138:

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

We were greeted at the door by President Call who had been waiting for us. He shook our hands, met Jeremy and Levi, who were dressed in their best, but still managing to look like rockers. Then he took Jeff aside first.

The rest of us mulled around looking terribly conspicuous, and I started explaining things to Jeremy and Levi. Rafe was very quiet. I think he recalled that the President had said he would have to speak in sacrament meeting, at least bear his testimony. Jeff came out fairly quickly and again had tears in his eyes. Rafe went in next.

"Did they set you apart already?" I would be surprised if they had, but his countenance was just shining.

"Nah, later, during priesthood. Just talked. And he liked the hair cut." I was secretly pleased.

"I think we should just go on in and get seats." Jeff said and ushered me with his hand familiarly on my back. I wondered suddenly if Jeff and Ben would join that little group of brothers as well. They were attached to Rafe like brothers. Jeremy sat beside me so I could translate for him. I did my best, quietly, but there was dialect to consider. I'd brought the Kindle and they had their phones so we could sing the songs in English if we wanted. I wondered what that would sound like, all these pretty famous celebrity pop singers, belting out the hymns.

Rafe slid in beside me on the other side and took my hand. He was smiling softly. I gave him a curious expression. "Aubrey, I'm going to be ordained an Elder. They've worked some kind of miracle."

I grinned and patted his hand. "You are the miracle."

After the sacrament was passed, testimony meeting began. I explained to Jeremy and Levi as best I could, and tried very hard to translate, but I lost it, as they spoke so fast. I just sat there helplessly, having told the boys that I couldn't translate quick enough to make it make sense. They were okay with that, and Jeremy said he'd just sit there and feel the spirit. Which I thought was way cool of him.

I felt the spirit for sure working with me. My heart was pounding and I knew I was going to get up, and I was feeling shy at the same time, and kind of prayed to know if I had to, or if I was just nervous for Rafe who was expected to, and I definitely felt an even stronger impression that I was to go first--- of all things.

I excused myself, stepping over their long legs, today wearing heels and nylons with my Mexican skirt and blouse and jewelry. I made my way up as soon as there was a break, and looked out over the assembly of tolerantly smiling faces, picking out President and Sister Call and my guys easily. As well as a sea of beautiful young women and happy looking smiling Mexican men.

I spoke in Spanish first, introducing myself, and my companions, so they wouldn't have to. I didn't feel dramatically impressed to talk about anything specifically. Just bear fervent witness of my Savior's love and the divinity of the gospel and the restoration of the church. It wasn't long, and then I spoke in English, basically the same stuff, feeling choked up now and blessed to be able to be there with these amazing men, who would be ordained in a few minutes. I could feel the warmth and surety of the Spirit letting me know we were all still on the right path.

And then Rafe got up. He made that walk up to the podium, buttoning his suit jacket just like every other male that ever stood to do anything at the podium. His eyes were clear and fresh, his hair looked amazing, and his scruff had started to fill back in. He held himself with such confidence.

"I would like to bear my testimony, brothers and sisters, and let you know that it's been over twenty years since I've stood at a Mormon podium to do anything even remotely similar to bearing witness of things I know to be true. But I am here today because I do know they are true. I have doubted, I have fought it, I have been lazy and disobedient, even rebellious. I still am. But that doesn't change the gospel. It might change me, and be hard for me to swallow my pride, but the gospel doesn't change. It is still God's plan and the only plan that will successfully return us to live with our Father if we so choose. We may not all take the same path to get there, there are an infinite variety of paths we can take, I always thought there was just one, and its interpretation was set by none other than my dad, but I was wrong. There are many ways to be on that path. No two journey's will be the same. And the Lord expects us to find our path with Him at our side, he expects us to talk to Him and let him be a part of our journey. And He puts things there for us, things to help us. Little things: the lyrics of a song, a hymn, voices singing, beautiful sunrises, or a girl who will play basketball with me, drink smoothies with me, and have food fights. So many little things. Yesterday I went to the temple to do temple baptisms. It was the most rewarding and amazing experience I have ever been involved in. The feeling of the priesthood there was exquisite, the love of God transcends all differences. And honestly, I have a lot of differences. I have cultivated them for many years. I may not think like a life long member of the church, I may not act like one either, but I know that Jesus Christ is aware of my every move, and aware of my every effort. He is aware and there to help me along. I am learning to trust Him, and that's all that matters right now. I would like to say this in His Holy name, Amen." 

He had spoken in Spanish--- perfect flawless Spanish, I might add, but then he repeated it almost word for word in English. I loved what he said, it made me cry, and it made Jeremy cry and Ben was sniffing too, before he got up and joined his best friend on the stand, and then used the podium to bear his testimony too.

Rafe sat down. He did not cry. He put his arm around me, and pulled me close, and kissed my forehead, squeezed my hand. He still had that very confident air to him that I found so immensely reassuring.

After the meeting President Call came over and shook our hands. "Brother Stryker. I understand you plan to do a concert tonight. What are you doing directly after this meeting?"

Rafe shrugged. "Resting up. It's a big concert."

"I would invite you to consider having your mid-day meal with my family at our home, all of you. And then would you consider coming back here to this building and speaking to our youth? Perhaps even using your talents to bless their lives?"

Rafe titled his head back, his eyebrows lowered, thinking about it. I watched him, calculating the time it might take and the risk involved. He nodded. "I will."

"Of course, you and your friends would be invited."

I counted ten of us. I told him so. He nodded solemnly. "Sister Mann, will you also speak to our youth?"

I had no idea what I would say to them. "Of course." I heard myself saying. Then I looked to Rafe. "If it's okay with you?"

He chuckled. "You don't have to ask me."

I nodded again and then we were heading to Sunday school and finally to priesthood where I was allowed to stay and witness my three best friends receive the Melchezidek Priesthood and be ordained to the office of an Elder. It was amazing--- huge, monumental.

No one could talk after that. As many questions as Jeremy and Levi had, two American Elders had to come and answer them. I was profoundly unable to speak. It was even more amazing that Tim, Aiden and Jake were all in the circle. Belatedly I took pictures after church.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro