27. Supreme Justice

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

John was like a visitor to this planet. He came in peace and he left in peace; but during his time here, he kept trying to reach new levels of awareness, of peace, of spirituality.

Albert Ayler

The man in the white robes holds out his hands in a gesture of blessing, and takes a step closer to them on his bare brown feet.

"Joo'n, is that ... you know?" Noel whispers. "Because he doesn't look much like his pictures."

"It's John Coltrane," Julian whispers back. "He was a jazz musician and a sort of spiritual figure, and ... I suppose he was sent to Earth for a while, like Dennis is going to be."

"Who calls me here?" John Coltrane says. He is softly-spoken, but the intensity of his voice resounds through the room like a wave crashing against rocks.

"I do, Supreme Justice Coltrane," says Jeannie bravely. "Case Worker Jeanne-Claudette Jacquettie, on behalf of Mr Noel Fielding." She ushers Noel out in front of her.

"What did the assessment room decide for Noel?" John Coltrane asks her.

"He ... he was sent Forward, My Lord."

"And why don't you want to go Forward, my child?" he asks gently, looking directly at Noel.

"Er ... I want to go back, sir. I mean, My Lord," Noel says, rubbing his arm nervously. "My soulmate Joo'n is being sent back, because he's alive. I want to go with him."

John Coltrane looks at Julian. "You are his soulmate, and a living soul brought here for reasons you know not." It is a statement of fact, not a question.

"Yes, Mr Coltrane," Julian says, putting his arm around Noel, and feeling Noel do the same.

"It truly is a love supreme, when soulmates find each other no matter where in the Universe they may wander," John Coltrane says reverently. "Noel, do you have faith that you can safely return home?"

Without hesitation, Noel proclaims that he does.

"One positive thought produces millions of positive vibrations, my child," John Coltrane tells him.

He softly touches Noel's brow with his lips. A healthy pink glow spreads over Noel, and although his beauty does not diminish, it becomes less unearthly.

John Coltrane turns to Julian, saying, "My son, I feel the spirit of jazz in you. Remember to play every day, and give your listeners a picture of the Universe through your music. Go deep, Julian. Do good."

Julian asks shyly, "Mr Coltrane, sir? Will I ever be a great jazz musician?"

John Coltrane looks serious, and says, "No, my son. But you will be famous, and your music will be heard all over the world, in ways you cannot imagine now. And companions and helpmates will be sent to you, so that you need not work alone."

Julian bows his head in silent thanks for Lord Coltrane's blessing.

John Coltrane turns to the assessment room at large, saying, "I decree that Noel shall return to the Earth from whence he came, to accompany Julian on his journey. And I charge you all to give them safe passage home."

"But My Lord, that is against the rules," Chief Dharmayama says to him, even while Dennis tries to gently restrain him.

"Damn the rules. All that matters is feeling," says John Coltrane impassively.

"My Lord, I am here to administer Divine Law, and the law states that once someone has been assessed as going Forward, they must continue Forward, not go back," Dharmayama insists.

"I am here to remind you of a Higher Law - those who Love have joined together, let no person put asunder," John Coltrane says. "Nasati, you broke that law once before, did you not?"

"That was almost a thousand years ago," Dharmayama says. "I had been a judge for less than half a century then."

Dennis speaks up, saying, "My Lord, I think if Nasati had been with his soulmate at that time, he might have made a different decision."

"And you will be separated from your soulmate again soon, won't you?" John Coltrane says. Dharmayama nods unhappily, and he continues, "I make this vow to you, Nasati. Once you have set right what you did wrong, you will be permitted to retire as a judge, and may join your soulmate on Earth, to assist him in his task."

Nasati Dharmayama's eyes light up, as Dennis takes his hand and gives it a squeeze. "Thank you, my sweet Lord."

"And Marcus, when that day comes, you shall become Chief Justice in Nasati's place," John Coltrane adds. "You saved your client's life, and his soul today. Well done, my good and faithful servant."

"I am honoured, My Lord," Marcus says with a little bow. "By the way, Chief Justice Dharmayama, I am submitting a formal request that when my client Mr Pettifer arrives at the Waystation again at the end of his life, he be allowed to go Forward immediately, in order to make amends for the inconvenience our errors have put him through. Please make sure that request is included in his file."

"You know, when you are a judge, you are going to discover what a nuisance Case Workers can be," Dharmayama grumbles good-naturedly.

Marcus hears a beeping noise, and takes his pager from his pocket. "I have just been assigned as Case Worker to our new arrival, Julian Barratt," he announces. "I will, of course, be advocating that he also be permitted to go Forward at once, in compensation for the pain and suffering he's endured."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro