Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Crying had become the only thing Larai did all day long. She had accepted the fact that she was going to be married to Zakari, but whenever the thought of Yusuf crossed her mind — which happened with every passing hour, she could not help, but worry about his safety.

Knowing just how cruel her father could get, she knew he most likely didn't let him off the hook.

"Ya Larai!" Azumi shouted and waved a hand over her face.

Larai snapped out of it and wiped away her tears, with the back of her palm. "What is it?"

"Something terrible happened earlier." She announced.

Larai remained indifferent.  She wasn't a tad interested in whatever was going on in the village. It was the least of her problems.

"I shouldn't be telling you this, but I feel you should know." She added, making Larai furrow her brows in curiosity.

"Just go straight to the point, please." She exhaled, roughly.

"The guy that came here yesterday, he—"

Surprised, Larai's jaw dropped. "What has happened to him? Please tell me, Azumi." Tears brimmed up in her eyes.

"Baaba told some of the village boys to beat him up and then report him to Etsu (the king) I was coming home from the stream when I heard some girls talking about it. I heard he was badly wounded by them and that the king has banished him from the village for being an outsider and causing a ruckus."

Larai had expected Baaba to do just that, so it didn't come as a surprise to her. She was, however, concerned about the wellbeing of Yusuf. "This is all my fault. Instead of pushing him away, my actions gave him hope that we could be together again. I just hope he goes far away from this village. He doesn't deserve to suffer like this." She blinked, making the tears in her eyes fall. "He doesn't belong here."

"I'm sorry, Ya Larai. I wish there is something I can do to make you feel better." Azumi remarked, sullenly.

"There's something you can do." Larai placed a hand beneath her chin, making their gazes meet. "I want you to deliver something to Yusuf."

"Huh?" Azumi sprung up. "I...can't..I won't be able to do it." She timidly bit her lips. "What if Baaba finds out?"

"Please, Azumi." Larai held her sister's hands in her and looked pitifully into her eyes. "Do this for me. I will forever be grateful to you."

"But...but..." She stuttered. "I don't even know where he lives."

"That's not a problem. He doesn't live very far from the market. You know the new buildings opposite Talatu's kiosk, right?"

She nodded in the affirmative.

"The first room by the right is his."

Azumi hummed, unsure. "What do you want me to deliver to him?"

"Check my bag, there's a book and a pen in it. Please bring it to me."

"Okay," Azumi responded and sauntered to where her sister always kept her knitted bags. She took out the book and pen from it and walked back to Larai. "Here." She handed the items over to her.

Larai collected them and smiled, gratifyingly at her. She sat, then tore out a piece of paper from the book and began to scribble on it.

Dear Yusuf,

I heard what happened to you. I'm so sorry for that. I feel bad that these things had to happen to you, because of me. This is the reason I kept pushing you away, but you didn't listen to me.

My wedding is tomorrow and as much as I don't want to get married, I know it'd definitely happen. I want you to do me a favor: please don't worry about me. Just like everyone else, I'm sure I'm going to survive this as well.

This is my fate now.

Please go back to your city and continue living your life like you used to. Forget about me.

I wish I could see you one more time, but I know that's impossible.

Thank you for all the time we've spent together. I will live to cherish them.
Take care of yourself.

Larai.

After a while, she handed the piece of paper over to her sister. "Make sure you give it to him."

Azumi hummed and fidgeted with the hem of her lilac-colored blouse; reluctant to leave.

Larai grabbed her hands again and made her look at her. "Don't be afraid, Azumi. There's no way Baaba is going to find out about this and even if he does, I will take all the blame. Go now. Please hurry, before he leaves the village. I'm going to give you some money when you return." She added, knowing fully well her sister would not be able to turn down the offer.

"Okay." She nodded and walked out of the hut.

Once she had left, Larai supported her weight with her elbows and managed to stand. She maneuvered to the window and gazed into nature—the cloud was a mixture of white and blue.

The chirping birds flew around in a circular motion, the chickens picking grains from the ground and the cows, mooing from their cage. She envied their freedom. She wished she could turn into a bird—an eagle to be specific and soar high into the skies and never return.

The day was sweltering.  Larai was still by the window, staring into space and making wishes when Azumi hurriedly barged into the room. She flung her headscarf to the floor and stood by the corner, exhaling deeply.

"Are you alright?" Larai walked up to her. "Why are you so tense? Did you run back home?"

She tried to talk, but due to how breathless she sounded, she nodded instead.

"The letter. Did you get to give it to him? What did he say?" She questioned, intensively.

"He..." Azumi trailed off and showed her the folded paper in her hand.

Larai's heart fell. "You didn't give it to him? Has he left already?"

"No, he hasn't left yet. I delivered your letter. He also wants me to give this to you."

"Alright. Thanks, Azumi." She collected the letter from her and held it against her chest.

"This is the last time I will do something as risky as this." She mumbled; her face all scrunched up.

Larai touched her face. "Did something happen? Please speak up."

"Haja saw me talking to him. She threatened to tell Baaba about it. I begged her, but she refused to listen to me. I didn't know what I'm supposed to do, so I ran back. I shouldn't have done this. Now, Baaba is definitely going to kill me."

"Calm down, Azumi!" Larai wiped her tear-stained face and lifted her head.

"Look at me, nothing of a such will happen. Haja isn't going to say anything to Baaba and even if she does, don't worry, I will take the blame. I will tell him I forced and threatened to beat you up if you didn't do it. Be rest assured, I won't allow any harm to come to you. Enough of the tears. Go on and do the chores Nna gave you before she returns from fetching firewood.

The night of the wedding finally approached. Larai refused to eat a morsel of food.

In just a matter of few days, she had turned lost a lot of weight. She became skinnier than she already was.

Her eyes were red and puffy, from all the time she dedicated to crying until her tears were all dried up.

She knew there was nothing she could do to elude from the wedding, but she did not stop begging Nna to help her beg Baaba to change his mind. She thought she had finally accepted her fate, but as the wedding drew closer, she realized she hadn't. She would never be able to.

"Larai!" Nna called, pulling her out of her thoughts. "Here," she handed a tiny container to her. "I brought this for you, from the market. It's an ointment from the city. I was told it works really well. Tomorrow is your wedding, your skin should be as flawless as possible."

To prevent herself from bursting into tears, Larai bit her lower lip and nodded.

"Azumi." Her mother called again. This time, softly. "Right now, I know you feel we're the most terrible set of parents there is, but soon enough, you will understand why your father is doing all these. Your sisters got married in this same way and so far, have you heard any of them complaining? No, right? Just like them, I'm certain you will also find happiness. Your father is doing all these because he loves you. Both of us only want the best for you."

"But Zakari isn't what's best for me." For the umpteenth time, she reproved. She would never be able to comprehend why her mother was turning a deaf ear to the truth. 

"That's what you believe now, but soon, you're going to start believing otherwise. You should give him a chance and see."

"I can't do that." Larai cried. "I don't want to do that."

"Then you'd only be making things difficult for yourself because no matter how much you try, there's no turning back now. Zakari is the man your father has chosen for you, right before you were even born. He is your husband. No one else. Get some rest.
Our relatives and the girl that will apply henna on you will be here soon." Nna instructed, then stood and left afterward.

Larai took out Yusuf's letter from underneath the mat and cried while clutching it tightly to her chest.

While the henna was being applied to her hands and legs, Larai sat there like a statue. She just wanted everything to be over and done with.

The emotional trauma she was suffering from, was drowning her into the depths of its pit.

"Wow!" Azumi swooned, her gaze intently fixed on her sister's legs.

"Your lalle looks beautiful. I want the same drawn on my legs." She said to the girl.

"You can't have the same design on you." She refused. "It's especially for the bride. I'll draw a different one for you."

"It's fine." Larai intervened. "Please do as she wants."

"Yay! Thanks, Ya Larai." She remarked; ebullience laced in her voice.

Within a short time, the
the henna ceremony was over. Larai had always loved henna, but at the moment, the patterns on her hands, which everyone saw as beautiful, were hideous to her. They reminded her of the awful reality in front of her, which she had refused to embrace.

"Azumi!" Nna's booming voice filled the atmosphere. "Where are you?"

Azumi flinched and swiftly went to hide behind me. "Please don't tell Nna I'm here."

Larai frowned, but before she had the chance to speak, Nna had already barged into the room. "I can see you. Come out right now." She ordered in a stern voice.

Lackadaisically, she moved away from her hiding place and stood in front of Nna.

"Have you sieved the ground aya?"

She questioned, referring to the tiger nut she had bought in large quantity for the preparation of tiger nut milk. 

Guiltily, Azumi shook her head.

"Then what are you doing over here? Why are you so lazy? Guests have already started arriving. What do you expect me to serve them with? Before I close my eyes and open it, I want you to go to the kitchen and have it done."

Needless to be told twice, she dashed out.

Nna had already turned to leave when suddenly she turned back around. "Your lalle looks beautiful. You're glowing." She commented, then turned around and walked away.

Larai huffed.

Assalamualaikum/hello!

The wedding is tomorrow 🤧

Have you ever been forced by any of your parents to do something you didn't want to do?

Do you think Larai is unwise?

Don't forget to vote, comment and share, dears 🤗

Follow me on Instagram for updates 😘

deey_jah
❤️❤️❤️

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro