063:

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

******063:

The house was silent for once. It usually wasn't. It was a very well built, well insulated house, with three stories and a basement and no matter the time of day or night, I could usually hear some form of noise.

I tiptoed out of our room--- the hall was slightly cooler--- but our room had been closed up, and I'd fallen asleep before I could open my window.

Yeah, I liked to sleep with fresh air blowing on me. I usually had a fan going and my window slightly--- just slightly open. The hallway was carpeted--- wide, with oaken baseboards and motion sensitive night lights in the plugs. Next to our room on our level, which was the third level, was Felicity's room, newly painted pink--- and Rafe and Ben had recently installed her upper bunk bed, complete with slide for getting up and down, and hung with My Little Pony accouterments. She slept with her door almost closed, and I listened for her breathing, and had to push the door open just a little.

I felt slightly nauseated again, and listened in the hall for the boys. There was no sound. It felt like a sound warp. I stuck my fingers in my ears and then pulled them out quickly--- yes, there was more noise, I could hear the air moving. There really was no human noise.

I returned to our room, listened for Rafe who normally woke when I did, he was breathing steadily, deeply, and not moving. Likely I'd hit him in a stage four. I tiptoed to the stairs. The kitchen and living area and three more bedrooms were on this level. I could see the range light projecting from the kitchen, and when I hit the hardwood floors they were warm--- as per my dad swearing that only floor heating with water was the most economical source. Rafe listened to every house building tip my father gave. In the dim light, everything sparkled. Abbie's bedroom door, off the kitchen, was closed tight, but I knew she'd be long asleep.

She was an amazing nanny for our kids. She took really good care of them--- really good. And I loved her for it. She was taking the year off school and career to help us out. There wasn't anybody better than family, honestly.

I got a drink of water--- which I could have gotten upstairs--- we had a small kitchenette in our room. Then I opened the fridge and inspected the leftovers, all neatly wrapped or stored. Nothing like meatloaf, or taco salad appealed. I shut the door just as I heard voices from Abbie's room.

To the right was the dining area, with no table there, but a huge window overlooking the back yard--- it was covered at this hour with a light sheer gauze liner--- waiting for me to make up my mind about window treatments. I froze.

I heard the voices again.

Should I just sneak out? Was she on the phone? Had she fallen asleep with her TV on?

I felt the nausea threaten again and knew I needed to find something to eat. A Nutella and banana sandwich sounded right. I tiptoed to the pantry and opened it.

Abbie's door opened.

I whirled, and gasped.

Jeremy was standing there, his eyes as startled as mine. "I did hear someone out here!" He whispered, and there was Abbie in her gray yoga pants and a loose fitting white t-shirt. Her hair looked messed up, as she peered at me from the door, backlit by her reading lamp.

"I'm nauseated. I need to eat something." I stated as I caught my breath and reached once more for the pantry door and the Nutella.

"Oh, sorry. Did we wake you?" Abbie was all concerned in her sweet way. She was, like I said before--- the sweetest girl.

"No. No worries. I'm sorry I disturbed you, were you guys...." I didn't know what to say. I hadn't even known they two were friends. They hadn't ever hung out in public that I was aware of. I grabbed the homemade bread our chef had left wrapped in plastic on the cutting board.

Jeremy came out of the room, and now I could see he was in boxer shorts, and a loose fitting undershirt, his hair was sleep messed as well. He got a glass from the cupboard behind me and used the filter system on the fridge to pour himself a glass full. The whole room lit with the brightness of refrigerator light, causing shadows to appear everywhere else. The countertop--- onyx and gold and marbled granite really shone. It had that warm glow we'd chosen it for.

Abbie stepped into the room, turning on the twinkle lights that were left over from Christmas, white and hidden along the shelf tops above, with fake greenery lining the ceiling. The whole kitchen was the warmest friendliest space I'd ever created. Her contribution did much to relegate the shadows to the background. There was a kitchen bar above the sink facing the dining area. Abbie pulled up a stool.

I spread the Nutella and cut my banana. I only ate a half a sandwich. I turned and offered the other half to Jeremy, and he accepted it, and munched.

"Not a bad combo. Is it a pregnant lady thing?"

"No. I liked it before I ever got pregnant."

Abbie was leaning on her bent elbows. "I bet you're wondering what we were doing in there at this hour?" She led in ready to confront my questions before they became questions.

"No. I wasn't exactly wondering that. I was just wanting to ditch my pregnant nausea before it made me throw up, or at least if I do have to throw up, it won't taste as gross as if I had nothing."

Abbie grunted appreciatively. "Well, we were just talking."

I saw her glance at Jeremy. "Okay." Whatever myth they wanted to pursue was okay with me. "So?"

"Well, we don't really want anyone to know."

"That you were talking?" I understood immediately that she meant by anybody that she didn't want me to tell Hannah.

"That we were together in my room at three a.m."

"Are you sleeping together?" I asked pointedly.

"No!" They both responded rather quickly.

Jeremy held up his hand. "We were talking and it just got late. We lost track of time."

"Okay?" I finished my sandwich and flipped the water on to wash my hands.

He drew in a deeper breath. "Aubrey, Hannah has decided that she doesn't want to marry me. Abbie and I were just talking---- about that."

I blinked long and slow. "As long as you're not sleeping together under my roof. I have standards, right?"

"Oh yeah, no, we get it, yeah, we--- it's not like that." Jeremy assured me.

"Yet." Abbie said seriously and I let my raised eyebrows show that I didn't need to be a part of this conversation. I smiled and wiped the counter off with a wipe, and then tossed it under the sink.

"I'm going back to bed for an hour. See you guys in the morning."

I saw them exchange looks and then even a hug as I hit the stairs. Hm. Hannah had decided not to marry Jeremy, and he was taking solace from the little sister. Hm.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro