015:

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

*****015:

Backstage at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City I could feel the crowd surging into synergistic excitable frenzy in the stadium. And I knew I was about to go into vampire mode and feed off them. I could hear them with my super hearing, smell their inflamed turmoil and their electric BO--- with my super smelling powers. I bounced in my super lit up bouncy sneakers Virgil had picked out for my birthday that I hadn't had a chance to break in.

I shook out my arms, and then clenched and unclenched my fists, working my neck back and forth, humming an oldie but a goodie from our first album, the song we were opening with tonight, She Loves I am Trouble.

Levi clapped his sticks and then nodded to me. I nodded back, unable to speak, grin or shake my head back and forth. I worked my shoulders one more time, and waited for the lights.

I knew part of my pre-concert jitters were because Aubrey and the kids were actually here. The Arena had suites we'd rented for them to watch the concert from, a contained space so the kids could move around and Aubrey didn't have to worry about them. Plus Abbie was now part of the entourage—with Jeremy heading on stage as we speak, to start the guitar riff that will eventually lead into my song—and my appearance.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't get jittery before concerts. I did. It wasn't nervous in a bad way, as in lack of confidence or a concern about my band or my abilities. It was my vampire nerves, the blood boiling, breathing, boisterous bites I was about to take from each and every living soul in attendance. It was this moment right before we went on, the bond between brothers, the absolutely sick reverberations of crowd hysteria I fed off. Necessary, like light and water.

And Aubrey.

I could see the suites from here, wouldn't be able to see much of anything from out there. It was a huge stage, and yes, there was a set when the lights would dim, and I'd be able to see them that was when the bites occurred. I'd connect. Like throwing electrical currents into the audience and sucking all their adoration and excitement in then throwing it back to them in waves of raw plasma.

Time was ticking, I felt it in my chest like a pounding freaking freight train. I was so ready! Jeff ran by. I flipped and high fived Mutt and Ben--our eyes met--knowledge flashed and professionalism won in the contact. The flash of we need to talk went right out the door.

The riff sped up, the others joined in. I bounced, slowed my breathing—bowed my head and whispered words I'd started whispering while on tour last year. God, help me remember the new less cuss words tunes, and not make You and my wife cringe.

Then I ran out and pumped the concert blood into the vibe--- and let it overcome me.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro