51 - Dark Days

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Mummy!"

I tried my hardest to give my son the biggest smile I could muster as he came running into my hospital room.

"Careful Scorpy," Dad warned before he could jump onto my bed. "Remember what we said about being gentle around Mummy."

"It's okay, Dad," I said weakly as I reached out a shaky arm so Scorp could put a small hand in mine.

"When are you coming home, Mummy?" He asked, his bottom lip quivering ever so slightly. "Daddy keeps crying. I think he needs a cuddle."

I felt my heart shatter. I hadn't seen nor heard from Draco since he walked out after my decision to continue with the pregnancy.

That was two weeks ago.

"He's struggling to accept your decision," Narcissa had explained when she visited me to apologise for her son's behaviour. "I have tried to explain how a mother's love starts for their child the moment life is in the womb; but it's difficult for him to understand. As far as he's concerned you are giving up on him and Scorp, and it's hurting him deeply."

"And it's not hurting me?" I cried. "I don't want to die. But I also don't want to live by sacrificing my baby."

"I know, my dear," she had cried with me, stroking my hair, "I know."

And now here was Scorp, telling me that his daddy was crying at home whilst his mummy was dying in hospital.

None of this was fair.

"Will you do something for me, little man?" I whispered to my son, who nodded solemnly. "Make sure you give Daddy plenty of hugs and tell him you love him lots and lots."

"Shall I draw him a picture?" He asked, his little face lighting up. "Daddy likes pictures. Do you think that will make him happy again, Mummy?"

I nodded as tears stared spilling down my face. "I think he'd love that, Scorp," I choked.

"How about we go and see what treats we can find in the vending machine today, young man," Mum said coaxingly, ushering Scorp from the room as I hurriedly wiped my face.

"Hey, hey," my father said kindly, but firmly. He took a seat beside my bed once the door closed behind them. "No tears, remember; we need positive thoughts for that baby."

I nodded, but I found it hard to remain positive without Draco by my side. I needed him, and I needed his support.

"He'll come round," my father tried to reassure me, as if reading my mind. "He's just frightened of losing you; if this had happened to your mother I think I'd have felt the same."

"But what if I- I... die?" I trembled as fresh tears fell down my face. "I won't get to say goodbye."

"I think, dear Ronnie," Dad sighed heavily, "that's exactly what he's avoiding."

The truth was though, even though I was still getting weaker, I was actually deteriorating a lot slower than expected. They had been pretty convinced I would be dead by now, but I was holding on, and so was the baby. It meant I couldn't leave the hospital though, not until my baby was cooked enough for it to be safely delivered.

It just made me more convinced I had made the right decision. And as the weeks passed by, Draco's complete lack of faith in our baby stopped hurting me and started angering me instead.

When I reached six months, the lead healer on my case entered my room with an extremely grave expression on his face.

I had been in hospital for almost two months now, and by this point, I could barely turn my head I had become so weak.

"Miss Weasley, your latest test results have come back and I am here to strongly urge you to agree to let us deliver your baby. Your organs are showing signs of beginning to shut down and now this is the only way either of you have a chance of survival."

"But, it's... too... early," I rasped weakly. I was so furious with myself. I'd managed to survive this long, why couldn't I hold on for just a bit longer? Six months felt too risky to bring a baby into the world.

"But it's doable, Miss Weasley," the Healer implored. "Babies have survived in this very hospital after being delivered at this stage in pregnancy. If your baby remains in you when you die - and you will die if you continue like this - then the chances of your baby's survival will be greatly lessened. I cannot force you to comply, it is still your body and therefore your right; but I am urging you to extend your faith in us."

I started to cry; I couldn't think. I needed Draco.

But it seemed, despite everything we had been through; he had completely given up on me.

Draco Malfoy stared morosely at the untouched Firewhisky in his hand as the doorbell continued to trill around him.

He didn't want to answer it; he just couldn't face any visitors. The pitying looks and the words of condolences; it was like she was already fucking dead.

He felt another wave of fury wash over him. He was so angry at her; so fucking hurt that she didn't love him and Scorp enough to want to stay alive for them.

He couldn't understand why they weren't enough for her, when he had told her time and time again that she and Scorp were everything he needed.

She had made herself ill trying for this baby. A baby that was going to be the death of her. He couldn't help but feel resentful about it. He no longer thought of the foetus growing inside of her as his child, but rather a thing that was slowly killing the woman he loved more than anything in the world.

And she was allowing it to happen.

The bell trilled again and Draco brought the glass to his lips. But he didn't sip it; couldn't bring himself to drown his sorrows anymore.

Ronnie's parents had taken on the care of Scorp over the past month and even though they brought him round daily to visit; they refused to leave him in Draco's care whilst he reeked of alcohol.

"I understand that you're going through a hard time, Draco," Arthur had said sternly, yet not unkindly one morning, when not for the first time, Draco had answered the door bleary eyed. "But Scorpy needs his father; not some drunk who refuses to accept the situation they are in."

So, he was trying for his son.

The bell trilled again, and getting fed up with it, Draco slammed down his glass and dragged himself out of his armchair to the front door.

George Weasley stood in the threshold, looking absolutely thunderous.

"Now I know for some unfathomable reason that my parents are being all calm and tiptoeing around you," he snarled angrily, jabbing a furious finger in Draco's chest. "But I will not fucking stand by and watch you hurt my sister yet a-fucking-gain!"

"SHE'S CHOOSING TO DIE!" Draco bellowed. "She's choosing to give up on me and Scorp and just let this... thing kill her! And I won't watch her do that. I can't."

"NO SHE FUCKING ISN'T! SHE'S CHOOSING TO SAVE YOUR CHILD YOU ABSOLUTE STUPID FUCKING MORON!"

Draco felt momentarily winded and had to bring his hand up to the doorframe to steady himself.

"She's just spent the last two months tirelessly willing her body to keep going to give her unborn baby a chance of survival." George continued, his voice shaking in anger. "And what have you been doing? Sitting around feeling fucking sorry for yourself because your girlfriend isn't putting you first! You selfish fucking prick! I gave you a second chance, man. I really wanted to believe you had changed for Ronnie and Scorp. But you are still the same fucking coward you always were at school, Malfoy."

"I- I-" Draco was at a loss for words. He had no response. All of this was because he loved Ronnie so much. But he was still so angry at her, and he didn't know if he could forgive her for not loving him enough.

"I'm here to beg you to do the right thing." George breathed heavily. "Do the right thing by the woman you supposedly love before it's too late."

They were prepping me for theatre.

I couldn't stop crying.

"Draco," I sobbed. I wanted to tell them to stop; that I couldn't do this without Draco, that I didn't want to go without saying goodbye. But I was too weak to form the words.

I knew it wasn't likely I would survive this. I could already feel my life ebbing away.

And, as they wheeled me away, I just prayed that at least my baby would live.

Draco's heart hammered in his chest as he flew into Ronnie's hospital room.

She was gone.

No, he thought desperately, driving his hands frustratedly through his hair, no, no, no.

He fell back out into the corridor, wondering what to do.

And that's when he saw her being wheeled away through a door in the far distance.

"Ronnie!" He cried, pushing people aside as he frantically tried to reach her.

Hands grabbed him, a stern looking security guard preventing him from going through the now closed door. "I'm sorry sir, but you can't go in there."

"But that's my girlfriend! That's my Ronnie!" He sobbed, feeling utterly wretched. "She needs me... and I need her."

And as Draco Malfoy sank to the floor, he knew he'd been a fucking idiot once again.

I was scared, I had never been more terrified in my life. I felt myself violently shaking as a large green sheet went up in front of my face, shielding me from view of my stomach.

I felt my eyes begin to close. I was exhausted.

"Stay with us, Miss Weasley," an unknown female voice spoke. "Just a bit longer now, let's get your baby out."

But I didn't think I could.

And then there was a noise; some sort of commotion from far off.

"Ronnie!"

My eyes flew open at the familiar voice, my slowing heart starting to flutter in hope.

And then there he was; the white-blond haired Slytherin.

"Draco," I breathed as a hand grabbed at mine, squeezing it tightly; giving me life.

"I'm here, Ronnie," he sobbed. "I'm here."

And I felt a single tear roll down my cheek in relief as I clung onto him.

"We'll get through this," he whispered. "Just stay strong Ronnie, stay strong for our baby."

Our baby.

And then darkness came.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro