031:

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

******031:

We arrived home from church. Felicity was still hiccupping and sobbing quietly in the back seat of Rafe's car with him beside her. I was tight lipped and my shoulders ached. He was feigning patience and his dad, who sat next to me, was telling me what to do with a screaming four-year-old, no matter what--- even if it was only her second day as our daughter. Personally, I thought throwing her to the sharks was a good idea.

As we pulled up I recognized a black souped-up jeep in the neighboring (my old house) driveway. I also recognized the driver---- my brother, Marshall.

Rafe's eyes perked up as he noted the visitor—of course, having met Marshall just a couple of times, and him being one of our Mongolian adoptees---- he didn't look like a Mann right away, Rafe didn't place him. I quickly said. "It's my brother, Marshall. They live in So Cal."

"What's he doing here?" Rafe was displeased to see anybody right at that moment. "Lissie, please." He murmured as her wail rose to a throbbing annoyance for no apparent reason. We'd just sat through three hours of this at church--- embarrassed, annoyed and anxious about her.

And now he was calling her Lissie. Where did that come from?

I got out of the car, as Marshall, his dark hair shining in the peep of afternoon sun allowed through the lowering clouds, got out as well. It had rained all morning and threatened to rain some more. I really, really wanted to crawl in bed with a good book.

"Hey, Marshall!" I called as Rafe blew out his breath like a horse, and cracked his neck joints, preparing himself for another afternoon of entertaining. He didn't know my family. That wasn't about to happen. They didn't ever stay all day and not go home like his friends did.

Marshall was not very tall--- about 5'9", with dark facial hair, neatly trimmed and a flashing bright white smile against his somewhat darker skin. He actually looked Indian, even though Mongols were Asian, Mongolia having been part of China or Russia for thousands of years. This was because he had none of the characteristic facial wrinkles traditionally seen on men of his biological culture. His eyes crinkled in such profound and genuine happiness, we had always called him Happy.

"Sorry to barge in on you on a Sunday, but Celestine and I couldn't wait to meet our new cousin, and we had a present for her that just couldn't wait." Marshall spoke in perfect English, having been adopted at three, he wasn't raised speaking his Native tongue. However--- Marshall was a linguist. He spoke fluent Mongolian, Russian, Chinese, Korean and German--- as well as fluent Spanish. It's what he did for a living. Speech and Translating--- I knew he even worked for the Pentagon on occasion with translating services. He traveled periodically, and was very active in the festival promotion of reviving and preserving awareness of traditional Mongolian culture.

He saw Felicity just as his four-year-old daughter got out of her car seat and jumped out of the car, and flew at her with a squeal. Rafe was not ready for this flying flower of friendly flamboyance, and therefore was unable to remove Felicity from her target. Felicity just had time to drop her mermaid before Celestine---- my brother's prodigy--- speaking fluent and remarkable Spanish, launched herself at her.

In a tangle of beautiful brown hair and brown tinted arms, Celestine rained kisses all over Felicity's face and cheeks and hair, hugging her profusely. "You are my new cousin! I love you so much! You are my best friend! We are best friends! I love you!" Celestine repeated over and over, kissing Felicity who stood there, dumb-founded, too stunned to push her away or speak. I think part of her shock was that Celestine looked very much like her. Dark hair, dark eyes, tanned skin, and of course, the height, the build, and especially the language!

Oh, bless my brother's pea pickin' heart--- he'd just given my daughter what she needed the most.

Celestine didn't take "stunned" for a natural response. She grabbed Felicity's arms and dragged her to their jeep, telling her every second how much she loved her, and how happy she was that they were best friends and cousins!

"I have presents for you! Come! You will see! I have lots of presents! Oh, we will have so much fun! You are my best friend!"

What child could resist?

I held my breath--- thinking that Felicity might.

But she didn't. She had forgotten her doll--- forgotten all of us, and followed Celestine to their car, climbed up inside while Celestine opened three large black garbage bags full of clothes, and I realized what I was the recipient of.

"You're the ambassador." I realized and gave Marshall an incredulous hug as I finally understood why he was here.

Marshall turned to Rafe and hugged him too.

"Would somebody let me in on the secret?" Rafe asked, wiping his hand across his forehead. "What just happened here?"

"Celestine is the perfect candidate." Marshall laughed softly as we watched the two girls dive into the three bags in uninhibited delight. "She is the real ambassador. I told her we couldn't wait another minute, because she had the most important job in the entire family. To help Felicity feel loved."

"What are they doing?" Rafe wondered peering intently at the inside of Marshall's jeep still bewildered. "What is ambassador status? I'm confused."

"I should start at the beginning, then." Marshall said with a laugh. "I am Aubrey's adopted brother Marshall Mann. I am a native Mongol, brought to the United States at the age of three. I am also a linguist by profession, and I speak many languages fluently. My wife, Angie and I live in Newport Beach about an hour away from you. Traditionally, when a new member is adopted into the Mann Clan, one of the older adoptees becomes their mentor, and advocate with the family. We usually have a party. However--- because there have been no recent foreign adoptions until Felicity, my particular services as ambassador to the family have gone unused. Felicity's circumstances are so unique, we all thought it best not to bombard her with the whole family at one time, but to introduce her one at a time to those who were uniquely qualified to help her make the transitions necessary. I did not mean to barge in, and we won't stay long, but the clothes couldn't wait. I was afraid you would go out and spend a lot of money purchasing new clothes, when the family thrift store is more than available."

His eyes were bright and shiny, his grin infectious, and he had no idea how his words affected me or Rafe. I felt huge and remarkable gratitude and overwhelming love and joy. Rafe on the other hand, grasped about two words of that--- one being thrift store and about came unglued. I could see it in his face.

Having never been the recipient of the family thrift store, I rushed to explain something I had forgotten the existence of.

"Rafe." I began as his eyes clouded over. I was sure he was feeling as if everyone thought he couldn't provide for his own. "It's not what you think! In our family--- we keep the clothing that our children wear, nicer stuff—since all of us can afford nicer stuff. And we pass it around. Every family gathering, we bring the stuff that we aren't using in black garbage bags, and give it to someone who is ready to grow into it. This isn't the only size four wardrobe being passed around. Trust me. But Celestine will have just outgrown most of it, or perhaps she has taken out of it what she wants, and will pass hers on to another soon, starting a new bag. I know this sounds weird, but lots of families do it. We all travel so much, and see each other so much, that it makes it feasible to share. And here's the part that will make you happy--- one: you get to add to it. Whatever you buy Felicity will in turn be shared with others. Two: take the money you would have spent on clothes and put it toward college for her, or a trust fund. Or, if that isn't to your liking, take the clothes budget you would have spent and do something charitable for someone who can't afford to do for themselves."

Marshall looked especially pleased. "Involve the children. We have all been so blessed, Brother Rafe, we need to teach our children to appreciate what they have, and to think of others before themselves. It is easy to become spoiled little rich kids. We don't want this to happen, so the family has instituted this as one way we can give back, and bless others lives. Everyone participates. It is simply a given. Look how happy it has made Celestine!" We all looked as we heard the happy squeals from the car, and saw Felicity trying on a dress that looked like the royal princess must have commissioned it.

Rafe's hesitant smile was rewarding. "But, you also speak Spanish! I think I heard your daughter speaking it as well."

"Yes! That is another beauty of it. We are more than bi-lingual, and we invite Felicity to share in our heritage, as we celebrate being foreign adoptees. You may not have told her yet, and she may not want to know, or cannot understand. Be that as it may. She is an older child adoption, and she will certainly know soon enough. She will need help with the transition. I am available night and day to help her become bilingual."

I could see that Marshall echoed his daughter's joy at being able to serve. It felt good to be the one who was able, and skilled in exactly what someone else needed. I hugged him again.

"Won't you come inside?" Rafe finally invited, the dawning realization of inclusion in an organization so widespread and profoundly influential was staggering to both of us. Even I had not realized or been a part of this arm of the family co-op.

Marshall looked at the girls. In fluent Spanish, he invited them both to come inside, and bring all their new presents. Then he turned to me: "Only for a few minutes. Angie told me we have the missionaries for dinner in just over an hour." He glanced at his watch as if for authentication of his words.

The men unloaded the large and heavy bags of far too many clothes, and brought them inside. Marshall graciously admired the whole house, the view of the ocean and the amazing guitars left out from last night. He was very excited to meet Rafe again--- especially with this delicate, yet powerful connection, and mentioned that he expected us all to become the closest of So Cal siblings.

I hadn't realized that Fred had gone alone into the house and changed his clothes, now he had come out to the kitchen to prepare a meal for all of us. He quickly invited Marshall to stay and have a snack, which Marshall declined, but Felicity willingly dragged her new best friend to the bar stool at the counter to have bite sized tuna on celery, cherry tomatoes, grapes, and apple slices. I got out the hummus on rye toast I'd made earlier, and sliced green peppers with almonds. I know-- funny combinations, but it worked in this household. The girls snacked happily, chatting in Spanish, while they giggled about nothing. They had turned into goofy girls. I figured I'd better set up a play date with Angie as soon as possible to solidify this budding best friend thing.

Rafe went to change and then came back, looking slightly more relaxed. He wanted to know how the co-op worked, and what was considered a good clothes budget sum to donate to charity, or start a trust fund with. Marshall gave him some ideas, also telling him that each and every time he passed the bags on, he was to add to the charity or the trust fund--- this pleased Rafe.

I cleaned up after everyone had had something, and I'd made strawberry banana yogurt shakes for the girls to sip. Marshall told Celestine that she had neglected her Aunt and Uncle terribly and should be ashamed that she had not been more polite. He did this in a language I did not understand, but her face told me she understood perfectly and she hopped down and came to give me and Rafe hugs and kisses, looking suitably mortified that she had been so remiss. Marshall sure had his daughter taught well. We were all impressed.

It came time to go, and Celestine promised to come play. But when Felicity realized that her new cousin and best friend was leaving the meltdown began again in earnest. Rafe went to pick her up, but Marshall respectfully held up one finger and spoke to her gently in her native language.

"My love, you must stay here with your new parents who love you very much and would be saddened to see you leave their home so soon. You must put all your new presents away carefully in your room, and be a good girl and say your prayers, so that Heavenly Father will bless you to come to Celestine's house and play this week."

Her eyes were big and full of tears, but she listened carefully. He pressed her mermaid doll to her hands and chucked her chin, kissing her little fingers softly, his eyes so perfectly dark and compassionate, his voice like warm silk and sand. I had not realized how sweetly endearing my brother was, and was suddenly very glad for this amazing connection that would give us even more bonding time.

We walked them out to the jeep after only fifteen minutes inside, and waved as they took off, Celestine promising to call Felicity when she got home. It went something like, "I'll call you, best cousin, I love you! I'll call you! You're my best friend!"

Grandpa nodded even as he ruffled Felicity's hair. "Cutest thing I ever saw."

Rafe put his arm around me as we followed Grandpa and Felicity into the house once more, he held me back as we stepped over the threshold, and the other two went to the living room to start moving the clothes upstairs. He looked at me deeply. "Aubrey, I never expected this."

"I know. I'd forgotten about the co-op. It's been going for years. It started way before I was born, and went through all the Crandall Cousins and even further. My mom shared with The McQueen's, The McCaffrey's, the Crandall's, and the Mann's and all---- all that goes with them. I think it is actually still moving on that way. I think--- well, I know, unless I bought my own clothes, or got something as a gift, everything I ever owned till I moved out was hand-me-down."

"Is it nice stuff?"

I remembered the idea he had of Jeff's kids being frumpy. "No, it's not all super nice, it includes lots of play clothes and stained up stuff they can wreck and not worry about, I'm pretty sure. I hope there's a few paint shirts." My eyes caught his, and I read his troubled expression.

"That's really not what I meant."

He smoothed my hair back, turning me with his palms against my cheeks. His dark hair was messy, going every which way on top, his facial hair was neatly trimmed, and his lips were--- well--- I'd never been able to figure them out--- full, but relaxed and thin---

"What did you mean?"

"I miss our time." He sighed and dropped a very light restrained kiss on my upturned lips. "I already miss just being us."

I thought about just months ago. Sleeping on the bunk in the bus, the way we'd simply talked about anything and everything, the way we'd make out whenever we wanted to, read stuff, tickle and play--- we weren't worried what anyone else thought--- we were falling in love.

I didn't know how to reconcile the falling in love part with the dynamic we found ourselves in now.

"We had fun out on the waves yesterday."

He smiled. "I liked that--- very much--- all of it."

"Being us?"

"I'd like more of just being us. But yeah--- I liked taking Felicity out, I liked being just me for a bit, I liked seeing the shore with you setting out the pizza and talking to the girls. I liked seeing the kids playing, I liked jamming with Mutt."

I nodded as his hands dropped to mine and I brought them up to our chests. "Well, I liked sneaking a moment on the floor upstairs. And I liked being caught, and racing through a shower together, and even with Felicity, she didn't see anything, and---."

He swooped in with a forceful kiss and demanded my perfect attention. I went up on tiptoe, leaning against him completely, our fingers still laced and now at our sides.

"I love you." He whispered.

"I love you too."

He blew out his breath as if just being with me caused him to have to put on the brakes or take me upstairs immediately. It was a heady feeling.

"So, I wanted to tell you something else that happened last night." I said as we turned and walked in the front door. "Ronda and I had a slight disagreement."

His brows rose, and a smile quirked his lips. "She can be like that."

"What?"

"She's into disagreements. Her and Jeff are always in them. Don't take it too personal."

"Well, she was pretty adamant about not being around my kids if I don't vaccinate."

"Why wouldn't you vaccinate?" he stopped in the hall and bit his lips at me, trying to hide the smile?

"Is this going to be another one of those controversial subjects we haven't covered yet?"

"Looks like it." He grinned. He'd really liked the last discussions--- they always ended with either basketball or making out.

"Well, I am picky about vaccinations, you should know. I've studied and read and learned and I know the biology, but I also know the financial pharmaceutical side of things."

"Okay, then. You know what? I don't know anything about it."

"So, I win this one?"

"I didn't say that. But you'll have to present your case." He squeezed my shoulders, "Preferably naked, in bed, engaged, in between kisses." He kissed my forehead as we entered the den where Grandpa and Felicity were watching a cartoon.

I stared at it. Not just any cartoon. I retrieved the controller and flipped it off. "Sorry, muchacha, we only watch certain cartoons in this house. How about a DVD?"

She started to well up, and Grandpa squeezed her shoulders.

I turned to Rafe. "You know--- cancel that bedroom set. We can save a little more money toward her trust fund, or helping someone else. You were right earlier, I already have a twin bed. Let's go get it tonight, and set it up in her room. Would you like that, Felicity? Let's go get your bed, and make it up real pretty."

She was tired, I could tell. Maybe needing a nap. The distraction might be good. Plus, if we got one of the dressers we could start to put all her new clothes away and I could go through it all too. Rafe's eyes were speculative. He was having to change his thinking.

Taking care of his own, and having enough money to go to elite Hollywood boutique's had been important--- at least it seemed to be important--- to him. He was a show off to some extent. But saving for the greater good--- well, that might be of value as well. He had to decide.

"You really don't want the new bedroom set?"

"You said it yourself, we don't need it. I have stuff--- perfectly good, and almost brand new."

"We could move it all--- you and me?"

"And me." Fred interjected.

"Or I could call Ben."

"Ben who?" I chided. "Come on, we got this."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro