78 | crossroads

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Chapter 78 : crossroads 

"Why can't she sleep with us?" Mukti asked in a sad voice, when Ruhaani informed them that Pari would be sleeping with her.

"She's hurt, Muku. Doctor has told us, we have to give her medicines and make sure she sleeps well. Once she has fully recovered, she'll go back to sleeping in her room. Okay?" Ruhaani spoke, gently plating her hair into a loose braid for the night.

Mukti wore a sad face and then pondered for a bit before turning around to look at Ruhaani, "Can Nirvaan and I also sleep here? Please..."

Ruhaani sighed, she couldn't deny that earnest plea. Nirvaan and Mukti had hardly got any time with her or Aadarsh in past few days. She understood where Mukti's request was coming from. She glanced up at Aadarsh who was sitting on the other side of bed looking their way. He gently nodded.

"Okay," Ruhaani smiled at Mukti.

"Yes," Mukti exclaimed excitedly. She turned around completely and threw her arms around Ruhaani, who smiled widely returning her hug and kissing the girl's cheek.

"I will go tell, Nirvaan!" she said and jumped out of the bed, dashing away.

"No running in the house, Muku!" Ruhaani called behind her.

She glanced at Aadarsh who was reading something on the iPad with full concentration. Sensing her gaze he glanced up at her.

She shook her head denying his silent question. Focusing on work had always been his way of coping up with worries. She wanted to tell him to go to Abhi, but decided to let him decide on how to deal with Abhi.

"Did you take your medicine?" she spoke after a long pause.

"I remember, I will take it before sleeping," he answered not bothering to look up.

She got off her side of the bed, fetched his medicine and a glass of water, and then walked over to his side of the bed. "Here,"

He sighed as though almost ready to start an argument but then without arguing took the medicine. "Happy?" He asked after downing the entire glass of water.

She rolled her eyes. "Thanks for doing me a favor." She snatched the empty glass from his hand and placed it back on the shelf of the wall unit. He watched her thoughtfully while she walked away with a small smile. If they were back to jibes normalcy was coming back.

Abhi walked into the kids room. He knew Aadarsh was sleeping there because the guest room was being used by Badi Bua and Phupha Ji.

"Not asleep yet?" Abhi asked walking in, his blanket tucked under one arm and his pillow under another.

Aadarsh's gaze followed him, as he took the other single bed on the opposite wall. "Since when do you sleep in the kids room?"

"Thought it would be nice, for the sake of old times." Abhi muttered, placing his pillow at the head of the bed and then climbed in.

Aadarsh looked up at the fluorescent stars painted on the ceiling. While growing up, Aadarsh and Abhi used to have a small room to themselves with two single beds placed parallel to each other. Every night they would have random conversations, sometimes about cars, sometimes about their dreams, sometimes about their friends, it was really anything under the sun.

"We should have also had these stars in our room when we were growing up," Abhi commented, "it would have been so nice, especially on the nights there were power-cuts."

"Hmm," Aadarsh murmured softly. Abhi used to always be scared of complete darkness. He always wanted a little bit light in the room if it was dark. Their father had installed a low-voltage night bulb near Abhi's bed so that he would never be scared through the night.

"You used to be so scared on those nights," Aadarsh recalled fondly, lost in the memories of their shared childhood.

"I remember you being super pissed on those nights," Abhi added, turning to look at his brother.

"You wouldn't shut up, either sang songs or told me lame jokes or kept babbling away in hope that when the power was back you could go to sleep. Of course it irked me." Aadarsh turned towards his bed.

"You remember one night I even cried?"

"We saw some horror movie that day, right?"

"You made me, you had brought it from some friend from school," Abhi accused.

Aadarsh smiled wistfully, reminiscing about his earlier days as a bullying elder brother. He used to drag Abhi into all sorts of mischief just for the thrill of it. "I was such a bully back then!"

"That's putting it mildly," Abhi murmured.

A silence settled between them.

"You transformed from the perpetually annoyed, never serious, hardly responsible elder brother into this version of yourself so swiftly." Abhi mused aloud.

Aadarsh's expression grew pensive.

"I think you had a lot of... strength." Abhi continued gently.

"Abhi," Aadarsh sighed, his reluctance evident. He wasn't ready to discuss it. Not yet.

"What did Dad do... to you?" Abhi pressed, his voice soft yet insistent.

"Abhi, it was nothing. Let bygones be bygones." Aadarsh deflected.

"Please," Abhi said softly, his gaze unwavering "tell me. I can handle it. I want to know. I have a right to know the truth." He then sat up sat up, fixing his eyes on Aadarsh, silently urging him to open up.

Aadarsh rolled onto his back once more, his gaze fixed on the ceiling. Ruhaani's words reverberated in his mind.

Slowly, he sat up and slid off his bed, crossing the room to sit beside Abhi on the other bed, leaning his back against the wall.

"I don't want to tell you everything, Abhi," Aadarsh began quietly. "He was... maybe still is... your superhero. I don't want to... hurt you or your feelings. He hasn't been a great father... at least not after Maa left... at least not to me." Aadarsh's voice carried a weight of unresolved emotions.

Abhi watched him with his eyes glazing with tears. "What did he do Bhai?"

"Slapped me every time I urged him to leave his substances and take care of his children."

Abhi blinked his eyes to fight his tears.

"I thought he was just hurt and angry and eventually one day he'll come around. It never did. Until Badi Bua witnessed it one day and she decided to put a stop to it. Told me to not go beg him for attention." Aadarsh bit his lower lip, looking aside at the door of the room. He didn't want to be weak before his younger brother.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Abhi asked wiping his tears.

Aadarsh turned to face him, his expression softening. "I'm not that heartless. You were heartbroken over Maa's absence, and you just wanted to be with your Dad. I couldn't bring myself to tell you," he explained. After a moment's pause, he added, "Maybe somewhere in my heart, I hoped he would change, that he wasn't completely gone."

"That's why you never let me go into his room." Abhi blinked, remembering the insignificant detail from the past. It would always be Aadarsh going to call their father for meals, although he never came. It was always Aadarsh going into his room to request him to come out and spend time with them. He always returned with an excuse— he is busy with work, he is sick, he is sleeping, his is having a bath.

"He scolded you very harshly once, and slapped me in front of you," Aadarsh revealed softly. "But you never remembered that."

Abhi stared at his brother. He indeed had no memory of any such instance. "I...I don't remember," he confessed regretfully.

"It's okay," Aadarsh sighed, "it's a good thing you didn't 't remember. I never wanted you to be at the receiving end of what I got. So I kept you away as much as I could. It's good you forgot that day. Maybe you just wanted his affection, the affection of the only parent you had left, so your mind let that memory go away. Not your fault, Abhi."

Abhi's tears streamed down his cheeks. "Why didn't you tell me, Bhai? All these years, you let me... talk to that man, be with him..." His voice cracked, overwhelmed by the realization that his father was not who he had believed him to be.

"Hey," Aadarsh murmured gently, wrapping an arm around Abhi. Abhi leaned into his brother, crying on his shoulder. Aadarsh held him close, his other hand resting reassuringly on Abhi's back, embracing him tightly; just like he had done through the nights after his mother's demise. "it's okay, Abhi. We are over that phase. We are at a better place now."

"Why are we so unlucky?" Abhi sobbed.

Aadarsh held him tighter, offering silent solace in their shared grief. He blinked his tears, gently comforting his brother. "Maa loved us, Abhi, she was the most wonderful parent. We are lucky we had time with her, we are lucky that she raised us, we are way more luckier than Ashvi, Mukti and Nirvaan."

"NiMuk are luckier." Abhi spoke after slowly pulling back from his brothers shoulder. "They have you and Bhabhs. You both make the best parents I have ever known."

Aadarsh gazed at his brother, unable to find the words to express himself. He had never imagined that discussing these painful memories could alleviate the heaviness in his chest that was always present.

After a moment, he finally spoke, his voice quiet but resolute. "We... try to be,"

Abhi nodded slowly, "I am sorry. All these years... I have always fought with you when it came to Dad. I brought him along on your engagement. I ... for the whole thing that happened during Holi. I didn't...think ...not in the wildest thoughts...that Dad...."

Aadarsh gently gave his shoulder a squeeze. "We don't choose our parents, Abhi. It was a shock for me too, when Phupha Ji told me that it wasn't the first time Dad was using and told me about the history."

Abhi let out a sharp exhale and covered his face with his hands. "It's so damn hard to process. I mean... it's Dad. I can't imagine him..."He dragged his palms down his face, looking at Aadarsh. "You changed his medical records too? I never saw drug abuse there. I have a copy of all his medical records."

Aadarsh nodded. "I had an agreement with the medical center to make his treatment for drug abuse confidential, only Phupha Ji and I had to be kept in loop. Initially, they had suspected his cognitive decline to be just the side effects of heavy substance abuse. Only when he kept declining, after his withdrawal did they diagnose him for the other mental illnesses."

"I feel bad for him." Abhi spoke after the longest pause.

Aadarsh nodded understandingly, silently acknowledging his brother's conflicted feelings.

"And I feel bad for feeling sympathy instead of hate," Abhi confessed, his voice heavy with introspection.

Aadarsh took a deep breath, tilting his head back against the wall to gaze up at the ceiling. "You get that from Maa. You feel sympathy instead of anger. You feel hurt instead of hate."

"Maybe if I were in your place, I would feel hate and anger," Abhi mused aloud.

A faint, painful smile crossed Aadarsh's lips, "You're better off not being in that place."

Abhi stared at his brother. Mixed emotions gripped him. He wanted to be angry at his brother, for hiding the truth, for letting him live under a rock, but he also saw the reason behind his brother's actions. He wanted to be cross with his brother for letting him feel a man who never did anything for them a father should have, but he saw his brother's protection.

Abhi sighed and leaned against the wall, resting his head on his brother's shoulder while wrapping his arm around Aadarsh's. Just like he used to when he was scared as a kid.

There was one undeniable truth: Aadarsh loved him unconditionally, cared for him fiercely and did everything to always keep him safe.

And perhaps that was exactly why, Abhi could never stop loving this man even if he didn't find him or his ways agreeable. He was the only man who always had his back.

"You know," Abhi mused aloud after a long, comfortable silence shared in mutual sorrow, "I used to think you didn't like me when I was a kid."

Aadarsh smiled slightly. "I didn't like you. When you were born, everyone couldn't stop gushing about what a charming, angelic baby you were. It felt like they forgot about me during that time. Suddenly, everything was about you. I hated that."

"Awww... I knew it you were always jealous of me." Abhi teased with a hint of affection.

"Shut up," Aadarsh countered, trying to pushing him away lightly. "A petty emotion like jealousy is the last thing I feel."

"God, you're so delusional! You are jealous of your wife's dentist. You're jealous of the attention your wife gets from your own family. You were always jealous of your own baby brother, me!"

Aadarsh turned to look at Abhi incredulously. "Ruhaani told you?"

"Duh. She was happy when she told me." Abhi wore a small smile.

"I wonder why she would tell you that!" Aadarsh muttered. "And for the record, I am not jealous of the dentist. Perhaps I didn't make it enough clear to her."

"Yeah, and I am the prime minister of India."

"Abhi, Shut up, you're becoming annoying again."

"Speaking of Bhabhs, how is she holding up?"

Aadarsh was going to answer that but then suddenly paused and turned to look at Abhi and meet his eyes. "Why are you asking me... you didn't talk to her about it?"

Abhi sighed. "She was a bit mad at me ...so."

"Mad why, what did you do?"

Abhi sighed. "I was angry at you because of everything that happened and then...you know her. She gets all defensive when it comes to you."

Aadarsh couldn't help but feel his heart flutter. It felt nice to know there was someone who would always have his back. However, the brief feeling passed too quickly replaced by his conflicting thoughts about her.

"How has she been doing?" Abhi's question distracted Aadarsh from his thoughts.

"She's strong and has braved many storms." Aadarsh spoke softly. "Pari is her strength. As long as she has Pari... she'll be okay."

"And you?"

"I am fine."

"Bhai,"

"Abhi, I am ...okay. And I don't really..."

"Fine, don't tell me. But go tell your Ruh about what you actually truly feel, okay? Everyone needs at least one person they can talk their feelings to."

Aadarsh glanced at his brother surprised once again.

"What? I know she's the only person you're actually truly yourself with. And I also know that you call her Ruh. Uncharacteristically romantic of you, actually. And I also know you're head over heels in love with her."

"How do you know all that?"

"I have ears and a very keen observing power. You'll be surprised how little you know of how much I know of your relationship with your wife."

"Stop sounding like a creep." Aadarsh muttered.

Abhi chuckled. He sighed as his chuckles faded, "I am going to miss you and Bhabhs and all of the crazy bunch that live under this roof."

"You have finalized the date?" Aadarsh asked. He had forgotten about Abhi's departure plans among everything. He was to receive the airplane tickets from his company for his relocation.

"Fourteen days from now."

"Oh, that's...soon. What about your stay and ..."

"I have all that sorted. They have a relocation advisor assigned to me. She is taking care of everything."

"Oh, that's good."

"Aren't you going to say, you're sad I am leaving and tell me how much you'll miss me?" Abhi asked.

"I won't." Aadarsh replied.

"Not fair, Bhai. I am your most favorite person in this house and you're not taking this golden midnight opportunity to tell me how much I mean to you?"

"And you call me delusional." Aadarsh chuckled.

"Fine. After Pari. Nirvaan. Mukti. Bhabhs. Ashvi, Badi... wait a minute," he spoke straightening up. "Don't tell me I am last on the list."

"Okay, I won't." Aadarsh shrugged getting off the bed, before Abhi decided to make him his pillow for the night.

"Wait," Abhi spoke holding his arm.

Aadarsh turned to him with a smile.

Abhi immediately threw his arms around his brother and rested his cheek against his abdomen. Aadarsh's smile faded quickly. He slowly wrapped his arms around Abhi, trying to blink away his traitorous tears. He couldn't imagine a life without his little annoying brother if he was honest with himself.

"I don't know if I am making the right choice."

"Change is almost always scary, Abhi. Don't let it scare you. You have your whole life ahead of you. It's an adventure waiting for you to take the leap of faith. And if you think you're lost, at any point, I will always be there to bring you back home. So you have nothing to worry about, Abhi."

Abhi simply tightened his arms around his brother. Those words were all he needed to hear.

Ruhaani didn't remember when she had last slept so well. Having Pari right next to her safe and sound, in her bed, in her home, was all she needed to feel safe again. Much of the exhaustion from the past few days had worn off with just one night's good sleep. She stepped out of the lift with Pari. The kids had received strict instructions to not run around the house and not use the steps. They all were mindfully using the lift, so Pari would too. They wanted to eliminate all possible chances of falling for Pari.

Once Pari had spotted her father on the dining table all those instructions were forgotten and she dashed towards him. "Papa!" she screamed.

"Pari, no running!" Ruhaani and Nirvaan chimed simultaneously.

Ruhaani flashed a warm smile at the boy before swiftly moving toward him, embracing him in a quick hug and planting a morning kiss on his cheek. She then turned to greet Mukti in the same affectionate manner before pausing by her husband's side. She observed fondly as he caressed Pari's head and told her that her hair was coming back. She could tell that he missed their daughter's wild always-tangling hair just as much as she did.

As Pari made her way around the table and settled next to Mukti, Ruhaani greeted him softly, "Good morning."

Her heart almost skipping a beat as he turned to meet her gaze. His dark eyes filled with a love she could never tire of seeing. She gently leaned closer and placed a chaste kiss on his forehead. A bald look definitely didn't suit him. She for one missed his thick black locks. But she was positive than in a few days he'd go back to looking dashing as always.

His eyes met hers as she slowly parted with a shy smile playing on her lips. She was yet to be fully comfortable in expressing affection towards him in front of others. He smiled instantly, "good morning," he wished back.

"Slept well?"

He nodded, "you?"

"Very well." She answered, standing beside the empty chair usually occupied by Abhi. Her expression turned thoughtful.

"He's sleeping in. I spoke to him last night," Aadarsh offered, sensing her concern.

"Is he okay? How's he holding up?" Ruhaani inquired softly.

Aadarsh couldn't help but marvel at how these two cared deeply for each other yet managed to fight and ignore each other so effortlessly. "He's fine. He will be fine."

"Yummy theplas coming up, who is first in the queue?" Dai Jaan's cheerful voice flowed. Ruhaani turned to smile at her as she quickly filled the plates before the kids. The sight of Dai Jaan pampering the kids was the essence of their home.

"Good morning, Dai Jaan!" she greeted.

"Good morning my baccha, sit sit. Theplas are best eaten hot, with tea."

"I will, first let me help you," Ruhaani replied, picking up a thepla from the plate and putting it on Aadarsh's empty plate.

"No. Sarika is here to help me. You sit down and have a good breakfast!" Dai Jaan said referring to the househelp and dismissed her suggestion. "Come on sit,"

"Where is Ashvi?" Ruhaani asked.

"She had some assignment submission today so she left early. She's been swamped with the assignment work off late."

Ruhaani nodded, settling on the chair as Dai Jaan served her. "What about Badi Bua and Phupha Ji?" she asked.

"Temple," Aadarsh replied absently, his eyes scanning the newspaper.

"Are you going to the office?" Ruhaani asked, glancing over at the children. Mukti and Pari were doodling smileys with ketchup on their plates, while Nirvaan was engrossed in solving Sudoku.

"I've decided to work from home for a few weeks. They're setting up my workspace on the second floor. What about you?" he asked, still focused on the paper.

"I've taken unpaid leave until Pari is... back to normal health," she answered quietly.

He looked up briefly, nodding before returning to the newspaper. Ruhaani blinked, lost in her thoughts. There was something different about his demeanor, but she couldn't quite pinpoint what it was.

Ruhaani answered the doorbell, fully expecting to see Badi Bua and Phupha Ji. To her surprise, it was Devashish standing there instead. She glanced over her shoultoo.at the silent house. Abhi and Aadarsh were upstairs with the kids.

She gently shut the door and stepped out. "Why are you here?" Her voice was cold, edged with a touch of suspicion.

"Uh, hello to you too," Devashish replied casually. "I heard the boss has temporarily moved his office. So, here I am." He raised a file in his hand as if to illustrate his purpose, "to get some work done."

"I need to talk to you," Ruhaani added, striding towards where the two cars were parked. Devashish looked baffled and glanced at the door and then at her; finally followed her to the side.

"What did you do with those kidnappers?"

Devashish leaned casually against the car, a mixture of curiosity and amusement playing on his features. "Why? Couldn't you ask your husband?" he quipped.

"Look..." Ruhaani pointed a finger at him, her tone firm. "I just need answers because one thing I've learned is that you hurt people, and Aadarsh ends up paying the price."

"Oh, I see now. The blame game," Devashish retorted with a hint of cynicism. "You're holding me accountable for everything. Interesting."

"You were responsible for that man's brother's death. You knew it but kept it from Aadarsh." Ruhaani asserted firmly.

Devashish chuckled, a bitter edge to his amusement. "Rich coming from you!"

"Shut up," Ruhaani snapped, her voice cracking with frustration. "I can't believe I ever thought you cared for Aadarsh. But you don't—you only care about yourself."

"Whoa," Devashish countered, his tone mocking. "Says the wife who couldn't stand up for him. The wife who's been lying to him"

Ruhaani's expression showed a mix of confusion and irritation. "Please, enough is enough. You're lucky because Aadarsh doesn't know what you did. But I do. I can't believe it would be you, out of the whole world, who would take advantage of Ashvi."

Devashish's face registered shock.

"Yes, I know. Don't even try to deny it. I overheard your conversation with her through the Bluetooth device," Ruhaani continued, her voice resolute. "That's why it's important for me to know what you did with that video and what you did to those kidnappers."

"I didn't force Ashvi," Devashish interjected defensively.

"Shut up," Ruhaani snapped, her voice sharp. "I don't want to hear her name from you, or have you anywhere near her. You've caused her enough harm. I just need to know about that video."

"It will never be found." Devashish answered her, meeting her glare.

"How do I believe that you haven't kept a copy for yourself?" Ruhaani countered skeptically.

Devashish scoffed, a hint of defiance in his expression. "I care about Aadarsh more than you do. If I say it's destroyed, then it's destroyed. Unlike you, I have nothing to hide from Aadarsh."

Ruhaani rolled her eyes in exasperation. "Yeah, right. The day he finds out what you did to his sister and then had the audacity to slut shame her, you're finished. "

Devashish smiled wryly. "I didn't know she was his sister. If I had known, I wouldn't have touched her. And you really need to stop worrying about me. Because it's your secret that will hurt Aadarsh the most—the one you've conveniently kept from him all this time."

Ruhaani blinked confused. "what secret?"

Devashish looked at her thoughtfully, connecting the dots in his mind. "Wow," he muttered as realization dawned on him. "So he knows, and he hasn't confronted you about it." He blinked, trying to comprehend the implications.

"Stop beating around the bush. What are you talking about?" Ruhaani demanded, irritation clear in her voice.

"That Pari is not your biological daughter," Devashish stated plainly.

Color drained from Ruhaani's face, her eyes widening in shock at his words.

"Aadarsh knows," Devashish continued calmly. "What's intriguing is that he hasn't brought it up to you. I wonder what's on his mind."

Ruhaani swallowed hard, a lump forming in her throat.

"If there's anyone who has really hurt Aadarsh...it's not his sad excuse of a brother, or his sister, or me, it's fucking you." Devashish said bitterly. "Because he has given that power to you. So instead of interrogating me... go talk to your husband. While you're at it, please handover these papers to him," he placed the file he held on the hood of the car, "this has my resignation papers that he requested among others." With that, he walked away, donning his sunglasses.

Ruhaani stood there, stunned and speechless, as the weight of Devashish's words sank in.

Ruhaani was still processing what Devashish had revealed as she walked up to their bedroom. Everyone else was gathered in Abhi's room. She approached Aadarsh's desk intending to leave the file there when he entered the room.

"Ruhaani, where is Pari's after breakfast medicine?" he inquired.

Ruhaani pointed towards the wall unit. He nodded in acknowledgment and then noticed the file in her hand. She looked at it as well, hesitating momentarily before speaking, "Devashish dropped by... he asked me to give this to you."

Aadarsh nodded in understanding.

"Can I ask you something?" she said softly, her eyes observing his expression closely.

"What happened to those men, those goons?"

"Devashish took care of that. We don't have to worry about it."

"How can you trust him so blindly?" she asked, her agitation palpable. "Especially after everything that happened."

Aadarsh sighed deeply. "I trust him, Ruhaani. If he hadn't arrived in time, Pari would..."

"We wouldn't be in this situation if it weren't for him."

Aadarsh fell silent, then nodded slowly, "I know. That's why I have asked him to resign. Devashish is audacious in his approach and maybe I enable him. So I have asked him to find another job. I'm done condoning his methods in business. I promise you, Ruhaani, there will never be another horrifying night like that."

Ruhaani let out a sigh.

He added as an afterthought, "There's one thing Devashish has guaranteed: Bappi Gautam will never trouble us again. This chapter ends here. I trust Devashish. And you should trust me, even if that's not easy for you right now."

Ruhaani fixed her gaze on him, her expression a mix of lingering doubt and hesitant acceptance.

He moved away slowly, retrieved the medicine he had sought, and quietly departed the room.

As he left, a solitary tear escaped Ruhaani's eye, betraying the emotions she struggled to contain.

"You've been pretty busy," Ruhaani remarked as she entered Ashvi's room, carrying a box of cupcakes she had ordered for her.

Ashvi, sitting on the bed, looked up from her phone. "Hi Bhabhs."

"I heard from Dai Jaan that you're on your period, so I thought I would order your favorite cupcakes," Ruhaani said, closing the door behind her as she walked over to sit beside Ashvi.

"I won't mind that!" Ashvi remarked eagerly, scooting over to make room for Ruhaani on the edge of the bed. "You're just perfect, Bhabhs!" she added with a grin, opening the box of cupcakes.

"So, how are your assignments going? I heard the due date for submission is next week."

"Yes, it's almost done. It's a design portfolio submission," Ashvi replied softly.

"Hmm, do you want to talk about something? You seem a bit off... since whatever happened," Ruhaani probed gently.

"No, Bhabhs. I'm done with it all," Ashvi responded tersely.

A heavy silence settled between them. Ruhaani watched as Ashvi ate the cupcakes, savoring each bite and commenting on the texture of the cream and the softness of the cake.

"I know, Ashvi," Ruhaani finally spoke softly. "About Devashish, that video, and Yuv."

Ashvi, who was wiping the edge of her lips, froze, panic clearly etched on her face.

"It's okay," Ruhaani reassured her, her tone gentle yet firm. She placed her hand on Ashvi's folded knee. "Relax. I've spoken to Devashish, and he has assured me that the video no longer exists. You don't have to be scared, Ashvi. You can talk to me about it."

Ashvi blinked and looked away. "Does Bhaiya know too?" she asked, her voice tinged with remorse.

"Not yet," Ruhaani replied gently.

Ashvi looked up at her instantly. "Please don't tell him."

"Ashvi," Ruhaani began, her tone compassionate yet firm, "he is your brother, your guardian. He needs to know."

"No, he doesn't. I am an adult, Bhabhs. I made some decisions for myself and they turned out to be totally shitty. But it's my life and it's on me. Please don't tell Bhaiya. He is way too controlling; he won't let me move out if he finds out. And please don't tell Abhi Bhai, I will never be able to meet his eyes."

"Aadarsh cares for you, Ashvi," Ruhaani insisted. "He can find out whoever leaked that video and make sure that person gets punished for it."

"Bhabhs, I don't want that. I just want to get out of here," Ashvi argued earnestly.

Ruhaani stared at her, dumbfounded by Ashvi's words.

"You won't understand, Bhabhs," Ashvi continued, tears welling up in her eyes. "I... I love Bhaiya. But it's suffocating to stay under his rules. All my life, I've followed what he told me. It was a miracle he let me choose fashion as a career; he always wanted me to be an engineer for job security. For once, I want to take control of my own life. Paris is my dream."

"Ashvi," Ruhaani said incredulously, placing her hands on Ashvi's arms. "You were taken advantage of. Your best friend betrayed you. And all you care about is... moving to Paris?"

"What else do I do, Bhabhs?" Ashvi asked tearfully. "I can't undo the past. Devashish was a mistake, it was a moment of weakness, I was attracted to him and I regret it deeply. And Yuv, he was my best friend. I... I'm done with all these people. I just want to get away and start afresh, leaving all this behind me. I never want any man to control any aspect of my life again. I am done. I want to live life on my terms."

Ruhaani bit her lower lip, watching as Ashvi trembled with overwhelming emotions. Slowly, she moved closer and enveloped Ashvi in a comforting hug. "It's okay, Ashvi," she whispered soothingly, gently caressing her hair.

"I trusted Yuv, Bhabhs. I never thought he would... betray me like this," Ashvi sobbed.

"I know," Ruhaani murmured softly, continuing to comfort her. "You'll be okay, Ashvi."

"Please don't tell Bhai, I beg you," Ashvi pleaded pulling back from the hug, holding Ruhaani's hands tightly. "Please."

Ruhaani stared at her, torn. Ashvi was asking for too much. She didn't know if she could bear keeping another secret from Aadarsh while the weight of the first one already burdened her so heavily.

• — • — •

Can't wait to read your thoughts and perspective. Will try to post the next one soon.

Don't forget to vote ☆ on the chapters.

—Anami!♡

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro