36. My dearest moralist

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Hello my lovely readers! Here's the second chapter of the day!

Enjoy!

36. My dearest moralist

I wake up in a soft bed, huddled in the covers, I can feel the gentle warmth of sunlight coming from the gap in the window curtains.

I sigh in comfort and make myself easy against this horribly stiff pillow, the blanket absurdly heavy around my waist.

Wait, what?

My eyes open and I almost scream my lungs out when I see the living being next to me.

Holy mother of ducks! What in the bloody hell—

My eyes travel up and find a familiar face.

Oh.

My shoulders relax and I let out a breath of relief, the events of last night come back to me.

Curiously, I watch his face perfectly relaxed. His features slack of the usual rigidity, lips slightly parted and hair falling into his eyes. He looks almost cute.

Strange as it is, I’ve never seen Luke relax. Not even once. Not even during the times I was keeping watch and he was sleeping.

A small smile tugs at my lips. Luke may complain all he want about these breaks but he sure is enjoying his sleep. It’ll do him good, to take it a little easy.

How can he take it easy when his life literally depends on winning this Hunt?

Without wanting to, my mind wanders to how Luke must’ve dealt with all this since the age of 11, just a child, being told that he might become a monster.

I sigh. Its too early for thoughts like this. Unthinking, I move my hand to brush away the hair falling in his eyes. I hold back a squeal, I really do need to ask him what he uses to keep it so soft.

The next moment all my thoughts go out of the window when his hold on me tightens abruptly, his eyes snap open, pupils dilated to tell me he’s gone into survival mode.

I slowly retreat my hand with an apologetic smile. Luke lets out a breath, the tension in his frame leaves and his eyes fall shut again.

“Sorry,” I say softly “I didn’t mean to wake you.”

Luke give the barest shake of his head “Don’t apologize,”

I furrow my brows in confusion “I didn’t wake you?”

“You did,”

Surprisingly, he offers me a sleepy smile, eyes open just enough to give a glance of the darkest blue.

“But you never have to apologize to me,” Luke says

A small chuckle leaves my mouth “Even when I annoy you with all my rambling?”

His smile deepens “Specially then.”

“Don’t back out later,” I grin

Luke brushes his knuckles across my cheek, making my heart skid to a halt “I’m a man of my words.”

The door knocks, I jump ten meters away from Luke— and right off the bed.

“Ouch!”

I get up, rubbing my aching behind. Luke throws me a faint, amused smile before moving to the door.

When he swings it open, I see the permanent tension slam right back in his frame.

Furrowing my brows, I go over and peek from behind him. Familiar crystal blue eyes meet mine my own.

“Good morning,” Ethan gives me a smile

“Morning,” I smile back “Is everything okay?”

“That’s what I wanted to ask,” Ethan’s gaze flickers to Luke for one quick moment, but Luke notices it, he notices alright

“You don’t have to worry about her, Parks.” Luke says, every word low, hard, precise “I am here for that.”

Ethan holds his stormy gaze, his own steely.

“That is exactly what I’m worried about, Winters.”

I can almost feel the air charge with tension. My eyes flicker between them, unsure of what to do. Think Elise! Before they pounce to kill each other. 

“Everything’s okay, Ethan.” I being with a smile and a cheery tone “Luke was kind enough to keep my company for the night.”

Ethan gives me a slow nod, but his unwavering gaze stays on Luke. Crap!

“Umm, Luke, why don’t you leave for your own room?” I say, trying to unfurl his fisted hand “I’d like to get dressed for the day.”

Luke keeps his stormy gaze on Ethan, then he takes a breath, his fist unfurls and he turns to look at me.

“Take your time,” Luke says, giving my hand a momentary squeeze before he goes out of the door

But of course, Alphas have to act like Alphas and he bumps his shoulder against Ethan’s on his way out. Ethan’s jaw clenches, but he keeps a hold on himself.

“Did anyone come again?” he asks me, fairly calm now

“No,” I shake my head “everything was fine.”

I keep my gaze on him for a few moments, telling myself I should not say what I what to say but I still do;

“Ethan, as much as I appreciate your concern for me,” I say, choosing my words “I’ve been staying with Luke for over a month, he’s the safest person for me to be around.”

Ethan seems taken aback by my words. He blinks, hesitates for a moment, then shakes his head.

“I understand,” He says “It’s just, a lot of rumors surround your partner. Its hard to ignore them all.”

Curiosity tugs at my head, but I hold it back.

“Its okay,” I say “I’ll see you around?”
Ethan gives me his usual composed smile “Until then.”

I close my door and lean against it with a breath of relief. Elise: one, immature Alphas: zero.  

Whistling, I pull the curtains aside, make my bed and take a long shower.

When I come out of the bathroom, I see Clary already waiting to help me dress up for the day. I fiddle with the material of my dark blue gown while she fusses over my hair.

Should I ask her about the incident last night?

“Goddess, this isn’t the one either,” Clary says, comparing two necklaces

With an internal sigh, I realize I cant trust her with this kind of questioning. So I put the brooding aside and pay attention to her irritated expression.

“Why are you so worried?” I say as I take one of the two chains she was holding, I put it around my neck and smile at my reflection “It’s just jewelry. Not like it matters so much.”

“I'm just a bit antsy,” She says with a sigh

“Why?” My mind conjures up the worst

“There’s a party this evening!” Clary says

I raise an eyebrow “Party?”

Clary nods enthusiastically “Yeah, my whole pack will be there and so will all of you guys. It’ll be awesome!”

I nod at her, feeling excited by just the mention of a party. Well, I haven’t been to a lot of parties, but as long as this offers good food, I’m up for it.

Once dressed up, I go to Luke’s room. I knock once, twice. He doesn’t answer. I cack open the door and peck inside. His room is pretty much like mine but he’s not here.

Furrowing my brows, I step away and close the door. Where could he be?

“You seem lost.”

I look sideways to come face to face with Ethan, he offers me a greeting smile.

“No, just looking around.” I say

“Mind if I join you?” He asks

“Not at all,” I take the arm he offers me and we start walking

“I guess you heard of the party in the evening,” Ethan says, taking in my dressing in a quick glance

“I’m guessing you did as well,” I say
Honestly, this type of clothing suits him. with his golden hair and crystal blue eyes, Ethan does look like some Duke. I cant help but chuckle at the thought.

“What?” he asks me

“Nothing,” I shake my head with a smile “You just seem perfect for a play like this.”

“Your prince in a shining armor?”

“A rakish Duke.”

Ethan laughs, his eyes shine with amusement “I’m jealous of Luke, really. You must make for a very lively companion.”

“That I am,” I grin brightly

I didn’t realize when I took Ethan to the gardens but, well, I wont complain. I can spend my whole day here. We walk around, telling stories of incidents on this Hunt when he brings up something I wish he hadn’t.

“At the other lodge,” Ethan says, his tone careful “You said its not possible for us to know each other after the Hunt. What did you mean by that?”

I stay quiet for a moment, keeping my eyes on the rows of tulips in front of me.

I’m not ashamed of what I did, I never will be. But I still haven’t prepared myself for everyone’s reactions when the news leaks out. Things like this never stay hidden.

Then why bother hiding them anyway?

“You know my pack didn’t want me to be Luke’s partner?” I say, he nods “Well, I didn’t want to be his partner either.”

“Of course, that’s reasonable—

“No,” I cut him off calmly “I didn’t want to go with him for nothing.”

“What?” Ethan furrows his brows

“I… got a contract,” I pause, shrug “It says that if Luke wins this Hunt, the pack will let me and my mom go free without severing our connect.”

Silence descends on us, I brace myself for the judgment that’s about to come. The judgment that will come again and again in the future.

Before Ethan could say anything, I turn around and give him a small smile.

“I guess I ruined your impression of myself.”

“I, I don’t know what to say.” Ethan says, his features slack

“Maybe that’s for the best,” I continue “Not saying anything. I don’t know what you might be thinking about me, but I’m done waiting for someone to come and save me from life time slavery.” 

I turn around and halt in my steps. A few yards away, at the top of the stairs leading to the garden is standing a tall, austere figure, eating me up with his stormy blue gaze.

“Done gallivanting around, Hazel?” Luke asks as I stop just in front of him, an edge to his voice

I raise an eyebrow “What crawled up your behind?”

Luke looks at someone behind me, his eyes flash dangerously and I realize just who he’s looking at. Then he takes me by the arm and taking fast steps, leading me somewhere in the maze of hallways.

“Luke, what is wrong with you?” I say as I pull my arm away from him

“There’s nothing wrong with me,” Luke snaps “What is wrong with you? He’s our competitor, not a suitor trying to woo you.”

“Ethan is my friend,” I narrow my eyes “And I have no idea why you act like a total asshole when he’s around.”

“I do no such thing.”

“Really?” I scoff and cross my arms “Maybe you should take your time and think about it.”

I turn around, ready to go and eat something to cheer myself up. Alphas. They are beyond me.

“Don’t you want to know who it was last night?”

That secures my interest, I halt in my steps and look over my shoulder “Did you find anything?”

“No,” Luke crosses his arms “But we did lose something.”

“What?” I turn to face him again

“The map.”

My eyes widen “You mean…”

He gives me a curt nod “While we were in your room last night, someone took that map from my room. Maybe that was the plot all along.”

“Oh my moon, we should tell Mr. Stone.” I say “He can tell the Alpha Supreme—

“No.”

“Why the hell not?” I blink

“We have no proof that someone took it,” Luke says “And I don’t want to expose our vulnerability to anyone just yet.”

“Then what?”

“What were you talking to Parks about?”

“Seriously?” I give him a look “I know you don’t like Ethan but this is too much.”

Luke gives me an offended glance “I told you I don’t care about anything related to him. Did he tell if they still have their map?”

“We didn’t talk about maps.”

“Then do,” Luke says, I wonder if I’m imagining the hardness in his voice “Do that thing you do when you talk too smoothly and get out valuable information.”

I cross my arms “And if they still have their map?”

“Then our criminal tendencies will have to do.”

“You will steal it?” My mouth hangs open

“No.”

I let out a breath of relief.
“It might as well be you.”

I stomp on his foot. Luke shows no hint of pain except for the momentary closing of his eyes.

“If you don’t remember, my dearest moralist,” Luke says tautly “Winning this Hunt is what’s getting you freedom and me peace. Without a map, we should kiss them goodbye.”

I worry my bottom lip, my brain running a thousand miles per second. I cannot believe I’m using my awesome mind for something like this but…

I didn’t come this far for nothing.

Finally, I say “I have a better idea.”

Please comment and vote!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro