Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Then suddenly Hunter was running and running and running as fast as he could. He needed to get to Tech before it was too late. He spotted Tech ahead and shouted, "Tech!"

Tech turned, wearing a curious smile on his lips. "Hunter? What are you doing here?"

Hunter put a hand on Tech's shoulder, grimacing. "I have some bad news."

Tech's expression crumpled as he heard what Hunter had to say, shoulders slumping. "This cannot be true."

"It is." Hunter nodded, feeling his chest tighten in sympathy for his brother. "I'm truly sorry."

Tech's jaw flexed and his hands balled into fists. "How? This isn't logical. It's impossible for..."

Hunter's eyebrows pulled together. "What?"

Tech sighed. "It makes sense now. What I found in her bag."

Hunter ran a hand through his hair. "What did you find in-"

"Amelia, we will be leaving for our mission briefing now," Tech murmured as Amelia slowly woke. "Apologies for waking you, but I thought it best to let you know before you find yourself alone."

Amelia yawned, sitting upright in the chair. "Thank you for letting me know, Tech."

He paused before he said, "Your eyelids were twitching. Were you having an unpleasant dream?"

"I don't remember," Amelia lied. She rubbed at her eyes. "Have the others left yet?"

"I'm not going." Crosshair glanced up from the armour in his grasp. "I need to patch some of this up."

"Would you mind if I asked you some questions?" Amelia asked, crossing her legs. "It's for my report."

Crosshair shrugged. "Whatever."

"Great." Amelia pulled out her datapad, opening her notes. "Let's begin with your goals. What do you wish for in life?"

"I live to serve," Crosshair blandly said, returning his attention to the plastoid in his hands. "The Republic is my life."

Amelia jotted it down, stopping to study his face. "And how does your tattoo serve the Republic?"

Crosshair's fingers hovered over his vambrace. "What?"

"You heard me." Amelia pushed her glasses up her nose. "It's a simple question, too. Do you want me to explain it?"

"I understood it." Crosshair stood up, leering over her. "Why do you think you have the right to ask about that?"

"Tattoos are against uniform regulations," Amelia reminded him, not faltering in the slightest. "You just said you were loyal to the Republic. Where is this loyalty now?"

"Does this make you feel better about yourself?" Crosshair hissed. "Do you like demeaning clones? Does it make you feel smart and important?"

Amelia blinked before her lips twisted in a wry smile. "Is that why you have your tattoo? To feel smart and important?"

Crosshair began to pace, hands fidgeting at his sides. "Don't reverse the question! You can't just-"

"Is it the lack of control in your life that made you get it?" Amelia inquired. When he didn't respond, her grin widened until she was showing her teeth. "Ah. You got it to feel in control of your life."

Crosshair glowered at her, fury radiating from him. He spat out, "You don't know anything."

"You're not denying anything." Amelia stretched out her legs. She got to her feet and went over to her bag of belongings. "And I think we're finished here. Why don't you go get some fresh air? You look like you need it."

"You-" Crosshair cut himself off before he said something he regretted. "I hope you know how much you're hated."

Amelia didn't bother to reply.

She heard his footsteps as he left the ship, and she let out a heavy breath. She took no joy in it, but it needed to be done for her report.

Okay, maybe she took a little joy from it.

Amelia settled next to her bag, crossing her legs. She closed her eyes and tried to push away the visions she had in her sleep.

No. They weren't visions. They were just dreams.

Just dreams that she could ignore. And nothing even happened in her dream. It was just people talking.

But just to reassure herself that it was still there she reached into her bag. Amelia's fingers brushed it at the bottom of the bag and she felt the weight lifted off her chest.

"Amelia?" Tech's voice caused her to flinch. "We have returned."

"So soon?" Amelia retracted her hand and closed the bag. 

Tech stepped into her view. He had unknown jars in his arms. "Hunter and Wrecker are still there. I wanted to give you this."

He knelt next to her and handed her the containers of what turned out to be paint. Amelia tilted her head and asked, "What's this for?"

"Your armour. It's a tradition in the GAR to paint it. It makes us... unique, even though we all look the same. I know you hate us being different from each other, but I thought it would be nice." Tech smiled shyly.

Amelia frowned, examine the paint. "You think I hate you all being different?"

"Well, you ask us questions that suggest as much in the interviews for your report." Tech drummed his fingers along his thigh. "Am I incorrect?"

"You think I want you to all be the same?" Amelia bitterly laughed. "I don't want to decommission anybody. I interview and ask you those personal questions to prove you have a personality! I do it to prove you're people! If my report proves you're not just another soldier, I can save your lives!"

Tech suddenly felt guilty for insulting her all those times. She had wanted to help them all along, not to decommission them. "How... How many of your assignments have been decommissioned?"

"None." Amelia pursed her lips. "But thank you for thinking so highly of me."

Tech let silence fill the room for a minute. He eventually cleared his throat. "I apologize. I will get you some paintbrushes and leave you to work."

"Can you fix my datapad please?" Amelia requested once Tech returned with the brushes. "You don't have to, but I need it to update my supervisor."

"Of course." Tech held out his hand, inclining his head. "Think of it as my apology for having such a low opinion of you."

Amelia gave him a grateful look as she forked over the datapad. "The spare part is in my bag."

Tech nodded and opened the bag, rummaging through it before he found a piece of metal, he pulled it out, confused at the strange device. This wasn't a transmitter.

"Find it yet?" Amelia had her back to him as she opened the jars of paint.

Tech swallowed at places it back, searching again until he found the part he needed. "Yes."

"Great. Thanks a lot, Tech." Amelia ran a stroke over the chestplate of her armour. "And don't expect anything too artistic from this."

Tech let out a chuckle. "Don't worry. Wrecker also felt that way, but he looks perfectly fine."

He got to work on the datapad, quickly replacing the part. He was proud of his work when he gave it back to her, announcing his completion.

"Wow, that was faster than I thought I would be," Amelia remarked, turning it on. 

Tech's face flushed at the praise and he shrugged, pretending it didn't phase him. "It was really no trouble at all."

Amelia grinned at him, and his stomach did a weird fluttering.

Odd.

"What do you think?" she asked as she held up her work for him to see.

He examined it, adjusting his goggles. "I see you're fond of the colour red."

Amelia ran her tongue over her teeth. "I guess you're right."

It still had its original white, but with streaks of red. It was bolder than she had anticipated, but she rather liked the overall design.

Hunter stepped onto the ship, movements weary. "We all need to talk."

"I'll leave you alone then." Amelia began to gather her things.

Hunter put a hand up. "I want you here for this."

Amelia leaned back, forehead creasing in concern. "Is something wrong?"

Hunter sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "No. Yes. I mean- We have a big mission coming up. We're dropping off the radar completely. That means no contact with anyone who's not in this squad."

"I'll change the ship's signature," Tech declared, hurrying away.

"Why did you want me here for this?" Amelia cocked her head, glasses sliding down her nose.

"Because this is going to be dangerous. Even more than the usual. This is your only chance to drop out before it's too late." Hunter was serious, eyes dark. "Your report isn't worth your life."

It is, but not in the way you think.

Amelia pushed the thought away, lasting a smile on her face. "I'll be fine. Thank you for offering, though."

"Wow, nice armour," Wrecker complimented, staring down it.

"Tech helped me." Amelia brushed her fingers along it. "I think I like it."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro