Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

A sitting room was the first she was aquatinted with.

Fluffy cream rugs, gold trimmed walls and glass coffee tables.

It was modern but classy and sophisticated at the same time.

It also had a shockingly warm and cozy feel to it.

It was lit nicely by the enormous windows showcasing the stunning front garden.

And there was a fireplace which seemed more for show considering the weather was always supposedly warm in Erridan.

But to Tempest, the room felt cold and unfamiliar.

The two strangers on the sofa opposite her she had already made an opinion on.

Fakes. Liars. And awful parents that couldn't even send a servant looking for their 'lost daughter'.

"You're beautiful. I can't believe you're really here." Esme's voice cracks as another round of fresh tears stream down her blush tinted cheeks.

Maybe she could give me some lessons on fake crying. I might need it, Tempest mentally rolls her eyes.

"Let's skip the dramatics. What do you suppose happened to me as a child?" Tempest drones, reclining back in her seat and getting comfortable.

They share a sickening look of concern before turning back towards their daughter.

"Angels have a special connection. We can feel each other's presence. I don't know why yours feels so dim at the moment but from the second you were conceived I could feel you. And after you were stolen from us you were gone.

I th-I..."

Esme is unable to continue through her blubbers and tears.

Her husband cradles her into his shoulder and hides his own tears in her hair.

Sickening, Tempest shakes her head as she looks at the clock, impatiently waiting for them to pull themselves together.

"You thought what?" Tempest finally snaps after too long passes by.

This causes the lady to sob even more dramatically.

The man turns his flushed and red face toward Tempest to finish his wife's sentence.

"We thought they had killed you." He admits, his lips trembling.

If only he knew. Poor sod.

"Would have been preferable but here I am." She insensitively waves her hands in gesture to herself.

"So what did you do to avenge me?" She lifts her brows slightly in question as she pets Crew in her lap.

But Esme was more concerned about her last statement.

She popped her head out of her husband's shoulder to look in Tempest's eyes.

"Why do you say that? What happened to you?" Her face and voice plead two separate things.

She visibly doesn't want to know but her mouth still voices the question.

"Honestly, I never hesitate in telling people but I've a headache from all your fake tears so...perhaps another time?" Her blunt tone contradicts her polite wording.

"Why do you still refuse to believe this is real? I can assure you, this is all the unfortunate truth." The nameless man gently reaffirms.

"That's a question you should ask your wife. Maybe someday she'll give you an honest answer." Tempest lazily lifts a single shoulder in a dismissive shrug.

But soon after she tilts her head curiously due to the fleeting, knowing look the couple then share.

The fuck was that?

There's no way he knows she cheated or else they wouldn't be in this position.

"Well this was a brain numbing convo. Let's never do this again." Tempest slaps her knees and rises to her feet.

They both straighten in alarm and fumble for something to protest.

But it isn't them that the protest comes from.

It's the boy she met in the hallway of the pool house earlier that morning, although it feels like a lifetime ago for them both.

He steps out from around the corner that leads into the entryway of the mansion, arms crossed and expression hard.

He reminds me of...me looking like that, Tempest observes.

"You aren't going anywhere maggie." He protests.

Another nickname? When will it end?

"How cute. You're already playing the overprotective brother role." But her tone is anything but sincere.

She tries to step past him but she doesn't get far before his hand is latching onto her wrist.

She slowly turns, staring at his hand on her wrist with a cold glare.

Usually, anyone on the receiving end would instantly let go in fear of what her eyes promise. Death or severe injury.

This man does not.

His smirk is forced and insincere.

"How cute-" he copies Tempest.

"-you think you have a choice." And with that she's over his bulky shoulder, being hauled up the grand staircase of the mansion.

The last thing she sees as her heart rate increases and a dissociative episode takes over is the slumped over form of her other brother on the staircase, looking just as ruined as her parents had been.

A/n. Teeheeeee I was starting to doubt how well I could write such a dramatic plot twist but I feel good about the end of this chapter.

All the characters are acting very on brand🤣and allot of their behaviour will make sense in future chapters.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro