43 - The Saviour

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The next morning, I made one more visit before I went in search of him.

I knocked on the door of the peculiar looking house on the next hill over from the Burrow.

Xenophilius gave me a horrified look upon opening the door. To be fair on the dude, the last time I had appeared on his doorstep, his house got fucking blown up.

"Yes?" He asked abruptly.

"Is Luna about?" I asked, hopping up and down to look over his shoulder.

"She's at work." He replied gruffly.

Wow. Rude.

"Oh, well kudos to her for working for that git for this long." I said, my respect for the girl going up.

"Yes, well I was most certainly not happy about it when she told me." Xenophilius sneered, surprising me by the look of utter contempt on his face. I mean, I know Harry is a fucktard, but he still saved the world, I suppose.

"Oh well, I'll just pop by the Ministry and say hi there then." I shrugged, turning to leave.

"The Ministry?" Xenophilius frowned. "She didn't say anything about needing to be there today."

"Oh, Harry's got her out and about has he?" I said turning back to face him. "Well, at least she's not stuck making coffee for that jumped up gimp all day."

"Harry? As in Harry Potter?" Luna's father asked, looking utterly perplexed. "But she doesn't work for him."

"Well, where is she working?" I asked. I guess she got fed up with the twat after all.

"At Ron Appetit's, of course. Are you quite alright? Did you hit your head or something? I may have a cure somewhere-"

"NO!" I yelled quickly. I'd heard enough about the Lovegood's ideas of cures to know when it was time to get the fuck out of there. "Must dash, bye!"

"He's finally gone completely batty," I declared as I arrived back in the Burrow, "that nutjob seems to think that Luna is still working for me!"

Mum looked up from cradling my son. "But of course she is dear, where else would she be working?"

I had no idea what was going on, but it seemed the entire world had lost their fucking marbles.

There was no business. After that disaster of a wedding day, I didn't even get paid. And I certainly had no intention of chasing it up.

The business had been relying upon it, and so was completely finished by the time I left the country. There would have been no gold to pay Luna and I knew she wasn't exactly rolling in it either, so I failed to see how she could have kept it running herself.

Reclaiming my child, I immediately Apparated to Diagon Alley, hurrying to the building where I had attempted to build up my 'dream' business, before allowing it to spectacularly fail.

Except, as I stared up at the freshly painted lettering of 'Ron Appetit' above the front door, upon which displayed an 'open' sign; it was clear to me a finished business this was not.

"Ronnie! You're back!"

I jumped as a familiar voice sounded behind me. I whirled around, coming face to face with Luna who was carrying a tray upon which sat two coffees.

"Oh," She said, peering down curiously at the bundle in my arms. "Is that a baby?"

"No, it's a fucking hippogriff," I muttered, rolling my eyes. "Luna, what's going on? I thought you were going to shut up shop after I'd left?"

"Yes, well that was the plan, but then, of course, it changed." She said serenely, smiling up at me as though I ought to be understanding what the fuck she was going on about.

"But... how? Why?" I spluttered, feeling frustrated with her vagueness. "We had no gold left."

"Of course we did," she laughed, as if I was telling some fucking knock knock joke, "we had the money from the Peverell wedding, didn't we."

"But- but I didn't think we got paid?" I felt utterly confused. "I left without settling, seeing as I was partly the reason the wedding didn't go ahead."

"Oh, he made sure we got paid," Luna said.

"Who? Mr Peverell? Surely not?"

"Oh no, not him!" Luna gasped. "Our saviour did, of course. The business would never have pulled through without him. Oh, let me tell you, the wonderful ideas he has had! Quite a dab hand in the kitchen. I'd never have thought it."

Getting absolutely fucked off with her not giving me an actual name, I snatched the tray of coffees out of her hand before shoving my baby in her arms, and stormed into the office myself.

And my heart stilled.

For sitting behind my old desk, looking so very at home, sat the white-blond haired Slytherin I had been in love with since the days we walked the halls of Hogwarts.

"Draco," I breathed.

Slowly, as if hardly believing what he had heard, he looked up, silver grey eyes locking into mine.

My breath hitched in my throat as the world around us once again fell away.

"You came back," he choked, his voice breaking on the last word.

I nodded, shakily placing the tray down on the filing cabinet beside me.

My heart started hammering furiously in my ribcage as our eyes remained locked upon one another, and a small, almost nervous smile tugged at his lips.

And because I didn't know what else to do, I walked towards the desk and sat down upon the clients chair in front of him.

"It's good to see you again, Weasley," he said, his smile now reaching his eyes, twinkling through the creases.

"Draco," I said, tearing my eyes away from his to take a look around the office. "What's going on? Why are you here? Why is my business still going? Is it still even my business?"

He let out a soft chuckle. "Of course it's yours, Ronnie. I kept it running for you. Well, and Loony did too, I suppose."

"But I don't understand. Why would you do that for me? I left. I walked away from you."

Draco looked at me, sighing sadly. "When you left, I realised just how much I'd fucked up. And I realised too that it had all been my fault. And I wanted to say I was sorry, but I know how much you hate to hear that, especially by me. So I thought I'd show you instead by becoming the best person I know. You needed to go away with your brother, I understood that. I even understood that you may have never come back, and I would have accepted that because you see Ronnie, I don't just love you; I love you unconditionally."

I didn't know what to say, I was utterly speechless.

So in the end I settled for "But- but your father?"

His features instantly hardened, a fierce scowl etched deep in his brow. "I've not seen nor spoken to Lucius in seven months." He sneered.

"You're not living at home?" My insinuation was clear; you're not living off of Daddy, anymore?

"Your flat was still paid up until the end of last year, remember? I moved in there and am still there today. That is my home now. Well, actually, it can be your home again, if you want. I sort of kept it going for you. I have no intention of stealing your life, just keeping it warm for you for however long you needed."

I was completely dumbfounded. This guy had literally devoted his life to mine. "Draco, I- I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything. It's the least I could do for you. And if you wanted to step back into your old life then I have no qualms about walking away. I just want you to be happy."

"The thing is, Draco," I said slowly, wondering just how the fuck I should word this, "as much as I appreciate what you have done here, unfortunately I can't just step back into my old life anymore."

His face dropped slightly, but he quickly recovered himself. "It's okay, Ronnie, I understand. You don't have to explain. I'm not expecting anything in return. And I'm especially not expecting you to love me back."

"No, you don't understand." Fuck, how to explain that I was now a mother and he was too a father? "I can't step back into my old life because-"

But I was cut short by the bell above the door trilling as someone stepped in.

My heart stopped as I turned to see Luna holding my baby. Ah crap.

"For crying out loud, Lovegood," Draco sighed exasperatedly, "what have I told you before about taking babies off of the street?!"

Luna looked up in shock. "Sorry, but he keeps grizzling, I think he might be hungry or something."

"Well then please do return it back to its mother!" Draco spat, rolling his eyes as if she was a complete imbecile.

"I was just going to!" Luna said crossly before sweeping across the room and placing the bundle in my outstretched arms.

Well, I thought, as Draco went deathly still. That was one way to tell him.

"Ronnie?!" Draco eventually spluttered incredulously.

"Uh," Luna said, as if sensing she was about to intrude on a significant moment. "I'll just go and check to see if the refrigerator is still working."

And she quickly scurried through the back door.

"You- you had a baby?" Draco asked, his voice strangled.

"Two days ago," I whispered, feeling horrendously apprehensive all of a sudden. "That's why I came back. I wanted him to meet his father."

"His- his... father?"

Without saying anything, I stood up and slowly walked around the desk as Draco shakily got to his feet to face me.

I looked up into his eyes, grey eyes which were full of pain and confusion as they fearfully darted down to the baby in my arms.

"Ronnie, is he- is he-?"

"Draco, he's yours. Meet your son."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro