Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"There it is!"  Misty exclaimed, as the building came into view. It looked like some type of barn, with a long runway stretching parallel to it.

"Where's the rest of it?" Bonnie asked, assuming that there would be more.

"No idea," Brock shook his head.

They slowly made their way down the short slope, and towards the large concrete runway. It's paint was faded, and cracks ran along every bit of what was a flat and elegant takeoff spot.

As they made their way up to the building Serena began to notice the remnants of what used to be a thriving town. It was like a graveyard of buildings, each one leaving a distinct skeleton.

The group was hesitant when they reached the one intact building, but misty stepped up, slamming her fist onto its outside wall.

"Anybody in there?" she yelled out, expecting no reply.

The door flew open, and someone stepped out.

Serena was initially surprised by how sudden this new person had appeared, but now she noticed something even more important.

He awkwardly held a hunting rifle at chest height, looking over this group of newcomers. "Stay still," he commanded, as the group jumped back in shock.

"Let's keep our heads here" Clan said, the first one to really wrap his head around the situation.

"You're the one who needs to worry about that" he replied, a twinge of fear showing in his eyes.

"We aren't here to hurt you" Brock added in, trying to defuse the situation.

"Ok, but why would people like you come all of the way up here?"

"We need help," Cilan said, and the boy lowered his rifle.

"We should get out of the open" the boy said, stepping back into the building.

The inside was surprisingly well kept, with a few small lightbulbs illuminating the straw beds and large metal box that Serena assumed to be a refrigerator.

"Where do you get the power for this place?"  Brock asked, genuinely puzzled.

"Solar" the boy replied "Josh knew how to set it all up,"

"wait, there are others?" Misty asked.

"Yeah, they went out to find food"

They spent about thirty minutes talking to this stranger, as he explained how this person named Derek had lived for the past few years

"Yeah, most people left after the earthquake, but we were the few to stay"

"Why didn't you leave?" Cilan questioned.

"The roads are all blocked" he shook his head "and I do try to insist that we exit by plane, but the others would never allow it,"

"What plane?" Serena looked around, as Derek waves his arm over to something large, draped in canvas.

"There are actually two if them, one red, the other blue. I even learned to fly them!" he smiled proudly.

At this point Serena realized something. This person seemed about twelve, yet had the look of an adult hardened by this mysterious new world.

"Do they work?" Brock said, getting up and moving toward the planes.

"Oh yes sir" Derek got up to join him "I just started one up the other day, when the others were gone"

"You seem to really like these aircraft" Brock said, sliding up a tarp to reveal part of a wing.

"Well yeah... That's about all there is to do here. I read each and Every aircraft  manual, and it's my dream to fly.. Just somewhere, maybe like alola" He smiled down at his feet.

"Could you show us around the planes?" Brock asked, and Derek nodded in approval.

The boy took a while showing them the small plane, and at the end Brock leaned in and whispered something to him.

"We have a ride" he said, turning to the rest of the group.

"Wait... He's taking us?" Serena asked.

"Yep"

"Isn't this... Like... Aren't we taking advantage of his dream?" Bonnie's whispered, knowing this what they needed, but wondering it was right.

"It's what he wants," Brock said "so let's get ready" he turned to Derek "can you teach me to fly one of these?"

"Yeah. Sure," Derek said, looking up at him, almost as if he was an older brother.

They took some time to learn the aircraft before opening the large doors and pulling them to the runway.

"Are we sure that these will actually work?" Misty whispered over to Cilan.

"Of course" he replied through clenched teeth, pushing the airplane into position.

"Yeah, of course these random things will fly us to another region" she rolled her eyes.

Brock knew the basics, but would have to rely on the small built in radios to get tips from Derek.

Brock, Serena and Bonnie got into the first plane, Cilan, Derek and Max into the second one.

Misty took a moment before joining the second plane. She placed a reassuring hand on Derek's shoulder.

"Ready?" Derek said over the radio. "Ready," Brock replied.

"Begening take off"

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro