared me. Princess, what is going on in that head?"

I laughed lightly. "I... you freaked me out because I was just thinking about you, and then you appeared like an apparition. What are you doing here?"

"I haven't seen you in five days. You're never in the amethysts wing when I'm working. I wanted to see you before I resigned to my room for the night. I hope that's okay."

I was stressed, and my emotions had been all over the place. Seeing a friendly face was exactly what my broken soul needed. Nodding my head, I quickly clue her in to my computer dilemma.

"Why doesn't the queen's advisory help you with this?" Alice asked, looping her arm through mine. She pulled me deeper into the library and up the wide spiral stairs. My fingertips brushing against the golden banister while we ascended.

"The queen's advisory doesn't know I exist yet, and Queen Ekko has asked me to stop trying to end the marriage."

Her big, bright blue eyes settle on me with a pensive look. "I really don't think the marriage will be as awful as you think, Callie. Prince Henry adores you. Anyone with eyes can see that, plus he's kind of dreamy."

With a simper, I bumped my shoulder against hers and declare, "King Knox is dreamy. Henry is just cute."

A low, amused chuckle made us turn in surprise. Alice gasped and slapped a hand over her mouth to stop her giggles, taking several steps away from me.

Sir Emilio was halfway up the spiral stairs, a gentle smile on his handsome face.

"Princess, I'm so glad I found you."
He bowed at the waist once he was on the landing of the stairs.

I held his gaze briefly in surprise. I thought he and Knox left days ago.
I glanced behind me; Alice was standing beside a bookshelf, pretending to dust it.

"Alice, what are you doing?"

Her gaze flickered to Emilio before she looked at me. "A princess and a maid are not to fraternize in front of guests," she whispered in Greek.

"She's right. Her stature is many, many ranks below you." His tone was light, but it still infuriated me. Alice lived in this castle too; shouldn't she feel welcome in her home? If the guests didn't like who I associated with, then they were not welcome.

"Alice is my friend. I'm not ashamed of that. If you don't like it, you can leave the library."

He held his hands up in mock surrender, a tiny smirk tilted his lips.
"No problems here." He offered his hand to Alice. "I'm Emilio. Any friend of Callie's is a friend of mine."

She placed her hand in his delicately. Her eyelids fluttered rapidly, and a pink blush spread across her cheeks. I chuckled and anxiously drummed my fingers on my thigh.

Emilio and I clicked instantly on the jet back to Greecia. He was warm and kind and laughed easily, but I wouldn't let anyone use their rank to make my friends feel less than.

"What brings you here, Emilio?"

"Do you remember me telling you about the clone movie that's set to release in two months?"

An enthusiastic smile split my lips.

"I have the link only a select few are privy to. I know you're a fellow enthusiast, so I wondered if you wanted to see it. Maybe you could join us, Alice?" He gave her a flirty look, and right on cue, her fair skin turned a darker shade of pink. She had to have been the fairest skinned Greek I had ever met. The tan Elysanos hunk would have a field day at making her blush.

"Umm...I... if that's okay with you, Callie."

"Yeah, of course. First, if you could show me where I can find a computer, though."

"Oh, yeah," Alice said, walking over to a long sage-colored, U-shaped desk and opening a drawer. "Here it is, the nanocomputer," she stated, holding up a cubed box then setting it on the desktop.

"It's incredible," I marveled, my fingers lightly traced the sleek surface of the nanocomputer. "We don't have anything like this in Freedom. Okay, you're going to have to explain this to me like I'm feeble-minded, please." I held the red cube in my palm with my nose wrinkled.

With a giggle, Alice plucked it from my palm, placing the cube back on the desktop and waving a hand over the top. Then she spread her fingers on the desk in front of her, and a holographic keyboard appeared under her palms. She typed "kitten videos" in the floating search engine.

Holographic videos from the internet appeared in the air above the box. The images were crystal clear, the way it would appear on a screen. I touched one video, thinking my hand would go through the hologram, but instead, it played.

"Wow, that's cool. I've seen something like this on TV. We don't have this type of technology in Freedom," I exclaimed with excitement and a bit of fascination in my voice.

"Why do you like Freedom so much?" Emilio inquired. "I'd go insane without the help that technology gives humanity. Your old country is decades maybe centuries behind in technology; it's crippling the economy there. I mean, people there still drive their own cars, right?" Emilio's question drew my attention away from the holographic display. He casually leaned against the bookshelf, curiosity shining in his eyes.

I pondered Emilio's question for a moment, reflecting on the deep connection I felt towards my homeland.
"It's complicated. I love Freedom because it's a place of tradition, simplicity, and natural beauty. We don't rely heavily on technology like the outside world does. Instead, we cherish our customs and the serenity of a life without constant distractions." I loved it because it was where all of my memories with my family were. I couldn't voice that tender side of why I missed Freedom. I didn't want to see any pity in his eyes.

"I take it you, Rog-uh... Liberated don't have phones like this?" He opened his hand, palm up, and a rectangle the size of a phone appeared in his hand. I was standing in front of him, and from my view, the rectangle appeared opaque. When I stepped beside him, the holographic rectangle looked just like a regular phone, complete with apps and a user interface.

"How do you talk on something like that? It'd look a bit silly putting your palm to your ear, no?"

Emilio chuckled, tapping his temple. "It picks up on brain wave interference. All I have to do is answer, and I can hear the receiver in my mind." He lifted the sleeve of his fawn-colored shirt, and a thin black band was around his wrist. "It links with my pulse and picks up only my brainwaves that way no one else can hear my conversations."

I wrinkled my nose and looked over at Alice. "That's freaky. Do you have a phone like that too?"

"No, that is only common for the Elysanos. They are the most technologically advanced culture. Our phones are more advanced than Libs. You've seen mine," Alice said with a shrug. I nod, grabbing a chair next to Alice and settling in.

Freedom might have been a very poor country, but no matter what, it would always be home to me.

After Emilio and Alice spent half an hour teaching me how to use the nanocomputer, we all gathered on the oversized sofa in the movie center room to indulge in the wonders of Xerox species. The holographic display projected vivid and lifelike images, drawing us into the thrilling adventures unfolding on the screen. The cutting-edge technology heightened the experience, making it all the more extraordinary.

As we laughed, gorged ourselves with junk food, and cheered together, time seemed to slip away, completely engrossed in the cinematic journey. The movies continued to captivate our attention, and amidst the entertainment, I couldn't help but appreciate the allure of the advanced technology here in United Greecia. While I cherished the simplicity and familiarity of Freedom, the exhilarating experiences offered by these technological wonders were unparalleled. It dawned on me that there was so much more to explore, to learn, and to enjoy beyond the confines of my homeland.

One movie turned into two, and two turned into a movie marathon that lasted well into the night. The bond between the three of us grew stronger with each passing moment, as we discovered a shared passion for storytelling and the magic of cinema. It was honestly the most fun I've had in a very long time.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro