062:

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Touring can be---- tedious.

I'm the first one to admit it. Although it has its rewarding moments. I've been touring with Axis for almost twenty years. We started out in a car, then a camper, staying at friends' houses, and meeting other bands. We went from there to a van, then two vans. We did some flying in and flying out gigs, for awhile, when we were really tied up with stuff. We bought the first bus within the last five years and the second bus just last year. We've had the semi's to haul the gear and the crews for awhile, and a crew to handle the logistics of that side of things for us. We tour on our own now--- no studio backing. But it costs a fortune. You have to be making over a $100,000 per gig. We now make around $400,000 to $600,000 a gig.

We will be touring with three opening acts. A band called Conger-- it's the lead singer's last name, but I think they meant it to mean Conjure as in to conjure up things. It gets spelled that way periodically. There are six of them and they use our crew of course, and some of their own equipment. They'll be with us the whole time. They bring in about $100,000 a gig, so they're not unknowns.

Gunn will be with us half the time, and King Horn Ruff-- another boy band the other half of the time. They were pretty new, and pretty wild, and pretty coarse. I would have to keep them and Aubrey separated or she'd leave for sure.

I approached the bus. Our tour bus driver, Mack Jennings was standing there in his jeans and large floppy blouse, open at the neck. I nodded to him. He tucked in his shirt when he saw me, knowing I took particular care of my crew, and wanting to seem professional.  He's a good man, Mack--- he has a family here in LA. 

"Rafe." Mack said in acknowledgment. "You ready, man? Who's your lady? She coming along?"

I grabbed his arm, pulled him in for a hug, even though I knew his hugs were bone crushing, he was stereotypically black, and big--- but he was the one that hung around the most and went to the trouble of learning everything there was to know about touring with us over the years. So, stereotypical or not, it is what it is.

"Mack, this is Aubrey, she'll be with me on the tour for about a month. Is everyone else here?" I looked around and saw certain cars I recognized and guys milling about, as I'd said. Aubrey looked fresh and awake.

Before Mack could shake Aubrey's hand or give her a high five even-- shouting erupted from inside the bus. I leaped on board in time to see down the crowded bunk hall as Mutt's girl Tiana flung a bunch of stuff on the floor. Another girl was yelling that it was her bunk and her stuff. A cat fight? I should leave it to Mack, he usually handled cat fights, but suddenly I didn't want any cats on my bus.

I wasn't even sure why the cats were on this bus, they usually rode in the other bus. This bus was strictly for the talent. I grabbed the girl's arm and swung her around before she could hit Tiana. Mutt was there, but it was obvious he was hung over and holding his head. That happened for him at the beginning of tours. I felt animosity instantly that he was so out of it that he couldn't control his woman.

He saw my eyes before I stepped in. He pushed off the wall and grabbed Tiana's arm. "Get off." He said simply. She stared at him.

"What?"

"I changed my mind. I don't want you to come. I don't want you at all. Get off. Take your shit and go home. We're done."

Tiana sputtered, while I asked the younger girl who she was and why she was on this bus. She told me she was an assistant lightning technician named Moll Givens and the bus driver had told her to simply pick a bunk.

"Techs don't generally sleep with the talent, babe. Try the other bus." I told her and she took her stuff out in disappointment. It was obvious that she'd known that already. I made a mental note to get her off the tour if one more incident occurred. I didn't need that kind of unprofessional shit --- I mean stuff-- happening.

I looked at Mutt. "Are you sure you don't want your chick?" We had agreed we could each bring a person this trip.

He nodded slowly, looking puky and pale. "I don't want her. Bitch."

I nodded. Jeff had just got on and was also alone.

"Ronda?"

"Not coming." Jeff's lips were tight. He'd wanted her to come, but there had been some question what with her pregnant and trying to take care of two kids already. Touring was hard--- kids don't generally come along. Wives don't always come along. But they'd made it work before.

I clapped him on the back. "Maybe it's best."

"Yeah. She said she'd come down in about a month maybe."

That sent a small warning flag up in my brain. About the time that Aubrey would be leaving. Was there a correlation? Should I ask about it right now? I couldn't help myself. "Is she trying to avoid Aubrey?"

Jeff's eyes snapped up. "Among other things."

"The Mormon thing?"

"Yeah." He sighed. "I've been thinking about going back to church. I want the kids raised in the church. I thought she was more on board than that."

My brows rose. "Hm."

"You could have the other bus almost to yourself. You wouldn't have to be around us-- her."

He slung his back pack on his bunk and shrugged. "You know we like to collaborate while we travel, Rafe, it would be a pain in the ass to--"

"But I would do it for you." I told him, thinking that we'd been friends longer than either of these women had been in our lives. I couldn't let shit come between us.

"I know you would Rafe. I told her that. But it's best if we're not together right now. There's other shit going on. Troy--"

I felt this deep knife thrust in my heart at his name. I staggered, I know I did, felt my legs going weak. Jeff grabbed me into this huge hard desperate hug. I couldn't even think those thoughts right now. I pounded his back as tears collected in our throats.

"Uh huh." A throat clearing came from the direction of the main lounge and the front door. "You fella's need a minute?"

"Does it look like we're making out, Mack?" I yelled, clapping Jeff hard and pushing him back.

"There's a tour happening today." Mack allowed with a jovial break in his voice. "In case you were wondering."

I blew out my breath, wiped my eyes discreetly and remembered I had an interview outside right now, and we had photos in a few minutes with the whole crew, and Aubrey was still waiting--- hopefully.

I saw her standing there (that's a song-- I thought)  this as I answered questions from a publicist--- our band and the guys from Gunn were outside, ready to take photos and answer questions. This is a good time to talk about the tour--- but they usually asked things like what do we eat on tour--- and what kinds of books are we reading.

I got away as soon as possible, as soon as I saw Holli Elman, our tour manager approaching Aubrey. I made it to her just as Holli was checking her lists.

"She's with me." I panted, leaping to Aubrey's side in high energy. Holli is in her forties, but looks like she's in her thirties. She's got this pinched face, looks British, and wears her fake red hair in a ponytail most of the time. Her arms were in this permanent carrying position from carrying notebooks, and she habitually wore white. She's been on tour for most of her life--- not with us, but it seems like she's always out with some band. Her assistant is almost as good as her, but he's about as laid back as they come. He approached also--- no notebook.

"Did you know about Rafe's guest?" Holli asked Allen Katzenmeir. One thing that Allen has done for us is eliminate the need for hotels in every venue. This has saved us a tremendous amount of money. Instead he arranged for us to shower at the venue--- this by bringing in shower trailers and catering--- we fed our crew without having to pay to eat out all the time. Sometimes we showered in school gyms or hostels. It saved a ton of money. And the crew was just as happy. Most of them were veteran's of van and trailer days, so anything was better.

Allen hooked his thumbs in his pockets. "Sure. I knew. Aubrey Mann. Yeah." He glanced pointedly at her ring, and she slipped her fingers in her own pockets, so Allen fingered his scruff and eyed us both surreptitiously. I'd told him she was my fiancé originally--- and now I hadn't introduced her that way. "Did you bring your bathing suit Aubrey?"

She jiggled her backpack, which wasn't very big, and kicked her little duffle bag. "Yep."

"That's about all you'll need." He sauntered away to talk to the guys from King Horn Ruff as they arrived.

"Do I have her papers?" Now Holli was checking her iPAD.

"I got you copies. You've got the passports, yeah." I was in a hurry to be on our way. The quicker we traveled, the more time we'd have to spend hanging out at each venue, maybe doing a little site seeing.

"Rafe. We go on at seven." She wasn't as impatient as me--- we clashed that way, she liked to have all her ducks in order, I liked to have all her ducks in her pond and not bothering me.

Aubrey glanced up her eyes wide. "You have a concert tonight?"

"In Tijuana." I confirmed.

Holli glared. She didn't like to be interrupted or have to wait to say what she wanted to say.  "There is this new song..." She turned her iPAD to show me. "What is this?"

I glanced at it. "We're not performing it."

"Zack Mann is pushing it, it's already mixed and being marketed. It's been on the radio."

"Get out! I never even heard it after---" I looked at Aubrey who gave me her second wide eyed glance.

"I have no idea. He's got worse ADHD than you." She said.

Holli glared around her, and blew out her breath. "Teach it to the guys. It's been requested."

"I can't. The collaboration was with Kareem Williams and Tracy McCaffrey,"

"I said teach it. Adapt it. It's been requested."

"Does it have a freaking name?" I glanced at Aubrey to see if she'd noticed I used 'freaking' instead of the other word. She smiled tolerantly.

"Fall into the Ocean." Holli told me, and I tried to process that. Zack Mann was a wizard. "It is listed as your song. The other two artists have very minimal rights. This just came in today, but it has been on the radio for two days. Fix it, Rafe." And she turned and strolled away.

I pooled my fist against my forehead and blew out my breath again, then turned and took Aubrey's bag. "Come on."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro