12 | shooting star

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Yeah, I believe things will change. No one is perfect. Even this moment has its own meaning. And we are connected by sound, woah — Lights, BTS

C H A P T E R T W E L E V E

A YEAR PASSES, AND THE TAXI DRIVES PAST THE BUSTLING CITY, BRING BACK MEMORIES OF CHILDHOOD WONDERS, and dreams of singing and dancing onstage like the inspiring K-Pop Idols.

Kevin pokes his head out of the window's taxi, and the corner of his mouth raises as if an invisible string must have done it. The city explodes into vibrant colors of blue, and skyscrapers soar up. The scorching sun cascades across his face like a waterfall.

He won't lie. He's missed the balmy sunlight and the busy roads, traffic signals turning red every so often. Grabbing a snack at the convenience store or playing at the arcade with his friend after school.

Friend? Which friend?

As soon as the taxi makes a right turn at the green light and parks in the familiar quiet neighborhood he's grown to since he started going to school in first grade, he gets his answer.

It's loud and merry and energetic.

"Kevin!"

Youngjae runs to Kevin and hugs him in a moment of reunion, pulls away, and smiles.

It's quiet for a second until they hear Kevin's dad call out to him.

"Are you boys going just to stand there?" Siwoo holds the taxi's trunk and shakes his head, a knowing smile spreading across his face.

A smile cracks on the boys' faces. "Go help him, Kevin," Youngjae emphasizes his name and grins mischievously. Only when Kevin isn't looking does he push him forward.

Youngjae runs away, laughing in amusement. Kevin notices after a second and grimaces.

"You need to help too, you know?" Kevin runs after Youngjae. He remembers them being young, wild, and free like the old times, and he embraces this moment because he knows it may not last forever. 

Kevin and Youngjae will go different ways after graduating college.

The chance to see each other again all depends on what their world will look like.

Kevin moved back to New York during middle school. Youngjae also studied abroad.

Youngjae was in Los Angeles when Kevin was in New York. They planned to meet one another and go to university together, for their hearts were in Seoul, beating rhythmically as the drums.

Kevin's phone pings and he slides the phone out of his jeans pocket, brown eyes widening.

The mysterious random person messaged him after so long? He still remembers when they messaged each other on the bus about the uniform he was wearing and how it wasn't his.

832 - 175 - 9654

who's that guy?

Kevin replies with the speed of light, a smile of sunshine playing on his face.

Kevin

Wow, you text me after a while, and the first thing you ask, is who's the guy with me?

832 - 175 - 9654

sorry, I didn't mean to. I know I've been gone. life happened.

Kevin

You can always talk to me.

832 - 175 - 9654

are you stealing my lines now?

Kevin

What, it's just one line! And you NEVER said that

832 - 175 - 9654

true, so who's that guy? Is he your boy—

Kevin

He's not my boyfriend. I'm messaging a random person who makes me smile. I don't even know who they are.

832 - 175 - 9654

are you implying that I make you smile?

Kevin

No. You read that wrong

832 - 175 - 9654

fine, I'll pretend I didn't read that. want to know a secret?

Kevin

It's not a secret, right?

832 - 175 - 9654

I live right next door, that's the truth

and

Kevin

and what?

832 - 175 - 9654

you make my heart dance

message not sent

Kevin doesn't get a text back from the mysterious person until it's completely dark outside. 

The moon has disappeared beneath the thin clouds coating the midnight sky. His bedroom is cool and pitch black but illuminated by the night light. He's in bed resting like a starfish with a pillow beneath his knees as an anchor, staring up at the ceiling, mind lost in the galaxy of his thoughts. 

He reads the time on the clock on his nightstand, and a deep sigh leaves his mouth as he remembers a certain boy from their high school band catching him in his arm during their commencement.

Every moment from the night of prom to graduation, Changmin's been there by his side, and Kevin's starting to wonder if he's his knight in shining armor.

He just won't admit it.

Not when Changmin plays the piano with raw emotion and appears by his side at the right time.

And not when he smiles, his eyes are sparkling, and the brunette feels like his heart is beating out of control. The dimple on his cheek and whenever he arrives to his rescue, he's like a male lead walking straight out of a K-drama. Kevin's head over heels for Changmin, just maybe he is, but he needs time to heal.

His heart hasn't healed from the invisible scars of unrequited love yet. He can't allow another sad ending to enter his new life. And he doesn't want to seem helpless because he's not. 

He doesn't realize Changmin doesn't want an unhappy ending either.

His phone vibrates a second time, and Kevin reaches for it, heart pounding as he recalls the previous conversation with the random person. 

What could the secret be?

No one would slip it out.

A secret is a secret for a reason.

Kevin knows well enough after the night he confessed to Jacob.

832 - 175 - 9654

You

You're the secret

Kevin's heart practically jumps out of his chest. He swears he'll die from the sweetness overload if this keeps continuing. 

How can they be annoying yet charming? Oh, we haven't established pronouns, Kevin thinks.

It's like telling a secret, well, not exactly. It's more like uncovering someone as a person, and the person on the other side of the phone may not want to reveal their identity.

But it's just one question. It should be okay.

Just do it, Kevin. Nothing will hurt except regrets.

Kevin

I don't want to be a secret

832 - 175 - 9654

why not? I think it's perfect, so no one can hurt you.

Kevin

I'm willing to risk and play with fire. You can't stop me

832 - 175 - 9654

and if I'm fire?

Kevin

Then, I'll burn

I'll explode into fireworks in the sky just for you

Yes, you do make me smile

832 - 175 - 9654

I'm not letting you burn alone, idiot. we'll shine bright together

Kevin

Can I ask you something? Two questions: What pronouns are you acceptable with? Do you go to SNU? I want to know who I'm talking to and why I should trust you

832 - 175 - 9654

the answer to your first question, your royal highness is he/him/they

and the second answer is a yes. I'm a first-year student. you can call me yours if you're okay with that

Kevin sits up lightning fast, bumping his head against the bedframe, and mentally screams in agony.

His life is a chain of multiple reactions colliding into each other holding an insane amount of energy that it's causing him to think if things will change.

Thinking about it hurts.

Thinking about the first day of college hurts.

Thinking about the future hurts. Sometimes only breathing is hard.

He texts back, and a smirk finds its way onto his face, wondering how the boy on the other end would respond.

Kevin

Then, you can call me, mine

And you can talk to me, tell me anything, or everything. I'll listen

No, but really. What should I name you on my contact list? You can call me moonlight or anything you want. I'm okay with that

832 - 175 - 9654

Call me, O2

Oxygen because it's vital. I want to be important to you

I saw a shooting star just now, and it reminded me of you

Realizing how the world spins on its axis causes Kevin to understand life doesn't bloom quickly. Instead, it grows slowly. And Kevin figures that love doesn't have to be too fast or slow. It can be in between. 

Kevin puts his phone on his nightstand, facing down. He feels a smile grow on his face and falls asleep without thinking about Jacob for the first time. 

Tomorrow will be a good day.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A U T H O R 'S  N O T E

Dedicated to Sans, a ball of sunshine because of your encouragement, love, and support for Baby You Are. You've been there for me since summer started and understand how I feel when it comes to writing and people reading your works. I'm doing my best and really this surge of motivation coming back lights up my world.

I forgot how to write and started hating it because of the classes I was taking, and that's when I decided to change my major.

Kevin is back in South Korea!

Changmin is playing anonymously as usual and as a knight in shining armor.

Things are going to change and get angsty, prepare your hearts. Also if you notice any mistakes or errors, please let me know in the inline comments. Please hit the star and comment if you enjoyed reading

As always, remember, smile, dream, and shine

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro